HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

The Jobless Thread II

Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I commute 50-60 minutes to school Monday to Friday. You get used to public transportation, but if it's somewhere packed like Toronto's Yonge subway line, then it would really suck. If you're commuting somewhere where you can sit down, read the newspaper, get some work done, browse the internet, etc then it won't be a problem.
Well in this case it's : subway then bus (thanks god there is a subway station close to where I live)

For the 33% or so of the subway part, I wont be able to sit dow, but for the for the most part I will

Then when I exit the subway, it's a 2 stop bus commute

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Well in this case it's : subway then bus (thanks god there is a subway station close to where I live)

For the 33% or so of the subway part, I wont be able to sit dow, but for the for the most part I will

Then when I exit the subway, it's a 2 stop bus commute
I think you will likely get used to it. I just know it's a pain in the ass to do any commuting via subway during rush hours (especially evening rush hour) in Toronto because the subways get so damn packed, at least northbound.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I think you will likely get used to it. I just know it's a pain in the ass to do any commuting via subway during rush hours (especially evening rush hour) in Toronto because the subways get so damn packed, at least northbound.
lol

Well I made my 1st trip there as I had an interview this morning

I almost took the cab, but I forced myself to use public transit, to try to get used to it

They mentioned the possibility to work a few days from home (in case they go ahead wirh my candidacy), but nothing is guaranteed yet

****** location TBH, but great workplace

Old
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Does anyone have any insight on employment within a large scale railroad like CSX, CN, CP OR NS? I am applying soon for CSX and NS and would like to see if anyone has tips..

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:24 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
lol

Well I made my 1st trip there as I had an interview this morning

I almost took the cab, but I forced myself to use public transit, to try to get used to it

They mentioned the possibility to work a few days from home (in case they go ahead wirh my candidacy), but nothing is guaranteed yet

****** location TBH, but great workplace
just curious, where is the ****** location you speak of?

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
just curious, where is the ****** location you speak of?
Cote Vertu

Old
03-17-2013, 01:11 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
got a phone interview on Tuesday for a history instructor position at a community college. Really happy about the chance, the job won't pay much but it's a good way to get my foot in the door.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Any advice on how to avoid wasting time with interviews?

Twice now, I've been contacted by a company claiming they've looked at my resume, and that I'd be a good fit for a position of theirs. I ask what position, and it's usually something in HR or Marketing (since that's what my background is in, and what I'm interested in doing).

Yet both times, I get there and it's always some pitch trying to get me to become a salesman for their company. I have no interest in Sales, my personality isn't right for Sales, nor does my background have any Sales in it.

It's starting to get to the point where I'm going to have to ask if it's a Sales job everytime I get called for an interview.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

Twice now, I've been contacted by a company claiming they've looked at my resume, and that I'd be a good fit for a position of theirs. I ask what position, and it's usually something in HR or Marketing (since that's what my background is in, and what I'm interested in doing).

Yet both times, I get there and it's always some pitch trying to get me to become a salesman for their company. I have no interest in Sales, my personality isn't right for Sales, nor does my background have any Sales in it.

It's starting to get to the point where I'm going to have to ask if it's a Sales job everytime I get called for an interview.
Research the company. I've gotten calls like that too. I'll type in the company's name into google and the first thing that comes up is like "Company ABC Sales Scam" or something along those lines. Do your homework.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevscup30 View Post
Research the company. I've gotten calls like that too. I'll type in the company's name into google and the first thing that comes up is like "Company ABC Sales Scam" or something along those lines. Do your homework.
Yeah, I've seen stuff like that, and I'm typically pretty good at avoiding them. But like I said, both times, they were offering positioning that fit my background, and I couldn't pass them up on the off-chance that they WERE legitimate job offers instead of sales pitches.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:

Life insurance companies, by chance?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Life insurance companies, by chance?
First one was a marketing firm. Second one was a life insurance company.

And I normally wouldn't have gone to the 2nd one, but they called me, asking if I could handle the benefits paperwork for their employees. It was something I had done with my last job, so I agreed to the interview, but only after being 100% assured that it wasn't a sales job ("We've looked at your resume, and you simply wouldn't have the experience we want for sales").

Yet I get there, and it's a ****** 5 minute interview with a guy who clearly didn't give two ***** about what I said, then a 3-hour presentation about how if I spend $500 getting my license, I could be making 100k a month in six to eight months!

Waste of time. What probably ticked me off the most was the dozen other people in that same presentation, buying the whole thing hook, line and sinker. Honestly wanted to interrupt the whole presentation and bring up the fact that insurance sales has the highest turnover rate out of any job in the country, and that's why they're always looking for more salesmen.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:41 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:

And I normally wouldn't have gone to the 2nd one, but they called me, asking if I could handle the benefits paperwork for their employees. It was something I had done with my last job, so I agreed to the interview, but only after being 100% assured that it wasn't a sales job ("We've looked at your resume, and you simply wouldn't have the experience we want for sales").

Yet I get there, and it's a ****** 5 minute interview with a guy who clearly didn't give two ***** about what I said, then a 3-hour presentation about how if I spend $500 getting my license, I could be making 100k a month in six to eight months!

Waste of time. What probably ticked me off the most was the dozen other people in that same presentation, buying the whole thing hook, line and sinker. Honestly wanted to interrupt the whole presentation and bring up the fact that insurance sales has the highest turnover rate out of any job in the country, and that's why they're always looking for more salesmen.
Been there, done that, man.

These life insurance/sales scams are the worst. They get your hopes up. I have a job, am looking for a better one and am getting discouraged quickly because those are the interview calls I get.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Don't forget the knife selling scam interview.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
RayP

Quote:

You really just gotta research the hell out of the company before you go in. If the details are really really vague in regards to what the company does, there is a good chance it's one of these companies. I've been there before and have literally walked out 5 minutes into an interview after I found out what was going on. It is always so frustrating.

I've seen the knife scam, fiber optics, office supplies, and a few others.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:

Was this the World Financial Group by any chance? If so, they are the worst. They literally take anybody off the streets

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
Was this the World Financial Group by any chance? If so, they are the worst. They literally take anybody off the streets
American Income Life, actually.

And the marketing firm was Worldwide Vision. I should have known better with that one (especially considering one of the first results was talking about how they're scamming people), but I couldn't resist the possibility that it was a legitimate marketing job.

That one wasn't so bad though, because as soon as the guy mentioned Sales to me, I told him I wasn't interested and left.

Old
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
American Income Life, actually.
American Income Life called me. The guy identified himself as "Ron with AIL." I googled AIL after I set up the interview, and then decided to skip it.

Ten days later I got a call from them asking if I'd like to reschedule the interview. I told them to never contact me again and hanged up.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Old Man Barking

Well, I've been unemployed since October. I was in the biology field but that company was going down so I had to leave.

With my limited experience and still being stuck in school, I've been forced back into retail...

Just did my drug test for a stocking position at Petsmart. I'm hoping it's a better experience than my previous dips into retail.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
American Income Life called me. The guy identified himself as "Ron with AIL." I googled AIL after I set up the interview, and then decided to skip it.

Ten days later I got a call from them asking if I'd like to reschedule the interview. I told them to never contact me again and hanged up.
Similar experience happened with me and they still call me to come interview.

I have an MPA and have been unemployed for months since relocating to central NY where my fiance took a job as a physician assistant. I worked at state farm insurance for a couple weeks, where I was badly underpaid and misled about what the job would be.

We're hoping she gets a job back home in New Hampshire where I have some connections and will take the exam to be a police officer.

03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Man do I hate the employment laws in this country.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:05 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Man do I hate the employment laws in this country.
Do tell.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

I'm wondering if i should quit my job for some blues hockey tonight and opening day baseball?

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Do tell.
It's essentially impossible for employers to fire an employee once they've been hired, which makes them very hesitant to hire people they don't already know and when jobs do end up being publicly advertised they generally have outrageous demands in terms of previous experience, even dead-end jobs like janitors, dishwashers and store clerks are expected to have several years of experience.

We basically have a job market entirely built upon nepotism, which completely screws those of us who don't have connections with the right people.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
It's essentially impossible for employers to fire an employee once they've been hired, which makes them very hesitant to hire people they don't already know and when jobs do end up being publicly advertised they generally have outrageous demands in terms of previous experience, even dead-end jobs like janitors, dishwashers and store clerks are expected to have several years of experience.

We basically have a job market entirely built upon nepotism, which completely screws those of us who don't have connections with the right people.
Sounds like the good ol' USA.