HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Well, that was a weird game.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Well, that was a weird game.

We played against a team that had recently moved 3 levels down from where they used to be. They were up 4-0 after one period, then scored 3 more times in the first few minutes of the second.

At that point, our goalie quit. He just skated off the ice and left.

So, yours truly spent over half a game in net with nothing but skater's gear, diving "mostly unsuccessfully) to block shots. It's amazing how hard it is to stop a shot without the ability to close your five-hole. By the end of the game, I had basically stopped standing up at all, preferring to scoot around on my knees with my stick flat on the ice.

Weirdest moment was just after I got in net, some **** on the other team cranked a high slapshot. The refs waved off the goal and stuck him with an unsportsmanlike conduct minor.

Anybody else have to do this in a game before?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

One of my teammates nearly had to. He usually plays goal but dressed up as a skater that night. Our goalie didn't show up and it was a playoff game. Luckily we found a guy who just finished his game and was willing to tend for us.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Wooty

I have done this several times. It seems there is an unwritten rule about not shooting high. Obviously things get deflected and players just aren't great shooters.

I have found that these games can still be pretty close if your team plays a good D. As the "goalie" you can jump on lose pucks and any dump in is an automatic quick breakout.

However one time, in adult rec league, I ended up doing this when one of the players from the other team cranked up a slap shot that went over the net. He was a teenager and did not seem to care about anyone but his display of shooting ability. The ref blew the whistle just to get a faceoff and try to re-control things when one of the guys on my team just leveled him. They started wrestling and such and got penalties.

The other guy (the teenage slapshooter) got an additional penalty for being a dick but they did not give out majors so both players stayed in the game. I am skating around by the net and watching as the referee tries to explain to the kid what he did wrong when I can see someone running around the rink from the audience side to the penalty box side.

Sure enough it was teenage player's father who pulled a "Tie Domi fan". He climbed up the back of the glass and benches and started swinging down on the player on my team. To make things worse, the glass was very high and the ice level was lowered.

of course the guy on my team just reaches up and yanks him down - boom. The referees and league people all pile into penalty box.

The guy was OK, he actually got a hand on the way down by the player and after the police arrived he apologized. I am not sure why he wasn't arrested. There is an auto-arrest law about spectators touching referees and I assumed it was for players too but maybe it is not so.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:36 AM
SCritical

our goalie for our summer season was alwas late. You could count on him to miss most of the first period. One of our Ds in his skater gear always went in net until he got there. I don't know why he always volunteered, he looked terrified - I could see this whites of his eyes through his cage. But people were good enough to keep their shots low

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:33 AM
OpenIceHit42

I haven't seen a goalie skate off the rink but about a year ago in a beer league roller hockey league we were playing a team in the playoffs and their goalie basically gave up. He stayed in net for the rest of the game but just stood there as we lit him up like a Christmas tree. His team was b!tching at him after the first period because he gave up a couple of softies and he told them to stick it.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a crappy situation.

A few years ago in my summer league, our goalie was late, and one of our defensemen (who was almost 60 years old) stood in net with a blocker, catcher, and goalie stick. He actually made 5 saves on 6 shots in the first several minutes of the game, include a "pad stack". Pretty entertaining.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Crazy story. I routinely block shots at the point but you might deserve a medal standing in the cage without goalie gear or at least extra ice time. Haha.

That seems pretty daunting.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
dhawken

We had a slightly similar situation one night, but at least we had equipment. Our goalie was a surgeon who never knew when he might be called away, so he always left his stuff with the most reliable guy. One night there was a massive blizzard and there's 7 of us sitting in the dressing room, debating what to do. No goalie, so we drew straws for who had to tend net.

In hindsight, I should have volunteered for goal, as 6 skaters in a game was puke inducing at best. The first minute of my first shift was ok, second minute not so great, peeled off for a change and found the guy on the bench had just got there, so the next few minutes of the shift were brutal. Finally had to hack a guy down just to get 2 minutes of forced rest.

On the subject tho, our "goalie", with the equipment, didn't do too badly. Not that much worse than our regular goalie would have done with 6 bagged skaters in front of him.

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
johnjm22

Earlier this year I played against a team whose goalie didn't show up, so they played with an extra skater all game.

You'd think it would be an easy victory for my team, the only problem was that we only had 5 skaters, so essentially both teams were handicapped. It turned out be a fun and entertaining game. We still lost though.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I play in a small league where good goalies are a hot commodity, so the opposing goalie in this particular division was my goalie in a different division. Awesome goalie but he was on a terrible team who all but abandoned him after a few goals. I ended up flubbing most of the shots on him because I felt bad, he stayed in net but he wasn't playing goal anymore.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote