HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So what now? (mod: how to respond to Suter/Parise signing by Wild)

Old
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
if you feel your team is close then you make the last few acquisitions to put you over the top whatever it takes. most recent elite teams have done so. lak last season went from ho hum first round losers to studtastic champs with some significant additions and super long contracts.
And there are a whole lot of teams that lost after acquiring various "studs". Philly has been following the "acquire studs" paradigm for ages with nothing to show for it. Very high churn team.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
And there are a whole lot of teams that lost after acquiring various "studs". Philly has been following the "acquire studs" paradigm for ages with nothing to show for it. Very high churn team.
philly made the finals after their biggest acquisition (pronger) and mightve upset a very unfairly stacked chicago team if their goaltenders weren't total jokes.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
philly made the finals after their biggest acquisition (pronger) and mightve upset a very unfairly stacked chicago team if their goaltenders weren't total jokes.
Go back to the 90s. Philly has been going "almost but not quite" for a long time. They don't have a clue on goalies or dmen in terms of drafting. I won't knock them too badly as they have the most playoff rounds over a couple of decades of all "high turnover" teams (>2.0 top ten skaters turned over per season measured over a decade).

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post

with a one-trick-pony at the helm, Jesus Christ himself as an assistant won't help us
This post just made me think of it

My mother who happens to be an Episcopal Minister has a bumper sticker that says: Jesus Saves ...Gretzky gets the rebound, shoots & scores!!!

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
This post just made me think of it

My mother who happens to be an Episcopal Minister has a bumper sticker that says: Jesus Saves ...Gretzky gets the rebound, shoots & scores!!!
Sooo .. Nemo is Jesus?

07-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Their lineup next year is not that impressive.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley (definitely good top line)
Bouchard-Brodziak-Setoguchi (this is not that good)
Mitchell-Cullen-Clutterbuck (solid offensively but not good defensively)
Powe-Konopka-Kassian

Suter-Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon
Falk/Stoner-Prosser

Backstrom-Harding

Their 2nd and 3rd lines are simply not that good and their blue line depth is young and/or inexperienced. The goaltending solid but generally nothing special. They may make the playoffs based on what happens to Phoenix, Detroit, and Nashville but they are no sure thing and they will not challenge Vancouver for the division, I feel.

They do have a very solid pool of prospects but one big issue that has plagued Minnesota for a while is development. A lot of what they draft and develop do not live up to expectations. Sheppard is an example. Bouchard is an example. Thelen hasn't even played. Pouliot and Gillies had issues. They pretty much gave up on Leddy.
Wild fan here, I come in peace. Just want to clarify what the lines will probably look like.
Parise - Koivu - Heatley
PMB - Granlund - Seto ---possibly switching PMB with someone else. We are unsure.
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutter
Mitchell - Konopka - Powe
Kassian/Veilleux

You had the defense right, except most of us expect Brodin to make the club and play top four minutes.
Also want to clear up the whole prospect issues we have had in the past. In the old Douge Risenborough regime, they drafted horribly, and then stuck the kids in the NHL. There was no development.
The new regime has done the opposite, put a huge emphasis on the draft and having a deep pool, and refining their game in the minors (ala 6 kids turning pro this summer). Hockeysfuture spring ratings gave us the 2nd best pool in the league. It's something. We have two legit elite prospects in Granlund and Brodin. Past that, we have sub-elite, but with high ceilings like Coyle, Larsson, Phillips, Hackett, Dumba. Plently of mid rating prospects like Bulmer, Zucker. While half of prospects never turn out what people think it's nice to have a large pool so that 3-4 do.

IMO, the Wild trade for another defensemen before this summer is over. Many people think the Wild are a shoe in for the playoffs, many think they are borderline. For the owner and fan expectations going into the 12-13 season, it is a MUST. Anything less than making them is a failure and I think Fletcher is going to make a trade to bolster that backend. The future is bright.

BTW, don't think for a second you Sharks fans shouldn't be in the discussion as Cup favorites. Your roster is stacked.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
If Granlund and Brodin get in there, they will have to come out on fire. I was under the impression that they might want to be patient with them and give them a year in Houston. But if they get in there out of camp, it does help the 2nd line a bit. I still don't like Bouchard being up there. Solid play-maker when he's in the lineup but it's just been so long since he's had a healthy season. And Seto on the other side isn't going to help much except stretch the play and give you some good hits. He's not much for pushing possession, setting up plays, or playing defense.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If Granlund and Brodin get in there, they will have to come out on fire. I was under the impression that they might want to be patient with them and give them a year in Houston. But if they get in there out of camp, it does help the 2nd line a bit. I still don't like Bouchard being up there. Solid play-maker when he's in the lineup but it's just been so long since he's had a healthy season. And Seto on the other side isn't going to help much except stretch the play and give you some good hits. He's not much for pushing possession, setting up plays, or playing defense.
Yeah I think we all know it's important to give Seto every opportunity to be the 'go' to shooting guy. When he was given that opportunity last year, especially after his injury, he excelled and was many times the best forward in the O zone. But when you asked him to play D and also be a playmaker (ala playing with Koivu and Heatley) you could tell he struggled to keep his identity. Guys got a rocket of a shot.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote