HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
How many of those goals would you call goal scorer's goals? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see Laich as some magical PP performer whose goals couldn't have been replicated by someone like Chimera for much less money.

Trivia question for all those in love with the $4.5M man since flexibility is often cited as one of his main attributes.

6 centers on the Caps took more than 400 draws (or in Beagle's case was on pace for that many). Where did ol' Brooksie fall in that list?

Hint: It rhymes with lumber jive.
Who cares if they're goal scorer's goals? The guy's averaged 20 goals over the last 5 seasons. His goal scoring isn't a fluke.

On the draws--again, who cares?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I spent a solid 60 seconds trying to figure out what the hell you are talking about and I'm stumped. Since when have the Caps been known as a team that went overboard for gritty top-6 forwards?

Are you trying to draw a link between Brendan Morrow (280+ career goals, multiple 30 goal seasons) and Joel Ward or something?
Morrow is on the wrong side of 29.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Morrow is on the wrong side of 29.
Ok...what does that have to do with your prior post? Are you interpreting "gritty" as a euphamism for old? Because when I used the term "gritty", I meant...gritty.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Dream Big

Congratulations to Matthew Perreault's signing. I like what he brings and he has put on size. Like.

Old
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Who cares if they're goal scorer's goals? The guy's averaged 20 goals over the last 5 seasons. His goal scoring isn't a fluke.
This. They don't ask how, they ask how many.

Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Ok...what does that have to do with your prior post? Are you interpreting "gritty" as a euphamism for old? Because when I used the term "gritty", I meant...gritty.
I'm saying he's not a skill player. Which is why we are having this whole top six discussion to begin with.

We have plenty of "gritty" wingers. Ward. Brouwer. Laich. Crabb.

We don't have plenty of Ovechkins.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
He played on Canada's gold medal winning olympic team in 2010 and backed that up with 33 goals in 2010-2011. That sucks? Sure, he had a rough, injury-plagued year last year. That doesn't make him a bad player.

Obviously, the Caps would need to do their due dilligence on his health though.
How many times did you watch him last season?

As a Texas resident, I guarantee it wasn't more than me.

He took a steep steep fall.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
He played on Canada's gold medal winning olympic team in 2010 and backed that up with 33 goals in 2010-2011. That sucks? Sure, he had a rough, injury-plagued year last year. That doesn't make him a bad player.

Obviously, the Caps would need to do their due dilligence on his health though.
Morrow had one bad season.

At 4.1mil for 1-yr, he'd be worth it. Especially if he's cheap. GMGM's fav type of trade, low risk/high reward

Old
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Congratulations to Matthew Perreault's signing. I like what he brings and he has put on size. Like.
Has he put on size? If so then that's awesome. I think he could have a breakout season given the opportunity.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:59 PM
amjay13

Morrow isn't a 30 goal scorer anymore but he can get 20 and add some grit. I'd be pleased with his addition.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

for 2 mill hes gonna be 3rd line center i thinks

I think MP might develop nicey with oates teaching him

Old
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Perreault back for 2 years
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...medium=twitter
edit: man I'm slow

Old
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
How many times did you watch him last season?

As a Texas resident, I guarantee it wasn't more than me.

He took a steep steep fall.
I have no doubt you saw him way more than me. But you're taking a guy who has played at a pretty consistent .33 goals per game pace since the lockout and washing it all away based on one season in which he dealt with a bunch of injuries and lost his top-6 role due to the emergence of Jamie Benn and Ryder's bounce-back year.

Have we seen players go off the cliff before? Sure. But it's not common. And when health is so clearly part of the equation, I think you're making an extremely hasty assumption to say he went from elite to done in 1 year at the age of 32 or 33.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Dream Big

With regards to Semin's signing. I think he has preferences for where he would go. So those teams have leverage. New Y or J, possibly Detroit or any hot climate. Preferably along the east coast. I can't see him in Texas. Florida or Tampa could offer a low long term and it may be what he'd go for.

A team that is out of the playoffs early would be attractive so he can go play in the worlds.

I don't think he is totally all about the money.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Roughing

I've been gone for two days and we still didn't do anything, huh?

Man, I remember when FA was a fun time...

Old
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post

Like when we got Poti and Nylander?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
I like Perreault. I think he is going to have a breakout season.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post

Remember when Phil Housley was our biggest UFA? Lol, I remember thinking we are finally going to get respect.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

On the draws--again, who cares?
Everyone should care. If you're going to pay a guy $4.5M, he should be able to produce at ES. If you want a guy to hang around the crease on the PP to tap in 6-10 goals a year, you can get someone making a lot less than $4.5M to do it.

If you're just going to completely ignore faceoffs (which you should since he was pretty horrible at them- 47th out of the 55 players who took 1000+ draws), then he should be evaluated strictly in the context of left wingers. $4.5M should buy you more than the 16 goals he's scored each of the last 2 seasons.

Laich is in the top 60 cap hits for forwards. He was tied for 146th in goals by forwards. Take away his mythical flexibility and you're left with an overpaid, underperforming 2LW.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take Morrow in a heartbeat. 1 year left on his contract, coming off an injury-plagued season and hungry for a new deal. Sounds like a guy with something to prove. This team needs more vet leadership and Morrow fills a lot of needs.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Halpysback

Moar grinderz!

Moar!

Old
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I like Perreault. I'm hoping he surprises. Thought he could have helped this year with his creativity but Hunter said "no" (in the playoffs).

Old
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Everyone should care. If you're going to pay a guy $4.5M, he should be able to produce at ES. If you want a guy to hang around the crease on the PP to tap in 6-10 goals a year, you can get someone making a lot less than $4.5M to do it.

If you're just going to completely ignore faceoffs (which you should since he was pretty horrible at them- 47th out of the 55 players who took 1000+ draws), then he should be evaluated strictly in the context of left wingers. $4.5M should buy you more than the 16 goals he's scored each of the last 2 seasons.

Laich is in the top 60 cap hits for forwards. He was tied for 146th in goals by forwards. Take away his mythical flexibility and you're left with an overpaid, underperforming 2LW.
No, no one should care. The only thing we should care about is whether he scores goals, which he does.

So you're saying if one isn't good at faceoffs, they shouldn't be considered a center? Shouldn't we then consider Malkin, Stamkos, Elias, Jokinen, Getzlaf, Legwand, Backes, Lecavalier, Gagner, Nielsen, Berglund, et al. in the context of wingers?

Speaking of context, you're completely ignoring the context of Laich's role, and the context under which he got his contract.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Morrow sucks.
Morrow does not suck. Why do you keep saying that, other than just your own personal bias?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
artilector

Thumbs up for Perreault returning.

With at least 3 play-making centers in the fold (3.75 if you put MJ at C, lol), and only 1 sniper on a wing, it does seem that the lineup is out of balance. Caps' centers aren't quite the type that can make scrubs into 30G scorers..

I think the team is going to be slightly better than last year, just based on some young players continuing to develop; but the balance isn't really there to be a top contender. It's like the opposite of the years when we had Ovi, Semin, Flash, Fehr, Kozlov/Knuble and only one good center, now its Backstrom, Ribeiro, Perreault, MJ and only one Ovi.

So unless a guy like Galiev can surprise, or McPhee pulls a rabbit out of a hat, I'm not expecting much from next season. Graceful 2nd round exit, ECF at most. Hopefully Oates can get the team to play a good aggressive style, but they just don't have the teeth to take the best teams down, at this point.

Closed Thread