HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v20: off-season '12| In: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas, Ross...Out: J Johnson, Bayless

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Leafsforlife98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Bud Stefanski is the former GM of the 76'ers, he would have a handle on all players involved.
Yea I know, that's why I said he has ties to Philly.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
from what i hear iggy is costing us derozan, davis and calderon........

Old
07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Eytinge

Boo. We better not be keeping Calderon. Part of the reason Lowry wanted out of Houston was because Dragic was taking time away from him.

We need to trade/amnesty Calderon. Don't bring his no defense playing ass back.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Anyone think Lou Williams could be Raptors bound?

I'm still hoping for Ilyasova.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

Also, I'd have no problem at all trading DeRozan if we can get value back. I'm not a fan of his and don't see enough potential.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Leafsforlife98

Bayless is now a UFA. Goodbye Bayless. I still think he could be a solid addition to a team looking for some scoring. When he was starting, the guy was averaging close to 17pts, 6.5 assists if I remeber correctly. He can play, but this is just to create room money wise, to bring over Kyle Lowry.

Like the guys from before said, this might mean that they are keeping Jose Calderon and have him run the second unit. That worries me also.

A 10 million dollar back up point guard is not good buisness. I have been happy with Briab Colangelo's off season so far, so I hope he has something else planned. We can not go into the season like this

PG- Lowry/Calderon
SG- Derozan/Fields/Ross
SF- J.Johnson/Kleiza
PF- Bargnani/E.Davis
C- Valancuinas/A.Johnson/Magloire

It's not a horrible lineup by any means, it would probaly get us in the 7th or 8th seed in the east, but I would like 1 more move for an established wingman who can shoot, as well as play solid defence. I know it's tough to find one, but that is the piece that vaults us from 7th, 8th or 9th seed, to maybe 3 or 4 with all the question marks surrounding the top teams in the East. Miami is #1, then then all the teams have problems or things that could go terribly wrong for them.

Just my opinion

Old
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Bayless is now a UFA. Goodbye Bayless. I still think he could be a solid addition to a team looking for some scoring. When he was starting, the guy was averaging close to 17pts, 6.5 assists if I remeber correctly. He can play, but this is just to create room money wise, to bring over Kyle Lowry.

Like the guys from before said, this might mean that they are keeping Jose Calderon and have him run the second unit. That worries me also.

A 10 million dollar back up point guard is not good buisness. I have been happy with Briab Colangelo's off season so far, so I hope he has something else planned. We can not go into the season like this

PG- Lowry/Calderon
SG- Derozan/Fields/Ross
SF- J.Johnson/Kleiza
PF- Bargnani/E.Davis
C- Valancuinas/A.Johnson/Magloire

It's not a horrible lineup by any means, it would probaly get us in the 7th or 8th seed in the east, but I would like 1 more move for an established wingman who can shoot, as well as play solid defence. I know it's tough to find one, but that is the piece that vaults us from 7th, 8th or 9th seed, to maybe 3 or 4 with all the question marks surrounding the top teams in the East. Miami is #1, then then all the teams have problems or things that could go terribly wrong for them.

Just my opinion
That's a very optimistic outlook.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
That's a very optimistic outlook.
I dunno... The East is pretty bad in regards to depth of quality teams

EDIT: NVM I thought the roster you quoted had Iggy

Old
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Are we really going to pay Jose 10 million dollars to play 15 minutes per night coming off the bench?

Seriously, he BETTER come off the bench. Giving up a lottery pick for Lowry and then having him back up (or even split time with) Jose would definitely be one of the dumbest things this franchise has ever done.

Realistically, I want Lowry playing at least 30 minutes per night. Anywhere from 30 to 35.

Trade Jose as an expiring, and sign someone like Lou Williams to back up Lowry. Assuming he wouldn't be asking for too much, I think he'd be a great option who could provide scoring off the bench. Sure he's terrible defensively, but I'm sure Casey could work his magic. He could also play the 2.

07-06-2012, 05:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Pulling Bayless' QO and keeing Calderon on the roster for now is just dumb. Calderon deserves to go somewhere to start, and the Raps should not be paying $10m for him to come off the bench. And when he does get amnestied/traded, they're gonna need a backup PG.

I suppose Bayless could've balked at the idea of coming off the bench too, but by all accounts, he did want to stay with the Raptors last I heard.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Anyone think Lou Williams could be Raptors bound?

I'm still hoping for Ilyasova.
I would've said no before dropping Bayless, but it kinda would make sense now.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Also, I'd have no problem at all trading DeRozan if we can get value back. I'm not a fan of his and don't see enough potential.
I really started to dislike him this year. It was pretty painful watching him play at times. I hope his ass is moved outta here.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
If Bayless doesn't work out a contract + Calderon gets traded/amnestied I'd love to see Lou signed + Iggy in a trade. This off-season is like a complete facelift.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
If Valanciunas would have been picked in the 2012 Draft last week, after playing the season with Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania? "I'd say he goes 2," one general manager said recently. "If he's in the Draft based on his body of work over the last 12 months, then I think he goes 2." "I think No. 2," another executive said. "He was 5 last year, and you could say this is a stronger Draft class (in 2012). But considering his size and how hard he plays, and that he's been playing professional basketball another year, it certainly wouldn't be any lower than he was last year."
Very nice to hear.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
If Bayless doesn't work out a contract + Calderon gets traded/amnestied I'd love to see Lou signed + Iggy in a trade. This off-season is like a complete facelift.
While I think he still could work out a contract, it seems pretty far fetched at this point. As long as the Raptors held onto his rights, they could sign him and exceed the cap as long as everything else they were doing was valid from a salary rules/regs standpoint. By renouncing his rights and letting him become an UFA, if they sign him now, whatever he takes could not exceed the cap, and would likely be less than what his qualifying offer was considering they still have to integrate Fields, Lowry, Valanciunas, and Ross into the payroll.

There are also some tweets on ESPN from John Hollinger and Marc Stein noting that cutting Bayless likely means that Calderon sticks around for now and potentially becomes trade-bait later on. Also that Bayless' QO didn't prevent them from getting Fields & Lowry in right now, so it's possible that the move was a precursor to something else.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
thatshype

I just want to clarify and I apologize if it's a dumb question, but what are the conditions on the 1st round pick that's doing to Houston? Most of the resources I've read just say "conditional" and some don't even say that much.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I just want to clarify and I apologize if it's a dumb question, but what are the conditions on the 1st round pick that's doing to Houston? Most of the resources I've read just say "conditional" and some don't even say that much.
from what I've read, it's protected so that if it falls within a certain range each year, Houston can't get it.

for the 2013 draft, if it's 1-3 or 15-30 we keep it.
for 2014 and 2015, the protected range is 1-2 and 15-30
for 2016 and 2017, #1 and 15-30.

Houston gets the pick at the earliest point in which the pick isn't protected (they only get 1 pick) and from what I heard, although this seems doubtful, if by some fluke the Raptors meet the protection requirements for every year, Houston doesn't get a pick. I have to think that if it is protected 2013-17, the Rockets would get the 2018 1st automatically.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
from what I've read, it's protected so that if it falls within a certain range each year, Houston can't get it.

Houston gets the pick at the earliest point in which the pick isn't protected (they only get 1 pick) and from what I heard, although this seems doubtful, if by some fluke the Raptors meet the protection requirements for every year, Houston doesn't get a pick. I have to think that if it is protected 2013-17, the Rockets would get the 2018 1st automatically.
Wow, thanks. That's pretty convoluted but I can sort of understand it from both teams' perspective. Looks like Houston is counting on the Raptors still being in the lower half of the league next year.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:45 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Another quick thought though....if the Raps remain the same as we are now (ie picking from 5-10) and Colangelo gets fired before the draft, the new guy won't even be able to pick a player in his first draft as GM. That would be pretty bad.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Another quick thought though....if the Raps remain the same as we are now (ie picking from 5-10) and Colangelo gets fired before the draft, the new guy won't even be able to pick a player in his first draft as GM. That would be pretty bad.
par for the course in sports though. Go ahead and burn future assets to save yoru job now. Why plan for when you're not likely to be there?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

So Ray Allen to the Miami Heat? WHERE IS THE PARITY IN THE NBA?

Just give them another NBA Trophy

Old
07-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
So Ray Allen to the Miami Heat? WHERE IS THE PARITY IN THE NBA?

Just give them another NBA Trophy
Dude he's almost done. He's a bit better then Mike Miller. Relax.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Dude he's almost done. He's a bit better then Mike Miller. Relax.
No he's not. He was playing on a bad ankle most of the season but Miami is the perfect spot for him where he can come off the bench and he'll have a lot of open threes with Lebron and Wade driving. Dude's still an amazing 3 point shooter.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:17 AM
MorriPage

The words "parity" and "National Basketball Association" don't belong in the same sentence unless "There is no" comes before "parity" and "in the" comes before "National Basketball Association".

P.S.: I apologize for the gratuitous use of quotations. It's my favourite form of punctuation.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
No he's not. He was playing on a bad ankle most of the season but Miami is the perfect spot for him where he can come off the bench and he'll have a lot of open threes with Lebron and Wade driving. Dude's still an amazing 3 point shooter.
A spot up 37, 3 pt. shooter who has not more athleticism and shot 30% from 3 in the playoffs. Real threat there.

I'm not knocking his career thus far and he's still a very capable shooter, probably the best of all time. But he's no longer some superstar playing for the Bucks, Sonics or even early on with the Celtics. He's just a 1 dimensional 3 point shooter and an amazing free throw shooter.

Closed Thread