HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Dead Wings Era 2.0

Old
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
It's the same for every european, and there's a lot of us who pull all nighters for games. Although for me personally that's become more rare now that I have kids that wont let me sleep during the day afterwards.
Yeah, I'd say I stay up for at least 50-60 games per season, and the games start at 1 AM for home games, which is basically as early as it gets except for some Sunday games. But being a full-time student, it's difficult to keep it going the entire season

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
They're not calling it the end of the world the way we are...
Any of those fans lose half of their top 4 defensemen?

I don't know how you define "end of the world", but in the last two years we lost Rafi, Lidstrom and Stuart--and replaced them with White and Quincey. Last time I checked, the West was amazingly tight and we finished 5th. Not much room for error.

What I don't get is why we're sitting on $16.8M of cap space with one roster spot left. By all accounts, we we were outbid for Suter--and Holland was ok with that (i.e. he said $8M less was "very competitive"?). Apparently, he and many wings fans think Suter was given too much money. But my question is: If we're not going to give it to Suter, then who? Last year we had about $5M in dead cap space doing us absolutely nothing. This year we'll probably have much, much more. Last time I checked, even a overpaid player scores more than unused cap money.

What's the argument here? The entire league is full of horrible players that aren't worth this money, so we'd rather just let it rot? I don't get it.

Last edited by Hckytwn: 07-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Hckytwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post
Last time I checked, even a overpaid player scores more than unused cap money.
What stupid sentence.

We have the players. They are just underpaid or paid what they deserve.

What overpaid players will do, they always affect to internal salary hierarchy, when someone matches the production of the overpaid player. After few years when you have enough these guys, you have a cap hell and a weak team.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Yes, Philly.

But I guess Fedotenko is enough of a splash to make up for that.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
srd
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
What stupid sentence.

What overpaid players will do, they always affect to internal salary hierarchy, when someone matches the production of the overpaid player. After few years when you have enough these guys, you have a cap hell and a weak team.
Exactly.

Not many people on here seem to understand that this is a business and not some video game that you play where you can arbitrarily sign players.

As a general comment on the "Dead Wings 2.0" topic, I think most of you don't realize that an organization falls into decline when it rots from the head. Yet, Detroit is lucky enough to have the Ilitch family own this franchise, a family that has shown a concerted desire to keep spending and keep winning. This is where it starts. Even if there are seasons that disappoint, having cap space and an owner willing to spend that space is always a positive and prevents the mediocrity that often befalls franchises trying to institute the "find a bargain and milk the fans" mentality. Detroit is NOT there in my opinion. Oh, and having a great front office helps as well (no matter what some of you might say).

srd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
Holland still has just under three months until the regular season. He's not going to make any rash or stupid moves. We're only seven days in... let's wait and see what it all looks like in October.

If the Wings still have 16 million in cap space when the season starts, then yes indeed dark days may be coming.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd View Post
Exactly.

Not many people on here seem to understand that this is a business and not some video game that you play where you can arbitrarily sign players.

As a general comment on the "Dead Wings 2.0" topic, I think most of you don't realize that an organization falls into decline when it rots from the head. Yet, Detroit is lucky enough to have the Ilitch family own this franchise, a family that has shown a concerted desire to keep spending and keep winning. This is where it starts. Even if there are seasons that disappoint, having cap space and an owner willing to spend that space is always a positive and prevents the mediocrity that often befalls franchises trying to institute the "find a bargain and milk the fans" mentality. Detroit is NOT there in my opinion. Oh, and having a great front office helps as well (no matter what some of you might say).
Well said. It seems like you have a better grasp of reality than most people on here.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:10 PM
KanetoToews2883

Like someone else in this thread already said .

"See you in the playoffs".

Missing out on Parise and Suter is not proof that God hates Detroit or anything like that. And correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't defenseman an area of depth in your minors.

Can't one or two of Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Jonathon Ericsson fill top 4 roles?

Kronwall is still a top 4 defenseman, White can amicably serve as a top 4 guy. Quincey is probably a fringy top 4 guy but he's still serviceable.

So what is wrong with a Kronwall- White Ericsson - Quincey , Smith-Kindl 6 dmen?

I mean, it doesn't appear to me that your top 2 is super strong but the depth is there...

KanetoToews2883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:15 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
What stupid sentence.

What a stupid post.
If we had one salary out of whack, there is nothing forcing a second salary out of whack

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
Well said. It seems like you have a better grasp of reality than most people on here.
LOL
It's funny that you feel all superior to people when almost NOBODY in this thread, not even those who criticize Holland, agree that we're headed towards the Dead Wings era.

It's also funny that you're agreeing with a guy who says we'll never suck too bad because the Illitch family will spend money.

The Maple Leafs spend money.

It comes down to how you spend your money.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
LOL
It's funny that you feel all superior to people when almost NOBODY in this thread, not even those who criticize Holland, agree that we're headed towards the Dead Wings era.

It's also funny that you're agreeing with a guy who says we'll never suck too bad because the Illitch family will spend money.

Don't you get it yet,Bob? Anyone that takes a critical look at this team is delusional, only deals in negativity and is not a true fan.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanetoToews2883 View Post
Like someone else in this thread already said .

