HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Nonis already Leafs' de facto GM?

Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 AM
leafspyinottawa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
See point 3.

Many people do work over their phones. More detailed work than this. With smartphones, the things you can do on your phone are endless.

Also, when you already have a detailed plan, you don't need to do much of anything on the actual day. If you have researched your car for a month, set out the exact ranking of which cars you prefer, and how much you will pay for each one, and it is really only a matter of telling the dealer "this is what I will pay", you could do it over the phone/text if you really wanted to.

Hell, there's probably an app for it.

Nonis could text a quick "McClement, 2 years, 3 mil, as we discussed" and Burke says "yes", mid-parade. Done. That doesn't mean Nonis decided. It was all worked out before with Burke, and all that was needed was confirmation.

Also, if Toronto is the destination that the free agent wants to go to or we are offering the most money, something tells me they would wait an hour for Burke to get back from honouring his dead son if it made that much of a difference.
lol
Awesome!

leafspyinottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
why should we expect burke to be in the office during big days like july 1?

1. he believes the christmas trade deadline is stressful for the players so he makes his own deadline.

2. he believes the march trade deadline date is stressful for the players and said last season he is considering making his own season trade deadline.

3. he has demeaned the draft in the past by saying our draft day is actually on july 1.

4. this year he said july 1 is too dangerous for GMs.

5. he has essentially handcuffed the the organization on free agent day by refusing to discuss value and term that the rest of the industry accepts when trying to pickup substantial UFA's.

this guy has grown too complacent after his cup win in ANH and lacks the fire in the belly to be the kind of activist ballsy GM we need

burke is afraid to make mistakes or take risks and therefore is afraid to be a GM

let him go pretend hes the mayor and sit in a parade or pretend he is PM and go see troops in afghanistan

we need a GM with guts who is interested in building a winning hockey team

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post

1. he believes the christmas trade deadline is stressful for the players so he makes his own deadline.

2. he believes the march trade deadline date is stressful for the players and said last season he is considering making his own season trade deadline.

3. he has demeaned the draft in the past by saying our draft day is actually on july 1.

5. he has essentially handcuffed the the organization on free agent day by refusing to discuss value and term that the rest of the industry accepts when trying to pickup substantial UFA's.

this guy has grown too complacent after his cup win in ANH and lacks the fire in the belly to be the kind of activist ballsy GM we need

burke is afraid to make mistakes or take risks and therefore is afraid to be a GM

let him go pretend hes the mayor and sit in a parade or pretend he is PM and go see troops in afghanistan

You best not be against the Kessel trade...

Seriously, people are now saying that he's afraid to take risks? How much will people make up just to get mad at Burke? All anyone ever does here is lambast him for the risks he's taken because they haven't all worked out (UFA signings, mostly).

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:

I would say based on your 5 points alone that he is in fact the opposite of what I bolded.

Only food your gonna get from me though....

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
You best not be against the Kessel trade...

Seriously, people are now saying that he's afraid to take risks? How much will people make up just to get mad at Burke? All anyone ever does here is lambast him for the risks he's taken because they haven't all worked out (UFA signings, mostly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I would say based on your 5 points alone that he is in fact the opposite of what I bolded.

Only food your gonna get from me though....
all burke's silly little personal deadlines and rules of conduct on contracts are concocted to avoid putting himself on the spot... we got him here to make important hockey decisions and expected him to have the balls make these calls whatever day they came up

he's now so traumatized by the kessel trade he's like a eunuch

Old
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Then there are those who believe that Burke doesn't.
Which just shows that they don't know squat.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
colchar

Quote:

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
LeafsTFC

Everyone do yourselves a favour and don't read the comments on the attached G&M article. I'm baffled at how stupid and out-of-touch with the current situation of the Leafs most of the people posting over there are.

LeafsTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:55 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I think its sad that our American GM is making huge efforts to support and take part in things that are important to Canadians and Torontonians yet gets blasted for it.

Did the mayor show up for Pride or was he busy trying to steal more land from taxpayers?
He was away fishing for the weekend.

Not kidding, he was asked if he was participating in the parade on TSN 1050 on Friday afternoon, and he said he would be out town fishing that weekend.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post

1. Pride parade did not take up the whole day.
2. These things called cell-phones exist.
3. If anybody thinks GMs go into free agency without a set plan, which players they want to target and prices and terms they will pay, they know nothing about hockey.
4. We knew we weren't going to be very active this July 1st.
5. We have countless individuals with GM or management experience who can do the busy work. That doesn't mean they are making the decisions.
6. It is for his dead freaking son.

Leaf fans and media make me want to cry at human stupidity sometimes.
I agree with everything you said.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
all burke's silly little personal deadlines and rules of conduct on contracts are concocted to avoid putting himself on the spot... we got him here to make important hockey decisions and expected him to have the balls make these calls whatever day they came up

he's now so traumatized by the kessel trade he's like a eunuch
Yep, the Phaneuf, Giguere, Kaberle, Versteeg, Beauchemin, and Schenn trades (all of which came after the Kessel deal) show just how gun-shy our GM is about making moves.

I can't think of a single roster that has seen more turn-over over the past few years as Toronto. Burke came in here and completely revamped the roster, removed everyone and rebuilt the look of the franchise.

But don't let facts stand in your way, you're right, he's afraid to make moves.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
This

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
For the most part I agree with your points about having a plan ready well before July 1. That said, this point people make about "Burke has a cell phone" is absolute nonsense.

Have you ever tried to get serious work done remotely via telephone? I have. And it doesn't work.

The idea that, should Burke need to do something, he could just slip away from a gigantic parade and talk specifics about contracts on a cell phone, with no files or documents in front of him, is completely ridiculous. Would you buy a car over the phone? Of course not. So why would you think Brian Burke is going to sign free agents on a cell phone from a corner in downtown Toronto?
I will admit that Burke doesnt need to be sitting in his office on July 1 just for appearances, but to argue that he could sneak off from a street festival and get anything tangible done via telephone is simply naive.
You're out to lunch pal, this wasn't some gigantic parade or street festival in the corner of downtown Toronto, he marched in it to honour his late son who was gay...I don't think you understand that. And he wasn't there just for appearances either, it was an important cause for him and for you to assume he wasn't prepared is insane, you can't relate your experiences to an NHL GM.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:11 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Didn't read the article after the first couple of paragraphs to know that the article was retarded. His gay son just died, the pride parade is pretty big in toronto why are people getting so angry? If a player wanted to be in toronto he isn't going to say no because burke was at the parade. + he has a cell phone.... What's the difference?

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

People just don't get it. We're not his bosses, we don't sign his cheques. MLSE does.

You would have to assume, that the people who he answers to, gave this the okay. In other words, those that he answers to are fine with it, we were smart on July 1st, and didn't make any mistakes. He did a great job, and represented this organization with class, at an important event for a large group of people in the city of Toronto.

Kudos. In case you're one of many ignoring EVERYTHING positive (and I know there are a ton of you), he's been hard at work since the end of that parade.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
IBeL13f

Has anyone proposed yet that maybe having a good samaritan for a GM could be an advantage for us?

Anyone who wouldn't sign with us because of Burke's being at the Pride Parade is the kind of player we wouldn't want to sign with us in the first place. Burke expects every member of this franchise to be giving back to the community, and that starts with his example.

He marched to give back to his community and to honour his son, and by virtue of being a human being, he has earned the right to do that.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
tacoburrito

Quote:
Has anyone proposed yet that maybe having a good samaritan for a GM could be an advantage for us?

Anyone who wouldn't sign with us because of Burke's being at the Pride Parade is the kind of player we wouldn't want to sign with us in the first place. Burke expects every member of this franchise to be giving back to the community, and that starts with his example.

He marched to give back to his community and to honour his son, and by virtue of being a human being, he has earned the right to do that.
its so deflating to see every time he does something hes getting run through the ringer. i can just imagine what it looks like to potential players looking from the outside.
The media is so high on the smell of their own farts they cant realize they are whats wrong in this city.
im sure ill get some posts like using media ect but thats how i feel.

