HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless Thread II

Old
02-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Francesa

vCash: 500
Congrats. Seattle is a good city

Was there over the summer

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Had a good job since late September. Got called into the CFOs office today to be told that my position's been eliminated and I'll have to leave immediately. No reason, no warning, nothing.

Just shellshocked right now.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Laid off today. Meh, I'm leaving for the UK in a month.

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Girlfriend lives in Vancouver. I live in Toronto. Planning on moving to Vancouver in August. Applied for a job I thought I would be really good at. Worked hard on the cover letter and resume. Just saw the job got re-posted yesterday.

EDIT: I currently have a job and can probably get a transfer in August but I'd rather find something in a different company. So while I'm not jobless, it was still disappointing

Last edited by GIN ANTONIC: 02-15-2013 at 09:25 PM.
GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Can you afford to just move there and start looking?

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Girlfriend lives in Vancouver. I live in Toronto. Planning on moving to Vancouver in August. Applied for a job I thought I would be really good at. Worked hard on the cover letter and resume. Just saw the job got re-posted yesterday.

EDIT: I currently have a job and can probably get a transfer in August but I'd rather find something in a different company. So while I'm not jobless, it was still disappointing
If you need the 411, stop by over the Vancouver forum boards for advice

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Can you afford to just move there and start looking?
Yes and No. I have money saved up so I could theoretically do that but Vancouver is hella expensive so it would deplete my funds rather quickly. Plan is for us to move in together when I get out there. Right now she is living with her Mom in Langley to regroup and save up cash. She was renting a condo downtown but the owners sold so she had to move out a couple months ago. I'm applying for other jobs out there and some positions in other cities actually. If I get a good job somewhere else she said she would relocate.

But I'm wondering, should I re-submit my resume to this positing. I didn't say anywhere in my e-mail or cover letter that I am planning and moving there regardless. Maybe the fact that I'm in Toronto put them off a bit. I really nail all the requirements so I find it strange I wouldn't even get a call back. But C'est la vie I suppose.
Quote:
If you need the 411, stop by over the Vancouver forum boards for advice
But then what if one of them uses my information and tries to take the job for themselves!?!?! WHAT THEN!?!?! But thanks, I have a few housing/neighborhood questions to ask

Old
02-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Best of luck to you, Gin. If you want to rend a condo with an ocean view in White Rock (approx. 45 minutes from downtown Vancouver) let me know. My fiance and I are now both in Alberta, so I'll have my place available for April 1st.

White Rock is easily the nicest city in greater Vancouver!

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Had a phone interview then in person interview last week. Supposed to hear back by Friday. Living at home is the worst.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
Best of luck to you, Gin. If you want to rend a condo with an ocean view in White Rock (approx. 45 minutes from downtown Vancouver) let me know. My fiance and I are now both in Alberta, so I'll have my place available for April 1st.

White Rock is easily the nicest city in greater Vancouver!
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind. I think she wants to live more downtown but I've heard white rock is very nice for beaches and border shopping. We're trying to save money and find something in the 1200/mo range. Something I'm realizing that this is increasingly difficult.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Thanks, will definitely keep that in mind. I think she wants to live more downtown but I've heard white rock is very nice for beaches and border shopping. We're trying to save money and find something in the 1200/mo range. Something I'm realizing that this is increasingly difficult.
Yeah, you're going to have a hard time finding a decent place for 1200/mo in downtown. You can get a fairly nice place for that kind of money in White Rock though...

Unfortunately my place falls into that 1700-1800/mo range; but if you decide to up your budget, let me know!

Best of luck to the both of you.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Yeah, you're going to have a hard time finding a decent place for 1200/mo in downtown. You can get a fairly nice place for that kind of money in White Rock though...

Unfortunately my place falls into that 1700-1800/mo range; but if you decide to up your budget, let me know!

Best of luck to the both of you.
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm in Toronto, which is not exactly cheapsville but 1200/mo for a decent 1 bedroom are pretty easy guidelines. We're starting to look early so hopefully we luck out. Any suggestions on areas to live in?

Old
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Yeah, it's crazy. I'm in Toronto, which is not exactly cheapsville but 1200/mo for a decent 1 bedroom are pretty easy guidelines. We're starting to look early so hopefully we luck out. Any suggestions on areas to live in?
I'm probably the last guy you want to ask for suggestions, considering I hate crowded areas. If it were me, I'd be as far away from downtown as possible! I'm more of a Langley, Aldergrove, White Rock kinda guy.

Anyways, if you want to be close to the "hub," try Kitsilano. It's a stones throw from downtown and a nice area with great beaches. North Vancouver is also close and there is a sea bus that makes for a quick commute to dt.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:30 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
I'm probably the last guy you want to ask for suggestions, considering I hate crowded areas. If it were me, I'd be as far away from downtown as possible! I'm more of a Langley, Aldergrove, White Rock kinda guy.

Anyways, if you want to be close to the "hub," try Kitsilano. It's a stones throw from downtown and a nice area with great beaches. North Vancouver is also close and there is a sea bus that makes for a quick commute to dt.
Yeah, she has lived in and around Kits before and really liked it so hopefully we can find something nice around there. Good luck in AB!

Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Just took a gig and now working for about week. I've spent the last three years travelling and working in hotels which I like. Possibly being offered in the next few days a gig in the right direction back in Alaska where I previously worked. Next step in the career path, Better money, benefits but no guaranteed employment for more than the summer and trying to settle down/ don't want to do so in AK.. Traveled too much for the past couple years and trying to get it together. Anyone got advice?

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Yeah, she has lived in and around Kits before and really liked it so hopefully we can find something nice around there. Good luck in AB!
Thanks, good luck to you as well!

Old
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I might be close to a job. Not sure. It's a Network Help Desk job with Verizon in NJ. Will have to hear back about it. They want experience (at least a year, which is what I don't have), but I hope my degree and CCNA classes help me get the job. I'll get paid enough to live on my own, too.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Francesa

Lol at all the complaints over Yahoo ending teleworking

Sorry that you actually have to go into the office to work, what a novel concept

Old
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Francesa

http://mashable.com/2013/02/27/yahoo-work-at-home/
Quote:
After widespread criticism of Yahoo's decision to ban employees from working at home, the company has addressed the controversy in a vague statement.

"This isn't a broad industry view on working from home," it said. "This is about what is right for Yahoo right now."
Again...I see people complaining about not being able to work from home, but there's no controversy here. People worked away from home for years. Besides, you can't work from home anyway. You'll get distracted. I can't even study at home without ending up playing FIFA 13 all day.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I will say, I'd LOVE to do all my work from home if I could. Save in gas and you can be comfortable in your own home would be a great thing.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I've had no luck finding a job... Not even an interview.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I start work tomorrow. 5 to 6 weeks of Windows 7 migration.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

So I have a job interview soon for a company that looks just perfect to me
Plus the money is good :-)

Plus, one of the interviewers is someome I already met for an interview for a company she used to work for. (yay, networking)
She really liked my candidacy, but she didnt get the approval to open a position for me

I really hate my current company

So where is the problem ?

I live downtown and have always worked downtown

If I get to join them (nothing is done yet), I would have to commute for around 45-48 minutes twice a day.
I dont own a car, so it will be public transit
Im not used to commuting that long, LOL

The good thing is that they have flexible hours; plus she told I can wear jeans at work everyday

So the positives : environment looks perfect for me, I wouid make more money, jeans, flexible hours

Negatives : it's far lol

What would you do in my situation ?

(I know, it's nothing compared to a 2 hour commute, or relocating, but it would be new for me)

Last edited by McSorleyStick: 03-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Finnish your Czech
I love Olli Jokinen

vCash: 50
I commute 50-60 minutes to school Monday to Friday. You get used to public transportation, but if it's somewhere packed like Toronto's Yonge subway line, then it would really suck. If you're commuting somewhere where you can sit down, read the newspaper, get some work done, browse the internet, etc then it won't be a problem.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:20 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I've had no luck finding a job... Not even an interview.

yeah me too, I think I still have about 30 resumes out, Last monday I decided to go in and see some HR people and saw 4 or 5 and I supposedly have an interview, they are starting the interviews in 2 weeks and I think I should get a call next week or so. Other than that, There is another company that there are no openings for but once they get an opening I'm in I think. Unfortunately the company keeps losing contracts so who knows if that happens.

I graduated from College in December and started looking in January, been kinda frustrating.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote