HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson to Minnesota

Old
07-04-2012, 01:02 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 500
Cody Franson to Minnesota

With the two biggest fish teaming up to go to Minny, we'll probably see a lot of these "What if this guy goes to Minny too!?" posts, and for that I apologize.

But I digress, with Cody Franson coming out and saying he was unhappy with his role last season and he is hesitant to sign on with the Leafs again without guarantee that will change, how would he look on Minnesota?

Ex-teammates with Suter, obviously, and had a nice booming point shot. If he can get the top4 minutes he wants he can contribute.

I know Minnesota has a lot of D prospect depth ready to take over, but how would they feel about bringing in Franson, probably for one of those D prospects or a pick?

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Alexander Baigle

Franson ++ for Clutterbuck?

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

So because they just acquired quality that makes room for crap, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Franson ++ for Clutterbuck?
lol.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post

lol.
Franson is crap?

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I was about to say, where in the world are all these Minnesota proposals coming from?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Have you seen Minnesota's defense?

Franson is a big right hand puck moving dman who can play in the powerplay because of his nice shot from the point. It might upset a Hab fan like you to know that he does have value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I was about to say, where in the world are all these Minnesota proposals coming from?
I think it's mostly from people thinking Minnesota can't afford to be a cap team.

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
I would think Franson to DET for G J Gustavsson and F F Brunnstrom makes more sense...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
Franson is crap?
If a frequent healthy scratch on a lottery team doesnt meet the criteria to be defined as crap I dont know what does.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I would think Franson to DET for G J Gustavsson and F F Brunnstrom makes more sense...
Thats a decent proposal.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Elever
Hth

Franson isn't good enough for their top four.

They already have guys who can play in the bottom pairing.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
If a frequent healthy scratch on a lottery team doesnt meet the criteria to be defined as crap I dont know what does.
He got benched largely for doing exactly what he is currently doing. Acting like he is bigger than the team and thinking his **** don't stink.

He's a good defenseman, with a lot to learn, but the talent is there. Now he is holding off re-signing with the Leafs because he wants guaranteed minutes.

Some people refuse to learn the lessons they're taught.

He might get moved for this but he's not a crap player.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Ya, because Ron Wilson was the smartest coach in history.

Franson was actually a very good defender on the Leafs. A minus 1 for the year when he was playing as the team went into a downard spin is quite respectable. He also put up decent points. On top of that, he was quite good every in Nashville.

You should watch him play more before you make a totally ridiculous comment like that...

Old
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Keith Aulie

Cody Franson

Old
07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:

Franson was actually a very good defender on the Leafs. A minus 1 for the year when he was playing as the team went into a downard spin is quite respectable. He also put up decent points. On top of that, he was quite good every in Nashville.

You should watch him play more before you make a totally ridiculous comment like that...
Is there anything that wasnt Wilson's fault ?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
jboknows

Quote:
He got benched largely for doing exactly what he is currently doing. Acting like he is bigger than the team and thinking his **** don't stink.

He's a good defenseman, with a lot to learn, but the talent is there. Now he is holding off re-signing with the Leafs because he wants guaranteed minutes.

Some people refuse to learn the lessons they're taught.

He might get moved for this but he's not a crap player.
I agree with your assessment, but I do think it was ridiculous that he was scratched so much at the start of the season. Based on his play, he should have been in the lineup for the entire year (IMO).

I think more than anything, that's what he wants. He's not demanding guaranteed minutes, so much as stating that if you're going to bench me for a third of the season (for no good reason) and play ****tier guys than me, I want to play elsewhere.

Most athletes act that way. If they're not going to play, they'd rather go elsewhere.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Is there anything that wasnt Wilson's fault ?
Of course there was - he doesn't have a great team to start with. But you can't deny the impact that a coach would have on an entire team and there were so many questionable things he's done over the past 3-years in Toronto.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:

Franson played okay defensively. He had extremely protected minutes, facing the worst competition on opposing teams.

However, under that framework he was very solid, and certainly deserved a shot at more work under tougher opposition.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
It's funny how some posters of other teams stated the Burke got a good player in Franson when he was traded from Nashville for a salary dump. Now that he is on the Leafs for one season he is crap.

The fact is; Franson is a large bodied 6'5" 213 pound defender that would have a full time roster position if the coach didn't insist on playing sub-par veterans that made more money (*cough* Komisarek *cough*) instead of Franson.

Franson does have value, it just depends what team wants to do a trade and sign for him.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Stu

Quote:
I agree with your assessment, but I do think it was ridiculous that he was scratched so much at the start of the season. Based on his play, he should have been in the lineup for the entire year (IMO).

I think more than anything, that's what he wants. He's not demanding guaranteed minutes, so much as stating that if you're going to bench me for a third of the season (for no good reason) and play ****tier guys than me, I want to play elsewhere.

Most athletes act that way. If they're not going to play, they'd rather go elsewhere.
No way should he have been in the line-up the entire year. There were times he looked very good and times when he looked terrible. As has been stated he believes that he should be starting a lot more games than he has where the reality is that he needs time to develop in a more sheltered role. I would like to see Franson take a stranglehold on a more significant role on the leafs defense, however he needs some time to develop and if he decides that he should be playing top-4 minutes from the start of the season, I would consider it very likely that he is moved.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:

Keith Aulie

Cody Franson
Deal !

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

Keith Aulie

Cody Franson
I would do this from the Leafs perspective.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
No way should he have been in the line-up the entire year. There were times he looked very good and times when he looked terrible. As has been stated he believes that he should be starting a lot more games than he has where the reality is that he needs time to develop in a more sheltered role. I would like to see Franson take a stranglehold on a more significant role on the leafs defense, however he needs some time to develop and if he decides that he should be playing top-4 minutes from the start of the season, I would consider it very likely that he is moved.
I think he should have been a 4-6 for the entire year. He certaintly did not look like a top-4 at times, but he was not playing as poorly as other guys. Maybe a couple of scratched games at most, but not 20 games

Old
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Everyone is going to Minny, I see

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Stormcrow

I was thinking that Backstrom could end up in Toronto. I posted earlier about maybe Hackett and Harding doing the double duty but I am not too sure how Minny fans would feel about Backstrom getting moved. It seems that with their current Roster they might, repeat might need to make a move to free up cap. Maybe Backstrom for Franson+prospect+pick? Not too sure on the value since he has 1 year left before UFA.

Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:

He was outplayed by other prospects at training camp (Aulie, Gardiner) and then spoke out to the media about not getting ice-time (sulking).

Got himself in the coach's bad books and had to prove he was deserving of ice time. Although at that point you also have to wait until a spot opens up and it did for short spurts.