HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny+ for Joe Colborne+

Old
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
How is that fair?

That's less going to Colorado then Richards returned and more coming from Colorado than Philly sent to LA.
Mike Richards netted for Philadelphia: Brayden Schenn , Wayne Simmonds, and a second-round pick in the 2012 draft

Based on your all purpose Stastny thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...53&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
If you want to offer for him, solve our need for a top pairing defender (preferably LH and under 27) OR offer a can't-miss scoring winger which also would play well with Duchene (Duchene likes to control the flow of offense by having the puck on his stick) and has the legs to keep up with him.

Paul Stastny: $6.6 million (2 years)

Dion Phaneuf : $6.5 million (2 years)
Nikolai Kulemin: RFA
2nd round 2013

Avalanche receive Phanuef who is a 27 year old left handed shot defenseman that scored 44 points last year and would be top pairing on at least half the teams in the NHL. Phanuef is not under 27 years old, but he is close to what the Avalanche is asking for in a defenseman age wise along with having that veteran presence.

In addition, the Avalanche receives a winger who can cycle the puck well around the boards and dish it out to Duchene so he can control the puck on his stick. Kulemin is strong defensively which would help Duchene while Kulemin still can put up points when needed.

The Leafs get their number one center and give up two NHL roster players that would help Colorado moving forward along with a 2013 second round draft pick to help with stocking the prospect pool. This is something similar to what Mike Richards netted for Philadelphia except with what Colorado’s needs in mind for a top pairing defender and winger to help Duchene.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Mike Richards netted for Philadelphia: Brayden Schenn , Wayne Simmonds, and a second-round pick in the 2012 draft

2nd round 2013

Paul Stastny – $6.6 million (2 years)

Avalanche receive Phanuef who is a 27 year old left handed shot defenseman that scored 44 points last year and would be top pairing on at least half the teams in the NHL. Phanuef is not under 27 years old, but he is close to what the Avalanche is asking for in a defenseman age wise along with having that veteran presence.

In addition, the Avalanche receives a winger who can cycle the puck well around the boards and dish it out to Duchene so he can control the puck on his stick. Kulemin is strong defensively which would help Duchene while Kulemin still can put up points when needed.

The Leafs get their number one center and give up two NHL roster players that would help Colorado moving forward along with a 2013 second round draft pick to help with stocking the prospect pool. This is something similar to what Mike Richards netted for Philadelphia except with what Colorado’s needs in mind for a top pairing defender and winger to help Duchene.
I don't see Burke doing this.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:

2nd round 2013

Throw in a Lombardi to replace Stastny and I think it looks decent, I've always liked Lombardi's speed.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I don't see Burke doing this.
It would be a tough to trade the captain of the team, but Burke has some decent defensive prospects in Reilly and Percy that would be moving up within the next two years. Burke has the option to trade for another top pairing defender as he has been known to ship out Kaberle and then replacing him with Liles (coincidently from Colorado).

Depending on how badly Burke and Carlyle want to re-vamp this roster for next year, anything could be possible at this point.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Drij

Sorry but you guys are stuck with Dion Phaneuf.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
cgf

Quote:

2nd round 2013

That's a pretty reasonable offer, but I think that if the Avs traded Staz there's a good chance they could get Yandle from Phoenix or Enstrom from Winnipeg, both of whom I'd prefer if we're going after an established veteran LH partner for EJ.

So while that's actually a reasonable proposal, a rarity when Leafs fans approach Avs fans about a possible Stastny trade, but this Avs fan would prefer not to make that trade.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:

2nd round 2013
No one will dispute the value of an offer like this (except probably fellow Leafs fans judging by this thread so far).

But I personally can't look past Phaneuf's past character problems that caused him to get kicked out of Calgary, a team which could desperately use the old Dion Phaneuf back right about now.

IF Sherman felt this type of offer (and IF Burke got on the phone with this) sufficiently addressed our need for another top pairing guy to play with EJ, I could see it working.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:23 PM
PAZ

Quote:

2nd round 2013

I actually don't mind this one bit. I'd have to think about it, but it's definitely one that I would ponder over. Only thing is that Phaneuf seems to get out of position when he tries to deliver those huge hits. I'd rather have a defense who would cover EJ's mishaps, not EJ covering the other players.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
Frattin is 24. Kulemin is 25. He has scored 30 goals in the NHL being 24. You are the only person on the planet who thinks he has more trade value than Kulemin, even after the last 7 goal season.
Additionally Kulemin is VERY good defensivelly.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:28 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Ask yourself, would you rather have:

Landeskog Duchene Parenteau
Jones O'Reilly Downie
MacArthur Colborne Kulemin
McGinn Mitchell Kobasew

OR

McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
Hejduk-Duchene-Parenteau
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew
Bolded looks way better at first glance but I don't follow enough COL games to be sure.

Hedjuk seems pretty soft... I'm assuming he's being included in OP as an additional cap dump?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Bolded looks way better at first glance but I don't follow enough COL games to be sure.

Hedjuk seems pretty soft... I'm assuming he's being included in OP as an additional cap dump?
for who not for colorado

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Fine by me.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:

2nd round 2013
Regardless what you think about Phaneuf, as you clearly think he is garbage, if you are trading a guy from your blue line that plays 25+ minutes a night and are not bringing anything back and have no one in the system who can cover those minutes and there is no one in free agency that can fill that void... then you're completely out to lunch because you're creating a giant, gaping hole to plug a smaller, though important one.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Ah yes, tragic. Woe unto me, we are stuck with Dion Phaneuf.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Production! We talking Production!

Statsny 427GM 126G 248A 374P +4 .30GPG .58 APG .88 PPG

Kessel 456GM 165G 162A 327P -33 .36GPG .36APG .72PPG

Did you guys give up 2 1sts and a 2nd for Grabovski also.

Cause an effective center has more value than a scoring winger with no defence.
What a terrible argument. Statsny's on his way down, Kessel just finished with 82 points and 6th in league scoring.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Hopefully we re-sign him. I'd like to be stuck with him a little longer.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
It would be a tough to trade the captain of the team, but Burke has some decent defensive prospects in Reilly and Percy that would be moving up within the next two years. Burke has the option to trade for another top pairing defender as he has been known to ship out Kaberle and then replacing him with Liles (coincidently from Colorado).

Depending on how badly Burke and Carlyle want to re-vamp this roster for next year, anything could be possible at this point.
How often does a top-pairing defenseman come up in trade talks?

Almost never.

This is just awful for the Leafs. I don't even understand where Stastny is valued at, what the basis is for the valuations, because I'll tell you it's not on any statistical mean, that's for sure. Maybe he has a magic lamp?

Old
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

I don't know why Stastny and Phaneuf are so tragically underrated on these boards. They both are #1 at their positions and are paid market value in a $70M cap era. I think that they've had points in their careers where they've been top 10 in the league at their position but they don't often live up to that.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

Hejduk a cap dump? Are we being punked or what?

And bolded look way worse that the lineup below.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

I would do something around Phaneuf I think. He gets a bad rap, but he's got the tools to be a great defenseman, and he and Johnson on a line together would certainly be, uh.. pugnacious. There's pretty much three scenarios I see for Stastny, IF he were to be traded (and that should be emphasized because almost none of these proposals are being created by us Avs fans).

Stastny + pick/prospect for Yandle
Statsny for Enstrom (if an extension were lined up or already in place, I'd do this one for one)
Stastny for Phaneuf + pick/prospect

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
JVRallday

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
I would do something around Phaneuf I think. He gets a bad rap, but he's got the tools to be a great defenseman, and he and Johnson on a line together would certainly be, uh.. pugnacious. There's pretty much three scenarios I see for Stastny, IF he were to be traded (and that should be emphasized because almost none of these proposals are being created by us Avs fans).

Stastny for Phaneuf + pick/prospect
He is already a great defenceman for us. Thanks for offering though.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVRallday View Post
He is already a great defenceman for us. Thanks for offering though.
As far as I know it's always Leafs fans offering stuff for Stastny.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
How often does a top-pairing defenseman come up in trade talks?

Almost never.

This is just awful for the Leafs. I don't even understand where Stastny is valued at, what the basis is for the valuations, because I'll tell you it's not on any statistical mean, that's for sure. Maybe he has a magic lamp?
Top pairing defensemen do come up in trade talks, such as Jay Bouwmeester trade/sign to Calgary before free agency, Shea Weber and Keith Yandle at this time. Chris Pronger was traded twice in more recent years, along with Phaneuf to Toronto.

Top six centers are traded too, like Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Mike Ribero and Derek Roy recently. It all depends on what the general manager is looking to upgrade for the upcoming season. If Randy Carlyle wants a different team then he may ask Burke to shore up the #1 center position at the cost of a top pairing defenseman.

Who is to say that after Burke trades Phaneuf that he may have a deal lined up for someone like Keith Yandle? On January 31, 2010 Burke did two trades to shore up the roster for goaltending with J.S. Gigeure, and defense with Dion Phaneuf all on the same day.

Who knows what could happen? If players are available and Burke can make deals to strengthen the team then he would have to look at all options.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
A "+" has no business following Stastny in a discussion for Colborne, unless you add multiple +'s after Colborne. Stastny is a proven commodity. Joe Colborne's barely accomplished gettin to the NHL. If you're trading proven production for a wing and a prayer...you need to ship a few good prayers and a prayer of a prayer (high draft pick). That or something decent in value from the Leaf's roster not named Kulemin.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Hejduk a cap dump? Are we being punked or what?

And bolded look way worse that the lineup below.
no, no, everyone on your team is a cap dump when the Leafs want one of your players.

Stastny is at the very least a very good 2nd line center. Good 2nd line centers are rare and extremely difficult to come by. Centers who average 68 points per season in every season in which they play 50+ games are seldom traded.

Why would the Avs trade one of these centers for a guy who's averaged 38 points per season (Kulimen), a guy who's averaged 43 points per season (Macarthur) and an AHL center who's best season was 39 points (in the AHL)?

Think about it.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote