HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v20: off-season '12| In: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas, Ross...Out: J Johnson, Bayless

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
Can someone please explain how Lowry is an upgrade over Jose? I am genuinely asking because I don't know.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Can someone please explain how Lowry is an upgrade over Jose? I am genuinely asking because I don't know.
Well for one he's younger, and for another he's MUCH, MUCH better defensively. Also a lot more physical.

07-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well for one he's younger, and for another he's MUCH, MUCH better defensively. Also a lot more physical.
Is he more athletic and quicker also?

Old
07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Another terrible move by BC. Lowry is a free agent in the summer of 2014. We've sure had a good history convincing free agents to come here. It's basically a 2 year rental for a team that's not ready to win more than 30-35 Gs. It's giving up a future lottery for a player who's not top 10 at his position. It's a total panic move by a GM who needs to make the playoffs or else he gets fired. I'm just counting down the days until we get this clown out and a young Alex Anthoupoulos type can clean up this mess and rebuild

Old
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Quote:
also before his injury he was averaging (I thin 16 6 and 6)

Old
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Yes. He's practically an upgrade in everything defensively and athletically.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP of West Hollywd View Post
Another terrible move by BC. Lowry is a free agent in the summer of 2014. We've sure had a good history convincing free agents to come here. It's basically a 2 year rental for a team that's not ready to win more than 30-35 Gs. It's giving up a future lottery for a player who's not top 10 at his position. It's a total panic move by a GM who needs to make the playoffs or else he gets fired. I'm just counting down the days until we get this clown out and a young Alex Anthoupoulos type can clean up this mess and rebuild
we won 23 games last season with our best player injured pretty much the entire year, with a 16 game shorter season.... then add Val, now Lowry on top of it with a healthy bargs this team can win 35-40. Before lowrys injury he was defiantly a top 10 PG with ease and as of right now he's pretty close to it.

this guy was averaging nearly a triple double before his injury.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Come on, really? Two year rental? If it were three years it would be ok? There are plenty of reasons to dislike BC, but this isn't one of them.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
better athlete, better defender (ie can actually defend, and defend well), surprisingly good rebounder for a PG. his assist totals have ticked upward every year (he's averaged better than 6.5 assists per game for the last 2 years), just as good of a 3-point shooter. About the only places where Calderon is clearly superior are as a passer (though really it's basically comparing a pretty good passing PG in Lowry to an elite one in Calderon) and a far better FT shooter.

Quote:
Very much so, yes.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

IF we can't find a suitor for Jose through trade and decide to amnesty him, AND can't find a legit starting 3 through trade (I'd like Gay or Iggy but unrealistic IMO), what would everyone thing of signing Andrei Kirilenko..provided he wasn't asking for something ridiculous?

1. Kyle Lowry/Jerryd Bayless
2. DeMar DeRozan/Terrence Ross
3. Andrei Kirilenko/Landry Fields/James Johnson
4. Andrea Bargnani/Ed Davis/Amir Johnson
5. Jonas Valanciunas/Aaron Gray

That's a pretty solid lineup if you ask me.

Problem is finding a suitor for Kleiza in than scenario. Of course we could always back out of the Fields offer sheet but that could cause some problems..

EDIT: I'd really like Ilyasova, but it'd probably cost way too much.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
So excited until i heard this, I love Lowry but that is alot of risk.

Collangelo outbid himself again, although i love Lowry and because of that I understand. I still think Collangelo should be fired.
Why would Houston give him up if he can play, or do they think Forbes has a chance to be better. Or is he just a head case they want out the door.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Since when did AA get results? Last time I checked the Jays were merely a .500 team while AA has been here. Never playoffs!

Old
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Nazem Bozak

Lowry in 2 years is going to want a nice contract, were a team that can give it to him. I don't see why people are hating on this deal, the highest our pick will probably be next year is 11-15 in a weak draft class and we still have all our trade bait pieces still here....

Old
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

lowry would be awesome. do we know the full trade yet guyz

Old
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Why would Houston give him up if he can play, or do they think Forbes has a chance to be better. Or is he just a head case they want out the door.
He had a fallout with management. He wanted more minutes but he just wasn't getting them with Dragic in the scene. It's not like Houston is just getting Forbes though, they're getting a first round pick that is likely lottery-mid.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I personally like the deal quite a bit. Great defender/hustler/competitor. Has Calderon beat in a lot of different departments.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Prophet Kadri

Lowry can really run the fastbreak, thats the biggest effect he will have on the team.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Soundwave

I used to be a Raptors fan but honestly the franchise has become such a joke.

Taking Bargnani over Aldridge and Joey Graham over Danny Granger (on top of the Araujo waste of a pick) basically set the franchise back so far.

I don't even know what Colangelo is even doing anymore. Hopefully Valanciunas works out big time otherwise I think they'll be mired in mediocrity for a long time to come.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

The more I think about it, what the HELL is Houston doing?

They get rid of Lowry, lose Dragic to free agency, and sign Jeremy Lin to an offer sheet...the same Lin who the Rockets WAIVED last season.

What if the Knicks match the offer sheet, which is clearly what they intend to do..?

Who will be the Rockets starting PG? Gary Forbes? Earl Boykins?

Old
07-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

Quote:

They get rid of Lowry, lose Dragic to free agency, and sign Jeremy Lin to an offer sheet...the same Lin who the Rockets WAIVED last season.

What if the Knicks match the offer sheet, which is clearly what they intend to do..?

Well, if Toronto amnesties Calderon they have an option there.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Well, if Toronto amnesties Calderon they have an option there.
ship calderon for jeremy lamb

Old
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

they can pull Ramon Sessions off the pile of forgotten UFA guards. Plus I think they have undrafted FA Scott Machado (led NCAA in assists last year) in camp too. and hey, Forbes has played some PG

It's still dumb on their part. Go from 2 quality PGs to none and all they have to show for it on the roster is Forbes.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I used to be a Raptors fan but honestly the franchise has become such a joke.

Taking Bargnani over Aldridge and Joey Graham over Danny Granger (on top of the Araujo waste of a pick) basically set the franchise back so far.

I don't even know what Colangelo is even doing anymore. Hopefully Valanciunas works out big time otherwise I think they'll be mired in mediocrity for a long time to come.
Lol first of all Colangelo wasn't responsible for those draft selections except Bargs, who is a well above average nbaer.

Secondly good thing you held the other 8 teams who passed on granger to draft bags of **** as well.

BC is doing his best to put together a young team with talent that can grow together while adding young pieces through the draft an retaining cap flexibility to control the players he has and to hopefully convince a star or budding one to make Toronto his home in the future.

You can completely turn around a franchise in one offseason in the NBA.

Honestly you're so I'll informed that the Raptors don't really need you as a fan.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
He's a much, much, much, much better defender. He's one of the better (top-3) defenders at the point-guard position. He's also a much better rebounder and, unlike Calderon, actually breaks the defense down instead of standing at the top of the 3-point arch for 20 seconds. Lowry is also a very good 3-point shooter, but so is Calderon. It's not like Lowry can't pass either, he's actually a very good passer, but Jose is one of the best passers in the NBA.

No disrespect to Jose, but Lowry is far-and-away the better player.

Oh, and I love this trade, for what it's worth.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Well I'm converting to the Leafs and boycotting the Raps until Colangelo is fired. So get used to me.

Closed Thread