HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that the Wild have picked up Parise and Suter...

Old
07-05-2012, 05:36 AM
centcougar07

vCash: 500
Looking at the forwards we have, I'm starting to think we're going to be making a trade or two at some point here. You can't have PMB or Seto on the 3rd line IMO. If PMB is healthy, Cullen is the odd man out of the top 6. I actually like Cullen as a 3rd liner, I think it suits him perfectly at this point in his career but we also have Clutterstache, Brodziak, and Mitchell. Somethings gotta give, right?

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:48 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 50
Quite honestly, Butch should be the odd man out. It'd be a miracle if we could move him, but nobody would bite at this point in time.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:07 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Let me come down from being all hopped up on free agency.

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
Heatley - Cullen - Setoguchi
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Konopka - Kassian/Veilleux

Suter - Gilbert
Scandella - Brodin
Spurgeon - Stoner

OH MY GOD THOSE ARE REAL LINES
This post made me smile. Congrats. I'm first to admit that I thought the rumours about this were total baloney. I assumed they would go to otherwise stacked teams than take on serious leadership roles in Minn. Glad to see how much joy your disbelief is bringing you. haha

Your lineups are looking scary. Enjoy the lineup orgasms this offseason!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:29 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Quite honestly, Butch should be the odd man out. It'd be a miracle if we could move him, but nobody would bite at this point in time.
If we could package him for a solid 2nd pairing defenseman, that'd be awesome!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Haite
x

Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi
Granlund-Brodziak-Heatley
Mitchell-Cullen-Clutterbuck (Shortest third line in the NHL?)
Powe-Konopka-Kassian/Veilleux/Etc.

Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Scandella
Stoner-Spurgeon

I'm not totally serious about the forward lines, but I think HBFBJ could actually be a pretty solid line. Kind of like HBJ but this time with Finnish Baby passing the puck. Also, I think Parise and Seto could generate pretty decent forecheck, albeit I might not be totally sold on Seto's ability as a first line winger. Third line's average height would be below 6', but who cares?

Few other variations:

Without PMB:
Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Cullen-Granlund-Setoguchi
Mitchell-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Powe-Konopka-Kassian/Veilleux/Etc.

With PMB:
Parise-Koivu-PMB
Heatley-Granlund-Setoguchi
Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

And those are assuming that Granlund can play center at NHL level.

And just for fun, fiddling with PP a little:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Suter-Gilbert

Brodziak-Granlund-Setoguchi
Scandella-Cullen

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Scandella should no longer be a regular on the pp, unless Bouchard is injured.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:21 AM
MrHockey80

Congrats on landing ZP he will be missed in NJ and will be a huge boost to your overall team play He was most certainly the best player on the Devils no matter how much some of our fans would like to believe other wise. Good Luck to Zach in Minny.

Its funny how none of your lineups show Palmieri with Zach - I can tell you they played very well together in NJ and he created a lot of space for Zach when they played together I would be very surprised if Palmieri is not with the Wild. He played well in NJ especially under Lemaire who used him with Travis and Zach/Kovy - and am sure he will surprise a lot of people out there

MrHockey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:34 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfanow View Post
Congrats on landing ZP he will be missed in NJ and will be a huge boost to your overall team play He was most certainly the best player on the Devils no matter how much some of our fans would like to believe other wise. Good Luck to Zach in Minny.

Its funny how none of your lineups show Palmieri with Zach - I can tell you they played very well together in NJ and he created a lot of space for Zach when they played together I would be very surprised if Palmieri is not with the Wild. He played well in NJ especially under Lemaire who used him with Travis and Zach/Kovy - and am sure he will surprise a lot of people out there
Not according to the NJ boards, ZP is apparently a betraying ahole who was no where near the captain he was supposed to be and he is just after the money

Palmieri would prob have to outplay people to get a spot at this point or maybe he is traded? Replaces Clutter if he is indeed moved like a lot of people think? (please send him to Philly!!!!)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Hmm. Assuming Butch gets his things together and starts the season reasonably okay, I could imagine a trade with Blackhawks around Bouchard and Hjalmarsson. Might just be me though, but I think that sounds like a reasonable idea. At least I'm going to give it some more thought.

So then the def lineup would be:
Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Scandella
Stoner-Hjalmarsson
Spurgeon

Or something like that, depending of course how good Brodin and Dumba (now that's a longshot) seem to be at camp.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
TZM
Par too easy

With Parise and Mikke coming in it's a nice dilemma to have. I think that the first line is Parise - Koivu - Heater.
On the second there's x/Mikke - x/Mikke - Seto.

