HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 New York Islanders Lineup/Roster Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 11:11 AM
majormet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Gonna be some real battles next year. Boulton, Martin and Carkner are pretty good guys to have in the toughness department. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of more (aside from Gallant and maybe DeFazio) added on the farm.

Gonna be a terribly difficult division next year with us and Jersey looking like the initial bottom-feeders.
I think the Isles and Devils will be much better and see a decline in Philly and a letdown for the Rangers.

For some reason the Isles mirror the Mets, both teams have been pretty awful for a few years and are built the same way. I have a similar feeling about the Islanders for no explicable reason that I do with the Mets. They are going to surprise this year.

I think the 5 keys are simple

1) Nabokov, like it or not he is the most important part of the team this year, if he goes down there is no other option and if he plays like he did at stretches during the 2011/12 season it will be like having RA Dickey pitch every day

2) Moulson/JT - Moulson should get 40 goals this year and JT should get 90 points.

3) Streit, Okposo and AMac - all 3 should be back to normal after coming off surgeries the prior season. Expect 25% better production from all 3 guys.

4) Josh Bailey - for the Isles to succeed this year, he has to be a top 6 forward, he has yet been able to show this.

5) November - if the Isles fall a few games under .500 by November, Capuano has to be fired.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Macch

I know a lot of people are down on Grabner but I still think you have to give him top 6 minutes. The Islanders have the talent to have 2 scoring lines, and 2 grinding lines.

IMO the top 2 lines NEED to consist of JT, MM, KO, Bailey, and Grabner. Frans and Boyes should fight it out for the last spot. I dont think Boyes is a lock to play on JT's RW. I think there is a chance he can be the 2nd line center. Ideally we'd want Frans as the 3rd line center but if Boyes isnt cutting it, than I would swap them.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I know a lot of people are down on Grabner but I still think you have to give him top 6 minutes. The Islanders have the talent to have 2 scoring lines, and 2 grinding lines.

IMO the top 2 lines NEED to consist of JT, MM, KO, Bailey, and Grabner. Frans and Boyes should fight it out for the last spot. I dont think Boyes is a lock to play on JT's RW. I think there is a chance he can be the 2nd line center. Ideally we'd want Frans as the 3rd line center but if Boyes isnt cutting it, than I would swap them.
I don't think Boyes between Grabner and Bailey is a good idea. I foresee a lot of running around.

We really need a 2C. It rounds out our forward corps. It makes our top 6 JT, MM, KO, JB, MG, XX and it knocks everyone down. Without it, we having Frans playing 2C instead of 3C and one or more kids playing in the NHL instead of elsewhere (Cizikas, Strome, Nino). It is such an important acquisition.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
19 in a row

Staples shot at the lineup. He doesn't think there will be any more big moves.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

So this is pretty well the team that will go to camp on Sept. 21. Here's what I could see as the forward lines and D pairs heading into that date:

Matt Moulson-John Tavares-Brad Boyes

Josh Bailey-Frans Nielsen-Kyle Okposo

Michael Grabner-Casey Cizikas-David Ullstrom

Matt Martin-Marty Reasoner-Jesse Joensuu/Eric Boulton

Mark Streit-Travis Hamonic

Andrew MacDonald-Lubomir Visnovsky

Aaron Ness-Matt Carkner

Evgeni Nabokov

Rick DiPietro

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post

So this is pretty well the team that will go to camp on Sept. 21. Here's what I could see as the forward lines and D pairs heading into that date:

Aaron Ness-Matt Carkner

Evgeni Nabokov

Rick DiPietro

Came here to post the same thing.

Very interesting he thinks Ness will be the young D to make the team.

Hard to argue with anything else. Still think Grabner needs to get top 6 minutes though. How thats done? I'm not so sure

Old
07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Came here to post the same thing.

Very interesting he thinks Ness will be the young D to make the team.

Hard to argue with anything else. Still think Grabner needs to get top 6 minutes though. How thats done? I'm not so sure
From the comments in the article, he seems to think that Grabner is the one who really doesnt fit in, so has him as a third liner. He mentions how well Bailey, Frans and KO worked together. I kind of agree with this for now, and wouldn't mind packaging Grabner if we did make some sort of deal. Also that Nino and Strome should be in the AHL (from your lips to God's ears).

On the D, he mentioned that the Isles may want to split up the vets on the top two pairs and that they can both play the right side. Also that the 7th D spot won't get filled until camp(why do I still get the feeling we may see two of Donovan/Dehann/Ness on that opening day roster rather than another vet).

I was kind of surprised he had DP as the backup, contract or no he has had his chances and I would like to think that he needs to work his way back up and show he can stay healthy and productive (ok so stating the obvious).

Last edited by 19 in a row: 07-06-2012 at 03:59 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Aaron Ness-Matt Carkner

Evgeni Nabokov

Rick DiPietro
His offensive lines are exactly the same as mine, defense is different though. I prefer Donovan/DeHaan to be the 5th defenseman. You can't move them in the top 4 imo because you will have 2 offensive defenseman on the same line, maybe thats why they rather keep Ness as the #5 and let Donovan/DeHaan develop in the AHL.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 07-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.
19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
His offensive lines are exactly the same as me, defense is different though. I prefer Donovan/DeHaan to be the 5th defenseman. You can't move them in the top 4 imo because you will have 2 offensive defenseman on the same line, maybe thats why they rather keep Ness as the #5 and let Donovan/DeHaan develop in the AHL.

According to Staple the coaches seem to think Ness is the most ready out of the 3.

It's not preferred but Frans on the second line isnt that awful when you compare him to the rest of the division's 2nd line centers. Plus he's good defensively.

It doesnt seem like Grabner fits in anywhere which is crazy. Depending on how the chemistry works out I can see Cizikis and Frans being flipped a couple of times this season.

Grabner - Frans - Ullstrom would be a great skating line. Just don't know if Cizikis can be effective enough to play with KO and Bailey.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:

Aaron Ness-Matt Carkner

Evgeni Nabokov

Rick DiPietro
That line intrigues me.

Let's also remember that Bailey is playing for a contract also. Hopefully that's good motivation for him.

07-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Islanderfan17

Honestly, I like this years roster going into the season better than last season. Last season it was painfully obvious to me that we needed to insert some young and hungry players into the line up rather than our washed up veterans, and it took them til' the end of the season to do so. The line up we have now, whilst being far from talented compared to other teams, will be a very hard working one. Having Cizikas and Ullstrom in the line up all season long will help, plus our D is probably better than it has been in years with the addition of Visnovsky and Carkner. I think this years roster will have a lot of elements that last years didn't, last years squad felt very bland and didn't really have anything special about it aside from the Tavares line.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

i don't know if a really good defensive defenceman would be considered major, but i sure would like to see another added to the roster.

goals against is where we can really improve, without spending alot...

not sure if just a different defensive system would be appropriate, but i think that some kind of Hamonic/Carkner hybrid would really help.

is there a genetic scientist on the payroll? anyone know a good one?

anyone think that Reinhart has the goods to be # 7? is he strong enough to be a decent crease clearer? he has the size. i wonder how he would look beside Carkner...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i don't know if a really good defensive defenceman would be considered major, but i sure would like to see another added to the roster.

goals against is where we can really improve, without spending alot...

not sure if just a different defensive system would be appropriate, but i think that some kind of Hamonic/Carkner hybrid would really help.

is there a genetic scientist on the payroll? anyone know a good one?

anyone think that Reinhart has the goods to be # 7? is he strong enough to be a decent crease clearer? he has the size. i wonder how he would look beside Carkner...
No way they would put Reinhart as the #7 defenseman. You don't put your best defensive prospect as a #7, you need him to develop. A #7 defenseman is just for depth like Reese was last year. I could see Wishart being the 7th defenseman.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 07-07-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hipster Doofus

I see:

5 on 5
Moulson-Tavares-Okposo (Okposo is our best RH shot overall)
Grabner-Nielsen-xxx
Bailey-Cizikas-Boyes
Martin-Reasoner-JJ

EX: Boulton

D the same but I give Donovan and DeHaan a shot to beat out Ness.

Goalies, lol DP.

On the PP is where I see Boyes playing with Tavares. And Boyes presence as a veteran will be good with Bailey and Cizikas. Both can skate and make plays. Cizikas is a strong defensive plauyer and adapts fast. Bailey is good defensive player. Boyes would be covered up 5 on 5 like Kozlov was by not being exposed to elite players. Against lesser comp and with less minutes he's not a liability defensively. Not that Boyes is bad defensively, but he's not as good as Okposo. I also like having three guys who can center out at once especially considering its a bit more offensively oriented and would get the offensive zone starts the Tavares line doesn't get.

Nielsen and Grabner would be their defensive zone start line (Tavares line would also get some starts as Tavares showed himself to be a more than cpaable defneisve player and Okposo too can backcheck). Basically Sillinger line part deux except Grabner is better than Hilbert. Any one of the big wingers we have could take this spot. This will be like the D competition in many ways. And if the Isles can make a move for a winger Okposo slots down nicely.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:

Aaron Ness-Matt Carkner

Evgeni Nabokov

Rick DiPietro
My only "question" is with Grabner but, with Grabner, I wonder if his main contribution will be short-handed with Neilsen and using that speed as a main scoring weapon. I think the way Staple has it is pretty accurate barring a trade or another acquisition.

I would not mind adding a second line center a guy like Arnott or Moore could be interesting to me. Id prefer Arnott because he can bring some real size and is coming off of a solid season. He'd be a nice veteran addition to the forward corps.

With Arnott....I think I would be....

Josh Bailey-Jason Arnott-Kyle Okposo

Michael Grabner-Frans Nielsen-David Ullstrom

Matt Martin-Casey Cizikas-Jesse Joensuu/Eric Boulton

I would likely deal/waive Marty Reasoner.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:43 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
My only "question" is with Grabner but, with Grabner, I wonder if his main contribution will be short-handed with Neilsen and using that speed as a main scoring weapon. I think the way Staple has it is pretty accurate barring a trade or another acquisition.

I would not mind adding a second line center a guy like Arnott or Moore could be interesting to me. Id prefer Arnott because he can bring some real size and is coming off of a solid season. He'd be a nice veteran addition to the forward corps.

With Arnott....I think I would be....

Josh Bailey-Jason Arnott-Kyle Okposo

Michael Grabner-Frans Nielsen-David Ullstrom

Matt Martin-Casey Cizikas-Jesse Joensuu/Eric Boulton

I would likely deal/waive Marty Reasoner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0...eature=related

Old
07-08-2012, 02:31 PM
ninetynine*

Coming in peace, just reminding you guys that you still need to reach the cap floor.

Floor: $54.2 million

Current Islanders: $47,772,333

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Coming in peace, just reminding you guys that you still need to reach the cap floor.

Floor: $54.2 million

Current Islanders: $47,772,333
Could well change with the next CBA.

Would have to think that Wang is pretty much counting on it.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Could well change with the next CBA.

Would have to think that Wang is pretty much counting on it.
Very true, so am I, but can't be sure.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
JerseyJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Honestly, I like this years roster going into the season better than last season. Last season it was painfully obvious to me that we needed to insert some young and hungry players into the line up rather than our washed up veterans, and it took them til' the end of the season to do so. The line up we have now, whilst being far from talented compared to other teams, will be a very hard working one. Having Cizikas and Ullstrom in the line up all season long will help, plus our D is probably better than it has been in years with the addition of Visnovsky and Carkner. I think this years roster will have a lot of elements that last years didn't, last years squad felt very bland and didn't really have anything special about it aside from the Tavares line.

THAT'S LAST YEAR STARTERS in OCT 2011

MM John Tavares PA
Bailey Frans KO
Comeau Rolston Grabner
MM Reasoner Pandolfo

Mark Streit HAmmer
Milan Jurcina Andrew MacDonald
Mark Eaton Steve Staios

Evgeni Nabokov
Al Montoya

IR Mike Mottau
Rick DiPietro
THIS YEAR'S LINE UP 2012
MM JT KO
Bailey Frans Grabner
Nino Cizsak Boyes
Martin Reasoner Boulton

Streit Hammer
A Mac Lubo
Ness/Donavan M Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson
Lets get it on NHL, we might be better then we all think???

JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post

MM John Tavares PA
Bailey Frans KO
Comeau Rolston Grabner
MM Reasoner Pandolfo

Mark Streit HAmmer
Mark Eaton Steve Staios

Evgeni Nabokov
Al Montoya

IR Mike Mottau
Rick DiPietro
THIS YEAR'S LINE UP 2012
MM JT KO
Bailey Frans Grabner
Nino Cizsak Boyes
Martin Reasoner Boulton

Streit Hammer
A Mac Lubo
Ness/Donavan M Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson
I don't think that line would work well together. Also, Grabner plays LW, not RW. He is better on the left side for the homerun pass, since it wouldn't be on his backhand.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:57 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
In Garth I Trust

No more Reasoner please. He brings nothing to the table. Neither does the Boulton signing.

Also, if we do need to get to the floor still and the CBA doesn't change that, what the hell are we going to do? Overpay some free agents left out there?

Looking at that lineup gives me glimmers of hope for the future, but then also makes me ill at places that could easily be improved if our team was willing to spend money. Gotta have some talent along with the young and upcoming.

Maybe my Islanders fanship is the reason I want Tokarski starting for the Bolts, I'm used to seeing younger players play very quickly. And Tokarski proved himself more than some Isles players we've put in there becasue, let's be honest, why would you spend any moeny to put players on the NHL team and let guys develop in the AHL?

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe View Post

MM John Tavares PA
Bailey Frans KO
Comeau Rolston Grabner
MM Reasoner Pandolfo

Mark Streit HAmmer
Mark Eaton Steve Staios

Evgeni Nabokov
Al Montoya

IR Mike Mottau
Rick DiPietro
THIS YEAR'S LINE UP 2012
MM JT KO
Bailey Frans Grabner
Nino Cizsak Boyes
Martin Reasoner Boulton

Streit Hammer
A Mac Lubo
Ness/Donavan M Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin/Nilsson

I know its easy to look at the forward group and say its the same. But looking at the D, thats a big change and you would have to think a lot of good by addition of Vis, Carkner, and which ever of Ness/Donovan/de Haan make the team. But getting rid of Eaton, Mottau and Staois should be a huge boost. Jurcina didnt really bother me that much be he was nothing more than a bottom pairing D.

We'll be able to see the difference depending on how often the Isles are stuck in their own zone.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
JerseyJoe

Quote:
I know its easy to look at the forward group and say its the same. But looking at the D, thats a big change and you would have to think a lot of good by addition of Vis, Carkner, and which ever of Ness/Donovan/de Haan make the team. But getting rid of Eaton, Mottau and Staois should be a huge boost. Jurcina didnt really bother me that much be he was nothing more than a bottom pairing D.

We'll be able to see the difference depending on how often the Isles are stuck in their own zone.
Yes, that is true. We do look faster and solid on D.
Now we wait and see, when the puck is in the zone how they handle it,
Those 4 dman just didnt want to do anything.
Ands that show by their plus/minus all being -15 or more...

JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
No more Reasoner please. He brings nothing to the table. Neither does the Boulton signing.

Also, if we do need to get to the floor still and the CBA doesn't change that, what the hell are we going to do? Overpay some free agents left out there?

Looking at that lineup gives me glimmers of hope for the future, but then also makes me ill at places that could easily be improved if our team was willing to spend money. Gotta have some talent along with the young and upcoming.

Maybe my Islanders fanship is the reason I want Tokarski starting for the Bolts, I'm used to seeing younger players play very quickly. And Tokarski proved himself more than some Isles players we've put in there becasue, let's be honest, why would you spend any moeny to put players on the NHL team and let guys develop in the AHL?
I would Keep reasoner as our fourth line center even if it only keeps Cizikas as our third line center or in Bridgeport!

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
ziggy7716

I think Kabanov may get a long look to make the team this year. Out of him Strome and Niederreiter I think KK has the best chance of making the team.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote