HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing pick-up as a n00b? (AZ players especially!)

Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Playing pick-up as a n00b? (AZ players especially!)

I've got another month off before school starts up and there are a couple of pick-up times that I could do. I've been doing stick time, D-league (class and then game) and playing at a women's drop-in for about 3 months.

I haven't ever played regular drop-in and I'm not sure how amenable they'll be to a real n00b showing up. I was there once or twice at that time (doing public session) and it looked like there weren't all that many people there during the day for the drop-in. But the ones who were there were MUCH better, obviously they had played for quite some time. I think I saw 3-4 guys there. Of course, that was during the school year and I'm guessing there will be more teens during the summer. (ETA: it looks like it's 18+ for pick-up, so only older teens - still might be a small crowd, since I assume a lot of people have to work during the day.)

Specifically, I'm thinking about trying Polar Ice in Peoria, on the Tues or Fri morning drop-in.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:44 PM
ausername1

I don't know about AZ specifically but the majority of people there shouldn't give you much trouble for being new. Everyone's got to start somewhere and drop-in/pick-up is a great way to get better. If there are a lot of teens, they might get a little frustrated just because we're natrually hot headed but for the most part they'll probably work with you and give you a lot of tips to be a better player. If there is someone who gives you a lot of crap just ignore them- chances are everyone else probably doesn't like them either.

Last edited by ausername1: 06-21-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: mispelled
ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:20 PM
esidebill

I'd say it might be faster than what you're used to, but if you can make a decent pass, people will have no issues with a newbie!

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
MattB43

Not in AZ here, but I've been doing pickup twice a week. A lot of the HS/college kids since school is out, they are obviously better/faster but they're pretty nice most of the time. I just try to make sure I get back on D and hang out by the net looking for rebounds on offense and noone complains.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
do0glas

hey just going from my drop in experience. they looked to be miles better than me, so i would break out the puck for them and play stay at home D, and then once in a blue moon i would try to get in on the attack. no one said anything

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
flyers10

The morning sessions get a mix of skill so you should be ok. The Wednesday night session tends to be real fast. Also stop by there on Monday night when D league plays. You might be able to get on a team for the remainder of the summer league.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Anyone ever play at Arcadia Ice in Phonenix? I'm gunna go check out stick and puck today

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Thanks for the input!

I'm hoping to try a Monday night during the summer, but I also want to do Oceanside Tuesday night - and I'm already in D-league on Sundays. So doing Sun/Mon/Tue and then Th women's league might cause the husband to be a bit less than understanding. I wish I could do the Mon or Tues night during the school year but as I'm usually up at 4:30 the next morning, they are both a little late for me.

Wed. night I will avoid. If the morning ones aren't bad, I'll be sure to try one.

I did do stick/puck at Arcadia once on Sunday morning. They were kind of disorganized, you had to find the guy to pay him and they didn't give you a sticker or anything. Half of the rink was blocked off for some group working with a coach so the rest of us used the other half. It was a little weird b/c I was the ONLY female there - and the guy went in and told the locker room that they needed to behave before he let me go in there. And then I kept finding bolts on the ice, I found two of them just laying there.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:19 PM
BuffaloAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Anyone ever play at Arcadia Ice in Phonenix? I'm gunna go check out stick and puck today
Arcadia has gotten better. The ice used to be terrible 10-12 years ago. I usually go saturday mornings for stick time. They usually have 1/3 to 1/2 of the ice filled with private training sessions, so that kind of sucks.

BuffaloAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

vCash: 564
Oceanside Tuesday nights is pretty decent - there are two sessions back to back and a lot of people stick around for both. If you do start going, don't go this Tuesday (July 3rd): Oceanside is closed next week for maintenance.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:59 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I saw that - and my Sunday class is cancelled this week and next as well.

I'm going to do stick time tomorrow and try a Puck Head game on Monday at Arcadia (if they've still got open slots). Or I may just try one of the pick-up games at Polar.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:47 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

If any of your Q's havn't been answered, feel free to send me a PM. I play high school hockey in Arizona, and feel like I could help with anything to do with Arizona hockey.

I like going to the Stick/Puck at 5:30am at Peoria Polar ice. For the first hour and a half, there is hardly anyone out there, and you have open ice to do what you want to work on. The one in the afternoon is only an hour of ice (compared to the 2 1/2 you get in the morning) for the same price, and more people. All levels go here.

SNH (Saturday night hockey) at the Ice Den is for more advanced players. While supposed to be for 18+, lots of HS kids go. It is usually high end HS kids, College players, and ex-juniors/AAA players. I would stay away from this if I were you.

I havn't been to drop in at Oceanside, but Would guess it's good. Never had a problem at oceanside.

STAY AWAY FROM ARCADIA. The owner is a 100% ****** who treats the place like crap. The ice SUCKS, and the place is disgusting. Their "store" is a joke, and the kids they have working there are horrible. Their boards are dangerous, and the zamboni is from the 70's. The place was a dump when it opened, and is a dump now.

Last edited by AZcoyotes: 06-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Wile E Coyotes

Puckheads is a great club! I've played many games, never had a bad experience.

Wile E Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Which puck heads are better for new players? They told me yesterday but I forgot.

I had a great time, got a couple of passes, blocked a shot, and took a slapper right in the cage. It was about one inch from bouncing into the goal, I would have liked that! They were very nice, I was obviously a really new player and the only female playing yesterday. A couple of times I got the puck and the other team let me take it in for a shot. I know they were being nice, and since there isn't a score kept or anything...why not? One of the other teams players even gave me a quick lesson on getting a stronger shot.

I've got to say that for as mich of a "violent" reputation as hockey players have, they are a very friendly bunch. I've never felt unwelcome as a beginner, and I've met so many nice people in the few months that I've been playing.