HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Dead Wings Era 2.0

Old
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
This is not going to be the Dead Wings 2.0
People forget how bad the Dead Wings really were.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

My god the fans of this team are spoiled.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
This is indeed another example. Dead Wings 2.0..... can't believe some people don't see how ridiculous that is.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
jroc86

When Suter puts up 25 points next year and earns 24 million in the calendar year well see who looks stupid ... Garrison is the only piece we missed out on but his heart was in Vancouver all along. Our forward group is still elite, our goaltending is solid, and our Dcore is missing 1 solid piece. Chill out - there's still money in our pockets, assets on the table, and great players available for trades (Yandle cough cough). Be thankful we aren't Pittsburgh, they got burned worse than us.

Ps. Parise better keep his head up ... He's not used to number 55 patrolling his wing 4 times a year.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Stop it.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:18 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I was raising concerns and said that the future looked pretty bad, I have no idea how that can be viewed as "overreacting"?

What I'm even more concerned about is some fans in here ganging up on people having these concerns, telling them to "get the **** out". Am I a lesser fan just because I'm realistic - is a "great" fan supposed to completely blind and always disregard everything that isn't positive?

I don't get it.
The problem is that you are not realistic, you seem to me to be always quite pessimistic.

And a thread like this is so overreacting when we are four days in the new off-season/season and there were only two really BIG signings this off-season and we missed both because both guys wanted to play elsewhere. It was out of Detroit's hands.

This team is not ending last for 20 years just because it missed out on two quality guys.

Red Wings will be competitive.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
The problem is that you are not realistic, you seem to me to be always quite pessimistic.

And a thread like this is so overreacting when we are four days in the new off-season/season and there were only two really BIG signings this off-season and we missed both because both guys wanted to play elsewhere. It was out of Detroit's hands.

This team is not ending last for 20 years just because it missed out on two quality guys.

The Red Wings 20-year era, if it ends, will do so because we are running out of world-class talent.

And if you don't understand that, you're being as silly as the people who call this Dead Wings 2.0

Old
07-04-2012, 02:22 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
When Suter puts up 25 points next year and earns 24 million in the calendar year well see who looks stupid ... Garrison is the only piece we missed out on but his heart was in Vancouver all along. Our forward group is still elite, our goaltending is solid, and our Dcore is missing 1 solid piece. Chill out - there's still money in our pockets, assets on the table, and great players available for trades (Yandle cough cough). Be thankful we aren't Pittsburgh, they got burned worse than us.

Ps. Parise better keep his head up ... He's not used to number 55 patrolling his wing 4 times a year.
I think our goaltending has the chance to be more than solid. Jimmy has a big chance next year to show what he is really made of - with our defense being the most questionable it has been since 1990 and it being a contract year. Not to mention the Monster hopefully finding his game and pushing him to the limit.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I feel like Mike Valenti has a thousand different screenames
Post of the year

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The Red Wings 20-year era, if it ends, will do so because we are running out of world-class talent.

And if you don't understand that, you're being as silly as the people who call this Dead Wings 2.0
And we might gain some new world-class talent from those already on the roster. But's that not an option is it?

The 20-year era will end some season. All good things end. But, don't make it as they are not trying. This isn't a video-game where it's fairly easy to go you way. This is real negotiations and real teams and players this club are talking to.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Tomas W

What I am really afraid of is that the DRW will not even be that awful, they will be just average. That's the worst thing to be these days, if you're gonna suck, then suck hard so you get those top 3 picks.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
And we might gain some new world-class talent from those already on the roster. But's that not an option is it?

The 20-year era will end some season. All good things end. But, don't make it as they are not trying. This isn't a video-game where it's fairly easy to go you way. This is real negotiations and real teams and players this club are talking to.
Go cry to someone else.

I've been realistic about this offseason from the beginning.

The bottom line is that so far, this team is worse than the team that managed to win one single game in the playoffs.

Ken Holland needed a big offseason. So far, he's not there. And when I see quotes like this:
Quote:
“We’ve got all summer now,” Holland said. “The market has been combed over pretty good. We’ll explore trades. We’re happy that we got the guys that we did on July 1 (F Mikael Samuelsson, F Jordin Tootoo, F Damien Brunner, G Jonas Gustavsson).”
I get the feeling that he's not feeling the kind of urgency he should.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
aar000n

I'm upset as the next guy but if we were counting. On these two guys to save we missed the whole team idea. I hope we do not overspend on crap because we missed the two sexy picks we were drooling on.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I dont see the Wings becoming the Dead Wings, but Calgary 2.0 is looking very likely. Maybe the prospects ALL pan out, but what are the odds of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The Wings may very well be in store for a big drop off, maybe miss the playoffs, but Dead Wings 2.0? That's a laughable suggestion. I can only assume that some people don't even realize how bad those Wings teams were. They missed the playoffs in 12 out of 13 seasons. I see very little (virtually nothing, really) to suggest that will be the case, or even close, with the current team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snailderby View Post
Might we take a step back without Lidstrom, and with Datsyuk/Zetterberg getting older? Sure. Maybe.

Dead Wings Era 2.0? Nah. I don't think we're quite there yet. We still have a good core, a couple promising prospects (Nyquist and Smith, e.g.), a good coach and GM, and plenty of cap space (although no Parise or Suter to sign with that cap space).
Quote:
This is not going to be the Dead Wings 2.0
People forget how bad the Dead Wings really were.
Quote:
This is indeed another example. Dead Wings 2.0..... can't believe some people don't see how ridiculous that is.
Of course I didn't mean that we'd be the worst team in the league over a span of a decade, but that we'd be nowhere close what what we've been since the early/mid 90s.

I thought that was obvious. At this moment I might have Detroit around 20-24:ish in the league - and Zetterberg & Datsyuk is only getting older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
Just because people are thinking there may be trouble gives none of you the right to call them fair weather fans!!!!! maybe you should take off your rose red colored glasses? we will be okay just sucks today that is all. but don't act like there are not very big concerns with our team right now.
Thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
More tiring than listening to fans bragging about how hardcore they are? If you want to live in denial thats fine but this is a thread for those with concerns. Let them vent or have their concerns. Apparently being concerned is a sign of disloyalty. How intelligent.
Exactly what I've been hearing every single time I have raised concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
The team is going to suck next year, let's be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I think thats a fair assumption. The question is how much will they suck? 8th seed first round exit or 9th seed Calgary zone level of suckiness.
Like I stated above, I'd be really surprised if we make the playoffs. But at the same time I really hope this team proves me wrong and make me look like a fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I'm getting really sick of every other post disappearing... It's the internet... pack a helmet.
If/when every other post disappears, you might think about the way you express yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
I'm sorry, but calling for Ken Holland to be fired and saying our team sucks now just because we didn't land Parise and Suter... that is more than just voicing concerns or troubles. That is an overreaction. The name of this thread alone is ridiculous. We don't need that kind of negativity on here. I'm sick of it. It's ruining these, otherwise, fun boards.

Note: I'm not saying you two specifically said some of this stuff, but those are the general things I have seen said in other threads.
I have never said that Holland should be fired, and probably not that this team sucks either. But only cause everything is relative - compared to the last 20 years the current team does suck though.

Compared to Calgary they might not

Quote:

What is realistic or not is hardly something objective, is it? I feel I'm being realistic looking at the current lineup and lack of prospects that can make a real impact next season. If you don't agree, I respect your opinion - I won't flame you for it and certainly not call you a "bad" fan wishing you to GTFO like some of the gentlemen in here have written to me.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Is the 8th seed considered Dead Things 2.0?

Dead Things 2.0 would be Isles and Jackets territory consistent level of suckiness and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Maybe a year or 2 or 5 down the line we miss the playoffs but I don't see this team becoming the Dead Things or doormats.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Stop it.
Again, this is a prime example. If some Wings fans weren't so spoiled by the success they've had the past 20 years, they wouldn't post threads suggesting we are going to go from a perennial playoff team 4 years removed from a Stanley Cup to another Dead Wings era just because we lost a 42-year old Lidstrom and failed to sign a couple top free agents. It's a prime example of being spoiled. Not all fans are, you probably aren't, but many are. Stop being in denial.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:56 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Wow. Malik appears to be calling fanboy nation to war:
Quote:
What really pisses me off today? Smarm from the media, smarm about the wait, smarm about fans not being allowed to be angry/upset.
Quote:
Fans are emotional creatures, fans are the people who pay these players' and GM's and owners to watch the game, and we are allowed to FEEL.
Quote:
"Oh my, you poor little plebeians who actually have to pay to get into games, HERE is what you SHOULD think. Isn't it a great STORY?"
Quote:
Yes, fans will move on, but for goodness' sake, on a day like today, being human, subjective, feeling as well as thinking...are all allowed.
Well. Maybe not war. But he's trying to incite something in his followers.

