HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So what now? (mod: how to respond to Suter/Parise signing by Wild)

Old
07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
19sharks19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchPail View Post
There's just no way that Burke would allow all those assets sent to Beantown to reduce down to Anttii Niemi...
Could add the likes of Clowe in a deal. Burke continues to talk of how they really need some grit on their squad. A deal with multi players going both ways.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
WantonAbandon

What now? Nothing really has changed. My guess is the Sharks still sign Arnott, but now there is an opportunity with the Wild.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:20 PM
gonegonegone*

wild is going to have such a sick team. i count at least 4 teams (stl, minn, van, LA) that are probably going to be better than the sharks next season. not to mention chicago. at least detroit is hosed.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
wild is going to have such a sick team. i count at least 4 teams (stl, minn, van, LA) that are probably going to be better than the sharks next season. not to mention chicago. at least detroit is hosed.
I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild miss the playoffs.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
So what now?? Well, Scott Reiss says the Sharks are close to hiring a new assistant. That's something :-) lol

with a one-trick-pony at the helm, Jesus Christ himself as an assistant won't help us

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Wings, Preds, Coyotes and Sharks on way down. Wild on way up.
Fixed

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post

with a one-trick-pony at the helm, Jesus Christ himself as an assistant won't help us
Amen

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Could add the likes of Clowe in a deal. Burke continues to talk of how they really need some grit on their squad. A deal with multi players going both ways.
If I was to make a trade with Toronto, I'd look to alleviate certain things to make it worth trading with them. They want to add grit and I get that. We realistically have Clowe and Murray available for that. If we're moving Murray, I'd want Gunnarsson coming back. None of the forwards are ideal solutions with probably MacArthur being the best in terms of value that is available from Toronto's end. I also wouldn't be opposed to trading Toronto Antti Niemi but I don't think DW has the guts to ride Stalock and Greiss for next year.

Something like Clowe, Murray, and Handzus for Gunnarsson, MacArthur, and Lombardi would be worth it to me. If the Handzus for Lombardi part can't be put in, I'd prefer to keep Clowe instead of swapping for MacArthur and I would do Murray and a 2nd for Gunnarsson.

Quote:
Last year, the Wild were an awful team that had a hot start. They came crashing down to earth after that 20-7-3 start. Parise and Suter makes them better but their depth still sucks. Chances are they won't get off to such a hot start this year and chances are they won't suck so hard to finish but they'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year with what they have.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
I'm in Detroit this week, and all they are talking about is, "now what?". Seems the fans were really counting on Suter here.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:00 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Last year, the Wild were an awful team that had a hot start. They came crashing down to earth after that 20-7-3 start.
Injuries sure didn't help though. I think at one point, they lost 5 of their Top-6 forwards.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
19sharks19

What about an offer sheet for Weber and stack the D?

Old
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Injuries sure didn't help though. I think at one point, they lost 5 of their Top-6 forwards.
Whether they had stayed healthy or not, they weren't going to sustain the play they were doing in that start. That involved some ridiculous Tim Thomas level goaltending from Backstrom. The injuries didn't help but they weren't that good anyway.

They will be better this year but playoff bound is not something I'm sold on yet with their depth.

Quote:
What about an offer sheet for Weber and stack the D?
An offer sheet is what Nashville wants. If you offer anything sane like 5 years, 40 million dollars, Nashville will match it and get their guy long term like they want. You'd have to do something like 4 or 5 years at an 8.5 mil cap hit in the 4 1st round pick bracket to even make them consider letting him go. And then, you're giving them a good chunk of your future when if you let them come to you with a trade, you can get him for less or you can let Weber play it out himself where he goes to arbitration and then takes a one year and hits UFA status.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Pavelski+Marleau+Boyle+Rights to the franchise for Ovie

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:13 PM
19sharks19

How's a Clowe and Pav's offer for Lucic sound like? Too much? Too little? Just a thought for discussion.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:15 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
How's a Clowe and Pav's offer for Lucic sound like? Too much? Too little? Just a thought for discussion.
Too much.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lucic is good but he is not that good.

07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Whether they had stayed healthy or not, they weren't going to sustain the play they were doing in that start. That involved some ridiculous Tim Thomas level goaltending from Backstrom. The injuries didn't help but they weren't that good anyway.

They will be better this year but playoff bound is not something I'm sold on yet with their depth.
They won't break through next year, but don't the Wild have the highest rated prospect pool in the league? In 2-3 years, they could be pretty scary.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
way too much.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
way too much.
I think so as well. How about a Clowe and Niemi for Lucic move? I personally don't want to lose Pav's in any deals, although he is being mentioned in many.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
They won't break through next year, but don't the Wild have the highest rated prospect pool in the league? In 2-3 years, they could be pretty scary.
Depends on who you talk to. They have a solid pool of defensemen but they will take a long time to develop. Granlund is really good. Coyle and Phillips could be solid forwards but not high end. Their pool is good relative to the league but development has always been an issue in Minnesota. And I wouldn't count on anyone in their pool in two to three years except for Granlund. He might be like Koivu where he will be too good to screw up like the Wild have done to a few over the years.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Last year, the Wild were an awful team that had a hot start. They came crashing down to earth after that 20-7-3 start. Parise and Suter makes them better but their depth still sucks. Chances are they won't get off to such a hot start this year and chances are they won't suck so hard to finish but they'll be lucky to make the playoffs this year with what they have.
i think ppl are underestimating that team. yeah they had a terrible 2nd half (as did we), but they are a young team on the rise with a decent prospect pool (granlund, coyle, phillips, brondin) that will be seeing time in the next few seasons, as well as other young players (clutterbuck, spurgeon) who are going to get better this season. a first line of kovu parise and heater is in the top tier in the league, and decent depth fwds like brodziak, seto, bouchard, cullen make their 2nd line not-a-joke. not to mention one of the better goaltending duos in backy and harding. addition of suter also helps their defense immensely.

ill be shocked if this team doesn't make the playoffs and could challenge van for the nw.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
i think ppl are underestimating that team. yeah they had a terrible 2nd half (as did we), but they are a young team on the rise with a decent prospect pool (granlund, coyle, phillips, brondin) that will be seeing time in the next few seasons, as well as other young players (clutterbuck, spurgeon) who are going to get better this season. a first line of kovu parise and heater is in the top tier in the league, and decent depth fwds like brodziak, seto, bouchard, cullen make their 2nd line not-a-joke. not to mention one of the better goaltending duos in backy and harding. addition of suter also helps their defense immensely.

ill be shocked if this team doesn't make the playoffs and could challenge van for the nw.
Their lineup next year is not that impressive.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley (definitely good top line)
Bouchard-Brodziak-Setoguchi (this is not that good)
Mitchell-Cullen-Clutterbuck (solid offensively but not good defensively)
Powe-Konopka-Kassian

Suter-Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon
Falk/Stoner-Prosser

Backstrom-Harding

Their 2nd and 3rd lines are simply not that good and their blue line depth is young and/or inexperienced. The goaltending solid but generally nothing special. They may make the playoffs based on what happens to Phoenix, Detroit, and Nashville but they are no sure thing and they will not challenge Vancouver for the division, I feel.

They do have a very solid pool of prospects but one big issue that has plagued Minnesota for a while is development. A lot of what they draft and develop do not live up to expectations. Sheppard is an example. Bouchard is an example. Thelen hasn't even played. Pouliot and Gillies had issues. They pretty much gave up on Leddy.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:00 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

It always works out when teams sign the two "best" free agents

Selšnne/Kariya
Gomez/ Drury

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
dwood16

Quote:
If I was to make a trade with Toronto, I'd look to alleviate certain things to make it worth trading with them. They want to add grit and I get that. We realistically have Clowe and Murray available for that. If we're moving Murray, I'd want Gunnarsson coming back. None of the forwards are ideal solutions with probably MacArthur being the best in terms of value that is available from Toronto's end. I also wouldn't be opposed to trading Toronto Antti Niemi but I don't think DW has the guts to ride Stalock and Greiss for next year.

Something like Clowe, Murray, and Handzus for Gunnarsson, MacArthur, and Lombardi would be worth it to me. If the Handzus for Lombardi part can't be put in, I'd prefer to keep Clowe instead of swapping for MacArthur and I would do Murray and a 2nd for Gunnarsson.

Actually, wasn't the reason they came crashing down due to injury? Didn't Koivu get hurt?

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Actually, wasn't the reason they came crashing down due to injury? Didn't Koivu get hurt?
They did have injuries but they weren't playing sustainable hockey either. They were winning on the back of a ridiculous goaltending run even before the injuries. A goaltending run that was similar to Tim Thomas' epic season.