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:26 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

yeah trad
Quote:
Yep, the Phaneuf, Giguere, Kaberle, Versteeg, Beauchemin, and Schenn trades (all of which came after the Kessel deal) show just how gun-shy our GM is about making moves.

I can't think of a single roster that has seen more turn-over over the past few years as Toronto. Burke came in here and completely revamped the roster, removed everyone and rebuilt the look of the franchise.

But don't let facts stand in your way, you're right, he's afraid to make moves.

gotta admit shipping out jamal mayers and jason blake was GUTSY

right now burkie looks like rocky after he watched drago kill his close friend apollo creed

c'mon champ, what happened to ya?

maybe burke should go do his annual fishing and hunting trip in krasnoyarksk this summer, maybe if he holed up there he'd find that eye of the tiger again

Old
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
yeah trad

gotta admit shipping out jamal mayers and jason blake was GUTSY

right now burkie looks like rocky after he watched drago kill his close friend apollo creed

c'mon champ, what happened to ya?

maybe burke should go do his annual fishing and hunting trip in krasnoyarksk this summer, maybe if he holed up there he'd find that eye of the tiger again
So your complaint is that when he trades lately, he moves out bad pieces and brings in better ones?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
So your complaint is that when he trades lately, he moves out bad pieces and brings in better ones?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:30 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Right back atcha

Old
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Medic

Quote:

Exactly! I'm also amazed that no one sees that the self imposed trade rules that Burke puts in are also an advantage to attracting and retaining quality players.

Amazingly, players might actually LIKE the idea of not having to worry about being traded and having to move their families one month before Christmas. Or actually having the NTC they asked for be honoured by the team.

Nah, I'm sure they don't want to be treated with respect and professionalism like that. (Do I even need the ?!)

On another note, I love how the media gos about digging into this team with constant articles about how bad the management is, the team and the coaching is, call players family members to pester them about injuries and then turn around and write more articles about how no one wants to come play in the "fish bowl" (that they made themselves).

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
topched

I love how flavour of the week the "clown" "leaf fans" are.

A month ago there was so many threads all filled with "Burkes all about the spotlight he should stop doing interviews and yapping about issues and focus on improving this ****** roster"

Now: "Burkes a coward and operates on his own deadlines so he can hide and hasn't done a thing this offseason"

There's a good contingent of you that really need to get a grip. Alot of us have legitimate gripes with Burke or certain players on this team, but at least we're even keeled and have a clue how to present our arguments.

Did one of you actually try to make the argument that Burke makes self imposed deadlines so that he can stay out of the spotlight? If anything that shows Burke has one of the most against the grain management styles in the NHL and isn't afraid to take heat (which apparantly he gets if he makes or doesn't make moves)

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:20 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post

Exactly! I'm also amazed that no one sees that the self imposed trade rules that Burke puts in are also an advantage to attracting and retaining quality players.

Amazingly, players might actually LIKE the idea of not having to worry about being traded and having to move their families one month before Christmas. Or actually having the NTC they asked for be honoured by the team.

Nah, I'm sure they don't want to be treated with respect and professionalism like that. (Do I even need the ?!)

On another note, I love how the media gos about digging into this team with constant articles about how bad the management is, the team and the coaching is, call players family members to pester them about injuries and then turn around and write more articles about how no one wants to come play in the "fish bowl" (that they made themselves).
just curious, since you are buying the burke rhetoric hook line and sinker...

can you name a single player with the leafs or otherwise who has publicly commented on burke's asinine self imposed trade deadline?

i know burke says some bruins told him they think its great .... have you ever heard anyone say they signed here because of it or wanted to come here because of it?

do you think parise and suter when they discussed going to the wild spent one second on canvassing whether the wild would impose a "burke deadline"?

after you google this and find nothing, can you explain how the other 29 teams still attract talent by adhering only to the nhl imposed deadline?

nothing but burke blarney

Old
07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Vexxed14

And my list of silence grows longer

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote