HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Problem with AHL Schedule

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2005, 08:27 PM
KoopsKings

vCash: 500
Problem with AHL Schedule

I live in the Hamilton area, and i love hockey, so i figured with the lack of nhl id be going to a lot of bulldogs games. but i dont. Its not the prices, its not the times, or days... its the schedule.

I would route for my bulldogs, but I look at the schedule and I see Edmonton 12 times, st.johns 12 times, manitoba 12 times, lots of rochester, chicago... etc There is another conference isnt there?? I happen to be a kings fan, and noticing there prospects are having one hell of a year... we dont play them once, hartford another team doing well, dont play them either, wilkes barre... only in town once. I think the schedulers change their ways. I dont want to watch manitoba on friday then again on sunday, knowing they are in town another 4 times. It just seems like we are playing the same 10 teams, its ridiculous. I dont know if the other teams are like that in the other conference but here all they play is eachother.

Old
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Hockeyfan_86

Send a message via MSN to Hockeyfan_86
I agree, its a gongshow! I guess it has more to do with travel arrangements and location than anything. Still, pretty lame to not play a team in your league once in a season.

Old
01-07-2005, 07:26 AM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Yep... it's the same with the Barons. This season we don't play anyone outside of the Western Conference. It seems kind of stupid, we play teams like Utah, San Antonio and St. John's a bunch of times, but we can't play teams like Albany or Hartford or WBS, that are alot closer, even once. I understand the cost part of it, but a couple games w/ some good teams like that would be nice.

Old
01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
Yep... it's the same with the Barons. This season we don't play anyone outside of the Western Conference. It seems kind of stupid, we play teams like Utah, San Antonio and St. John's a bunch of times, but we can't play teams like Albany or Hartford or WBS, that are alot closer, even once. I understand the cost part of it, but a couple games w/ some good teams like that would be nice.
Agreed

Old
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
sabrefan27

Teams like Worcester and Lowell spend about 2 or 3 nights per season in a hotel. While teams in the Western Conference have to regularly. The "New England Cartel" has been getting their way with the schedule far too long. It needs to change.

Old
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Teams like Worcester and Lowell spend about 2 or 3 nights per season in a hotel. While teams in the Western Conference have to regularly. The "New England Cartel" has been getting their way with the schedule far too long. It needs to change.
It will change eventually...teams in the west won't be able to compete financially and will begin to move back toward the east.

Old
01-10-2005, 03:15 PM
KH1

Agreed. I am very sick of seeing the same 4 or 5 teams seemingly every night.

Also, does it bother anybody else that a team (well, Bridgeport at least--I don't really know about the other teams) will play 2 games in 2 nights but then not play again for a week? Seems silly to me.

Old
01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Thornton97

It is all about economics; check attendence levels at AHL mid-week games. It is much, much lower than weekend games. And while that does tend to stink, it means that most teams will be playing their three-games-a-week over a three day period (Friday, Saturday & Sunday).

Old
01-10-2005, 08:59 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
There are 3 teams Manitoba have never played in the AHL... it's retarded. Can't remember which 3 it is...

Old
01-11-2005, 07:56 AM
pelts35.com

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways. You can't expect low ticket prices on one hand and then expect teams to travel all over the country on the other.

One of the attractions of minor league hockey is that it is affordable entertainment where the majority of the tickets are under $20. That being said the teams don't make enough revenue to justify a large travel budget.

Thornton is also correct in that attendance for Fri, Sat, Sun games is significantly higher than weeknight games. The league has to do everything it can to maximize ticket sales.

I do agree that it gets boring to see the same teams so often. Take Utah for example, they have a number of games where they play the same team on consecutive nights (I am going there for a 4 game homestand in March and will see only 2 teams). Unfortunately, it's the reality of the league.

Old
01-11-2005, 08:41 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Manitoba only has 1 section of seats under $20... not a vast selection there...

but honestly, playing each team at least once in a season isn't much to ask. It's the same way in the NHL. Vancouver only played Tampa once last season and I'm sure there were others like that too.

Old
01-11-2005, 09:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
Manitoba only has 1 section of seats under $20... not a vast selection there...

but honestly, playing each team at least once in a season isn't much to ask. It's the same way in the NHL. Vancouver only played Tampa once last season and I'm sure there were others like that too.
In USD, Moose tickets are under $20. Still, it's a far cry from the $50-80 per ticket that NHL clubs make for lower level seats. Not to mention that most NHL arenas bring in well over 12,000 per game when the AHL games bring in under 7,000. That also doesn't include the big money that NHL arenas make for the corporate luxury suites.

That being said, it is too much to ask to play each team to play each other once per season. Teams don't have the travel budgets to do it.

Maybe it was a better situation when there were two AAA leagues, with the AHL primarily made of of teams in the northeast and the IHL primarily made up of teams in the midwest and west?

Closed Thread