HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remaining Free Agents

Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'd wager that Leddy is already a better defenseman than Hot Carle. I don't get why people are so down on Leddy. As a 21 y/o he's our third best defenseman. Remember where Duncan Keith was at his age?
I'm certainly not down on Leddy and I'm one of the few posters that doesn't think he's as bad as he's made out to be defensively by most of this board.. but I think Carle is better than him right now.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'm certainly not down on Leddy and I'm one of the few posters that doesn't think he's as bad as he's made out to be defensively by most of this board.. but I think Carle is better than him right now.
What are you talking about? Leddy is horribly overrated on this board. Some still think he has top pairing potential.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I'd wager that Leddy is already a better defenseman than Hot Carle. I don't get why people are so down on Leddy. As a 21 y/o he's our third best defenseman. Remember where Duncan Keith was at his age?
In a "what did you do for me today" world people lose perspective on things pretty easily. There are only a handful of defensemen that young in the league for a reason.

If you want to argue he was thrust into a role too quickly and/or given too much responsibility too quickly, so be it. But that kid is a special talent and growing pains (physically, mentally, developmentally) happen with any young player. They just get magnified at that position, let alone on a team that is expected to win now and that is under such scrutiny by so many of its fans, especially around here. I give him much more latitude and patience than many around here. Doesn't make me right, doesn't make me wrong, but I'm not wavering from it yet. He makes mistakes, but he also does a lot of little things right. Little things that are impressive, period, let alone for a 21 year old kid with only a season and a half of NHL experience. Kid's a keeper and he's only going to get better.

Sarava, what about him tells you he can't be a top pairing defenseman someday? Not this year, maybe not next year, but what about a 21 year old kid that you've seen in him makes you be able to say that so defiantly? He's overrated by some, but I also think he's equally underrated and underappreciated by some.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
What are you talking about? Leddy is horribly overrated on this board. Some still think he has top pairing potential.
Are you serious? Every post I see about Leddy has "Awful" or "Terrible" defensively in the post..

Old
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Are you serious? Every post I see about Leddy has "Awful" or "Terrible" defensively in the post..
Yeah that's a few of us trying to knock some sense in to the rest of you

Old
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Paul Allen

Quote:
I don't think many people thought seabrook and keith would be top pair dmen when they were 21

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:34 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Leddy is young. Give him time. He did not play badly this year relative to his age and experience. It is not his fault that the team put him in a position he was not ready to handle. All things considered, he probably did better than expected.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
A 21 year old defenseman still has to develop? Oh woe is us! We are in such a terrible position.

People these days...

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Problem is though that with the two top dogs in this free agency class going to the same team, that means there are still a lot of potential landing spots fighting over the talent remaining.

Expect every one on that list to get overpaid just due to the competition.
This is true, and if the past means anything, we lose out again... but we will still have "the flexibility of cap space" and the ability to "improve from within"

As I said before when it comes to Stan making any significant deal, I'll believe it when I see it.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone claim he will be a top pairing defender

I have said he is a great 2nd pair PMD in making

He improved defensively but still struggles because he is not mature physically enough to deal with bigger forwards

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
A 21 year old defenseman still has to develop? Oh woe is us! We are in such a terrible position.

People these days...
Way to take a post out of context.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
This is true, and if the past means anything, we lose out again... but we will still have "the flexibility of cap space" and the ability to "improve from within"

As I said before when it comes to Stan making any significant deal, I'll believe it when I see it.
I don't get what you're trying to say with this post. The Hawks and Bowman didn't "stike-out" on Parise.. he went to the only other team he would have gone to if he left NJ, which he did.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Parise simply chose a different team. He was offered a contract by the Hawks, and it was reportedly a pretty lucrative one at that. Suter too, but it appears as if he said no to Chicago pretty early on in free agency.

It's nobody's fault. They chose to go elsewhere.

To be more on topic with what everyone's discussing, Leddy is a still-developing, promising young defenseman. He was forced to play a role last season that he wasn't ready for, half because of Q's idiocy (why put Leddy on the PK?) and half because Bowman didn't find a way to acquire a legitimate second-pairing guy before the season or during it to play with Hjalmarsson. A ton of the blame for last season's problems goes on coaching and management. Personally, I put it a lot more on coaching than anything else, as I still don't believe it's quite fair to judge Bowman just yet. I've been disappointed with some of his moves (or some of the moves he has not made), but it's still too soon to really judge him.
The coaching staff, meanwhile, I have had it up to here with.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no to Carle. We already have 8 NHL DMen under contract.

Bowman has to make a trade if he wants to upgrade our team. At least, we are not worse than last year and signed an upgrade on D over SOD

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:22 PM
MagicSlap*

For everyone who wants Mueller, the guy pretty much just can't play center anymore. SO he's not really a fit as our 2C. Maybe he could but he's definitely more suited to the wing now.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I wouldn't want him to center our 2nd line

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:36 PM
HawkeyLife07

Potential trade targets:

Gagner
Nash
Bernier
Luongo

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
I don't get what you're trying to say with this post. The Hawks and Bowman didn't "stike-out" on Parise.. he went to the only other team he would have gone to if he left NJ, which he did.
I had quoted the OP and was commenting on his statement that the remaining FA's will be expensive, which likely means Stan will be left out again, no matter how much we need to fill our gaps. It had nothing to do with not landing Parise, which I never once expected to happen. In fact I think if Hawks were REALLY willing to splurge, it should have been Suter that we targetted. But again my post was unrelated to either signing in Minny.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
DCSemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyLife07 View Post
Potential trade targets:

Gagner
Nash
Bernier
Luongo
Just NO.

DCSemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Sarava

Gagner is the biggest no from that list. By far.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:18 PM
clydesdale line

Doan and Mueller for sure. And I would still go after a center since Mueller and Bolland are injury risks. Trade market is probably Bowman's best option at this point.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
cherrypik

Quote:
I'd offer Doan a 3-year, 13M deal.. but, it sounds like he'll be staying out West if he can't resign in Phoenix.
With the current market of Whitney, PA and Hudler he's going get between 3/15-3/18.

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:21 PM
vegasvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
The team is getting BETTER!
I admire your enthusiasm, but maybe you should take another look back at the PP during the series with the Coyotes. This team will get crushed again unless a) some of these kids don't step up their game, b) Stan makes some serious moves, or c) the NHL institutes a height restriction.

vegasvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post
I don't think many people thought seabrook and keith would be top pair dmen when they were 21
Duncan Keith was a regular whipping boy among Blackhawk fans, during his first couple of seasons.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
marginally better right now but almost certainly not going to get any better

Quote:
How was DK when he was 21? How about brent?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote