HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hjalmersson for Backstrom

Old
07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Rather have Keith , Seabrook , Leddy , Hammer , Brookbank and Monty/Olsen over wasting 3.3M and roster space on the bum
If it wasn't Oduya, it would have been another "bum".. it just would have been a more expensive one.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Hawkaholic

Yup, Oduya is looking like a good signing now, especially after seeing Carle get 5.5mil/yr.

I didn't like the deal at the beginning, but after seeing the market dry up before July 1st, and watching crappy Dmen get 3.5+, I have zero problem with the Oduya signing. Especially if it means we can trade Hammer for something useful.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Yup, Oduya is looking like a good signing now, especially after seeing Carle get 5.5mil/yr.

I didn't like the deal at the beginning, but after seeing the market dry up before July 1st, and watching crappy Dmen get 3.5+, I have zero problem with the Oduya signing. Especially if it means we can trade Hammer for something useful.
I'm not crazy about giving Oduya 3.5M to be a 3rd pairing d-man. However, he's good insurance in the event something happens to our "real" top-4. That said, I don't want to trade Hammer. What kind of "useful" piece would have to come back? OUr top 4 d-men are set. We have Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Stallberg, and Bolland as our best (didn't say top) 6 forwards.... We have other forwards ready to jump up from the AHL. I just don't know what you'd have to get for Hammer, that would provide us more value than Hammer already does, without creating another hole that trading Hammer would surely create.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Backstrom is not as good as you all think. I would not do this trade.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
For the last time, Oduya was not a mistake. If they didn't sign him they would have signed another, simular player and, juding by the market, that player would have been more expensive and likely no better for what Chicago needs.

Whether you like Oduya, the price he cost or Bowman that doesn't matter.. the Hawks, the team, needed someone like him to help move the puck. Who would you rather have gotten to do that?
This. Not sure why there's so much hate against Oduya. Sure he had a crap playoffs, but really who didn't? He was great in the reg season games he played with us. People around here act like he makes 8 million a year.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Backstrom is not as good as you all think. I would not do this trade.
It's not necessarily is he a great goalie question as much as it is a is he an upgrade over our current roster, and would trading for him improve the roster at all.

With that being said, I don't believe trading Hjalmarsson for him improves the roster. We lose one of our top 4 D for a small upgrade in goal, but he cost more than Crawford.

I dont think that trade is worth it. I'd keep Crawford and Hjalmarsson

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
It's not necessarily is he a great goalie question as much as it is a is he an upgrade over our current roster, and would trading for him improve the roster at all.

With that being said, I don't believe trading Hjalmarsson for him improves the roster. We lose one of our top 4 D for a small upgrade in goal, but he cost more than Crawford.

I dont think that trade is worth it. I'd keep Crawford and Hjalmarsson
I think if you can get him for prospects that are not key to us you do it and pay him the $6MM. But we cannot afford to get rid of a D that is decent with a reasonable cap hit signed for a couple years for a goalie pretty close to over the hill on the last year of his contract.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I think if you can get him for prospects that are not key to us you do it and pay him the $6MM. But we cannot afford to get rid of a D that is decent with a reasonable cap hit signed for a couple years for a goalie pretty close to over the hill on the last year of his contract.
Exactly.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
hawksfan50

They are not trading Hammer now--that $3.5 million for a 2nd pairing d-man who provides 9-15 range POSITIVES in the +/- does not look so costly now ..ure he doesn't score 40 pts--but if he did he'd get 5-7 million ....he is good value for us...

THIN--Suter had we landed him would have been a 7.5 million 2nd pair guy (albeit a #1 or #2 playing a #3 spot)--but it would have been a CRAZY number in allocation /structure...IF the guy is a #1 playing 30 minutes as a #1 -yes but for a #3 or 334 - today's market at about $3.5 million per is about right given the cap inflation level...

WE have a wad of vaunted prospects (allegedly) therfore trade from that alleged deep pile to get a goalie --OR buy in to the Bowman belied system that 1. you cannot spend too much cap on goslies and ii) you can win with good enough goaltending-you do not need elite level goaltending...BACKSTROM is 34 years old and may not belike Brodeur who can play lots of games into his 40's ..Backstrom's best years could already be behind him and the risk on him is how many games a year can he NOW withstand?

Nevertheless --a Leddy (home Minnesotan) for Backstom deal I WOULD DO because
I am skeptical Leddy is the next Erik Karlsson and if he can'r elevate to that level offensively but plateaus at the 37-50 pt level whle giving us -12's -that i) is not good enough for us to contend and ii) would get plucked away once he gets to ufa because teams will pay big for 50 pt "offensemen" -so we'll lose him anyway down the road. IF we can get a current need fixed in goal AND RETAIN a steady +9-15 type in Hjalmarsson chewing minutes on the 2nd paring -I'd rather have that than the show of LEDDy getting overpowered and the puck is in the back of our net replaying constantly.

OF course some will say-but if we trade him to MINN and with Suter et.al he blossoms into a 70 pts guy andgoes +20 -well so what?-he probably was not going to do that here due to the fact CC can't bail out his mistakes and his getting overpowered and because our coach lets our vaunted forwards play lazy i n our zone so nobody will bail out Leddy when he gets beat (which is tooo frequent) but in MINN--no way ther coach lets any player get lazy...HOWEVER if LEDDY IS the cat's meow -then we ought to get BACKSTROM PLUS a pick for him ..If he is the next Karlsson we should extract a high proce from MINNto get their "local talent" added to their new local talent mixs...

NO-- I say keep HAMMEr dump Leddy and get a NEED and a FUTURE from MINNY for him..

THEN the proper move is to add another big tough physical crease clearer to partner Odya on the 3rd pairing not a weakling PMD who gets overpowered like Leddy does..

LET us get the correct structure...

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Hawkaholic

I'd be OK with trading Leddy for a 2nd line C, like a Getzlaf or to a lessar extent Stastny.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I'd be OK with trading Leddy for a 2nd line C, like a Getzlaf or to a lessar extent Stastny.
Of course you would, anyone would. But no team is going to take an unproven 21 year old defenseman for a guy like Getzlaf. Getzla is going to cost you Sharp or Seabrook or at the very least, Bolland.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Of course you would, anyone would. But no team is going to take an unproven 21 year old defenseman for a guy like Getzlaf. Getzla is going to cost you Sharp or Seabrook or at the very least, Bolland.
It would be Leddy + other assets

And Leddy is far from Unproven

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
It would be Leddy + other assets

And Leddy is far from Unproven
He's far from what it would take to get Ryan Getzlaf. Hawk fans vastly overrate the worst of their own players and prospects, then again, its not limited to just Hawk fans. Like I said before, maybe Leddy and Sharp get you Getzlaf but Leddy and prospects....come on.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Leddy + could bring us Stastny if the Avs have some money problems.

I think that Leddy & Hjammer could end up as great 2nd pair. They need to find a better chemistry and Leddy to improve his game

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Would rather keep Hammer and get Beriner for a prospect (Morin) and a 1st round pick.

This way the Hawks keep their 3rd best defensive D-man and upgrade with a young goalie who has a future in net.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

I would love Stastny....or Landeskog for that matter. Ahhhh...to dream.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bernier wasn't dealt yet... no team is willing to give a 1st for him

Old
07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Bernier wasn't dealt yet... no team is willing to give a 1st for him
The Hawks should be.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why? Why give a 1st for a goalie that isn't an upgrade over what we have?

Old
07-05-2012, 03:53 PM
madgoat33

*a first for a goalie that may not be an upgrade over what we have

more accurate that way.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

may, is... in the end he isn't worth giving up a first. GMs seem to agree to this

Old
07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
may, is... in the end he isn't worth giving up a first. GMs seem to agree to this
Most GMs who 1. don't have the goalie issue the Hawks have and 2. don't have the prospects the Hawks have, the Hawks who will always have a late round first pick and a deep prospect pool can make this trade, the issue is that Bowman thinks we are fine at goalie, why, I only wish I knew.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman knows that our goaltending sucks... he won't say it public. Bowman wanted to add Brodeur and talked about Luongo. Bowman wants to change it. He just hasn't had the chance to get a player that is better than Crawford. You are so ignorant to this topic it's at a point that it's worse than coldsteel and his Bowman hate

Old
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Hawkaholic

No thanks to Bernier if it cost a 1st, let alone adding one of our top prospects.

You don't give those away for a guy who is unproven and has demanded a trade.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
No thanks to Bernier if it cost a 1st, let alone adding one of our top prospects.

You don't give those away for a guy who is unproven and has demanded a trade.
A Hawkaholic post from another thread, "Goaltending and our bottom 6 is what we need to improve."

Yet when someone suggests bringing in one of the best goalie prospects in the league, LOL NOPE, HANG ON TO THAT 1ST.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote