HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless Thread II

Old
08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Zingbo2133

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Can anyone suggest a good trades school in the southern ontario region? Trying to get my welding license (TSSA and CWB) I've done some research already but just taking a shot in a the dark, maybe someone on here has his/her's already. Cheers.
I know there is a trades school here in London that does hvac and stuff not sure about welding tho. Might be worth a look.

Zingbo2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:50 AM
The Finnish MacInnis*

Wtf is this thread? "I don't even..." to quote whoever.

Ain't rocket science to get a job. Most of the time it just takes getting booted out of Mommy's basement to light the necessary under the a55 fire to not starve.

The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:07 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Vacation is over, so looks like it is about time to finally start looking for a job. Actually finally rejuvenated, and ready to get back into work.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

I'm not currently unemployed.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:25 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Finnish MacInnis View Post
Wtf is this thread? "I don't even..." to quote whoever.

Ain't rocket science to get a job. Most of the time it just takes getting booted out of Mommy's basement to light the necessary under the a55 fire to not starve.
For those with school loans it isn't that easy. When you are expected to pay them off minimum wage won't cut it & you can get economic hard ship deferments or forbearance that's based on your monthly income. So it's a matter of finding a job that's worth it & that's extremely hard these days.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Is full time university student considered a job? If not, hooray, joblessness!

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Is full time university student considered a job? If not, hooray, joblessness!
Students are not considered to be unemployed.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Teemu

It looks like I will finally be accepted as a volunteer at a local hospital. While I won't get paid, it will be good for the experience and connections.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just had a phone interview a bit ago, thought it went well. Supposedly have an interview tomorrow morning with the agency that got me the job interview... so I'm not sure...

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Teemu

So about three months ago, I applied for an HR position at a local hospital. It was pretty much a foot-in-the-door thing, and I never heard back.

Anyway, on Wednesday, I get a call in the morning from that hospital saying that there's an internship available in a completely unrelated department and they would like to do a phone interview in 20 minutes. So I have about 15 minutes to review the job description (after it was emailed to me) and collect myself for the interview. It went well, and they will be interviewing me face-to-face next Friday.

Moral of the story is apply to HR positions I guess.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I just voluntarily left the job force to go to graduate school. I have to move back into Mommy & Daddy's basement again, but it's been a few years so they're actually looking forward to it. I'm 24 now so my window was closing, but I plan on being done with school May '14.

I suggest it to anyone who can swing it, talk about getting a weight off your shoulders!

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Got a job interview in London on the 12th of November. Around 16k if I get it.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 07:04 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
So about three months ago, I applied for an HR position at a local hospital. It was pretty much a foot-in-the-door thing, and I never heard back.

Anyway, on Wednesday, I get a call in the morning from that hospital saying that there's an internship available in a completely unrelated department and they would like to do a phone interview in 20 minutes. So I have about 15 minutes to review the job description (after it was emailed to me) and collect myself for the interview. It went well, and they will be interviewing me face-to-face next Friday.

Moral of the story is apply to HR positions I guess.
haha, my HR application experience was the same. Applied for it as a foot-in-the-door, gain some experience in a professional office environment type job. Had a screening interview and didn't hear back.

A month and change later, they called to tell me I was accepted for a real interview. Unfortunately the job was a summer position in Montreal (I go to school in Ottawa), they called the same day that I had accepted a job at a pub, and I would've only been there for two months.

11-09-2012, 11:27 PM
nightfighter

Man, being semi-laid off just over a month ago has been nerve wracking. It's been a strangely liberating experience; I got to spend alot more quality time with my 4 month old daughter and wife, see friends that i don't normally get to see and sleep in a ton lol Bills gotta get paid though, and job searching was definitely a test in patience and mental fortitude. Finally got a job offer today and it feels like a great weight has been lifted from me.

A little background: I work as a digital/web graphics designer. Spent 5 years at my last company and while the people are nice enough the work was starting to get stale and, creatively, I could feel myself falling into a rut. Toyed with the idea of finding a new job but never got past a first interview. Anyways, this lay off was the kick in the pants I needed.

The graphics design industry is super competitive these days. So much young talent coming fresh out of school and alot of older people doing career changes to pursue their passions makes for an oversaturated market. Some of the larger agencies I looked at don't have great job security either. With the economy being in the dumps, long term clients for these agencies are now shopping for cheaper alternatives and the big bloated companies are finding it nescessary to let people go in droves. You might get hired if they land a big fish brand but as soon as that brand leaves, so does your job.

Anyways, I don't want to paint too bleak a picture for anyone else here that is considering a future in design. I did find this current offer at a medium sized company that specializes in digital touch interfaces.

My advice to you all whether you are applying for an open position or cold calling/emailing whatever...follow up after the first contact. Email definitely, calling is even better. So many people miss this crucial step and it's one of the simplest.

Chin up all you job seekers. There is a light at the end of the tunnel if you keep working at it.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
so I got this email today from Monster
Quote:
My name is Jeffery Lambdin. I am the Branch Sales Manager at Bankers Life and Casualty Company, Cincinnati. I came across your resume on Monster and wanted to extend a personal invitation to you. Your resume suggests that you have the right mix of skills for a career as an independent Insurance Sales Agent; a role we are actively seeking to fill in my office.

Please accept my invite to meet my management team and learn more about this opportunity. Please click here to apply online.

As a leading national insurance company in business for over 130 years, Bankers provides health and life insurance products and annuities designed especially for the retirement market. We have over 200 sales offices across the country in addition to my office in Cincinnati.

Here are some of the reasons why I strongly believe in this opportunity:

Market: As the nearly 78 million Baby Boomers begin retiring, Bankers is poised for explosive sales growth making this the ideal time to join our organization and take advantage of this unique opportunity.
Career Development: Our comprehensive training helps you learn our business, the best practices for success, and what it takes to be hired as an employee into a career in management.
Financial Rewards: We offer an outstanding compensation package including quarterly bonus commission programs, sales trips and conventions.
Community Involvement: Your partnership with Bankers allows you to positively affect the lives of the individuals in your community by helping them prepare for the financial realities of retirement.

If this sounds like an opportunity you would like to learn more about, please click here to schedule a time to meet with my management team. The online process takes less than 2 minutes.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you.
obviously it's a blanket email since my resume in absolutely no way suggests that I would be even remotely proficient at sales.

any chance that someone here has done something like this? I'm not thrilled with my current employment but I can't imagine trying to sell insurance without putting a bullet in my temple after the first day

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:01 AM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post

obviously it's a blanket email since my resume in absolutely no way suggests that I would be even remotely proficient at sales.

any chance that someone here has done something like this? I'm not thrilled with my current employment but I can't imagine trying to sell insurance without putting a bullet in my temple after the first day
A quick google search on the company is not promising. From what I gathered:

- They charge you ~$300 to do their training program which is a simple licensing exam.
- Then you cold call senior citizens and try to set up a meeting in their home and sell them insurance.
- No pay for your time cold calling people. Only get paid on comission when you make a sale.
- There are quotas for appointments you set up each week ranging from 10-15 appointments (set up from your calls).

Here's one of the more amusing links:

Anyways, I'd steer clear of them if I were you.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Starting my new job Monday... ehhh...

Old
11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:

If you're a scummy ******* who has no problems with scamming elderly people out of their money and are an excellent salesman, you could probably do very well for yourself selling insurance. Otherwise, stay far away.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:15 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
A quick google search on the company is not promising. From what I gathered:

- They charge you ~$300 to do their training program which is a simple licensing exam.
- Then you cold call senior citizens and try to set up a meeting in their home and sell them insurance.
- No pay for your time cold calling people. Only get paid on comission when you make a sale.
- There are quotas for appointments you set up each week ranging from 10-15 appointments (set up from your calls).

Here's one of the more amusing links:

Anyways, I'd steer clear of them if I were you.
that's awesome. the second comment is "THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM". God bless the interwebs

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
davebenj

Even though I have a job, I feel for those that are unemployed which I have certainly been. Not to get political but I think Obama has done a TERRIBLE job as president especially with the economy and am so crushed he is the president for four more years (and this coming from someone who is usually more democratic) It is scary how bad the economy has become with the very real potential to get worse.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:33 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but...

Anytime I make an update to my Monster profile, which bumps your profile to the top of the pile, I get a call from them. Honestly, I bet 10 calls in the last 2+ years.

As soon as any "financial services company" calls/emails me, my assumption is it's a sales position, and it's a scam.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

So yeah, 3rd day into work and it's not too bad. Get to sit at computer most of the time doing nothing . $11 an hour but for only 3 months.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

Had a phone interview last week and was told that they would call back to schedule another interview if I made the cut.

Got the call that I made the cut and will have an interview Tuesday. Told me to cut a block in my schedule that is roughly 2-3 hours.

That is going to be a long ass interview.

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
2-3 hours? That's standard, I've had day long interviews involving over 10 different people.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:53 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevscup30 View Post
2-3 hours? That's standard, I've had day long interviews involving over 10 different people.
That's ****ing insane. The longest interview I ever had was about 45 minutes to an hour.