Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is GMJN doing?

Old
07-05-2012, 02:03 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
How is GMJN doing?

I don't know alot about the team or where the direction is, but some of his signings this past week had me scratching my head a bit. I was wondering what the a actual stars fans thought.

I know the common thought was that he wanted to shake up the core and add new leadership as well as younger guys, but instead he got older.

Just thought I'd ask to see if there was some kind of explanation and how you guys felt about it.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:36 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

vCash: 500
The younger guys are already in the system, they just aren't NHL ready yet. He's just buying time while trying to remain competitive with as little commitment as possible.

The general feeling around here is that he's doing what he should be doing.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:23 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Before this offseason flurry I thought he was pretty meh. He did a great job sticking to a clear plan for the future and addressed immediate needs as well.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I don't know alot about the team or where the direction is, but some of his signings this past week had me scratching my head a bit. I was wondering what the a actual stars fans thought.

I know the common thought was that he wanted to shake up the core and add new leadership as well as younger guys, but instead he got older.

Just thought I'd ask to see if there was some kind of explanation and how you guys felt about it.
I think he's doing well, we can rebuild while staying competitive.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:53 AM
BeaverSports

Over his whole tenure, I've been fairly critical of the job he's done, but at this point in this offseason I like the direction Nieuwendyk has taken for the Stars. He's brought in some skill on short-term deals which does a few things for the Stars...

A) It allows the young players to develop in the AHL and take on roles when they are ready to play.
B) It keeps those players hungry because they're either playing for a contract or looking to retire having some success in their final years.
C) It gives the Stars a lot of flexibility for stronger free agent crops and doesn't tie them up long-term if the new CBA changes the way teams operate beyond this season.

Obviously I'd be much happier if I was a Wild fan right now to have the high-end marketable star players tied up, but I don't think that was going to be a reality this time around. Instead, the Stars can make the playoffs, build respectability, and add pieces in future years.

Moving forward, I'd like to see Nieuwendyk address the back end a bit more as I don't believe Goligoski is going to be the No. 1 guy that some project him to be and guys like Oleksiak, Larson, etc. are going to need some time to develop. I'm comfortable with Daley, but would like to see another veteran horse or two back there.

Up front, I would like to see a physical scoring winger added somewhere down the line, though unlike others, I haven't given up hope that Morrow could bounce back and be that player with a different culture around him.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

He drafted pretty well, and this offseason has been about making sure the team can have some success while we wait for the current group of prospects to get some pro experience. The older FAs bridge the gap rather than rushing younger players/exposing them to a losing environment like say EDM has. High dollar amounts don't really matter because of the cap room the team has, and they weren't going to get Suter/Parise so they can overpay for Jagr without hurting their chances in the future or really any consequences at all.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
How is GMJN doing?

Better than Cheveldayoff

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
He's had an OK offseason. I think most of us on this board buy into his plan to use stopgaps and let our kids develop, and appreciate he's not trying to push for the #8 spot with the same leadership that failed 4 years in a row. We like that he has an eye on the future and realizes this team needs talent to compete.

That being said, he kind of sucks at trading. Though the Roy deal worked out well.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

The defense needs help but there aren't a ton of good options unless he's willing to trade away the future which he's said he won't. Our future prospects look good so I'm glad he's not trading them away. I'm disappointed both Robidas and Morrow are still here but the NTCs make moving them difficult.

I love both Whitney and Jagr as mentors for the young kids but am not thrilled about only getting Roy for Ott. I know Roy is the much better player but I would have liked the deal to somehow include a future piece like Adam coming back so if Roy goes Dallas has something more permanent for trading Ott.

I'm surprised more hasn't been done to shore up the bottom six but maybe Sceviour, Fraser or Glennie get a chance to fill those holes.

I've been very skeptical but like what he's done this offseason. We'll have to see what happens in Feb and with Lehtonen before I'm fully aboard the JN train.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
He's had an OK offseason. I think most of us on this board buy into his plan to use stopgaps and let our kids develop, and appreciate he's not trying to push for the #8 spot with the same leadership that failed 4 years in a row. We like that he has an eye on the future and realizes this team needs talent to compete.

That being said, he kind of sucks at trading. Though the Roy deal worked out well.
This. His trade values seem to be pretty low compared to other GM's around the league.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
If Roy plays a decent all around game and puts up 60+ points this season he will have won that trade in a landslide. I'd say his trading is about 50-50 at this point.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Lehtonen Trade - Won by a landslide
Goligoski Trade - Lost Easily
Ribeiro Trade - Too early to tell, but looks like a slight loss
Roy Trade - Too early to tell, but looks like a good win (could be by a landslide, or could be even)

Rest of them have been too minor to matter. He's not terrible at trades, but he's just below average IMO.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Lehtonen Trade - Won by a landslide
Goligoski Trade - Lost Easily
Ribeiro Trade - Too early to tell, but looks like a slight loss
Roy Trade - Too early to tell, but looks like a good win (could be by a landslide, or could be even)

Rest of them have been too minor to matter. He's not terrible at trades, but he's just below average IMO.
you are being absurd on 2 and 3 we have seen a season and a quarter of Neal and Goligoski on new teams and trading Ribeiro freed up 4 million dollars of real money

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
you are being absurd on 2 and 3 we have seen a season and a quarter of Neal and Goligoski on new teams and trading Ribeiro freed up 4 million dollars of real money
Pretty much every intelligent hockey fan knows that as it stands now, we got ripped in the Goose trade.

The 3rd one is too early to tell. But we all thought we could get a higher pick. Not a terrible loss, but still a loss. Who knows, though, Ribs might suck and Eakin might become an elite #3 center or something. But who knows. You could make the same argument on our 4th deal.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Pretty much every intelligent hockey fan knows that as it stands now, we got ripped in the Goose trade.
Nope. Not even close. The trade was fine. Do you not remember how Goligoski played right after the trade? He should be a 40+ point dman, and the only reason he wasn't was a franchise-worst PP that was bad for a multitude of reasons. A dman's points tend to depend on the PP, so it's not surprising he would have a horrible season with such a bad PP.

Rune Forumwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:

The 3rd one is too early to tell. But we all thought we could get a higher pick. Not a terrible loss, but still a loss. Who knows, though, Ribs might suck and Eakin might become an elite #3 center or something. But who knows. You could make the same argument on our 4th deal.
For all you know goose could score 180 points over the next 3 seasons and Neal might only rack up 60 goals, do you remember how lopsided it looked at the end of the season the trade was during

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
The defense needs help but there aren't a ton of good options unless he's willing to trade away the future which he's said he won't. Our future prospects look good so I'm glad he's not trading them away. I'm disappointed both Robidas and Morrow are still here but the NTCs make moving them difficult.

I love both Whitney and Jagr as mentors for the young kids but am not thrilled about only getting Roy for Ott. I know Roy is the much better player but I would have liked the deal to somehow include a future piece like Adam coming back so if Roy goes Dallas has something more permanent for trading Ott.

I'm surprised more hasn't been done to shore up the bottom six but maybe Sceviour, Fraser or Glennie get a chance to fill those holes.

I've been very skeptical but like what he's done this offseason. We'll have to see what happens in Feb and with Lehtonen before I'm fully aboard the JN train.
Roy was their problem child. Adam is their future. What you expect would've taken a lot more from our side to happen.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Nope. Not even close. The trade was fine. Do you not remember how Goligoski played right after the trade? He should be a 40+ point dman, and the only reason he wasn't was a franchise-worst PP that was bad for a multitude of reasons. A dman's points tend to depend on the PP, so it's not surprising he would have a horrible season with such a bad PP.
Lol. What you two are saying is what I've been saying the whole time and I'm always in the minority.

As it stands, we got ripped. Hoping that changes though.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Loving how Goligoski gets a free ride regarding the PP's ineffectiveness around here.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Loving how Goligoski gets a free ride regarding the PP's ineffectiveness around here.
By around here I think you mean only half of the posters? Goligoski is very polarizing and I'd say about as many people criticize him as defend him. I feel the opposition is much more vocal too.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Good point, he was supposed to be brought in as its quarterback, in which case he deserves a rather large share of the praise or the blame for what that unit does.

I'm floored how people think that was a good deal. He was a 4-5 in Pittsburgh for a reason and Niskanen, if properly handled, has a similar upside. To give up a young potential 40-goal guy and Niskanen in that deal was just stupid. To say otherwise is being homerish and foolish.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Dallasman

Neal wasn't performing here and he was taking to many shifts off. He needed to go as that brings the team down and shows any younger players poor work ethic, which leads to further problems.

My issue with the trade is that we only got one piece back while giving up two. Granted, Niskanen is like a free space on the bingo card some games for teams when they play against him but GMJN should have tried to get a pick or prospect out of Pittsburgh as well in that trade.

The Lehtonen trade was a good move for obvious reasons. The guy going the other way isn't even in North American anymore! I'd say that's a major win on that trade.

Too early to tell on the other two trade but for me, I like them both as they shake up the core and get things fresh and new. I think we'll grow to like Eakin. He'll be a solid player for us. You guys will be happy with him.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Goligoski was supposed to be the PPQB, but he was rarely utilized as it. It was always Ribs. Coaching and Ribeiro were a bigger issue on the PP than Goligoski, that's undeniable.

If Gully can actually figure out a half decent PP, Goose will almost certainly score 40+ points next year barring injury.

Whitney - Roy - Jagr
Goligoski - Benn

That's what I'd like to see.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
LordHelmet

Goose had a poor year, no doubt about it. But I laugh at how the characterization of Neal and Niskanen has changed.

Neal was terrible during that season, and especially in the months leading up to that trade. But now, everyone looks back and says that Joe let go this budding 40 goal scorer.

And Niskanen? hahahahaha.. He was scapegoat #1 and all-star whipping boy around here. And now people are complaining that we let him go?

Neal and Niskanen went to a team with better ownership, management, coaching and teammates. It's no surprise that they improved.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
ScubaSteve*

Also, I would argue that you can't even really grade Joe's performance up until Gaglardi took over. His hands were almost completely tied. This is our first offseason where Joe has been allowed to operate without any constraints, and I am very pleased with the results.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote