HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Shea Weber thread

Old
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Syndrome
get off my lawn!!1!

vCash: 500
if you want a pipe dream, at least make it somewhat realistic. i'll dream of yandel. non-divisional and we could part with assets that the yotes might even want.

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB86 View Post
Front load that sucker so bad that it would send Poile to a proctologist.
Can't do it under the CBA,there are limits. The Fedorov offer sheets are a thing of the past.

Last edited by wingnutjeff: 07-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
Can't do it under the CBA,there are limits. The Fedorov offer sheets are a thing of the past.
I believe the offer sheet can be up to $14m or more a year, with many years to drop the cap hit.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:37 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I could live with a 14 million dollar offer sheet for one year. You give up four 1st round picks, but currently the Wings area 6-9th place team so those picks are pretty worthless. If Nashville matches, they cant trade him so they can go after him next year and hopefully Holland actually has the highest offer on the table or atleast matches the highest.

You have to hope Holland is good enough to sign Weber after 365 days of negotiations.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I believe the offer sheet can be up to $14m or more a year, with many years to drop the cap hit.
How about 2-year offer-sheet with 2+2 basic salaries and 12+12 signing bonuses? 14 million caphit for 2 years. That would be a huge economical blow for the Predators. Normal salaries are paid during the season and they maybe don't have 26 million to be paid during one calendar year, because the bonus will hit st the start of season, twice.

It would be crazy offer and could be a cap problem also for us, but Shea Weber solves all our problems at building the defence. You can't find more perfect missing piece from anywhere. He is everything, a right-handed, right-side defenceman, who can log enormous minutes and play the 1st penalty kill and 1st PP.

Letting Cleary walk + average cap rise of 4 million could make some cap space for extensions (Howard, Filppula, etc.) at next summer.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Getting some traction, I like it! Unfortunately we all know Ken Holland would never offer sheet another team's player. Not. Gonna. Happen.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Neon Phaneuf
Let the kids play

"Weber in disbelief, may want out of Nashville"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7854--nhl.html

Neon Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorncog View Post
"Weber in disbelief, may want out of Nashville"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7854--nhl.html
He's leaving. He'll be a Canuck.

Same deal as Suter and Parise, all his family and his wife's (fiancee's?) family is in BC. Canucks would pay him handsomely. He's already said he'd love to play back home.

Any offer sheet would be immediately matched by the Preds who would then hold an auction for the best defender in the NHL. In other words, total disaster for everybody involved. Preds will be smart this time and trade Weber to the Canucks for something of value.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
YouAreTheGovt

I realize that DET doesn't give two sheets about the Predators, but I honestly feel Nashville's disdain for the Red wings played into Suter's decision. If all things are equal between the Wild and the Red Wings (again...all things equal) why would Suter want to tarnish his reputation in Nashville by signing with a team we despise? I think the same applies to Weber. In order to get him, you'll have to go above what everyone else is willing to offer (when that time comes). Then again, this board swore up an down that Weber would never be welcome in a Red Wings jersey due to how Game 1 ended in the playoffs.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
I realize that DET doesn't give two sheets about the Predators, but I honestly feel Nashville's disdain for the Red wings played into Suter's decision. If all things are equal between the Wild and the Red Wings (again...all things equal) why would Suter want to tarnish his reputation in Nashville by signing with a team we despise? I think the same applies to Weber. In order to get him, you'll have to go above what everyone else is willing to offer (when that time comes). Then again, this board swore up an down that Weber would never be welcome in a Red Wings jersey due to how Game 1 ended in the playoffs.
If you think Suter didn't tarnish his legacy in Nashville by signing with any team than you're out to lunch. Go look at their board. The one positive thing for Weber because of what Suter just did if he does demand a trade and at least gets them some assets it will be seen as an improvement when normally it would have been treated even poorer in my opinion.

But if you think him leaving anywhere will be handled well in Nashville that is just probably not the case. Fedorov was booed forever just for leaving. The Hossa booing is stupid as he only played a year even though he did go to the Hawks making it worse. But see how we treat the players that leave us, fan-bases aren't really that different especially for the most part the American fan-bases.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
YouAreTheGovt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
If you think Suter didn't tarnish his legacy in Nashville by signing with any team than you're out to lunch. Go look at their board. The one positive thing for Weber because of what Suter just did if he does demand a trade and at least gets them some assets it will be seen as an improvement when normally it would have been treated even poorer in my opinion.

But if you think him leaving anywhere will be handled well in Nashville that is just probably not the case. Fedorov was booed forever just for leaving. The Hossa booing is stupid as he only played a year even though he did go to the Hawks making it worse. But see how we treat the players that leave us, fan-bases aren't really that different especially for the most part the American fan-bases.
I wouldn't use these boards as a basis for the typical Nashville fan. I'd say most fans are simply relieved he didn't sign with the Wings. We are upset we didn't get him, but I, for one, knew he was gone months ago. Just like I know Weber's days in Nashville are numbered.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:19 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

If Weber found his way to Motown, I think we would riot down here. It will not happen, atleast not via trade. You can't offer enough for him.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
I wouldn't use these boards as a basis for the typical Nashville fan. I'd say most fans are simply relieved he didn't sign with the Wings. We are upset we didn't get him, but I, for one, knew he was gone months ago. Just like I know Weber's days in Nashville are numbered.
No I am not simply relieved he didn't sign with the wings. I'm upset that all this talk of Poile needing to make moves and stuff apparently didn't meet $uter's needs. In the end, it was about going home. No amount of money can beat that. Also, supposedly the Preds' offer was even greater than the Wilds. What can you do?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Redwings1927

from that link above...

Quote:
Meanwhile … you have to feel for Predators fans today. Ryan Suter leaves for a team that's further away from the Cup than Nashville, leaving their GM feeling betrayed. Then, almost immediately, the hockey world starts plotting Shea Weber's course out of Nashville. Well, at least their goaltending's set.
it made me laugh at first, then i realized "holy ****, i would go completely ape **** if i was poile and i would seriously think about trying to find another gm job somewhere else that would take me."

Quote:
at least their goaltending's set.
this will never make me not laugh...ever. but hey, their goaltender is elite so it is true that they at least have goaltending at 100% full-filled

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Redwings1927

if weber did in fact sign with the canucks, even though they are definitely perrenial contenders now-a-days, that instantly puts them over the top with their line-up as is...that sucks and weber knows that :/

but if the wings could possibly look radiant this season and if 99% of our guys come back and we go to the WCF and beat the canucks, he might say, well they beat you with hardly anyone note-worthy not-names datsyuk and zetterberg...i could win in detroit faster....then i would be pleased

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
RIP CITY

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund
sounds like Preds getting closer to a Shea Weber trade. I will have more on this, and what teams will be first in line, in the morning.
Get on it Holland. Not sure if we have enough to get it done, I'm admittedly a Hockey novice when it comes to anything not directly regarding the Wings and even then I only know so much (don't watch every single regular season game, do watch every postseason game though, don't know alot about prospects). I've heard Eklund is fairly reliable source but I also don't know much about which sources are the best other than reading this board for a few weeks (been reading the board alot longer but only just recently tried to figure out which sources are good).

What I do know, is that Weber is a great player and the Wings should do whatever it takes to get him in the fold.

RIP CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:33 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP CITY View Post
I've heard Eklund is fairly reliable source
Whoever told you that is a dirty dirty liar.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 02:51 AM
RIP CITY

No one specifically told me he was, he's just one of the names I've seen floated around and I've seen a couple people say he's ok. Plus, out of the 5 I follow, he seems to be the only one saying much on twitter lately. Bob McKenzie hasn't said much of anything since the 4th, Kypreos, Dreger and the top Wings beat writer that I know of (Kulfan) don't say much at all, at least not lately. He's been the only one giving fairly regular updates.

RIP CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:11 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
No one specifically told me he was, he's just one of the names I've seen floated around and I've seen a couple people say he's ok. Plus, out of the 5 I follow, he seems to be the only one saying much on twitter lately. Bob McKenzie hasn't said much of anything since the 4th, Kypreos, Dreger and the top Wings beat writer that I know of (Kulfan) don't say much at all, at least not lately. He's been the only one giving fairly regular updates.
Eklund is not a great source. He is an interesting guy to read from time to time but don't put too much stock in whatever he is selling. The other guys and big Hockey writers always take the month of July off after the first couple days of free agency. This is their down period, they would check in if something major is happening but this is fairly typical of what happens at this time of year.

Eklund doesn't because he is still employing his throw stuff at the wall rumors for the most part. Rest assured if Nash was being moved MceKenzie, Dreger and Pierre Lebrun will all come out of hiding. Those guys need breaks too, Mid-July and August are a good time for them, although with the initial reports on the CBA requests made public by people in the media, I am pretty certain we are heading for a lost season anyway.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Henkka

Last edited by Henkka: 07-16-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: wrong topic
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Hmmm, all the reputable sources that are known to have connections and that successfully break stories are saying nothing but Eklund somehow has some inside info that has escaped them. That sounds totally legit.

I think it would be great if the Wings were working on a trade for Shea Weber, I just realize Eklund isn't going to be the guy who hears about a blockbuster trade. He'd find out about it as soon as we do.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Dustin16182

I know we consider Z to be relatively untouchable, but what about a trade starting with Hank for Weber? We lose a captain, but also gain one. It leaves a massive gaping hole in our top 6, but all of the sudden our Defense looks great again. Assuming Smith does well...

Weber - Smith
Kronwall - Big E
White- Quincey
Kindl

I like it.

Obviously getting Doan and Semin would be an absolute requirement after losing Hank, but it's an interesting idea I'd enjoy discussing. I feel like it would leave an open arms race for our young forwards to work their tails off for some top 6 playing time. It could be exciting.

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ken holland wouldn't trade Justin abdelkader and you think it's worth discussing a trade that involves zetterberg?

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
I know we consider Z to be relatively untouchable, but what about a trade starting with Hank for Weber? We lose a captain, but also gain one. It leaves a massive gaping hole in our top 6, but all of the sudden our Defense looks great again. Assuming Smith does well...

Weber - Smith
Kronwall - Big E
White- Quincey
Kindl

I like it.

Obviously getting Doan and Semin would be an absolute requirement after losing Hank, but it's an interesting idea I'd enjoy discussing. I feel like it would leave an open arms race for our young forwards to work their tails off for some top 6 playing time. It could be exciting.
Weber wouldn't be Detroit's captain.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Ken holland wouldn't trade Justin abdelkader and you think it's worth discussing a trade that involves zetterberg?
If it means I dont have to be as bored as I am right now, then sure why not? It's just an interesting thing to talk about. The idea got flamed pretty hard last year, but with the way our defense looks, it's an interesting topic to discuss.

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote