HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Matt Carle signs for 6 years, $5.5 million cap hit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 12:31 AM
  #76
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy99 View Post
So you see no risk in signing underachieving subpar players to long term contracts at big dollars?
Matt Carle isn't that. He did well playing top pairing minutes and got payed at market value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboy99 View Post
The last time I checked, Tampa is not a top revenue producer who can afford to make signing mistakes like the Rangers or Leafs.




Why don't you let us worry about our team, and you go worry about yours.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:18 AM
  #77
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies
 
The Yzerplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Oh god...

I was anxiously waiting to see who overpays Carle... and it was us

This is 2008 all over again. But this time nobody is going to take that contract, we're stuck with him until he's 33 years old.

The Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:23 AM
  #78
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 50
Love the signing! Sure, we overpayed a bit but then again we didn't have to give up any assets via trade and when the cap limit goes up by over $7 million and you have over $13 million cap space to sign two players why the hell not?!

Carle had the opportunity to learn from one of the best in the game (Pronger) and last year he showed everybody he's solid on his own. He has a good pass (2nd in assists among Flyers' defensemen), shoots a lot (1st in SOG), blocks shots (1st) and eats a ton of minutes (1st in TOI/G).

Good contract, too. Six years, that means he'll be 34 when the contract runs out. Perfect.

Yzerman's mindgames, though... thank god it's (probably) over. For now.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:32 AM
  #79
HedMonster 77
Registered User
 
HedMonster 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
i don't understand all that *****ing about Wideman and Carle. I think GMs and coaches understand a bit more about hockey than the guys here, so have a little faith. Also is not for us to judge what teams pay for players - its the owners and GMs that have to worry about that.

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:25 AM
  #80
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 50
Quote:
"We're pretty excited," Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. "He's a top-four defenseman that plays in all situations. He skates well. He moves the puck well. He's been very durable, so we think he's a much-needed player into our defensive group." (...)

"I've watched him closely for the last two years," Yzerman said. "We think his all-around play has really evolved. We think we really understand what he is."

"I think I'm a solid two-way defenseman that can play both ends of the ice," Carle said, "an effective shot blocker who can make some plays on the power play. But I'm only 27. I think I have room to grow and get better."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...or-six/1238793

Quote:
"I'm really excited, the organization has done a complete 180-degree since I was there the last time and it starts at the top with ownership and management with Steve Yzerman,'' Carle said. "It seems like they have pretty much the same core with a lot of new pieces and I can't wait to be a part of it for the next six years.'' (...)

"I feel I can play a solid two-way style of game that can move the puck, and with the forwards in the top six they have, it's pretty exciting to think about getting the puck into their hands,'' Carle said. "And I like to jump into the play when the time is right, so I hope I can contribute.''
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/sports/20...ite-ar-423971/

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:09 AM
  #81
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,009
vCash: 500
What's odd is that you could say we 're-signed' Carle.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:23 AM
  #82
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,159
vCash: 500
why was he dealt in the first place? this is his second stint with the team correct? does he play the right side? or left side?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:43 AM
  #83
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
why was he dealt in the first place? this is his second stint with the team correct? does he play the right side? or left side?
Koules and Barrie didn't have the money to let him develop into what his contract was paying him.

IIRC, we got Eminger and Downie out of the deal with Philly.

Left handed shot, but I don't know how limited he is on one side or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
i don't understand all that *****ing about Wideman and Carle. I think GMs and coaches understand a bit more about hockey than the guys here, so have a little faith. Also is not for us to judge what teams pay for players - its the owners and GMs that have to worry about that.
Part of the *****ing about Wideman was that he was signed before free agency had begun, and hypothetically should have gone for less than what he got, but that's the Cheetos encrusted thumb of Jay Feaster for you.

I would disagree with you on it being the owners and GMs that have to worry about what players are paid. As fans, we hold a stake in how our team does (through ticket sales, and just as a matter of pride of supporting a winner) having bad contracts (which I don't think Carle's is) gets percieved as hampering the future.

Back to the Calgary comparisons. Feaster's got the Flames in a spot where it'll take them a long time to get out from under the contracts he's signed the team to. They should have probably sold off in 2010, but now they've got 11 players on their roster with some form of NTC-to-NMC clause. Including their top 5 paid defensemen. They're the 3rd highest paid team ATM, but they're probably not going very far the next few years.

