HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Minnesota Wild sign Ryan Suter (13 yrs, $7.54M cap hit)

Old
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
MNState0fHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
It happens every time big money/term deals get signed. As a Bruins fan, I can say that I would be all right with Chiarelli giving either of these guys these deals, and I wouldn't say that about every deal that's gotten handed out the last five years. I just think Parise and Suter are such rare players in the NHL...guys that have more than one particular skillset. They're not just offensive weapons, or good penalty killers, or leadership types, or shutdown guys....they're both a lot of all those categories. You win with players that can impact a game even when the numbers aren't piling up. Koivu is already one of those guys, so adding two more "glue" guys is so pivotal.

The bottom line is this...no team that was in the mix for these guys stood to benefit across the gamut from signing them than the Wild do. Detroit, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Nashville, Philly, etc. all have an identity in the NHL, they all have their respective faces of their franchises. The Wild have been faceless, nameless, and largely an afterthought (both locally and leaguewide) since the initial buzz slowly subsided when they were granted an organization. People here are so hockey crazy that tickets and merchandise continued to sell, but that only goes so far. Guys like Wes Walz and Brian Rolston are still amongst the first names people associate with the organization...that ain't good.

Signing Suter and Parise, along with some shrewd trades and deft drafting, has catapulted the Wild to the forefront of the sports scene here in the Twin Cities, and has put them on the map in the larger hockey world. They finally have an identity other than "trappist wonks," and they're positioned to overtake the Twins and even Vikings for media coverage come fall. They have a hometown boy to promote, and I'd be willing to be the Winter Classic lands in Minnesota within 2 years.

Massive contracts aside, I don't think you can overstate the sea change that has occurred in such a short period of time with these two signings. None of the other suitors would have seen the same cataclysmic effect of signing these two guys.

This meant so much more than winning games to this organization, and I think that has gotten lost in all the contract talk. Very eloquently stated

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
It's not on a greater scale. I just think some people aren't aware how impactful these signings are outside the vacuum of on ice play, line combos, and statistics. The Vikings and Twins suck, the T-Wolves have been invisible since Garnett left to a large portion of Minnesotans. This market is absolutely ripe for a move like this, and today's Star Tribune is a testament to that. Unless you live here, it's probably difficult to fully understand the heightened relevancy of the Wild in the last 24 hours. The love for hockey will never wain here, but the love for the NHL has never been commensurate with that of the sport in general. These signings change that. NHL hockey will finally be at the forefront of the hockey scene in the State of Minnesota, with NCAA and High School Hockey a close second, and this is the first time that I believe we can say that.
Agreed. Moves some of the focus from high school and college hockey to the NHL. As I'm sure you're aware, sports radio in the Twin Cities covered this story all day yesterday. And what stood out to me was the number of people who called in and said they haven't followed the NHL since the North Stars left (some people still very bitter with the NHL over that), but a move like this shows commitment to the community (a huge thing with Minnesota hockey - Community) and they are back on board.

Some people don't remember this, but we didn't just lose the North Stars. A few years before they decided to leave, all of our best players were poached from the team by the NHL to start up the expansion San Jose Sharks.

It took a commitment like this (bringing star players in on long-term deals) for some very die hard hockey fans in the state to warm up to and trust the NHL again IMO.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's not on a greater scale. I just think some people aren't aware how impactful these signings are outside the vacuum of on ice play, line combos, and statistics. The Vikings and Twins suck, the T-Wolves have been invisible since Garnett left to a large portion of Minnesotans. This market is absolutely ripe for a move like this, and today's Star Tribune is a testament to that. Unless you live here, it's probably difficult to fully understand the heightened relevancy of the Wild in the last 24 hours. The love for hockey will never wain here, but the love for the NHL has never been commensurate with that of the sport in general. These signings change that. NHL hockey will finally be at the forefront of the hockey scene in the State of Minnesota, with NCAA and High School Hockey a close second, and this is the first time that I believe we can say that.
I live in montreal, so I wouldn't know...

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Marcolepsy Scandella

vCash: 50
We have tons of depth and talent now. Lets get greedy and trade for Bobby Ryan now too lol

Marcolepsy Scandella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Wildfan10*

I don't know about you guys, but that was one hell of a 4th of July.

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote