Around The League - Hockey is back!

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I was just coming here to say that. He'd have to be the permanent 7th defenseman though.
the kings seem to be pretty pleased with his play so far.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
the kings seem to be pretty pleased with his play so far.
What I meant was the Ducks couldn't put him through waivers. So he'd have to unseat a starter (unlikely) or be the 7th defenseman.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:47 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
What I meant was the Ducks couldn't put him through waivers. So he'd have to unseat a starter (unlikely) or be the 7th defenseman.
it'd help if we saw him play lol haha. i haven't seen him but he was certainly drafted high and seems to be at least not terrible. we could put him there instead of maybe guenin

Old
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Exit Dose

It begins, from Eklund:
*The Canadiens also have interest in Getzlaf...not necessarily happening before the deadline/summer...but just remember this one...

I get the feeling that this half season is going to feel longer than last season and the lockout combined.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 01-13-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It begins, from Eklund:
*The Canadiens also have interest in Getzlaf...not necessarily happening before the deadline/summer...but just remember this one...

I get the feeling that his half season is going to feel longer than last season and the lockout combined.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It begins, from Eklund:

I get the feeling that his half season is going to feel longer than last season and the lockout combined.
You just have to wonder about these media types. I mean, if Getzlaf becomes available wouldn't there be 29 teams interested in him? Is it really newsworthy to single out one team?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Exit Dose

What a difference a typo makes. I meant 'this' not 'his'.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Getz/Perry rumors are going to be flying around all season. Best to ignore them.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:10 PM
bumperkisser

so i guess all our players cleared yesterday..
i still want hickey...

Old
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
so i guess all our players cleared yesterday..
i still want hickey...
As in Thomas Hickey? Why? He's an undersized defenseman who, really, should be doing better in the AHL than he is. We have someone like him in Vatanen, not to mention Sbisa, Fowler, and Lindholm.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
As in Thomas Hickey? Why? He's an undersized defenseman who, really, should be doing better in the AHL than he is. We have someone like him in Vatanen, not to mention Sbisa, Fowler, and Lindholm.
He's still a high upside guy IMO and claiming him on waivers and keeping him as a 7th dman is a very low risk, high reward scenario. We'd also be sticking it to a rival team in the process, who happened to have used a 4th overall pick on the guy. Maybe he ends up getting playing time due to injuries, performs well and ends up being a decent trade chip or someone you don't mind keeping around. I'd love it if a younger guy like Hickey chased Shelden "stupid signing" Souray out of town.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

I think picking up Hickey just to keep him as a 7th defenseman is doing the young man an injustice. There is absolutely no reason to grab him unless we intend to use him, and "sticking it" to the Kings is just going to guarantee they do the same to us at some point. Only... when they do it, it might really hurt. The Kings can afford to lose Hickey. Who knows what we might lose.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
I think picking up Hickey just to keep him as a 7th defenseman is doing the young man an injustice. There is absolutely no reason to grab him unless we intend to use him, and "sticking it" to the Kings is just going to guarantee they do the same to us at some point. Only... when they do it, it might really hurt. The Kings can afford to lose Hickey. Who knows what we might lose.
we woudln't be keeping him as a 7th d-man just for the sake of doing it. we're giving him an opportunity to fight for the top-6. honestly if hes good enough then he'll get his playing time in. our d-men aren't the most durable and its pretty much a guarantee he'll get some playing time this season IF hes good enough. plus hes got pretty good upside so why not? it improves our team by adding YOUNG depth. hes not just an old fart. this also lets vatanen develop more in the minors without rushing him up here. i dont think you can ever complain with too many young potential d-men..

Old
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
we woudln't be keeping him as a 7th d-man just for the sake of doing it. we're giving him an opportunity to fight for the top-6. honestly if hes good enough then he'll get his playing time in. our d-men aren't the most durable and its pretty much a guarantee he'll get some playing time this season IF hes good enough. plus hes got pretty good upside so why not? it improves our team by adding YOUNG depth. hes not just an old fart. this also lets vatanen develop more in the minors without rushing him up here. i dont think you can ever complain with too many young potential d-men..
The problem is exactly what you're recognizing - he's a young man. He isn't a veteran that can be relied upon to come in and bring his game. That's what's (seemingly) holding him back in LA, already. He needs to play, and he won't get to do it with us. I mean, theoretically, one could bring him into camp, look if he absolutely excels with the chance given. But you'd basically have to re-assign and thus waive again (with L.A. getting to claim him back and assign him to the AHL if no other team puts in a claim) him if he doesn't forcefully bump anyone from the roster, because you're not going to help him or your club keeping him around without playing time. And I really don't see him bump anyone here, right now.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Exit Dose

Can someone give me a reason to pick up Hickey? Be specific about what you think Hickey will bring.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Meh. Hickey feels like Cam Barker circa 3 years ago. Although I haven't seen any of him to really indict him.

Sad thing was I liked Barker during his draft. I was hoping he'd drop to us. Him or Thelen. Yeah, I didn't have a very good 2004 draft board. But in my defense, I was quicker to realize that Barker wasn't going to amount to much. I think I was even saying it in his 40 point season.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Amazing. Fistric has been a whipping boy for two years for the Stars, and not entirely unreasonably, and now Oilers fans are pissed that people are literally just starting to hate on him for no reason. One would think that Dallas giving him away to make room for Aaron Rome would put things in some perspective.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Amazing. Fistric has been a whipping boy for two years for the Stars, and not entirely unreasonably, and now Oilers fans are pissed that people are literally just starting to hate on him for no reason. One would think that Dallas giving him away to make room for Aaron Rome would put things in some perspective.
In an Oiler uniform, he's at least twice the player he was.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
In an Oiler uniform, he's at least twice the player he was.
If it just was like that. If he just was twice of the very little of the player he actually was, that wouldn't be overly exciting. Being twice the player might have prevented him from being leapfrogged by Aaron Rome on the depth chart. I can't help but associate this with the EA NHL series, where he used to be highly rated sometime, and not many people watching Southern teams up in the North. I call it the Cody-Franson-Effect.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Move over Judas Schultz. There's a new #1 HOF defenceman in town.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Thought this might be the place for this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7270--nhl.html

Move if need be.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

You know, I have to admit, I was all for giving Lubo another season, not just because I felt he had more to offer, but also because I felt he could aid Anaheim through this transitory period. In hindsight though, this mess with him just reinforces that it was time to move on.

Edit: And now the NYI have grabbed Hickey off waivers. With the uncertainty around Visnovsky, that seems like a good decision for them.

Last edited by Sojourn: 01-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
All 48 Ducks games to be shown locally. 28 of them on Prime Ticket, 14 on FS West, five on KDOC. Finale against Phoenix on NBCSN.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 AM
bumperkisser

what do you guys think about offering gomez a 1 year contract? he didn't seem awful and hes defensively responsible. hes got good speed and is a pretty solid playmaker.

let him center ryan and selanne if he plays well in camp.
bonino gets pushed to 4th line, and holland gets first call up or 1st line minutes in the AHL.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

If anything, I think you'd want Gomez for the 4th line. He had TWO goals last year. Probably a good energy line and PK addition, but he's not 2nd line material anymore IMO.

Closed Thread