HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to be the next captain?

Old
07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't think that should matter. To me, the player that best represents the franchise's ideals is the one most qualified to be the captain. In some cases, that's the highest scoring player on the roster, in other cases, it isn't. Henrique is a good two-way forward already, and perhaps in the future he will embody the Devils ideal fully, but he's not there yet. Honestly, the model player on the team is now Zajac. However, we might not want to go down that road again, giving it to a pending UFA.

I support whatever DeBoer decides, and I think it will be Kovy. He's done the job before, he has the support and respect of his teammates, and he's trying real hard to conform to the Devils ideal.
Best represents the franchises ideals? Don't you think that is a little over philosophical? In many cases the captaincy is overrated. Players know who they respect unless its a legend guy like Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, or Steve Yzerman, its not that big of a deal.

So who better than your hardest working, most dedicated, and most determined player to have the C? That was Crosby even at a young age.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
The rest of the team has always seemed appreciative, the fan base is growing... and Zach gets to go back to his home state where he'll be fawned over relentlessly for the time being.
For now. I hate to see what will happen when they realise that he isn't a 90 point scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionhockey View Post
Best represents the franchises ideals? Don't you think that is a little over philosophical? In many cases the captaincy is overrated. Players know who they respect unless its a legend guy like Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, or Steve Yzerman, its not that big of a deal.

So who better than your hardest working, most dedicated, and most determined player to have the C? That was Crosby even at a young age.
For most teams, the hardest working, most dedicated, and most determined player is the one that represent the franchise ideals. Or else that GM isn't running the franchise properly. So no, I don't think it's over philosophical.

For the Penguins, Crosby was that guy, mostly because they tanked and traded away everyone else who was any good. For us, our best player isn't necessarily the one that fits that description.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

Quote:
For now. I hate to see what will happen when they realise that he isn't a 90 point scorer.
The one big thing Minnesota has going for them with this upgrade in Suter, and Parise is that they play in that horrible Northwest Division. Which is the worst in the league, and usually it's Vancouver, and no one else even in the playoffs out of that division. Vancouver rules the roost, and has been finishing 20 points ahead of everybody else there. So Minnesota gets to play Colorado, Edmonton, and Calgary 6 times a year.

Colorado upgraded with Parenteau, and Calgary with Hudler, but not as much as Minnesota with Suter, and Parise. I wouldn't be surprised if Minnesota got into the playoffs, but I don't see them doing damage. They would likely play Vancouver, and I don't think they'll be able to chew them up like LA did who chewed everybody up, and did a pretty good number on us. Vancouver will destroy them.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Edmonton is not a pushover anymore. All those superstar kids have to be good for something. I'm not convinced that Minnesota is a playoff team next year.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Bleedred
I too lose SO to NJD

Quote:
Edmonton is not a pushover anymore. All those superstar kids have to be good for something. I'm not convinced that Minnesota is a playoff team next year.
I'm not convinced either definitely are. Hopefully Edmonton is not a lottery team next year cause this is getting ridiculous. Edmonton was doing good early last season just like Minnesota(And Colorado for the first month)

I can see Minnesota getting in the playoffs. 8th seed, and getting chewed up in 5 games by Vancouver or even LA if they can win the Conference this year. I won't bet on it though. I'd love to see them miss the playoffs most years. That's what Parise gets for leaving to a perennial loser.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:

For most teams, the hardest working, most dedicated, and most determined player is the one that represent the franchise ideals. Or else that GM isn't running the franchise properly. So no, I don't think it's over philosophical.

For the Penguins, Crosby was that guy, mostly because they tanked and traded away everyone else who was any good. For us, our best player isn't necessarily the one that fits that description.
So why make the comment if you essentially agree with me? The fact that they were purposely losing is debatable but if you think Crosby was the right guy, what does age have to do with it?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
CerebralGenesis

Merrill

leadership exemplifed

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
So why make the comment if you essentially agree with me? The fact that they were purposely losing is debatable but if you think Crosby was the right guy, what does age have to do with it?
Because it looks pretty bush league to hand the captaincy to a kid. In the majority of cases it's not the right move.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Merrill

leadership exemplifed
Did he make a decision as to whether or not he's going pro yet?

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Because it looks pretty bush league to hand the captaincy to a kid. In the majority of cases it's not the right move.
What about Chicago with Jonathan Toews? Detroit with Steve Yzerman?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

I was pulling for Semin to wear the C, but I guess that's out the window.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Is Henrique Steve Yzerman?

Elias is our captain, no matter who we have. He will always be our leader
We just need someone to carry the C to take ceremonial faceoffs and talk to the refs

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Where has Washington gone with Ovechkin as captain? Columbus with Nash?

Sometimes it works out, just as often it doesn't. No way Henrique should be the captain so soon in his career.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I still feel like Edmonton will be one year away from being a playoff contender. Reminds me of Quebec finishing last in 91-92 and then finishing seoond in their division the following year. Schultz is a great pickup, but it seems a bit much for a 22 year old rookie to turnaround their defense overnight.

Minnesota should be in the playoff mix. That division seems to have potential to mail it in down the stretch. Might be a matter of which of MIN/EDM/CGY/COL can keep their heads above water before the trade deadline.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Just to keep Henrique's head on straight after this season... I'd love it if they punk him again, tell him he's the captain and then take it back like they did at the awards ceremony

Approach him with a folded sweater with a freshly pressed "C" on it, with only the #4 visible...... and then shake it out in front of him to reveal that it's actually for Salvador.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Just to keep Henrique's head on straight after this season... I'd love it if they punk him again, tell him he's the captain and then take it back like they did at the awards ceremony

Approach him with a folded sweater with a freshly pressed "C" on it, with only the #4 visible...... and then shake it out in front of him to reveal that it's actually for Salvador.
Nah.

Give him a Stevens jersey. Actually, no. Have Stevens give him a Stevens jersey.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Is Henrique Steve Yzerman?

Elias is our captain, no matter who we have. He will always be our leader
We just need someone to carry the C to take ceremonial faceoffs and talk to the refs
I never said I wanted Henrique to be captain, my vote goes to Kovalchuk. What we are arguing is that Crosby was a poor choice for the Penguins.

Quote:
Where has Washington gone with Ovechkin as captain? Columbus with Nash?

Sometimes it works out, just as often it doesn't. No way Henrique should be the captain so soon in his career.
1. These are poor examples. Ovechkin was young but already an established player when he was named captain. Who would you name in his place? Nash played for the worst run franchise in hockey, so that was hardly his fault.

2. Washington did no worse (actually better) than the New Jersey when Langenbrunner was the Devils captain. Despite the way he exited, he was a hard working veteran two way forward. So I don't see how this argument is carries any weight.

3. When you're the best player on your team, you are a leader whether you like it or not. Players look to you to see how hard you're playing. If their best player has given up, why should the rest of the team care?

This is all clearly off topic, the captaincy should go to Kovalchuk.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:01 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Nah.

Give him a Stevens jersey. Actually, no. Have Stevens give him a Stevens jersey.
The facial expression on young Henrique would be priceless.
This needs to happen.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:28 PM
CerebralGenesis

Taylor Hall - C
Henrique - A
Nemisz - A

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote