HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Deflect deflect SDF...when at first you don't succeed, start pointing the finger at all your other team members.
No lets point fingers all at ONE player who actually won us a playoff series here and there and absolve everyone else of the blame. It makes too much sense not to.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
have you seen any of the past cup winners, did they trade away all of their players after there failures?
When they become UFAs

Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
But this comment can be said about anyone on the team. If Ovi scores a couple more, if Nicky scores a couple more, if Laich scores a couple more.

And I can reverse it and say if Semin didn't score the goals against Boston... then what?

The fact is its a team game. Anyone could've scored those two extra goals.
Like a brilliant man once said (and I use the term 'brilliant' very loosely).

Quote:
It's pointless. No amount of reason will sway the inner fan boys of the SDF [Semin Denial Force].

Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
When they become UFAs

Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
um

Quote:
You could just swap teams again like when you jumped on board when Ovechkin was drafted?
i actually jumped on board in 2001, and the caps are the only team ive ever cheered for

Old
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Like a brilliant man once said (and I use the term 'brilliant' very loosely).

Old
BobRouse

Quote:
LOL...only at HFboards does a guy repeatedly failing prove that the team will fail even more without him.

Apathy breeds contempt. Making the same killer boneheaded mistakes over and over year after year breeds contempt.

Come on Tinner, you've got a lot better in you than this fearmongering.
CCF,

Do you understand just who you are talking to? I think my history of opinions stands for itself! Over the past 10-15 years of messageboarding I can think of only a couple posters who have been more critical of the team, "soft euros", and GEORGE MCPHEE than myself!

This is a team game. Losing Semin doesn't make us a better team by default.

Most fans I've observed over the years always gang up on a couple players to scapegoat. When Semin is gone we will scapegoat someone to take his place.

The main problem is that GMGM has not been able to find the right "mix" of players. It is not Semin in particular that is the problem.

Without Semin we will have exactly 1 pure scorer on the team and many grinders and a few playermakers. That doesnt ring "right mix" to me.

Our biggest problem over the years has been the lack to the intimidating top 4 dman really and overall team toughness.

Players like Semin have a role on the team and he has done a good job filling it for the most part despite never having a 2C consistently.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
CCF,

Do you understand just who you are talking to? I think my history of opinions stands for itself! Over the past 10-15 years of messageboarding I can think of only a couple posters who have been more critical of the team, "soft euros", and GEORGE MCPHEE than myself!

Most fans I've observed over the years always gang up on a couple players to scapegoat. When Semin is gone we will scapegoat someone to take his place.

The main problem is that GMGM has not been able to find the right "mix" of players. It is not Semin in particular that is the problem.

Without Semin we will have exactly 1 pure scorer on the team and many grinders and a few playermakers. That doesnt ring "right mix" to me.

Our biggest problem over the years has been the lack to the intimidating top 4 dman really and overall team toughness.

Players like Semin have a role on the team and he has done a good job filling it for the most part despite never having a 2C consistently.
Uh oh, someone gets it, prepare to get ganged up on for not toeing the company line

Old
07-06-2012, 02:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
And if he doesn't score one against Thomas when Backstrom selfishly got himself suspended (yay Backstrom he's so smart and disciplined and gritty tho) then we're out in the first round. And if he doesn't carry us when Hunter is figuring things out from December til April we're near the lottery drafting a Forsberg or a Grigorienko. Damn you Semin

If we wanna play the what-if game Ward and his high stick should be out the door before him. And holtby for giving that turd up to Richards which neutered the whole team 1 minute into game 7.
Thank god he scored that one goal. Extend him for a decade.

And how could I forget his heroic performance under Hunter in the regular season. 16 goals, 28 assists, 44 points, 56 games.

Prorates to 23-41-64.

$7 million stuff right there.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
CCF,

Do I know who I'm talking to? Is this like a celeb asking a cop "do you know who I am?".

And I agree, simply losing Semin doesn't make us better, but it's a step in a different direction. The core of this team needed a shakeup and Semin made himself the sacrificial lamb through his apathy and play on the ice. If there's a scapegoat, Semin did it to himself.

The team is at a crossroads. The same core group has tried repeatedly and failed. You're suggesting that they keep trying and failing while I'm suggesting they try a new mix of players.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Yea, imagine what you could get with 7 million dollars of cap room.

No, you literally have to imagine it because we have like twice that and we are not using it.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If he wants $7 million, let him walk, fine.

And replace him with something that will provide more value.

Not GMGM's MO which is to spend the money anyway but on overpaid 4th liners instead.

07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If you want to talk about notable Caps playoff failures, you start with the best Caps team of all time going out in the first round to an 8th seed.

Who was the biggest no-show in that series?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
um

Quote:
Do I know who I'm talking to? Is this like a celeb asking a cop "do you know who I am?".

And I agree, simply losing Semin doesn't make us better, but it's a step in a different direction. The core of this team needed a shakeup and Semin made himself the sacrificial lamb through his apathy and play on the ice. If there's a scapegoat, Semin did it to himself.

The team is at a crossroads. The same core group has tried repeatedly and failed. You're suggesting that they keep trying and failing while I'm suggesting they try a new mix of players.
your suggesting 36 year old shane doan?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Thank god he scored that one goal. Extend him for a decade.

And how could I forget his heroic performance under Hunter in the regular season. 16 goals, 28 assists, 44 points, 56 games.

Prorates to 23-41-64.

Yeah, I can't believe he didn't put up a 50-50 season in Dale Hunter's awesome offense-first system like Ovechkin. Or play solid defense while at it. What a bum.

Pretty sure he scored a few other goals, hustled and played well enough to have everyone talking him up after the end of the first round. "Semin bought in". "Semin learned to defend". Blah blah blah. Then his epic play on Chimera's game 6 goal against the Rangers that let us get to game 7. I wonder if Backstrom gets a bunch of gifs and a statue to himself if he does something like that. The endless slurpage over his play on Anisimov seems to indicate that he does.

But hey, we lost game 7, so naturally everything is his fault.

But no don't let that get in the way of the bashfest.

Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
If you want to talk about notable Caps playoff failures, you start with the best Caps team of all time going out in the first round to an 8th seed.

Green.

Old
um

Quote:

theodore

Old
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
What's wrong with a 36 year old Shane Doan as a short-term solution?

(And I don't see where in his post he's suggesting that).

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Green.
More points than Semin.

Old
Halpysback

Quote:

The dude with the most shots obviously.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:

The coach.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Some have suggested that. I like the player sure, but I'm not concerned about it today.

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
More points than Semin.
Less defense also.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
theodore
Ah yes, Theo's performance in two games (one of which the Caps won) was the reason the Caps lost the series Brilliant.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The coach.
Ding ding ding

Closed Thread