A group cry?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Again, this is a prime example. If some Wings fans weren't so spoiled by the success they've had the past 20 years, they wouldn't post threads suggesting we are going to go from a perennial playoff team 4 years removed from a Stanley Cup to another Dead Wings era just because we lost a 42-year old Lidstrom and failed to sign a couple top free agents. It's a prime example of being spoiled. Not all fans are, you probably aren't, but many are. Stop being in denial.
When you call someone spoiled, you are insulting them.
You are painting with a pretty broad brush.

The people playing that card are the people who always ridicule people who are unhappy with the direction or moves of the WIngs.

Instead of calling Red WIngs 2.0 what it is, in inaccurate or stupid comparison, you get to say "Wings fans are spoiled" and paint any and all criticisms are immature or stupid.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Of course I didn't mean that we'd be the worst team in the league over a span of a decade, but that we'd be nowhere close what what we've been since the early/mid 90s.

I thought that was obvious.
It may have been if you hadn't added, 'I predict a new era of total suckage.' That's not the same as, 'we won't be close to as good as in the 90s.'

But even then, it wasn't really. Why even bother mentioning a new Dead Wings era if you didn't mean it? What's the point of such hyperbole?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

I think this will be a rather fun season. Looking forward to see Smith and Nyquist and what Kronwall will look like in a more demanding role. Zetterberg looked really good at the end of the season and in the WC, he could have a comeback year.

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I'm getting really sick of every other post disappearing... It's the internet... pack a helmet.
It might be the internet but these forums still have rules which you agreed to when registered to the site.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
When you call someone spoiled, you are insulting them.
It certainly is not an insult. It's simply an observation. If so many Wings fans weren't spoiled, we wouldn't have people claiming we are in a total rebuild right now, or that we are entering Dead Wings era 2.0 right now. You only get to the point of saying those things if you are spoiled by success.

Quote:
The people playing that card are the people who always ridicule people who are unhappy with the direction or moves of the WIngs.
BS, that is a total fabrication. I've only used the term when examples like the above come to the surface. No one is running around calling anyone who criticizes the Wings spoiled.

Quote:
Instead of calling Red WIngs 2.0 what it is, in inaccurate or stupid comparison, you get to say "Wings fans are spoiled" and paint any and all criticisms are immature or stupid.

So if I call one thing an example of being spoiled, that means I'm saying any and all criticisms are immature or stupid? How could you possibly come to that conclusion? That's nonsensical. And while that's not ok, it's ok to tell someone their comparison is "stupid"? Ok, thanks, Officer Morality.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
If Dead Wings means all the people crying on this forum go away...

Bring it on!
I mean, people need to learn to be CONstructive instead of DEstructive.

It's enough to make a person want to go on hiatus...

... again...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:19 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Go cry to someone else.

I've been realistic about this offseason from the beginning.

The bottom line is that so far, this team is worse than the team that managed to win one single game in the playoffs.

Ken Holland needed a big offseason. So far, he's not there. And when I see quotes like this:

I get the feeling that he's not feeling the kind of urgency he should.
The general manager of a professional organization is not going to publicly state that they are in urgency mode. He does not want to come off as desperate even if he is desperate. He still needs some negotiating power, here.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Reality is, people have cause for their concern.

The team has been regressing steadily over the last 2 years, and now that Lidstrom is retired, the team has no viable replacement for him. I've been informed that Quincey was meant to be the replacement for Stuart, but that's just foolish. Our defense has severely regressed in just one summer. Expecting Kronwall to become a number 1 defenseman, or even a number 2 defenseman is an extremely lofty expectation and expecting Smith, an unproven prospect to become a top pairing defenseman, or even a top 4 defenseman is equally lofty.

As for our offense, I can comfortably say we have a decent amount of depth, which is not a bad thing, but it was evident last season that this team is lacking another top 5 player(better yet a top line player) and the acquisitions we did make were fairly lateral. And once again, expecting Nyquist to be a top line player, or even a top 6 player is fairly lofty. If Zetterberg or Datsyuk face an extended injury next season, the offense will be anemic.

Howard will likely face more shots and we will see how he'll deal with that.

This is likely the most tumultuous time in recent history for this franchise. A lot of expectations fall on our prospect's shoulders and the future is uncertain. Fact is we really could have used Suter and it really would have been nice to have Parise. I'm not saying the future is that of the 1970's Red Wings, but the team is facing mediocrity. I would say we're looking at a 6-9 seed next year barring any kind of moves made before the season starts.

Holland, all eyes are on you, sir.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote