HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You answered half his question. Not surprising which half you took a swing at, but let's take a look at the whole picture.

Semin isn't bad defensively, is a good/very good PKer, and can be an elite scorer. Assuming the rest of the roster stays the same, do you think his flaws are bad enough that the Caps would be a better team without him on it?
I answered half his question? He only asked one. Is the team better with or without Semin.

I said without.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Blinders.
Do you have a winger in mind to replace Semin? That doesn't cause us to open more holes to acquire?

Old
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I think the money is a lot tighter than you suggest, to be honest. I don't think they signed Ribeiro with the idea that there was still room for Semin's salary. That dude is going to make bank, and what is more worrisome, he's going to get a major commitment out of whoever does so. I suspect he's not settling for less than $7M/yr and five plus years. I think they only took on the Ribeiro salary because they knew the Semin salary would not be on the books.

It's free to add a free agent, but it's $7M on the books. Make a trade, and you get a cheaper player, and send salary back the other way.

McPhee likes his teams to have room at the deadline. Last year didn't seem to sit right with him. Even assuming a free hand from Leonsis, I doubt McPhee emulates that model. I think he's going to leave cap room for deadline additions.
If Semin is asking for that it's a no brainer to let him walk.

But I don't think he is... Maye his agent is, but I think Semin himself probably wants to stay in Washington. Maybe it will require a waiting game to see who gives in first.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:56 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Do you have a winger in mind to replace Semin? That doesn't cause us to open more holes to acquire?
Honest to god....Id rather play Galiev there and see what happens compared to another year of Semin and his offensive zone penalties.

As for free agents since you seem to be hung up on not trading anyone...I dont see anyone out there at RW that appeals to me right now.

Its just time to move on.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Carlzner

I'm not open to trading anyone (or at least what it would take for Ryan) because a 2nd line winger is the last piece.

I've thought about Galiev, but I don't think he's ready... Especially on a cup contending team. I guess we'll see in Camp.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
aquablue

Quote:
Honest to god....Id rather play Galiev there and see what happens compared to another year of Semin and his offensive zone penalties.

As for free agents since you seem to be hung up on not trading anyone...I dont see anyone out there at RW that appeals to me right now.

Its just time to move on.
You want to win a cup soon, or in 5 years? We need experienced players not rooks.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
I answered half his question? He only asked one. Is the team better with or without Semin.

I said without.
Are you talking intangibles and all the other unquantifiable aspects or just point totals? I have a hard time believing anyone would think the Caps finish with fewer points with Semin on the roster than without him.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:05 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Are you talking intangibles and all the other unquantifiable aspects or just point totals? I have a hard time believing anyone would think the Caps finish with fewer points with Semin on the roster than without him.
I think they play better as an overall team without him, and in turn have just as many points in the standings as they did last year (hinging on player health of course). So if anything...I say they are no better...no worse. Its a push.

Would Semin get his stats if brought back? Im sure he would. Would the team be better off with him in the line up with a proven center on that second line? Maybe..maybe not. I'm just done with him. Have been for about 2 full years now. So its hard for me to justify bringing him back now at the price he's either asking for or will get. Use the money for other needs and uses.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:07 PM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

It's really huge factor to have a talent like Semin gone with a gaping hole at 1st line RW!! (lets be honest Brouwer and MoJo aren't 1st line wingers)

We need a hot talent at right winger I don't think it would do a ton of damage to Forsberg to buy him over to Hershey this season and jump start his NHL career by letting him play a split season. You know we are going to expect to see his name in the lineup 2013-14 season anyway.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:07 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Ha, there is no one reality when you are dealing with future possibilities. Come back next time with a better response.
Ironic coming from the guy whose only point is "This roster will never win a cup!"

Old
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

Looks like Perreault signed a 2 year contract no details. Source is Louis Robitaille's twitter.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwegand View Post
It's really huge factor to have a talent like Semin gone with a gaping hole at RW!! (lets be honest Brouwer and MoJo aren't 1st line wingers)

We need a hot talent at right winger I don't think it would do a ton of damage to Forsberg to buy him over to Hershey this season and jump start his NHL career by letting him play a split season. You know we are going to expect to see his name in the lineup 2013-14 season anyway.
He's only 17, has one more year left on his SEL contract, and he's not NHL ready.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Looks like Perreault signed a 2 year contract no details. Source is Louis Robitaille's twitter.
Oh joy.

Old
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Toronto just traded away from an already shallow D corps. I'd at least explore Schultz/Erskine + pick for MacArthur/Kulemin.

Old
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Hopefully $1mil total... Not $1mil per.

And Robitaille... Wasn't he a Hershey player a few years ago? Or maybe he still is? Name is familiar.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Toronto just traded away from an already shallow D corps. I'd at least explore Schultz/Erskine + pick for MacArthur/Kulemin.
They don't have a shallow D corps, and that is nowhere close in value.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
changeiskonstant

Quote:
We don't.
Not being facetious, but how do you know Semin won't produce with a legit center (and a full year to develop chemistry) now that we have Ribeiro?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
I think they play better as an overall team without him, and in turn have just as many points in the standings as they did last year (hinging on player health of course). So if anything...I say they are no better...no worse. Its a push.

Would Semin get his stats if brought back? Im sure he would. Would the team be better off with him in the line up with a proven center on that second line? Maybe..maybe not. I'm just done with him. Have been for about 2 full years now. So its hard for me to justify bringing him back now at the price he's either asking for or will get. Use the money for other needs and uses.
This is the key. Right now they're not using his money at all.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

And Robitaille... Wasn't he a Hershey player a few years ago? Or maybe he still is? Name is familiar.
Yes. He was one of the most fun and hated players in the AHL. Watching that guy in the league was awesome.

Old
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
This is the key. Right now they're not using his money at all.
They dont HAVE to use it right now. Its July 5th. Just as long as they do when the time calls for it.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Laich lived on PP goals. Take those away and you get a guy who has averaged 12.5 ES goals the last 5 seasons. Chimera has averaged 14 ES goals his last 6 full seasons and will cost almost $3M less the next 2 years. Just because Laich is the best option of currently rostered players for 2LW doesn't mean he's a good fit there. He'd be a good 3LW at about $2M less per season but the Caps already have that player in Chimera.
PP goals count just as much as ESG.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Ironic coming from the guy whose only point is "This roster will never win a cup!"
Indeed. The future isn't reality unless he says it is.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

You're hoping for a contract below league minimum? Ok.

I'm expecting about 2yr/$2.2 million

Old
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
They dont HAVE to use it right now. Its July 5th. Just as long as they do when the time calls for it.
I would argue that now (meaning this off-season) is an excellent time to use that money (wisely).

Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Just in the East: Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Y'know, contenders. That list could very well increase if Semin remains in the East and Nash/Ryan also come East. If they want to hang with the big boys to go deep they need another weapon or else they'll once again largely have to rely on defensive consistency making a difference. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 40-goal guy...a reliable upper 20's to mid 30's will do.
Boston had no 30 goal scorers, Philly's only 30 goal scorer was a top line player, and both of Pittsburgh's were on the top line.

Closed Thread