HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dead Wings Era 2.0

Old
07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think Quincey is being sold a bit short, and I'm not sure Howard will necessarily face more rubber. You don't need the most skilled group of guys to play good defence, and we've made some moves this offseason that should lead us to being more difficult to play against. We may see even less of a "skill game" next season, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the level of defense upped considerably.

07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
It certainly is not an insult. It's simply an observation. If so many Wings fans weren't spoiled, we wouldn't have people claiming we are in a total rebuild right now, or that we are entering Dead Wings era 2.0 right now. You only get to the point of saying those things if you are spoiled by success.
Thanks for proving my point.
Rather than disagree with whether or not the Wings are rebuilding, you call them spoiled because they differ with you.

Quote:
BS, that is a total fabrication. I've only used the term when examples like the above come to the surface. No one is running around calling anyone who criticizes the Wings spoiled.
Right. The guys known on these boards as the "Holland Bashers" are the ones calling Red Wings fans spoiled?
Get real.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Thanks for proving my point.
Rather than disagree with whether or not the Wings are rebuilding, you call them spoiled because they differ with you.
No, I call them spoiled because that is precisely what they are. And I don't even blame them for it. It's hard not to be spoiled by the Wings the past 20 years. But I also explain why they are wrong, so don't make it sound like I make drive-by posts calling people spoiled.

And, really, you are being the hypocrite of all hypocrites here. You use labels constantly, more than anyone. "Cheerleaders," "fanboys," and (my favorite) "the hivemind," among others. You avoid constructive disagreement and throw these labels around all the time. All of which are more insulting than "spoiled." And then you whine about the term "spoiled." It's comical. And it seems like you aren't even embarrassed about it. Sounds like a classic troll.

Quote:
Right. The guys known on these boards as the "Holland Bashers" are the ones calling Red Wings fans spoiled?
Get real.
How you keep jumping to these inane conclusions is beside me. I think your brain really is fried from this free agency fiasco. No, Bob, I don't see anyone running around calling everyone else "spoiled." I've seen the term used a handful of times lately after someone posts a prime example of what it is to be spoiled. End of story.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
It might be the internet but these forums still have rules which you agreed to when registered to the site.
I don't have a problem with the rules. The random application thereof, I do.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
Go away, all you so-called "fans." Seriously, we don't need all these doom and gloom, faux fans.
I love this. Fans that are realistic about where this team is headed are not real fans.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
19Yzerman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I love this. Fans that are realistic about where this team is headed are not real fans.
So you think this team is headed towards missing the playoffs for 12 of the next 13 seasons is what your saying

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
So you think this team is headed towards missing the playoffs for 12 of the next 13 seasons is what your saying
How exactly you got that from my comment is beyond me.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
How exactly you got that from my comment is beyond me.
The Dead Wings missed the playoffs in 12 of 13 years.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The Dead Wings missed the playoffs in 12 of 13 years.
I'm well aware of that, but that was not my point. I never said there was going to be an exact duplication of that time period and most people are not saying that, if any are at all. What I find amusing is that any criticism of the team garners the kind of reaction of replying to from certain posters.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
ColdToiletSeats

How old is everyone on these forums? Seem's like a bunch of 12 year old's trolling. Wings are still good Lidstrom and Stuart are gone. You guys act like they won us every game last season.

ColdToiletSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, but that was not my point.
I know it wasn't yours, but the OP predicted we'd move into something like a Dead Wings 2.0 era, then the other poster said we don't need fans like that, then in your reply you referred to the OP as realistic, therefor implying a new Dead Wings era is realistic. I think that's how the chain went, though something may have been lost in translation

Old
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdToiletSeats View Post
How old is everyone on these forums? Seem's like a bunch of 12 year old's trolling. Wings are still good Lidstrom and Stuart are gone. You guys act like they won us every game last season.
How are the Wings still good and what is 'good'? The last three years have brought two second round exits and and a first round exit in which we won a single game. We are worse today than we were last year to top it off. So how exactly are we good again? If you are happy with competing for a playoff spot next year then sure we are good...

Old
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
ITM

Detroit is going to continue being competitive.

I look at the loss of Suter as a win. That is an atrocious contract. I've said this a few times now, but Ryan Suter is no better than what Dave Ellet was, and that's a compliment to Suter.

Keith Yandle has been bandied about as possibly available. If Detroit gets Yandle as the booby prize, then you can thank Nik on whatever mountain of enlightenment hes presently meditating on having remotely nixed the Suter fiasco.

Brendan Smith, should have been in Stuart's place these past playoffs. He's going to be fantastic. And as I mused to a friend, I had a daydream where Smith laid a Kronwallian wallop on Schultz first game Wings play the Oilers.

Another player possibly available will be Tomas Plekanec. Guy has Red Wing written all over him. I realize size up the middle is the rage, but in essence, Detroit is two players away from being comparably competitive again.

There's no mountain for this club to climb, just a few pieces and it's business as usual.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Dead Things again? Absolute Rubbish!

Comparing the current state of the Wings to the Dead Things era is absolute rubbish. This is a team that's been in the playoffs 21 years straight, won 4 Cups, literally oozes success.

The Wings will never be the Dead Things again for one simple reason: Mike Illich will not allow it. The organisation in place will not allow it. They showed it by going hard after Parise and Suter.

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Nyquist is overrated and replaceable by other prospects in the organization, Smith might have a bright future but he's still a rookie and make tons of mistake and probably will continue with that for several seasons.
Agree to disagree. Nyquist is going to be special.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Peter Tosh

An era is over. Franzén - Zetterberg - Dats - Bert - Samuelsson. Five out of top six over 30. No real no. 1. d-man. Top free agents chose another team. Playoffs next season would be a huge performance.

Peter Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

They haven't even played a game yet post-Lidstrom and everyone's running around screaming that the sky is falling. Might we miss the playoffs this year? Sure. Is that a big deal? No. I'm VERY optimistic about this team's transition.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post

They haven't even played a game yet post-Lidstrom and everyone's running around screaming that the sky is falling. Might we miss the playoffs this year? Sure. Is that a big deal? No. I'm VERY optimistic about this team's transition.
Why? I am not being an ass, I legitimately want to know the reason to be optimistic. In my view Holland dug himself a hole and failed to climb out of it with his plan A. So what is the plan B and why should I be optimistic about it.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
BigD66

Well since the season is apparently already lost...

MacKinnon or Jones?

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
If Dead Wings means all the people crying on this forum go away...

Bring it on!
This is the best post in the thread.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
The general manager of a professional organization is not going to publicly state that they are in urgency mode. He does not want to come off as desperate even if he is desperate. He still needs some negotiating power, here.
Not asking for desperation. But some inclination that he believes he's going to make important moves.
Instead of
"Welcome to parity"
"The market has been combed through"
Etc

Before UFA began, Holland sounded aggressive. Now he sounds defeated.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Coincidental Minors

Wow.. the suns going to come up tommorrow.... I'll withhold judgement on the off-season moves when they are all done.

Coincidental Minors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidental Minors View Post
Wow.. the suns going to come up tommorrow....
No it's not!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Coincidental Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
No it's not!
At least we all know who to blame if it doesn't...

Coincidental Minors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidental Minors View Post
At least we all know who to blame if it doesn't...
I know it is completely delusional to blame the GM when he fails to keep your team from sliding into mediocrity and early round layoff exits three years running. How crazy is that?