If I can address the 'Carle got a bad contract crowd'. Who was the Lightning's top paid defenseman before Carle? The answer is Victor Hedman at 4m/yr. Is Hedman the #1 defenseman? Is Hedman a #1 defenseman?

I know I'm implying that Carle is our #1 defenseman, but you can't upgrade the defense without breaking a few logic eggs.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-05-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:59 AM
  #84
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y
 
PhysicalGraffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Good signing based on what was left of D-men, but way too much money just to get him here.

I was happy to see him come here, just hoped we didn't pay him as much. It's not even, oh we have this much cap room and what not, it's just an overpayment is just that.

He won't be here that whole contract that's for sure.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:06 AM
  #85
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
Good signing based on what was left of D-men, but way too much money just to get him here.

I was happy to see him come here, just hoped we didn't pay him as much. It's not even, oh we have this much cap room and what not, it's just an overpayment is just that.

He won't be here that whole contract that's for sure.
Traded in November to Colorado I'm sure.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:10 AM
  #86
HedMonster 77
Registered User
 
HedMonster 77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
If SY signed Carle for 6 years, then he intends to keep him in TB for 6 years.
If you Look at Carle and Wideman contracts, separately from the teams cap, roster and the current league situation they are not bad

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:12 AM
  #87
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,709
vCash: 500
Would have prefered Boumweester but we would have had to trade some assets... I'm fine with this

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:29 AM
  #88
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Would have prefered Boumweester but we would have had to trade some assets... I'm fine with this
I've never been that impressed with J-Bo.

and now a helpful guide to pronounce our new re-signing.


Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:08 AM
  #89
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Not a fan of this signing, we are on the wrong side of the ledger in terms of GA and we sign a defenseman who added assists as totals on a team with an offensive push. A stay at home defenseman who can play a shut down defense should have been the choice at 5.5M, not a defenseman who main assests are in the transitional game. Understood that goaltending was a big problem but a matador defense and gapless control is still a concern on defense and Carle IMO doesn't improve these concerns.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:27 AM
  #90
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
I don't get everyone's freaking out about it being 6 years. The dude's 27 and we'll be 33/34 when it's done. Brewer is that age and still playing top pair minutes. We didn't give out a 10+ year deal and yes the cap hits high but not crippling. Salo's hits only 2 years, Ohlunds will come off if he retires and Brewer/MSL/Malone will be retired before the 6 years so we'll have plenty of room for resignings and more additions.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:38 AM
  #91
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
Not a fan of this signing, we are on the wrong side of the ledger in terms of GA and we sign a defenseman who added assists as totals on a team with an offensive push. A stay at home defenseman who can play a shut down defense should have been the choice at 5.5M, not a defenseman who main assests are in the transitional game. Understood that goaltending was a big problem but a matador defense and gapless control is still a concern on defense and Carle IMO doesn't improve these concerns.
I really don't get your complaint. You want your 5.5 Mil D to just be a shut down guy? Shut down D are important but you do have to get the puck out of your own end and make plays to your fowards. Most shut down D need a puck mover to play with and we didnt have one until now with Carle. Shut down D also don't make 5.5 either and with our offense Carle can add more assists.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
  #92
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
Not a fan of this signing, we are on the wrong side of the ledger in terms of GA and we sign a defenseman who added assists as totals on a team with an offensive push. A stay at home defenseman who can play a shut down defense should have been the choice at 5.5M, not a defenseman who main assests are in the transitional game. Understood that goaltending was a big problem but a matador defense and gapless control is still a concern on defense and Carle IMO doesn't improve these concerns.
Adding a PMD / defenseman with good puck handling abilities = more time of puck possession = less time in the defensive zone. Defense by offense / possession so to speak.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
  #93
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Yeah...mostly Philly fans laughing their butts off because we signed him and they didn't. The guy only produced points and never had a negative +/- in all his years there - including one season where he was +30. I don't think anyone on our D was a positive last year.

Might have overpaid a bit, yes, but it was the best out there after Suter. Welcome back to Tampa Matt.
Just pointing out that the years in which he was + 30 and + 19 he was paired with Chris Pronger, on very strong Flyers teams.

Tony Clifton Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  #94
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Love the signing! Sure, we overpayed a bit but then again we didn't have to give up any assets via trade and when the cap limit goes up by over $7 million and you have over $13 million cap space to sign two players why the hell not?!

Carle had the opportunity to learn from one of the best in the game (Pronger) and last year he showed everybody he's solid on his own. He has a good pass (2nd in assists among Flyers' defensemen), shoots a lot (1st in SOG), blocks shots (1st) and eats a ton of minutes (1st in TOI/G).

Good contract, too. Six years, that means he'll be 34 when the contract runs out. Perfect.

Yzerman's mindgames, though... thank god it's (probably) over. For now.
Here are some pros and cons for Carle:

Pros:
Good vision and passing, offensive awareness, very smart pinches, minute muncher, good shot blocker, durable.

Cons:
Shot is extremely weak, soft as butter(often refuses to take a hit to make a play), a lot of giveaways, Can't run a PP (might not be as much of a problem for you guys since all he has to do is pass to Stamkos). Mediocre speed for a PMD

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  #95
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
I think one of the lesser known benefits of getting Carle is that he can take some of the load of Brewer. We saw towards the end if last year that he was fatigued from being the only top guy we had when Victor was out. With Carle and Salo, the load kind of gets eased off of him a bit.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  #96
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
I can accept the hate on the main board (13 year old school girls are always going to moan , as are bitter old men that act like them) but I do not understand some Bolts fans negative attitude.

We needed a top 4 D, and the going rate in FA this year for a PMD is $5m x 5 minimum (Detroit, Colorado were offering that) so even if some think it is "over paying'" at most it is $0.5m and 1 year.

The alternative would be to wait and pick up scraps (another 5/6/7), trade and have to give up a significant assets, or do nothing and miss the playoffs again.

The moves this off season has made Bolts a much better team without the need to strip the Crunch, or lose 2013 draft picks.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:08 AM
  #97
Bolto
?
 
Bolto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
I can accept the hate on the main board (13 year old school girls are always going to moan , as are bitter old men that act like them) but I do not understand some Bolts fans negative attitude.

We needed a top 4 D, and the going rate in FA this year for a PMD is $5m x 5 minimum (Detroit, Colorado were offering that) so even if some think it is "over paying'" at most it is $0.5m and 1 year.

The alternative would be to wait and pick up scraps (another 5/6/7), trade and have to give up a significant assets, or do nothing and miss the playoffs again.

The moves this off season has made Bolts a much better team without the need to strip the Crunch, or lose 2013 draft picks.
I agree couldn't have said it better myself.

Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
  #98
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Truth be told, I don't like the term. A caphit of 5.5 is nothing with what the current salary cap is, but 6yrs is a long time. I was leaning more towards another Salo-type signing, like maybe 2yrs of Rozsival. Not that Rozsival is a better Dman(he isn't), but he could have probably been had on a more flexible contract.

That said, I still think it was a good signing. You have to take what you can get, and there weren't many options available.

I like to compare this to if we had traded for Paul Martin. I think there were quite a few of us who were ok with the idea of trading for Paul Martin at one point. Carle and Martin are very similar players. When Martin's contract (of 5mil a yr) is up in 3 yrs he'll be 34, when Carle's contract is up he'll be 33. Basically we are paying an extra 500k a yr (less than an NHL minimum contract) for the convenience of not having to trade away any assets. When you look at it that way, it's a pretty good deal.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
  #99
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Truth be told, I don't like the term. A caphit of 5.5 is nothing with what the current salary cap is, but 6yrs is a long time. I was leaning more towards another Salo-type signing, like maybe 2yrs of Rozsival. Not that Rozsival is a better Dman(he isn't), but he could have probably been had on a more flexible contract.

That said, I still think it was a good signing. You have to take what you can get, and there weren't many options available.

I like to compare this to if we had traded for Paul Martin. I think there were quite a few of us who were ok with the idea of trading for Paul Martin at one point. Carle and Martin are very similar players. When Martin's contract (of 5mil a yr) is up in 3 yrs he'll be 34, when Carle's contract is up he'll be 33. Basically we are paying an extra 500k a yr (less than an NHL minimum contract) for the convenience of not having to trade away any assets. When you look at it that way, it's a pretty good deal.
I agree, the term is a bit much. It's Yzerman's longest deal, isn't it? We signed this older guy to a longer term deal than a top 3 forward in the entire league. Seems odd if you think of it that way. I do like your comparison of the 500k a year to not trade assets. Makes me feel better.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
  #100
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
a new era
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,405
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/#!/teddypurcell16
Quote:
Looking fwd to the 1st few meals of the year on @mattcarle25!Congrats on the big deal.Not lookin fwd to you and @NateThompson44 bromance tho

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.