HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Rumors, Proposals, and OOT Signings Thread Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Say goodbye to one of the big '4' (at least) with Weber coming back.

Think of it, your are Poille, you have the best defenseman in the world, the Oilers approach you. What would have to be going through your mind to get talked out of demanding one of Hall, Eberle, Nuge, or Yakupov?

Old
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I don't think Hemsky, Petry, PRV, and a 1st gets it done. Unfortunately having a lot of young talented players suck as Hall, Ebs, RNH, and Yak can be a disadvantage to you come trade talks.

You know that every single team is going to be asking for one of those 4 in return for any of their big assets. And for the Oilers it is not worth it to trade any of them...

The only way Weber gets moved to Edmonton is if one of them is in the deal coming back, whether we as Edmonton fans think it is fair or not, this will most certainly be the asking price.

I think Edmonton would be making a steal of a deal if they could get Weber over here for the original package and sign him to an extension, but unfortunately only a stupid GM trades Quality for Quantity...

Just think that if Weber gets offered sheeted they will get 4 1st round picks in return, now that is where you start your offer price at.
Indeed. You just know that Poile would start the conversation by asking for Yakupov.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:47 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
He'd get more than Suter, barring CBA changes, as a UFA. We'd have cap space but would we have the courage? Courage, or maybe it's stupidity to give out $100M/14 years?

The bidding war, if he's available via trade, would be equally monstrous although Pronger never generated the quality-for-quality returns. Of course, you gotta talk to him to see if he'll sign an extension if traded here and I dunno if he would.
To talk to him, we need to talk to Poile. To talk to Poile, it's only if Weber wants to leave. To make sure Weber needs to leave, we need to talk to him.

I can't see it costing more - this isn't Lindros... or is it?

Obviously, the starting point's the big four. But Tambellini's gotta talk him down... which he can't...

Old
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st
When has a player since Lindros gotten that kind of return?

Old
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think the Pronger move (both times), is similar to what it will cost to acquire Weber.

Lupul (A good young forward), Smid (a top D prospect), two 1sts and a 2nd (in our case, maybe one 1st and 2 2nds because we're bad.

At next year's draft:

Hemsky (Good NHL player), Paajarvi (young forward), Marincin (good D-prospect), top 10 pick, 2013 2nd, 2013 2nd.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Oilers have no shot at Weber for a multitude of reasons.

Old
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
I read on the trade board (FWIW) that Poile has said he'll match any OS. Besides, Petry is nothing more than a #4/5 guy on a playoff team, young but no guarantee for a contender's top pairing in the future.

Shea Weber is the best defenceman in the world. If Petry's gotta go, I do it without blinking.
Nashville can't afford to match a 1y offersheet. If they did they'd lose Weber for nothing next summer. So that's a useful hammer to have. We'd better be sure we can resign him though. 2 1sts + 2nd + 3rd is a lot to give up for 1 year of Weber.

If we're going that route we'd better lock up our kids first too. If we start signing Gagner and Petry quickly we'll know we are serious about putting out an offersheet.

Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Say goodbye to one of the big '4' (at least) with Weber coming back.

Think of it, your are Poille, you have the best defenseman in the world, the Oilers approach you. What would have to be going through your mind to get talked out of demanding one of Hall, Eberle, Nuge, or Yakupov?
Not if he is a pending ufa. No way, no how. And that is how I think it will play out. Weber will be dealt to someone, sans extension, and the Predators are going to take a bath.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Why would we risk losing draft picks for one year of Shea Weber? There's no way that he re-signs here as a UFA. He'd use the Oilers for a massive one year payoff and then look elsewhere.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:50 PM
OilerFan4Life

Just keep in the mind the last time a team threatened to make an offersheet if a team wouldn't deal their RFA, Burke traded for Kessel and gave up....

Tyler Seguin
Dougie Hamilton
Jared Knight

Old
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
When has a player since Lindros gotten that kind of return?
To be fair, 3 of those assets have never played a game (Yakupov, Klefbom, the 1st) and the other has 108 NHL games under his belt.

If your trading a superstar like Weber, they're going to want a proven NHL star back. Unless they are going full rebuild.

Old
Koto

Quote:
In a realistic world it would take Yakupov, Petry, Klefbom, and a 1st
Just say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I don't think Hemsky, Petry, PRV, and a 1st gets it done. Unfortunately having a lot of young talented players suck as Hall, Ebs, RNH, and Yak can be a disadvantage to you come trade talks.

You know that every single team is going to be asking for one of those 4 in return for any of their big assets. And for the Oilers it is not worth it to trade any of them...

The only way Weber gets moved to Edmonton is if one of them is in the deal coming back, whether we as Edmonton fans think it is fair or not, this will most certainly be the asking price.

I think Edmonton would be making a steal of a deal if they could get Weber over here for the original package and sign him to an extension, but unfortunately only a stupid GM trades Quality for Quantity...

Just think that if Weber gets offered sheeted they will get 4 1st round picks in return, now that is where you start your offer price at.
I think i'd do yakupov straight up if weber was in...

really shouldn't have to though. but really TALK TO WEBER, HES AN RFA, if he WANTS to be here, make it happen.

Old
hockeyaddict101

The only way you offer one of the top 4 if it is guaranteed he will sign 5 years or more and it is off-season.

As the season progresses NO team will offer a star player for him.

Also sorry there is NO way in hell that the Oilers give up 4 draft picks to sign Weber to a one year offer sheet. Ain't happening. I laughed out loud at that one.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not if he is a pending ufa. No way, no how. And that is how I think it will play out. Weber will be dealt to someone, sans extension, and the Predators are going to take a bath.
Signed (Preds talk to Weber) he costs one of the big four.

Unsigned he costs a king's ransom (not a big four, but enough to REALLY hurt) and walks July 2013.

Take your pick.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
oStealthKiller

i think at the minimum it would cost the oilers this package:
Hemsky, Gagner, PRV, Petry, 2013 1st/Klefbom/Marincin, 2013/2014 2nd

only if its a sign and trade where he is signed to a 10 year deal or so though

Old
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
To be fair, 3 of those assets have never played a game (Yakupov, Klefbom, the 1st) and the other has 108 NHL games under his belt.

If your trading a superstar like Weber, they're going to want a proven NHL star back. Unless they are going full rebuild.
I just can't see any impending UFA getting that.

Old
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

When has a deal like that ever happened since the Lindros trade?

Edit: Arpeggio posted the exact same thing above, heh.
Never. But Weber is the best dman in the world and the values of players have gone up like crazy. Don't forget that all of the other teams would be calling Nashville. I don't see how the original proposal would be better than other teams imo

Old
07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
AK Dandyman

Not sure if it's been poster.

From Elliott Freidman:
Salary breakdown for Suter/Parise: $12M next two seasons, then $11M, followed by five years at $9M. Last five years are: 8, 6, 2, 1, 1.
12:38pm - 4 Jul 12

Old
07-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Never. But Weber is the best dman in the world and the values of players have gone up like crazy. Don't forget that all of the other teams would be calling Nashville. I don't see how the original proposal would be better than other teams imo
This is the part that I agree with you on. But I do think that based on the situation and historical deals the packages mentioned here are close to the value.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:56 PM
#ualberta

Wait is Weber the best d man in the world right now are we sure I know he is great but there are alot of great d men

Old
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Signed (Preds talk to Weber) he costs one of the big four.

Unsigned he costs a king's ransom (not a big four, but enough to REALLY hurt) and walks July 2013.

Take your pick.
Ok. I pick neither and sign him when he hits the open market on July 1st.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post

I personally think that Nashville is overdue for a "re-build." They've been overachieving on the strength of Weber, Suter, Rinne and Trotz's coaching for years now.

Old
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Wait is Weber the best d man in the world right now are we sure I know he is great but there are alot of great d men
Overall, yes he is.

Pietrangelo might be better in another year or two but right now it's Weber and then some separation before the likes of Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, etc.

Old
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Indeed. You just know that Poile would start the conversation by asking for Yakupov.
I doubt that Poile wants to acquire Yakupov after all the drama that Radulov has put him through.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
With Lidstrom retired he might be.

Closed Thread