HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Teams play their best shutdown players against Ovi either way. A dangerous 2nd line won't change that, but it will provide the much needed scoring when Ovi struggles.
Generally they do it, then Semin lights them up, then they ease up on Ovi a bit, then he lights them up, and it goes back and forth. Now they can give him the same treatment Detroit gave Crosby in 2009.

Less secondary scoring and more coverage on Ovechkin. Sounds like a plan.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And that's the rub with this whole build through the draft and trades strategy. The Caps don't have the necessary depth to make too many impact trades because they haven't done well enough in the FA market.
...and they haven't drafted well enough overall either, be it the first round busts or in moving picks for mediocre rentals. If the main source of asset depth lift is via the draft then a drafting and development machine has to be in place. They have yet to attain that level of stability and discipline.

Best that seems realistic via trade is a forward that comes close to being a cap dump ala Setoguchi/Bouchard perhaps but Schultz likely isn't enough. Otherwise there are no apparent cap dump winger candidates out there. Maybe taking a chance on a project youngster like Omark would be worthwhile but a Wolski or Mueller would be just as shrewd.

The Caps are fortunate that Parise/Suter end up in the West but given just how unsettled the East seems to be Nash & Ryan become big targets for aspiring EC teams like BOS/NYR/PHI I'd think. PIT perhaps as well but I don't think they have the right assets (and I'm not real sure to this point what they're doing on D exactly).

Old
07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Generally they do it, then Semin lights them up, then they ease up on Ovi a bit, then he lights them up, and it goes back and forth. Now they can give him the same treatment Detroit gave Crosby in 2009.

Less secondary scoring and more coverage on Ovechkin. Sounds like a plan.
I've never witnessed once (and I pretty much watch every single Capitals game) the other team not match their top defenders against Ovechkin.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but Poti had missed time due to groin injuries 3 or 4 times prior to signing his extension.
i am not sure the context of this comment. poti was extending during training camp and had been healthy during that camp up to and past his extension. it was like the 3rd game of the regular season where he had his next flair up with the groin.

its also true that he had trouble with the groin much of he season before. iirc he had an awesome playoffs though and had the ugly eye injury late in the habs series.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:16 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
As it stands now Laich is our 2nd best winger.

PS: Imagine OV is injured.
I don't dispute he may be our 2nd best winger, but I have seen no reason to think we are going to move him back to wing. Sure there is a gaping hole there, but it all comes down to what Oates wants to do. Does he want to roll MP as his checking line center? I can see 4th line center, perhaps.

But moving Laich would be specifically to address wing so it should be a wash at winger depth. I think they have big things planned for Beagle, MP quietly scored a lot of goals last year and is ready to help. Sjogren went home to Sweden because of Eakin, who is now gone. He can help fill a C void.

MJ center at wing, Laich, wing at center, why not Carlson at LD since he struggled much of the year?

George needs to add a winger with or without Laich. Dangling Erskine or Sarge is laughable to land a top 6 wing. He needs to part with a 1st or a regular he likes.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-04-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 06:25 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I don't dispute he may be our 2nd best winger, but I have seen no reason to think we are going to move him back to wing. Sure there is a gaping hole there, but it all comes down to what Oates wants to do. Does he want to roll MP as his checking line center? I can see 4th line center, perhaps.

But moving Laich would be specifically to address wing so it should be a wash at winger depth. I think they have big things planned for Beagle, MP quietly scored a lot of goals last year and is ready to help. Sjogren went home to Sweden because of Eakin, who is now gone. He can help fill a C void.

MJ center at wing, Laich, wing at center, why not Carlson at LD since he struggled much of the year?

George needs to add a winger with or without Laich. Dangling Erskine or Sarge is laughable to land a top 6 win. He needs to part with a 1st or a regular he likes.
Totally agree. Sarge or Erakine are nothing but charity additions some team takes in a deal to free our cap/roster space and make the trade work. Gotta give quality to get quality.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

So at this point, is there even a winger on the market who makes sense? Kostitsyn for 2 years, $7m? Not exactly ideal, but on a line with Ribero, he should be good for 20 goals.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

My preference:
1. Semin
2. Doan
3. Kostitsyn
4. Sykora
5. Mueller

Old
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

We've already had Petr Sykora! He sucked here!

Old
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
My preference:
1. Semin
2. Doan
3. Kostitsyn
4. Sykora
5. Mueller
I like this list but I would probably swap Mueller and Sykora possibly even with Kostitsyn as I feel like IF* Mueller is healthy he has the possibility to really be a steal.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
We've already had Petr Sykora! He sucked here!
We had bizarro Petr Sykora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
I like this list but I would probably swap Mueller and Sykora possibly even with Kostitsyn as I feel like IF* Mueller is healthy he has the possibility to really be a steal.
His concussion problems dwarf Crosby's.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
We had bizarro Petr Sykora.

His concussion problems dwarf Crosby's.
hence the IF*

Old
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
IafrateOvie34

Yay electric! Anyway I like the Crabb and Hillen signings. I didn't think we would get Parise or Suter, but I held out some hope. I'm going to guess GMGM is going to roll with what he has or make a trade. Hard to say what GMGM will do and I"m not surprised at all. I am glad Parise and Suter went to Minnesota and not in the Eastern Conference. I am beyond happy we didn't sign Jagr. Still a lot of stuff to happen between now and training camp.

Go Caps!

Old
07-04-2012, 07:32 PM
aquablue

I would trade MoJo in a deal for a skilled winger with a prospect and/or pick. I'd also resign Ribeiro for another 4 years as a 2C. I would not count on MoJo as being our true 2C in the future. That appears rather risky. Some people are projecting MoJo to be a 60-70 point 2C like Ribs, but I don't see it.

Trading Eaken for 1 year of Ribs is stupid if he walks. If MoJo doesn't pan out as a real 2C, what next?

Old
07-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Atlas

I'm glad Ted and George didn't pay Suter or Parise $100 million each over 13 yrs. Minnesota will regret these contracts.

The Caps major trade chips:

2013 #1 and other picks
Mike Green
Brooks Laich
Marcus Johansson
Jason Chimera
Roman Hamrlik.

We'd be fools to trade Orlov, Alzner or Carlson.

I don't imagine opposing GMs are too excited about what George has to offer.

One good UFA and one good trade and the team could be pretty damn good.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:38 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm glad Ted and George didn't pay Suter or Parise $100 million each over 13 yrs. Minnesota will regret these contracts.

The Caps major trade chips:

2013 #1 and other picks
Mike Green
Brooks Laich
Marcus Johansson
Jason Chimera
Roman Hamrlik.

We'd be fools to trade Orlov, Alzner or Carlson.

I don't imagine opposing GMs are too excited about what George has to offer.

One good UFA and one good trade and the team could be pretty damn good.
Anaheim is looking for young centers. Maybe a package of MoJo, Galiev and a first for Ryan?

Old
07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Atlas

If Wideman gets 5.2 million and Suter gets 100 million what does Mike Green get?

It sounds like nothing but bad for the Caps. I guess you can pay him 5 mill this year and hope he can play. But no way do I count on Green as the future 1D. It's a bad situation. I'd rather trade him and clear the air of the distraction.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:45 PM
DanTHEMan71

I've got to ask.

Does anyone still think that the Wild defence is still pretty weak? Other than Suter and Gilbert they pretty much only have 3rd pair defencemen. Or am I missing something here?

Are people expecting them so shed some forward salary to pick up some D?

Old
07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Anaheim is looking for young centers. Maybe a package of MoJo, Galiev and a first for Ryan?

Not sure what ANA is looking for. Would #52 be of interest to them? Green and Laich for Ryan +?

What's Bobby Ryan's deal anyway? He sucked for my fantasy team. I had to dump his ass before we could turn up the heat and win the championship (yet again).

Old
07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
aquablue

What could we do to compete with PHI for Ryan?

Old
07-04-2012, 07:48 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Totally agree. Sarge or Erakine are nothing but charity additions some team takes in a deal to free our cap/roster space and make the trade work. Gotta give quality to get quality.
My argument was based on IF George were to make a trade for a top 6 winger. We just dont have much to dangle, outside of our top prospects. Off the roster, position of depth is bottom 6 center (Laich was a 3C most of the year), and LD (Sarge Erskine Hammer)

Laich is all we have that could fetch anything of substance.

Now if we move him to wing that is fine but something tells me he will be a center again. George talks of MJ at wing, but never Laich.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
aquablue

MoJo, a young roster player. Resign Ribero to a decent figure = 2 C. Use Laich as 3C or use MP or sign a cheap 3C.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
I've got to ask.

Does anyone still think that the Wild defence is still pretty weak? Other than Suter and Gilbert they pretty much only have 3rd pair defencemen. Or am I missing something here?

Are people expecting them so shed some forward salary to pick up some D?
Most of their top prospects are forwards. I definitely see them moving some forward strength (whether roster or prospect) in favor of defensive help at some point this season.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:10 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Doesn't BB love Schultz? That should be the centerpiece for Ryan.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:10 PM
DanTHEMan71

Quote:
Most of their top prospects are forwards. I definitely see them moving some forward strength (whether roster or prospect) in favor of defensive help at some point this season.
Yea that makes sense. I know that Scandella and Spurgeon are solid prospects for the future. But if they're serious about the playoffs now, I also see them shedding some fwd salary for D anytime before the trade deadline.

Apparently Wild fans are confident that Scandella can play 2nd pair mins as he was playing great late in the season. They're also saying Brodin could play 2nd pair mins if he fills out.

But yea some Wild fans do believe they'll be trading some forwards. Maybe Cullen (NTC) or Bouchard.

Closed Thread