You've got the first line caliber group all together and still have efficent players on the second. Mikke just needs to live up the hype.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Dr Jan Itor

I think Brodin is going to outright win that spot next to Suter.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Ladde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And I fully expect him to do that but I am probly a bit too optimistic.

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I can see that too.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
rafterman

vCash: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Any chance now that they lost out on Zach that Pitt would take him as a short term fix. Put him with Neal and Malkin, move Kunitz up with Sid ? With only one year left on his deal Butch isn't as much of a risk to a team.

Maybe take Niskanen or one of their B level D prospects in return ?

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
If we could package him for a solid 2nd pairing defenseman, that'd be awesome!
Most certainly....but with his recent injury history, that kind of return seems unlikely...at least right now.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:36 AM
nickschultzfan

Here's how I break-down the forward line analysis.

Step 1 - Start with the Centers.
As I have said on many occasions, if we are going to be good, we need to be a little risky and put Granlund as the 2nd line center. Cullen should move to wing. We know Cullen is non-producing in 5v5 and especially at the end of the season. That's the opposite of what you want. Granlund, should be getting better as the season goes on as he adjusts. Cullen will still play center on the PK. We've tried 2 seasons of Cullen and need to move on.

X - Koivu - X
X - Granlund - X
X - Brodziak - X
X - Kono - X

Step 2 - Slot in non-tweener wingers to their appropriate line
We need to put guys on the line they belong, and not push them up to a line where they don't really fit. That means Parise on 1st. Setoguchi on 2nd. Clutterbuck on 3rd. Powe on 4th.

Parise - Koivu - X
X - Granlund - Setoguchi
X - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe - Kono - X

Step-3 - Fill-in Tweener wingers at spots they would be the most effective and would help their linemates the most.
People are putting Heatley on the 2nd line, probably to spred out the scoring, but I don't see that at all. Despite them being friends, Heatley does not play well with Setoguchi, and Setoguchi certainly doesn't play well with Heatley. Also, don't see the need to put Granlund with Koivu except for increasing Finnish T-shirt sales. Heatley is not done. He could put up 70 points if he had some linemates. Plus, we'd have a true 1st line. Which would be amazing. The 2nd line LW spot would go to whichever of Bouchard and Cullen fits their best. It's close. Cullen can take defensive draws for Granlund, plus he has a little more size and no concussion history. But Bouchard is actually better at protecting the puck, and he would work magic with Granlund on the cyle. However, I give the edge to Cullen.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Cullen - Granlund - Setoguchi
Powe - Kono - Kassian

Step -4 - Make a call. Forecheck or offense?
Here's where a decision comes. You have Bouchard and Mitchell left. The line is Brodziak and Clutterbuck, who actually don't play well together. Clutterbuck plays north-south and likes to hit. Offense on the break and jumping on chances when the defense breaks down. Brodziak plays the posititional, possession cycle game. He grinds it out in the offensive zone, keeping the puck away from the other team, and then creating offense by shoveling it into the crease or setting-up a short pass into a quick shot on goal. So, where do you go? Mitchell matches Clutterbuck's style, but will negate Brodziaks style, turning him into a 20-point defensive checker, rather than a 40-point two-way centerman. Bouchard will match Brodziak's game very well and has chemistry in the past. But he's not going to get into the other team's face, which is what Yeo wants.

For this reason, I think Bouchard is gone this off-season. To avoid this decision. Personally, I would go with Bouchard, as he would make Brodziak the most effective, and it would give us some depth scoring, but I think Yeo is going to want to go Mitchell.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Mitchell/Butch - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe/Kassian - Kono - Mitchell/Kassian

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Ladde

Great analysis on the offensive lines!

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Here's how I break-down the forward line analysis.

Step 1 - Start with the Centers.
As I have said on many occasions, if we are going to be good, we need to be a little risky and put Granlund as the 2nd line center. Cullen should move to wing. We know Cullen is non-producing in 5v5 and especially at the end of the season. That's the opposite of what you want. Granlund, should be getting better as the season goes on as he adjusts. Cullen will still play center on the PK. We've tried 2 seasons of Cullen and need to move on.

