HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dead Wings Era 2.0

Old
07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
The Wings aren't the only team that lost out in this situation and I'd like to see how all these other fanbases are taking this disappointment. This stuff defines a fanbase...of course, we're all happy and complimentary when this team has had success but what happens when things actually don't go your way? Do you throw a fit and pout or do pick yourself back up and try again?
They're not calling it the end of the world the way we are...

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
They're not calling it the end of the world the way we are...
you are right its not the end of the world

as for the reason those fanbases dont care, simple, they really didnt NEED either of those two players.

So Pitssburgh lost Parise so what. Shero goes we have letang, maf, neal, crosby, malkin, sutter all signed and all under 26 plus easily the best group of defencemen prospects in the league

So Philly lost out on them so what. Holmgren goes we have Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Coburn, Simmonds, Voracek all under 27 pus Briere and Hartnell. They flat out really didnt need either of them and are better off that way

NJ lost its captain but then again its 80 million in debt and cant pay its bills so could they really have afforded Parise?

Nashville lost one of its top 2 dman and now will likely lose the other sometime in the next 12 months. They got screwed no doubt about it

The only playoff team with high expectations that needed one of or both of team was detroit because of our winning tradition and expectations plus and even more important the age gap between datsyuk and nyquist and the fact in the last 24 months we have lost 3 of our top 4 dman withour replacing any of them adequately(at the moment)

so no its not the end of the world and life will go on

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I started a thread here like two years ago, predicting a new era of total suckage. At that point I got laughed off the stage - but revisiting the topic now with todays two huge signings from Minnesota & Lidstrom gone...this team looks awful.

Detroit has been my team ever since I started watching the NHL in the mid 90s, and as much as it hurts to admit it - our future is looking bleek. Especially considering we've had no great drafts the last 8-10 years. Our best prospects are projected as perhaps decent second liners, most third, fourth and not good enough for the NHL at all.

What do you think. Have I been/am I overly pessimistic, or do we have a new Dead Wing Era on our hands?

I mean, what will our line-up look like the upcoming season?
Our lineup looks awful, but it doesn't mean it is. And you predicted our demise? So two straight 100 point seasons and a record home win streaks. Yep, you nailed it!

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Our lineup looks awful, but it doesn't mean it is. And you predicted our demise? So two straight 100 point seasons and a record home win streaks. Yep, you nailed it!
100 point seasons aren't what they used to be and a home win streak, while a nice story and fun to observe, means nothing. Its Nordic so of course he called the demise, he craps on everything its what he does, but you can't deny this team has headed downwards for three straight years.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:01 AM
doublejack

Dead Wings 2.0? No, I do not believe things are anywhere close to that dire. I'll get back to that in maybe 3-5 seasons and reassess then. For now I'm certain the Wings will not be that horrible in the near term.

That said, this team has taken a step backwards every offseason since 2008-09 ended, and that trend continues. This summer we've actually taken 2 or 3 steps backwards. I believe we will struggle to make the playoffs, and winning a round would be a major success. The standards have fallen drastically. So I will say that the golden era is officially over, and something new is beginning. How well Holland rebuilds the team will determine what kind of era we are now entering.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ken holland got a PHD from the jay feaster school of GM'ing the past three years. Hoping a ton of crap ends up beating a pound of skill.

Wings won't be awful, but you already know this season is going to end in disappointment.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
DetroitForever

I'm not worried, except for the loss of Lidstrom and possibly Homer. Those guys were/are integral to the locker room.

After that, we still have Pav, Hank, Kronwall, Filp, Helm, an improving Abdelkader, Franzen, Kindl, Cleary, White...all players that any other team would love to have on their roster. Not to mention Howard, who has panned out nicely and Nyquist, who impressed me with the minutes he got.

With the signings of Samuelsson and Tootoo (who will look good with Bertuzzi), plus the potential to add Semin and maybe a few good D men left out there, the Wings are still a legit playoff team.

I really don't see why everyone is worried about it.

DetroitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
fimoknete

actually this season i would be happy to reach at least a first round loss.
i dont see any reason why this team should be better then the last 3 years?

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

One thing's for sure, since watching every game, preseason/regular season/playoff game with the wings since the lockout (around the same time when every game became available on the internet via streaming for europeans), i'll be watching maybe one game a week from here on, the friday/saturday game's, pointless staying up til 5am and ruin the day after to watch this team play.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Ouch. As if missing out on Parise and Suter wasn't bad enough, now the Wing's have to endure mindfly's ire?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
One thing's for sure, since watching every game, preseason/regular season/playoff game with the wings since the lockout (around the same time when every game became available on the internet via streaming for europeans), i'll be watching maybe one game a week from here on, the friday/saturday game's, pointless staying up til 5am and ruin the day after to watch this team play.
I'm actually leaning the opposite way. I got complacent with the regular season, it bored me and I tuned out. It was a given, 100 point season, compete for division title or win it easy, maybe win a President trophy rinse and repeat. *yawn*

I am going to be much more interested this year as we are going to have to battle for a playoff spot and also to see what some of these younger guys (God willing they get some ice time) bring to the table. This is going to be one of the most interesting regular seasons in quite awhile.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:58 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Ouch. As if missing out on Parise and Suter wasn't bad enough, now the Wing's have to endure mindfly's ire?
From this blow they may never recover.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I'm actually leaning the opposite way. I got complacent with the regular season, it bored me and I tuned out. It was a given, 100 point season, compete for division title or win it easy, maybe win a President trophy rinse and repeat. *yawn*

I am going to be much more interested this year as we are going to have to battle for a playoff spot and also to see what some of these younger guys (God willing they get some ice time) bring to the table. This is going to be one of the most interesting regular seasons in quite awhile.
Yeah I probably would have had the same ideá had I been from Michigan/detroit and had some kind of closer connection with the team... from across the pond, watching this mediocre team (on paper) will be so boring it will put you to sleep.... Feel sick to my stomach just thinking of Samuelsson blasting that slapper right into the chest of the goalie and ruining the attack.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Borlag

Quote:
Yeah I probably would have had the same ideá had I been from Michigan/detroit and had some kind of closer connection with the team... from across the pond, watching this mediocre team (on paper) will be so boring it will put you to sleep.... Feel sick to my stomach just thinking of Samuelsson blasting that slapper right into the chest of the goalie and ruining the attack.
Sounds like you'd barely like the sport at all and that seeing "your team" win is all that matters.

The next season will be interesting to every Wings fan who actually likes the sport. Sure we wont be the kings of the hill, but what we will be able to see is how our players will step up when needed the most. Sure you could say that why didn't they do that in the playoffs, but it's just not the same to not step up during a span of one single playoff round, than it is on a full 82 game regular season. Believe it or not, some people will be stepping up and surprising us all. All I'm hoping is that our prospects will get a shot at doing that.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Wings aren't quite at rock bottom yet, but ANY team's fans REGARDLESS OF PAST EXPECTATIONS should be upset with the incompetence we've seen the past few offseasons. The "spoiled" argument is basically just saying "Yes, you're right, but we were lucky before".

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
Sounds like you'd barely like the sport at all and that seeing "your team" win is all that matters.

The next season will be interesting to every Wings fan who actually likes the sport. Sure we wont be the kings of the hill, but what we will be able to see is how our players will step up when needed the most. Sure you could say that why didn't they do that in the playoffs, but it's just not the same to not step up during a span of one single playoff round, than it is on a full 82 game regular season. Believe it or not, some people will be stepping up and surprising us all. All I'm hoping is that our prospects will get a shot at doing that.
I like the sport, I have my local and close-to-local teams here at home to watch, both on tv and live.

It's not just worth staying up til the early hours to watch samuelsson and friends play hockey

Old
07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
icKx
Subtle interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Local fans ***** to no end when we have to stay up until 12:30 to watch our team play on the west coast.

But pulling an all-nighter? Mindfly is probably more dedicated than most.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post
Wings aren't quite at rock bottom yet, but ANY team's fans REGARDLESS OF PAST EXPECTATIONS should be upset with the incompetence we've seen the past few offseasons. The "spoiled" argument is basically just saying "Yes, you're right, but we were lucky before".

Exactly. Some of us know we had it good before, and we realize those days are gone. We aren't going to tolerate and incompetent, complacent GM.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Borlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Local fans ***** to no end when we have to stay up until 12:30 to watch our team play on the west coast.

But pulling an all-nighter? Mindfly is probably more dedicated than most.
It's the same for every european, and there's a lot of us who pull all nighters for games. Although for me personally that's become more rare now that I have kids that wont let me sleep during the day afterwards.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Wait, we're going to have LESS mindfly this season?

Go all out, Holland! Miss out on every free agent you possibly can! We might be able to get rid of him entirely at this pace.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Wait, we're going to have LESS mindfly this season?

Go all out, Holland! Miss out on every free agent you possibly can! We might be able to get rid of him entirely at this pace.
So you want the wings to 'become Columbus' just to get rid of me... speaks volumes of you as a fan.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

As I have always believed....support for this team is a mile wide and an inch deep.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
DeYarmond Edison
Subtle Interference

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'm not worried about the Red Wings. They alwys find a road to the playoffs. Even the current team without Lidström has enough talent and experience to qualify for the Playoffs.

But I've to say your roster doesn't look like a serious contender. At least I thought one of Suter or Carle would sign with the red wings.

I hope your prospects become similar steals like Lidström or Datsyuk. Your organisation earns success. For me, it's unbelieveble that you're still a feared team without a top 10 pick for decades.
I really don't think any team fears the Detroit Red Wings.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:03 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
As I have always believed....support for this team is a mile wide and an inch deep.
Mind explaining how you come to this conclusion? It is irrational to see several stars leave and not be replaced, and think that the train will keep rolling on. Rafalski last summer and Lidstrom this one... yeah, everything is fine. I'll just put my head back into the sand, now.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

How I come to this conclusion? Half the fan base doesn't even pay attention during the regular season. Couple things don't go our way and now we are the dead wings again? Let the thing play out.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote