HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless Thread II

Old
04-01-2013, 04:21 PM
southpaw24

vCash: 500
So im sort-of jobless at the moment dont really know whats going on really. Im a gas fitter started at the place last june. Liked the guys I worked with and got a long really well with everyone did my job just fine, was always at the shop 10-15 minutes before everyone else etc....

Anyways things were slowing down for the season around christmas and was laid off on the 23rd of Dec, came back for a few days a week from January-March kept in good contact with the boss and even had a few days where they called me late 7:30AM (we start at 7:45) and ask me to come in and always dropped what i was doing and came.

So today I called the boss to see what the week was looking like for work and he said it was still really slow and probably wouldnt be needed this week. So i said Okay well if something comes up just give me a shout.

About half hour after I was talking to him, i was texting my buddy thats still working and he said that a new guy started today. Now Im pretty confused as to why they would hire on a new guy when things are so slow. I should mention that there was another guy that got laid off at the same time i did back in december but he was never called back.

So basically im pissed off and confused. Im thinking about applying for another job but really dont want to have to and i liked the place/people i was working with. i dunno just needed a place to vent i guess

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
So im sort-of jobless at the moment dont really know whats going on really. Im a gas fitter started at the place last june. Liked the guys I worked with and got a long really well with everyone did my job just fine, was always at the shop 10-15 minutes before everyone else etc....

Anyways things were slowing down for the season around christmas and was laid off on the 23rd of Dec, came back for a few days a week from January-March kept in good contact with the boss and even had a few days where they called me late 7:30AM (we start at 7:45) and ask me to come in and always dropped what i was doing and came.

So today I called the boss to see what the week was looking like for work and he said it was still really slow and probably wouldnt be needed this week. So i said Okay well if something comes up just give me a shout.

About half hour after I was talking to him, i was texting my buddy thats still working and he said that a new guy started today. Now Im pretty confused as to why they would hire on a new guy when things are so slow. I should mention that there was another guy that got laid off at the same time i did back in december but he was never called back.

So basically im pissed off and confused. Im thinking about applying for another job but really dont want to have to and i liked the place/people i was working with. i dunno just needed a place to vent i guess
That's crappy news man, hopefully things work out with this company. If they don't want you, then take your skills and services to a company that will appreciate your hard work! You're a gas fitter man, finding a good job shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck to ya!

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I quit my job in October for personal reasons, but it ended up letting me focus on school. Now I'm at a respectable, well known institution with a 4.0 (Public Accounting/Finance) hoping to find a sponsor for the CPA exam after graduation. I can't even get an unpaid internship. I really don't know who is filling or if these positions are being filled, but I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and becoming a cop or something. I get the feeling I'm wildly wasting my time.

Graduation is set for a year from now, if I don't have internship experience this summer next summer will certainly be painful. This is the world we live in.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
southpaw24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I quit my job in October for personal reasons, but it ended up letting me focus on school. Now I'm at a respectable, well known institution with a 4.0 (Public Accounting/Finance) hoping to find a sponsor for the CPA exam after graduation. I can't even get an unpaid internship. I really don't know who is filling or if these positions are being filled, but I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and becoming a cop or something. I get the feeling I'm wildly wasting my time.

Graduation is set for a year from now, if I don't have internship experience this summer next summer will certainly be painful. This is the world we live in.
Sort of sounds like my wife. She has a college certificate be a guard in jail.(two year course) then she has a honors degree in criminology and public policy(4years) and she's gone back for a 1 year course in Addictions counseling and therapy.

And even with all that schooling shes always had trouble finding a job. And she needs a internship to finish the course and is having trouble finding one there too.

At least here in Canada it seems like many of the jobs that most people (10-15 years ago) that wouldve been easier to find are getting either filled by immigrants coming to canada, being outsourced overseas or being terminated completely terminated.

In all honesty the skilled trades are the way to go IMO.

Anyways got a little away from your post. Good luck to ya in finding something

Old
04-05-2013, 06:28 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:

that is where I was at when I was in College, I was a process technology major and pretty much if you didn't get in the apprenticeship you were out of luck. But with my degree I could also take lesser jobs and work my way up from there. Only bad part is that there are so many graduates in the program that 1 job could have 500 people applying to it.

I did get a job interview on monday for a maintenance technician I'm pretty confident I can nail the interview and get the job. There is nothing that is a huge red flag that would say don't hire this guy. It's an entry level job so with my degree I hope that it puts me on top.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:

You'll be fine, just get that internship

Because it becomes a lot harder to get them out of school, and you need that work exp

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:22 AM
msrulo

So I'm 19 at the moment. What do I need to do to get a good paying job? I'm jobless . I need to provide to my family. I'm working for a GED right now, and I skipped high school. Any advice from the wise?

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:05 AM
southpaw24

My advice when you get your GED is to get into some kind of skilled or specialized training. Too many people these days think that general courses like business will assure them jobs afterwards. Its not gonna happen. Demand for skilled/specialized workers is getting higher and higher

Old
04-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
My advice when you get your GED is to get into some kind of skilled or specialized training. Too many people these days think that general courses like business will assure them jobs afterwards. Its not gonna happen. Demand for skilled/specialized workers is getting higher and higher
Yep, this guy speaks the truth. Pick a good trade where you go to school for only 6 weeks at a time, then work until you get your hours and keep progressing till you get that red seal.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:58 PM
msrulo

Thanks guys

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Kyle93
call me blastoise

Just finished my first year of uni. Have no job or school atm, I look forward to job hunting......NAWT

Kyle93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:57 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
You'll be fine, just get that internship

Because it becomes a lot harder to get them out of school, and you need that work exp
I'm hoping come the fall I get accepted to a consulting program (companies give the university projects they can't, or won't do, and a select group of students/professors work on it). Luckily I have 3/4 internship experiences from undergrad, and work experience from before grad school. But you're right, a fresh internship would be key.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Anyone have any experience as a loan officer? I might have an in on a position. The guy described it as a sales position, but it also has a solid starting salary, especially for a entry level position. I wanted to avoid sales positions, but if my salary isnt strongly based off of sales performance, I might be alright with it. Any insights?

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:48 PM
LifeIsLoud

Advice needed please.

My current employer has decided to give me part of someone else's duties (they're retiring). I have no idea if this if permanent or temporary until they hire someone else (if they hire someone?). I haven't discussed this yet with my manager.

My problem is these extra duties provoke my (severe) anxiety disorder. They do not know I suffer from anxiety as it's none of their business. Do I tell them? Or should I start looking for another job?

LifeIsLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

^Ask your boss about it, and do not wait for his answer about the disorder, he may think it is an excuse. Your boss should be understanding of it, and you could probably sue for some harassment if he starts to $h** talk about it so there are no ways it can go wrong.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:52 AM
LifeIsLoud

One thing I forgot to mention is that during absences and being short staffed I've filled in on these duties despite how awful it made me feel. This is an entry level position I've has a 1.5 years so really I was willing to keep my mouth shut and do anything to get/keep the job. But now that it's looking like it might be permanent, I can't perform these duties as they're detrimental to my psyche.

LifeIsLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Zappy

vCash: 50
I was let go from my job about a month ago. Bunch of ******** there. Never working for a major corporation again.

I am a week away from getting my Real Estate Salespersons license - that will be my future. But for now, just need a steady income.

Word of advice: Don't overwork yourself for a place that most likely won't pay you for it (whether it be in a monetary or promotional form) - they don't care about you.

Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I'm trying to find a part time job, but i haven't finished my courses (programming) so it's going to be impossible to find any work in that vein. I'm perfectly willing to take pretty well any job I can but it seems like no matter how many resumes I hand in I never actually get a call back or start working. I need to pay for my programs...any tips?

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Sort of sounds like my wife. She has a college certificate be a guard in jail.(two year course) then she has a honors degree in criminology and public policy(4years) and she's gone back for a 1 year course in Addictions counseling and therapy.

And even with all that schooling shes always had trouble finding a job. And she needs a internship to finish the course and is having trouble finding one there too.

At least here in Canada it seems like many of the jobs that most people (10-15 years ago) that wouldve been easier to find are getting either filled by immigrants coming to canada, being outsourced overseas or being terminated completely terminated.

In all honesty the skilled trades are the way to go IMO.

Anyways got a little away from your post. Good luck to ya in finding something
It is the way to go. I spent a total of 10 years in University working on two degrees and one masters. In the year since I've finished I've been working at an office job that could be filled by any moron who can point and click. All while earning the amount of money that qualifies me for low income housing.

Applying non-stop to other things a year straight, got one interview.

All my friends that just went to trades or work right out of high school are owning houses and cars while I rent a piece of **** apartment and ride the bus. They take vacations, my vacation this year is a week at home playing video games because I can't afford to do anything else.

University is a joke and a waste of time.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
It is the way to go. I spent a total of 10 years in University working on two degrees and one masters. In the year since I've finished I've been working at an office job that could be filled by any moron who can point and click. All while earning the amount of money that qualifies me for low income housing.

Applying non-stop to other things a year straight, got one interview.

All my friends that just went to trades or work right out of high school are owning houses and cars while I rent a piece of **** apartment and ride the bus. They take vacations, my vacation this year is a week at home playing video games because I can't afford to do anything else.

University is a joke and a waste of time.
Man, I've heard this too many times and it sucks that you have had to struggle for so long. I hope things pick up for ya. I don't think university is a joke by any means, but getting bachelors in English Lit or Political Science is really not all that useful in finding a meaningful job or career...

My fiance is 27, and very smart. She has a bachelors in Political Science and a Masters in Professional Communications. Even with getting awards for her masters thesis, she had a hard time finding a good job. Back when we were in Vancouver, she was making $47K a year, and now that she's in Calgary she's at $65K a year.
Before she had her masters she made less than 37K.

I work with many different types of tradesmen here in Northern Alberta and almost all of the guys I work with make over a 100 grand a year, some over 200, and some even over 300.
These guys work lots during the summer months and take most of the winters off...

You're obviously very educated, and I hope your luck turns around.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
That's exactly it, I keep wanting to make things work with a good career in what I want to do but when I see other guys bringing in 150,000 a year easy, while I'm trying to raise a son it makes me want to give up every day. Luckily he's a baby right now and doesn't need much but I want him to have every opportunity I did growing up and actually be proud of his dad. I have a few years to figure this out before that.

Starting salary to be a train conductor is $85,000 in Edmonton and always open to take people. I can up and quit my job and more than double my salary in one move. But what was the point of all this if I do that? Maybe if I had the option of moving up at CN in the corporate one day, but I would probably pigeon hole myself to riding rails until I'm 65.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Teemu

Things are warming up again and I have a tough choice. I've been offered two internships, and I don't think that I could perform both. One is unpaid, but excellent experience. The other is OK experience, but paid. I'm not in dire financial straits right now, so I think I'm going to have to turn down the paid internships. Famous last words?

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

I have 3 years experience with a marketing company and pretty much all of the promotions/contracts that come up aren't interested in me or just suck How does one have difficulty finding work in ALBERTA?

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:51 PM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
Been interning for 2 weeks now. Is awesome. Don't feel like a lazy student anymore.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:24 AM
N o o d l e s

Just graduated with an English degree, but am currently jobless. I've been job hunting my ass off, but haven't got anything yet. Is anyone else in this thread an english major or familiar with the job seeking process for english majors? Right now I'm already stressed, and it's only a week this Saturday since graduation. Something tells me it's goign to be a rough road finding a job, student loans are about to start hitting soon, lol.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote