HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless Thread II

Old
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
The cover letter is an outdated theory. I never use one, and still get great feedback.

Quote:
Consider the following: For his book "Unbeatable Résumés: America's Top Recruiter Reveals What REALLY Gets You Hired," author Tony Beshara asked hiring authorities from a variety of disciplines the question "How important is a cover letter when you are receiving résumés?" Of the more than 3,000 respondents, 86 percent said "not very important."

So if only 14 percent of the people seeing your résumé consider a cover letter important, is it worth doing?
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/08...-old-standard/

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Leaving my job in three weeks.

Someone at the college said that they'd get in touch with their business contacts to try and get me a job but I've not heard from him since, even sent him an e-mail.

Going to send out e-mails to job places as well and go in and hand in CV's too. Here's hoping.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Usually I say "To Whom It May Concern" when something like that arises.

Actually, I just got my resume submitted to the HR department on this one company this morning. I talked to a guy last night, got my resume edited for the job and sent it back in and this morning it was submitted. Hopefully good things come of it.
But you still have toe address it to a company directly. Its a letter.

Either way, I dont care, if they cant put their company name, they dont deserve my info. * them.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I just got my BS and my overall GPA was 2.841, and my major GPA was 2.939. Should I include it in my resume? I've heard if it's below 3.0 you just shouldn't include it. Should I just list my unrounded major GPA?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I just got my BS and my overall GPA was 2.841, and my major GPA was 2.939. Should I include it in my resume? I've heard if it's below 3.0 you just shouldn't include it. Should I just list my unrounded major GPA?
I wouldn't list it.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

So I have a friend working at this place and he mentioned my name to his boss... The company flew me up for an interview the other day, and even though I'm not really interested in moving jobs right now, the offer I got was pretty nice..

A 27% increase in BASE salary, outstanding benefits, a choice of a "signing bonus," one is a cash amount the other has to do with mortgage incentives (outstanding ones, if I may add). I can also work as much OT has I want.

Only issue is I don't have the opportunity to move up as quick, as my current job. This other position is also in Fort McMurray, somewhere I have no desire to live, unless it's a fly-in, fly-out position, which this is not. My girlfriend also wants no part in moving to Fort Mac, no matter how good the money is. I do pretty well right now for myself I think, and I'm still young, so the money is very tempting, I just don't know if it's worth me not being in a position of authority as quick as I'd like...

What would you guys do? Anyone experienced have any advice they'd like to share?

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
i would not list that lol

so i might be relocated to calgary because big boss man wants to turn calgary into the west hub. and they want all the good resources in cowtown

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
The cover letter is an outdated theory. I never use one, and still get great feedback.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/08...-old-standard/
i think cover letters are important, especially if you know how to write a good one. i got all calls from places i sent cover letters to. of course, if its a ****** cover letter then itll probably be tossed

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Leaving my job on 3rd August.
Applied to about 9 accountants so far. Hopefully get some back soon.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:14 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I'm not jobless, but I wish I had a different one.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Been unemployed since early March. Umping baseball/softball has kept me on my feet, along with collecting unemployment, which I use to pay my student loans.

But umping is ending soon, so I need to find something cuz I'm about to be bored as all hell.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Would you happen to have any sort of degree which would help your occupational prospects

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

It looks like I have an interview with Credit Suisse sometime next week! This would be an awesome opportunity for me.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Gratz

Old
07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
But HF said business degrees were as useless (or more useless) than English degrees
This is absolute BS.

You do know that a BComm can lead to careers in accountancy, finance, marketing, and HR management? Business degrees are hardly useless.

Plus doors open up at the graduate level - I now have excellent grades and the requisite experience (as a social manager for a firm) to apply for either the MBA or MSc programs.

Do you even work, btw?

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBertho View Post
This is absolute BS.

You do know that a BComm can lead to careers in accountancy, finance, marketing, and HR management? Business degrees are hardly useless.

Plus doors open up at the graduate level - I now have excellent grades and the requisite experience (as a social manager for a firm) to apply for either the MBA or MSc programs.

Do you even work, btw?
Yes.

It wasn't even me who said it. Epsilon said it in the political forum. I happen to think business degrees are highly useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
When I was at Oregon the undergrad business majors were pretty much the laughing stock of both the mathematics and economics departments. Marketing in particular was considered pretty much a joke degree. And it was hilarious how many times some of these morons had to repeat the dumbed-down "calculus and statistics for business and social sciences" classes that they were required to take. Even the grad students (in finance and accounting) weren't much better, I heard all about them from the economics profs and grad students. They were required to take graduate-level econometrics and microeconomics, but weren't actually required to pass them (and routinely didn't). One of the econ profs once told me he wanted "to take every business student and have them publicly flogged".

Last edited by Francesa: 07-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old
07-27-2012, 05:07 PM
The Last Baron*

His experience is probably unique. The business school I attended had far stricter standards. In particilar, students in both finance and accountancy were not given any leeway whatsoever.

All I know is that my "joke" of a degree has opened up a considerable amount of opportunities for my career, both professionally and academically. I realistically could have gone into any program I wanted but chose marketing because it was something in which I'm passionate. Mathematics, while fun and easy for me (particularly calculus), just didn't appeal to me when I considered future careers.

Last edited by The Last Baron*: 07-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:21 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Been unemployed since early March. Umping baseball/softball has kept me on my feet, along with collecting unemployment, which I use to pay my student loans.

But umping is ending soon, so I need to find something cuz I'm about to be bored as all hell.
Not sure who your student loan servicer is but you might look into getting a financial hardship deferment placed on your loans so that you don't have to pay them while you're unemployed.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Congo Jack
Show Me Your Moves!

I've been working on a script to a show I want to create so if that makes it I won't be posting in this thread anymore I know that that prob won't happen but still...let me dream.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:03 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Just got rejected from a job after I had interviewed for them two weeks ago. Sucks I guess but I'm not that bummed. I guess I just haven't found something I'm really into yet.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:09 AM
Patchey*

I should get a buisiness degree.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

You should

Old
07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchey View Post
I should get a buisiness degree.
Only if you plan on expanding on that. a General business degree on itself is pretty worthless these days. Then again, I think you were just spamming, and I'm wasting my time replying.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Only if you plan on expanding on that. a General business degree on itself is pretty worthless these days.
That's not true.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Congo Jack
Show Me Your Moves!

So would any of you know anything about writing and production of a TV show? I could use some tips lol

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote