HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  #501
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post


I think this Free Agent Frenzy offsets the amazing draft day we had.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  #502
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Mp85 has heart and skill there is no doubt.

Something just isn't there to make him amazing

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  #503
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
This is rich.
The condescending tools throwing out their token SDF eurotrash putdowns since they don't have anything else to go on that wouldn't be logically torn apart?

I agree. If only we were all macho uber north american douches. Sadly only a select few seem to have that quality.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  #504
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
You're right, by itself it doesn't equal a leader. The rest of the stuff combined with that does.

He's leading by example with his work ethic. He's the frontman to the press and the NHLPA rep for the team. If that doesn't prove a guy has stepped up and taken on the extra responsibilities that a leader typically does, well then nothing will in the eyes of his critics.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
  #505
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 20,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I guess Jay Beagle is far and away the biggest leader on the team. Give him the C.
You conveniently ignore the whole 'watching him at practice' comment. Plan a trip down to Arlington for training camp if you can. Watch how he interacts with the other players (especially the young ones). That's the closest glimpse we, as fans, have into the locker room dynamic. And that is indicative of Laich being a leader.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
  #506
Langway
Proud Mediocrity
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,945
vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

Langway is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
  #507
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Hmm I could see Perreault really breaking out with 25g 25a or something along those lines if he gets a chance in the top 6, but I wouldn't bet on it. Most likely a 15-20g 15-20a guy. Probably shouldn't be in the top 6 on a contender at the moment, but we will see

caps4cup is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
  #508
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 500
Leadership only matters when you produce according to your contract. Clark was by all accounts a good leader, a captain, and none of that mattered when he was shipped out, and nobody missed him (in terms of hockey).

Conversely, Richards and Carter were kicked out of Philly because of supposed lack of accountability/leadership/commitment/yadayada.. that didn't prevent them from raising the Cup in a big F U to Philly.

You don't want outright d-bags on your team, but beyond that, you need to maximize performance/contract ratio, everything else is mostly fluff. And it's ironic that the people who love to toss around the soft euro crap are the ones that gobble up that fluff like there is no tomorrow.

artilector is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
  #509
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Mp85 has heart and skill there is no doubt.

Something just isn't there to make him amazing
We should give him top minutes in every situation, have him be average at it or straight up get manhandled, and then gush about his ultra gritty leadership.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
  #510
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 500
So...

Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Perreault - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

I mean...who needs Semin when we have Perreault?! All the Semin defenders should be behind this 100%!

strungout is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
  #511
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,657
vCash: 500
Watch them stick MP85 in the 2RW, he scores 22g and SDF heads start exploding all around us....should be entertaining...

Exactly the type of move Humble George would make....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
  #512
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
We should give him top minutes in every situation, have him be average at it or straight up get manhandled, and then gush about his ultra gritty leadership.
He did way better in the top 6 then he did on the bottom 6. Put him on the wing one the 2nd line and I can see him putting up 20 goals

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
  #513
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So...

Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Perreault - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

I mean...who needs Semin when we have Perreault?! All the Semin defenders should be behind this 100%!
Do you still believe we're better without Semin now? Perreault is a better 2LW than Semin?

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:00 PM
  #514
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You conveniently ignore the whole 'watching him at practice' comment. Plan a trip down to Arlington for training camp if you can. Watch how he interacts with the other players (especially the young ones). That's the closest glimpse we, as fans, have into the locker room dynamic. And that is indicative of Laich being a leader.
Okay, that's fair enough. I don't live nearby so I have no basis to comment on it. I'll take your word for it, but Captain Laich is still a myth based almost entirely on image and intuition. Just as many of the judgments of Semin are. I'm certainly not denying that Laich's work ethic is a positive and has a positive effect on the team's practice culture, but that and talking to the media do not make him a leader. I can't comment on how he looks at practice.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
  #515
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Watch them stick MP85 in the 2RW, he scores 22g and SDF heads start exploding all around us....should be entertaining...

Exactly the type of move Humble George would make....
I've got it!!!

Galiev - Ribeiro - Perreault

The Q line.

Points oozing out of their ears.

strungout is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
  #516
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Do you still believe we're better without Semin now? Perreault is a better 2LW than Semin?
Haven't you heard? Semin is the worst player in the history of the NHL and single-handedly responsible for all of our playoff failures. It's obvious because he doesn't talk much and has cold streaks unlike every other player.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
  #517
aquablue
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So...

Ovie - Backstrom - Mojo
Perreault - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

I mean...who needs Semin when we have Perreault?! All the Semin defenders should be behind this 100%!
Pathetic.

aquablue is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
  #518
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Do you still believe we're better without Semin now? Perreault is a better 2LW than Semin?
Sure.

He'll bust his ass trying. Ill give the little ****er that.

strungout is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
  #519
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
What personal bias?

Sure it's an exaggeration, but he's not a top 6 player anymore.
Personal Bias against him (I dont know why, I could assume its bc you've "watched him a lot this past year").

I'd love to get Morrow

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:03 PM
  #520
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Leadership only matters when you produce according to your contract. Clark was by all accounts a good leader, a captain, and none of that mattered when he was shipped out, and nobody missed him (in terms of hockey).

Conversely, Richards and Carter were kicked out of Philly because of supposed lack of accountability/leadership/commitment/yadayada.. that didn't prevent them from raising the Cup in a big F U to Philly.

You don't want outright d-bags on your team, but beyond that, you need to maximize performance/contract ratio, everything else is mostly fluff. And it's ironic that the people who love to toss around the soft euro crap are the ones that gobble up that fluff like there is no tomorrow.
You conveniently omitted that Clark was also out longterm because of injury, effectively hindering him as Captain over a long period of time before he was moved. HUGE asterisk...

I do agree that you need a balance overall in the performance/contract ratio, however some guys will never "produce" in the eyes of some "fans" because they rate players entirely on goals and points and don't understand or choose to completely discount things like chemistry, leadership, and other intangibles.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
  #521
aquablue
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Sure.

He'll bust his ass trying. Ill give the little ****er that.
So ridiculous. Effort means nothing without know how.

aquablue is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:05 PM
  #522
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Do you still believe we're better without Semin now? Perreault is a better 2LW than Semin?
Mp85- tries his hardest every game

Semin- doesn't.

Semin also takes STUPID penalties which leads to goals

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
  #523
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Watch them stick MP85 in the 2RW, he scores 22g and SDF heads start exploding all around us....should be entertaining...

Exactly the type of move Humble George would make....
Is skill and impact measured in goals now?

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
  #524
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Mp85- tries his hardest every game

Semin- doesn't.

Semin also takes STUPID penalties which leads to goals
Yeah, that's why he's one of our highest scorers and consistently one of our best defensive players despite playing with mediocre linemates for just about all of his career.

Semin tries, it's obvious from actually watching him play, people would just rather **** a termite nest than acknowledge it.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
  #525
tmljeh19
Registered User
 
tmljeh19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not what I said. It's cool though, if you need to twist what I said to have any sort of point, more power to you.
The FO aren't failures for making not progress in the playoffs over a 5 freaking year span. Don't you even try to back out of saying that now that you realize how dumb it sounds!

tmljeh19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.