"See you in the playoffs".

Missing out on Parise and Suter is not proof that God hates Detroit or anything like that. And correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't defenseman an area of depth in your minors.

Can't one or two of Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Jonathon Ericsson fill top 4 roles?

Kronwall is still a top 4 defenseman, White can amicably serve as a top 4 guy. Quincey is probably a fringy top 4 guy but he's still serviceable.

So what is wrong with a Kronwall- White Ericsson - Quincey , Smith-Kindl 6 dmen?

I mean, it doesn't appear to me that your top 2 is super strong but the depth is there...
Actually, we're slightly weak in the D department. Beyond Brendan Smith, Xavier Ouellet, and Ryan Sproul, there's not much. We have much more depth at the forward position.

There is nothing wrong with those six D-men. Some people will think the sky is falling no matter what. Granted, we are weaker without Lidstrom and Stuart, but it's not like we have the worst defensive group. We do NEED another defenseman or two signed though.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Yes, Philly.

But I guess Fedotenko is enough of a splash to make up for that.
At least on HFBoards it is.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Don't you get it yet,Bob? Anyone that takes a critical look at this team is delusional, only deals in negativity and is not a true fan.
Well, this should help.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
LOL

The difference is, the Leafs management sucks. Ours does not (despite what you and others believe). I think you missed that part of his post.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
The difference is, the Leafs management sucks. Ours does not (despite what you and others believe). I think you missed that part of his post.
After 20+ years of mostly excellent work, the Wings management hasn't been very good for the last four offseasons.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Well, this should help.
Here to ?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
After 20+ years of mostly excellent work, the Wings management hasn't been very good for the last four offseasons.
In what way? Because we've had early exits from the playoffs the last three years? I don't consider that failure. Many teams would love to have our problems. Fans have to accept that our days of winning the Cup every few years are over for the foreseeable future. But this doesn't mean we suck.

Old
07-07-2012, 06:56 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanetoToews2883 View Post

Good depth, but we have no top 2. Kronwall is a fringe top pairing guy unless he's got a strong anchor around. Also, lot of youth can look scary on a blueline that has had old goats like Lidstrom, Rafalski and Cheli patrolling it the past few years. Almost all of those guys are prone to a good number of turnovers and frequent defensive lapses. All decent puck-movers but no real shut down types.

I still believe we can make the playoffs with this group with some key components: Health, stepping up by committee, big strides from the young players, and most importantly changing our defensive system/style. We're still far off from contending though and another early exit seems likely if no new additions are made.

Quote:
In what way? Because we've had early exits from the playoffs the last three years? I don't consider that failure. Many teams would love to have our problems. Fans have to accept that our days of winning the Cup every few years are over for the foreseeable future. But this doesn't mean we suck.
It's not managements fault we've had early exits, but trending downward fast while only getting mediocre moves done in the meantime is. A team like Toronto is finally trending upward while we slide down. I would say they've had better offseasons the last few years as well, but I'm content with winning during that time frame. That's the way it goes in a cap world and we all understand that.

Last edited by kuick: 07-07-2012 at 07:03 PM.
kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Compare the players in vs players out.

Our roster is worse. Also, in that time, despite a weaker roster, we've introduced one somewhat signficant player to the roster (Abdelkader).

Old
07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:

I don't know how you define "end of the world", but in the last two years we lost Rafi, Lidstrom and Stuart--and replaced them with White and Quincey. Last time I checked, the West was amazingly tight and we finished 5th. Not much room for error.

What I don't get is why we're sitting on $16.8M of cap space with one roster spot left. By all accounts, we we were outbid for Suter--and Holland was ok with that (i.e. he said $8M less was "very competitive"?). Apparently, he and many wings fans think Suter was given too much money. But my question is: If we're not going to give it to Suter, then who? Last year we had about $5M in dead cap space doing us absolutely nothing. This year we'll probably have much, much more. Last time I checked, even a overpaid player scores more than unused cap money.

What's the argument here? The entire league is full of horrible players that aren't worth this money, so we'd rather just let it rot? I don't get it.
Someone gets it. Someone ****ing gets it. And yes, Philly did lose a few of their good d too, but the amount of young talent they have on their roster right now compared to ours isn't even comprable. Yes we have a good prospect pool, but Philly's young guys are playing what we HOPE guys like Jarncrok and Jurco will play like.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:45 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Yeah, I'd say I stay up for at least 50-60 games per season, and the games start at 1 AM for home games, which is basically as early as it gets except for some Sunday games. But being a full-time student, it's difficult to keep it going the entire season
It's even worse in Finland, games start at 2 AM. Crossing fingers for Detroit moving to East..

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
It's even worse in Finland, games start at 2 AM. Crossing fingers for Detroit moving to East..
I made a few "first-world problems" memes to cheer you up.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:08 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Qft :d

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:02 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I made a few "first-world problems" memes to cheer you up.

LOl, awesome.

But if we don't get addition is may or may not be good that I can't watch those games.

But on a serious note I probably have to buy Gamecenter for next year.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote