HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part XI - Does Zajac have any boyhood friends we need to sign?

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

vCash: 500
Are Semin and Kovy friends? maybe they can conspire to be on the same team.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You two have me at a loss here. I was not aware of this KHL situation with him.

I was just saying he is stupid for the sake of saying he is stupid. Why? Because he *IS* Stupid.
Not talking about Avery. I am talking about Semin playing in the KHL. If Radulov gets 9 million per season I can't imagine what Semin is offered.

Old
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Seems the "sign someone, anyone!!!" blues have already kicked in.
No. Many of us were talking about Semin over a week ago. It's not some knee jerk reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Look at what we can get possibly get offensively

Ugh, so much talent. His release is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Its like Steve Bernier, Bernier was drafted high and he has the talent in him to score....just keep him motivated.
This is going wayyyy too far. Semin in his sleep is better than Bernie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Todd Cordell @ToddCordell

I contacted Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, for an update on negotiations: "All I can tell you is that Alex will sign with an NHL team"
I'm surprised that he said that. I would think that it would be a good bargaining chip to have in order to get more money out of teams. This is a good thing for us.

Old
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Forgive me for being ignorant but who is MPS?
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

Old
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
guitarguyvic

[QUOTE=fredthelen;52155501]No I do not want to troll. Certainly not...It was just hypothetical, as are all the different things being discussed here.Unless you take what some posters say here at face value (not saying it cannot be true, but I donīt want to speculate too much). Kovy signs in LA, we will hate him, some will say, let him go to that team, we are better off, he was too expensive anyways, he is just a mercenary who obviously wants nothing more but not to win the cup. Then again, had Kovy chosen LA, he would have made the decision to leave us and go to a winner instead. Because, quite frankly, I love this team, I just donīt consider this team a winning franchise anymore, regardless of that fantastic season last year.[/QUOTE]

On what grounds would you consider this team not a winning franchise anymore? One missed playoffs in a decade??

Man some of the things that get posted on this board...

Old
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
leftwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer 44 View Post
Do not want a 35 year old brian gionta. I will be fine with his brother. Semin has this lazy mistique and that turns me off but he certainly has one of the best wrist shots in the game. PERIOD. He might do well with Kovy, but he isnt doing too well with Ovie so I don't know. Doan is a trooper and a good leader. But he is old, he would just be a stop gap. Nash ehhh wants too much and just don't think he is all that good.

NJ doesn't have too many options now. Nor the assets to make an awesome deal.
Agreed. Here's a shopping list for a 'keep the powder dry' strategy.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2

The goal for 2012/13 should be to have a clear path to the playoffs (5/6th place) around trade deadline with lots of cap space.

We get two bites at some great assets then...players looking to exit non-playoff teams and the UFA market in 2013. Think longer term, beyond just next year. There is a great opportunity cooking and it's been a while since we have been in a place with alot of cap and good flexibility to make decisions on our top lines.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
fredthelen

Quote:
Didn't this team go to the playoffs for 15 straight years prior to the debacle of 2010? I don't think you can say we aren't a winning franchise anymore when we have that kind of success and got right back to the playoffs this year AND got to the finals.
Well, I guess it s a question of defintion then. Of course, if we take the last 15 20 years, we are still one of the best 3 4 franchises. Of course, making the playoffs 15 straight times is a sensational record. But also, since we won the last cup, how many playoff rounds did we win? This is a team who has choked an awful lot in 1st or 2nd rounds despite sometimes being the better team on paper.

Also, I would not call the future of this hockey club that great (BUT I have to admit not knowing an awful lot of our prospects, so forgive me, if there are more then 1 2 very very promising players in the pipeline)...Elias can still play, but he is way beyond his prime...other guys are rather old as well...Letīs not forget about our two goalies. Losing Parise is such a blow, unless if we can somehow find a replacement for him in the top 6 via FA or trades.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Not talking about Avery. I am talking about Semin playing in the KHL. If Radulov gets 9 million per season I can't imagine what Semin is offered.
Oh okay! Yeah you're right. Semin would probably get offered an entire franchise over there.

But I think he prefers the NHL(I hope)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
Yeesh....

No wonder people refer to him as MPS.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
No. Many of us were talking about Semin over a week ago. It's not some knee jerk reaction.

Ugh, so much talent. His release is insane.

This is going wayyyy too far. Semin in his sleep is better than Bernie.

I'm surprised that he said that. I would think that it would be a good bargaining chip to have in order to get more money out of teams. This is a good thing for us.
Or he knows he doesn't need the KHL hammer since they already got loopy offers...

Old
07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
fredthelen

[QUOTE=guitarguyvic;52156101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredthelen View Post
No I do not want to troll. Certainly not...It was just hypothetical, as are all the different things being discussed here.Unless you take what some posters say here at face value (not saying it cannot be true, but I donīt want to speculate too much). Kovy signs in LA, we will hate him, some will say, let him go to that team, we are better off, he was too expensive anyways, he is just a mercenary who obviously wants nothing more but not to win the cup. Then again, had Kovy chosen LA, he would have made the decision to leave us and go to a winner instead. Because, quite frankly, I love this team, I just donīt consider this team a winning franchise anymore, regardless of that fantastic season last year.[/QUOTE]

On what grounds would you consider this team not a winning franchise anymore? One missed playoffs in a decade??

Man some of the things that get posted on this board...
Well, this team is a winning franchise in the sense that it will go to the playoffs again more often than not in the next years...But I apply almost the Lou Lamoriello definition of winning....and just making the playoffs wonīt do (nothing to do with what happened 2 years ago...that was all Johnny Mac)

Old
07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
I would like to see a Zidlicky - Larsson at the point with Kovy - Semin - Elias
So...did you just completely forget that Kovalchuk plays the point, and Semin is a winger and doesn't stand in front of the net?

Old
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
dpedan2

Quote:
I would like to see a Zidlicky - Larsson at the point with Kovy - Semin - Elias
I can see that too. Or park clarkson/zubrus in front of the goalie while kovy and semin fire bombs from the circles.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Well, I guess it s a question of defintion then. Of course, if we take the last 15 20 years, we are still one of the best 3 4 franchises. Of course, making the playoffs 15 straight times is a sensational record. But also, since we won the last cup, how many playoff rounds did we win? This is a team who has choked an awful lot in 1st or 2nd rounds despite sometimes being the better team on paper.

Also, I would not call the future of this hockey club that great (BUT I have to admit not knowing an awful lot of our prospects, so forgive me, if there are more then 1 2 very very promising players in the pipeline)...Elias can still play, but he is way beyond his prime...other guys are rather old as well...Letīs not forget about our two goalies. Losing Parise is such a blow, unless if we can somehow find a replacement for him in the top 6 via FA or trades.
You're right. Choking a lot in the 1st and 2nd rounds sucked BUT the Team was IN THE PLAYOFFS meaning that the team WON games(a lot of them) in the regular season to get to that point. Therefore, they are a winning franchise. While I would love to have Cups every year, you really shouldn't judge a franchise by the number of cups they've won but rather by the amount of success overall they've had. Not just now but in the past and in the future.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
So...did you just completely forget that Kovalchuk plays the point, and Semin is a winger and doesn't stand in front of the net?
Yeah but most people want Kovy off the point...

Old
apice3*

Kovy - Zajac - Zubrus
Elias - Henrique - ???
Tedenby - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Kind of funny, Semin's offensive ability kind of fits into the lineup like a glove. Just not a fan of his for anything longer than a year. MAYBE 2.

Old
guitarguyvic

Quote:

You admittedly don't know much about our prospects yet you are asserting that our future does not look bright? That makes no sense.

Critics have been saying for years that the Devils' future is questionable. Yet somehow we manage to be competitive year in and year out. And somehow we always have guys that fly under the radar (either prospects or aquisitions) who step up and become good or great players.

Call me when we stop making the playoffs 9 out of every 10 years.

Old
Tundra

Semin has many reasons to come to New Jersey:

(1) Icetime, especially with the recent departure of one Zach Pariah. He's guaranteed 20+ minutes a night in a variety of assignments.
(2) the Kovalchuk factor. Your fellow countryman and friend is waiting.
(3) Money. We have cap room to give him at least 6 million for 3 to 4 years.
(4) The devils sterling repuation among Russians. Fetisov, Kasatonov, Mogilny, Bryllin,etc. They know the devils are the gold standard in the league if you want professionalism and the hardware.
(5) Location. NYC is a hop, skip and jump away. Also, don't forget about that direct flight to Moscow.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Did you just completely forget Kovy is awful on the point?

Did you just completely forget we had wingers lining up at center for the PP last year?

Did you just completely forget our PP centers last year weren't used as screens but shooters in the slot?

Don't be nasty about a good suggestion.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Yeah but most people want Kovy off the point...
And yet we all know that won't happen

Old
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Look can we all agree having Semin on this team would be a great consolation prize for losing out on he who shall not be named? I think the biggest thing I'd be worried about is the urge to release my childish sense of humor on the boards if he does sign here. But I already saw what happened earlier here so I have to be careful

Old
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Did you just completely forget Kovy is awful on the point?

Did you just completely forget we had wingers lining up at center for the PP last year?

Did you just completely forget our PP centers last year weren't used as screens but shooters in the slot?

Don't be nasty about a good suggestion.
What wingers? Clarkson and Parise?

Did you forget that Alex Semin is a Sniper?

Did you forget that he doesn't work in dirty areas?

its not a good suggestion because it won't happen.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
martyisgod

Id like semin just for the fact he play the drums on Staals head

Old
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
fredthelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
You admittedly don't know much about our prospects yet you are asserting that our future does not look bright? That makes no sense.

Critics have been saying for years that the Devils' future is questionable. Yet somehow we manage to be competitive year in and year out. And somehow we always have guys that fly under the radar (either prospects or aquisitions) who step up and become good or great players.

Call me when we stop making the playoffs 9 out of every 10 years.
First to Glenwo....like I said, if "winning franchise" means getting to the playoffs but no further, ok, then I take back my words. Sure, you cannot win it all all the time. Still, like you yourself said, we have to be a bit more consistent in the playoffs.

And I admitted not knowing much about our prospects, bar 2 3. But I know that we do not have 5 6 studs coming up anytime soon. I just go by the logic that most of our great players are getting older and older and by definition less strong, slower etc.That is why I just donīt think we will have that great a future, but htat is my opinion...I am perhaps more pessimistic than you guys

Old
07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Semin has many reasons to come to New Jersey:

(1) Icetime, especially with the recent departure of one Zach Pariah. He's guaranteed 20+ minutes a night in a variety of assignments.
(2) the Kovalchuk factor. Your fellow countryman and friend is waiting.
(3) Money. We have cap room to give him at least 6 million for 3 to 4 years.
(4) The devils sterling repuation among Russians. Fetisov, Kasatonov, Mogilny, Bryllin,etc. They know the devils are the gold standard in the league if you want professionalism and the hardware.
(5) Location. NYC is a hop, skip and jump away. Also, don't forget about that direct flight to Moscow.
I can see why we'd be an attractive destination for Semin, but I think the bigger question is whether Lou wants him here.

Lou has said that if he hadn't traded for Kovy first, and gotten to know him as a player and as a person, he would not have given him his lifetime deal in free agency as an outside team. He had to do the due diligence of seeing how he fit first. Obviously, we can't do that with Semin. Are we willing to take a risk on him without it?

Old
07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
apice3*

Quote:
What wingers? Clarkson and Parise?

Did you forget that Alex Semin is a Sniper?

Did you forget that he doesn't work in dirty areas?

its not a good suggestion because it won't happen.
Bro what are you talking about?

Clarkson played center on PP's when Zajac was hurt. Often he would take the faceoff and when it set up, he was in the high slot waiting to rip a one timer when Parise crashed the net.

Our centers weren't the ones doing dirty work on the PP. That was Parise, Elias, and Zidlicky when he pinched.

Closed Thread