X - Koivu - X
X - Granlund - X
X - Brodziak - X
X - Kono - X

Step 2 - Slot in non-tweener wingers to their appropriate line
We need to put guys on the line they belong, and not push them up to a line where they don't really fit. That means Parise on 1st. Setoguchi on 2nd. Clutterbuck on 3rd. Powe on 4th.

Parise - Koivu - X
X - Granlund - Setoguchi
Powe - Kono - X

Step-3 - Fill-in Tweener wingers at spots they would be the most effective and would help their linemates the most.
People are putting Heatley on the 2nd line, probably to spred out the scoring, but I don't see that at all. Despite them being friends, Heatley does not play well with Setoguchi, and Setoguchi certainly doesn't play well with Heatley. Also, don't see the need to put Granlund with Koivu except for increasing Finnish T-shirt sales. Heatley is not done. He could put up 70 points if he had some linemates. Plus, we'd have a true 1st line. Which would be amazing. The 2nd line LW spot would go to whichever of Bouchard and Cullen fits their best. It's close. Cullen can take defensive draws for Granlund, plus he has a little more size and no concussion history. But Bouchard is actually better at protecting the puck, and he would work magic with Granlund on the cyle. However, I give the edge to Cullen.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Powe - Kono - Kassian

Step -4 - Make a call. Forecheck or offense?
Here's where a decision comes. You have Bouchard and Mitchell left. The line is Brodziak and Clutterbuck, who actually don't play well together. Clutterbuck plays north-south and likes to hit. Offense on the break and jumping on chances when the defense breaks down. Brodziak plays the posititional, possession cycle game. He grinds it out in the offensive zone, keeping the puck away from the other team, and then creating offense by shoveling it into the crease or setting-up a short pass into a quick shot on goal. So, where do you go? Mitchell matches Clutterbuck's style, but will negate Brodziaks style, turning him into a 20-point defensive checker, rather than a 40-point two-way centerman. Bouchard will match Brodziak's game very well and has chemistry in the past. But he's not going to get into the other team's face, which is what Yeo wants.

For this reason, I think Bouchard is gone this off-season. To avoid this decision. Personally, I would go with Bouchard, as he would make Brodziak the most effective, and it would give us some depth scoring, but I think Yeo is going to want to go Mitchell.

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Mitchell/Butch - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe/Kassian - Kono - Mitchell/Kassian
Seriously one of the most informative and analytical posts I've read in a long time.

Great read.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's just way too many interesting combos to predict how it will look.

Although Cullen - Granlund - Setoguchi would IMO be a crappy line.

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Heatley - Granlund - Setoguchi

That would be better IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Heatley isn't a tweener. jesus ****ing christ.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's just way too many interesting combos to predict how it will look.

Although Cullen - Granlund - Setoguchi would IMO be a crappy line.

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Heatley - Granlund - Setoguchi

That would be better IMO.
I'd have to agree.

I stil like the idea of starting Granlund out next to Koivu. Cullen is far more seasoned as a center than Granlund at this point.

Heater - Cullen - Gooch

Then, next season Coyle or Phillips can latch on to that 2nd line, or you can slide Granlund into the #2 slot.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Granlund 64

If Bouchard is healthy I'd love to move Setoguchi down to the third line with Brodziak and Mitchell. Although, I'd have serious reservations about a Cullen - Granlund - Bouchard line.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd like to see what a healthy Setoguchi can do before writing him off.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
I'd have to agree.

I stil like the idea of starting Granlund out next to Koivu. Cullen is far more seasoned as a center than Granlund at this point.

Heater - Cullen - Gooch

Then, next season Coyle or Phillips can latch on to that 2nd line, or you can slide Granlund into the #2 slot.
I kind of like this. I think we tell PMB to sit it out for a bit and make sure he is ready to go after the concussion. He's getting too many of them, and I would prefer not to have the guy die as a result of too many hits to the head.

With these lines, I'm satisfied with it. About December we throw Granlund on the 2nd line center and slot Heater on top. See how it goes. He has Cullen on the line to help him adjust to playing it against guys who are bigger than him and if he's thrown out we have another good face off winner on the line to take it (that is actually kind of big).

If it works out, then we have the lines. If it doesn't, its a simple fix. Cullen always plays pretty well the first two months of the season. Don't want to negate that if its still there. Just MO

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Russo's depth chart doesn't look too bad for lines:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Setoguchi - Granlund - Bouchard
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Mitchell - Konopka - Powe/Kassian