Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing hockey in DFW

Old
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Sinner Devil

vCash: 500
Playing hockey in DFW

Hey I moved here a couple years ago from Delaware and was just wondering if anyone plays roller hockey or pickup hockey in the DFW area ( closer to Fort Worth preferred).

Hockey culture is definitely different down here but hopefully the Stars pick it up and it gains some more interest in the metroplex. Also are there any hockey bars in the area? I almost had to battle for a TV for every devils playoff game.

Sinner Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner Devil View Post
Hey I moved here a couple years ago from Delaware and was just wondering if anyone plays roller hockey or pickup hockey in the DFW area ( closer to Fort Worth preferred).

Hockey culture is definitely different down here but hopefully the Stars pick it up and it gains some more interest in the metroplex. Also are there any hockey bars in the area? I almost had to battle for a TV for every devils playoff game.
Roller hockey has dropped off over the past few years in DFW. The are indoor rinks in Arlington (Elzie Odom rec center) and Denton (Lone Star Sports) and outdoor rinks in Bedford (Bedford Boys Ranch) and Allen. It's been years since I've played roller so I don't times/prices for any of the rinks.

If you play ice there are more options. The closest rinks to Fort Worth are the Parks Mall (Arlington), Dr Pepper StarCenter (Euless), and Nytex (North Richland Hills). All of those rinks have leagues and regular pickup times.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Sinner Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Roller hockey has dropped off over the past few years in DFW. The are indoor rinks in Arlington (Elzie Odom rec center) and Denton (Lone Star Sports) and outdoor rinks in Bedford (Bedford Boys Ranch) and Allen. It's been years since I've played roller so I don't times/prices for any of the rinks.

If you play ice there are more options. The closest rinks to Fort Worth are the Parks Mall (Arlington), Dr Pepper StarCenter (Euless), and Nytex (North Richland Hills). All of those rinks have leagues and regular pickup times.
How good is the average skater in ice around here? I've never played ice but would be open to the idea... although I definitely need to work on my skating skills.. Roller I feel a lot more confident in.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
How good is the average skater in ice around here? I've never played ice but would be open to the idea... although I definitely need to work on my skating skills.. Roller I feel a lot more confident in.
I was in a similar situation as you when I came back to DFW last fall. Turns out there's pretty decent pick-up roller hockey in Allen (sounds out of the way for you) most nights. Haven't gone in a while, but I used to go out on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday nights. Typically 1 or 2 goalies (sometimes 3) and anywhere from 8-15 skaters. For an outdoor rink, I found that the puck moved really well and didn't do more damage to my wheels than sportcourt. They've got a Facebook page ("Dallas Inline Roller Hockey"). Oh, and it's free.

As far as ice goes, I've been playing in an "I" (Instructional) league in Richardson for the last few months. If you can play okay on roller, you'll definitely fit in with most local I-leagues. If you're more advanced, you could probably get away playing in a "D" league. FYI, I've found that beer league designations are pretty consistent across all of the ice rinks in the DFW area (I, D, C, etc.). Biggest transition will be the skating (I still haven't gotten completely used to it). Next thing for me is the weight of the ice puck. You have to concentrate a little more when receiving passes. The puck will hit your stick but careen off and glide away from you.

Should you decide to do the ice thing, most rinks should have an individual sign-up process and put you on a team.

Regarding hockey bars, nothing specific comes to mind. One thing to try are bars/restaurants that are close to these ice rinks. It's common for beer leaguers to hang out at a nearby pub to catch a hockey game.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Sinner Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
I was in a similar situation as you when I came back to DFW last fall. Turns out there's pretty decent pick-up roller hockey in Allen (sounds out of the way for you) most nights. Haven't gone in a while, but I used to go out on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday nights. Typically 1 or 2 goalies (sometimes 3) and anywhere from 8-15 skaters. For an outdoor rink, I found that the puck moved really well and didn't do more damage to my wheels than sportcourt. They've got a Facebook page ("Dallas Inline Roller Hockey"). Oh, and it's free.

As far as ice goes, I've been playing in an "I" (Instructional) league in Richardson for the last few months. If you can play okay on roller, you'll definitely fit in with most local I-leagues. If you're more advanced, you could probably get away playing in a "D" league. FYI, I've found that beer league designations are pretty consistent across all of the ice rinks in the DFW area (I, D, C, etc.). Biggest transition will be the skating (I still haven't gotten completely used to it). Next thing for me is the weight of the ice puck. You have to concentrate a little more when receiving passes. The puck will hit your stick but careen off and glide away from you.

Should you decide to do the ice thing, most rinks should have an individual sign-up process and put you on a team.

Regarding hockey bars, nothing specific comes to mind. One thing to try are bars/restaurants that are close to these ice rinks. It's common for beer leaguers to hang out at a nearby pub to catch a hockey game.
Awesome post! In these "I" leagues do they actually teach you how to skate? How much does the equipment run you? I would definitely be interested in that if everyone is a rookie and below.

Looks like there are some options for sure. Anyone on this board ever put a team together?

Old
07-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Troy McClure

The I leagues don't teach you much, but they give you cheap access to weekly ice time against players of a similar skill level.

The beauty of the Dallas area is all of the leagues and classes for adults new to ice sports. You can take any number of ice skating classes or hockey skills classes. Go take a short skating class. Then join an I league while also taking a power skating class. When the skating class is done, go add on a puckhandling class. Those focus on passing and stickhandling. You'll get to a comfortable skill level in a matter of months.

Ice is so much more fun. You won't regret it.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Awesome post! In these "I" leagues do they actually teach you how to skate? How much does the equipment run you? I would definitely be interested in that if everyone is a rookie and below.

Looks like there are some options for sure. Anyone on this board ever put a team together?
Depends on what you use for roller. Pants, skates, and a new stick (possibly) (and shin guards if you don't wear them) will probably run you anywhere from 300-1000 bucks.

The skates are easily the most expensive, but its worth it to shell out 200 or 300 bucks to get a pair that'll last 3+ years.

Get a cheap stick for now, and once you're good enough to play D or even C league, then a better one will be an option. Don't ever buy a 200+ dollar stick though, they're not worth it. I always get the pro level sticks from hockeymonkey (Pro Stock) or wait until a stick I want goes on clearance. I've only used the top line sticks, but I've never paid more than 100 bucks. There are plenty of quality sticks for well under that as well.

Pants are ~50 for a decent pair, don't buy them online though. Make sure they fit and buy them from a pro shop or something.

The rest is the same as roller, for the most part.

There aren't many classes for adults to get better, but just keep at it and get on the ice as much as possible, and you'll start to see loads of difference after a while. Can't say how long, exactly, as it's different for everyone. Took me 3 years to finally become one of the dominant players in my league (I'm 16 though, and I was one of the older players in the league last year) but most of that came from just being on the ice 4-5 days a week. Drills and everything are awesome, but ice time is probably the most important thing.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:48 AM
ginblossoms

I can only speak for what goes in Richardson, but besides the regular games, there are periodic practice sessions that are managed by a designated coach (which each I league team is assigned). How effective these practices are depend exclusively on the quality of the coach.

When I started playing ice years ago, I personally never took any special skating or ice hockey classes. Most of my roller experience translated well enough. Playing in a lower-level ice league helped with the transition, getting more and more comfortable after each game. If you're really serious about getting better at hockey and don't mind shelling the coin for 'em, the classes are a good idea.

Regarding equipment, I got a completely new set for ice (one bag with my ice stuff, another with my roller stuff). But if you wanna multipurpose your stuff, you'll for sure need skates (duh), ice hockey pants, and shoulder pads. You'll also need hockey socks, a girdle/suspenders/cup combo (or one of those new shorts with Velcro on the front & attached cup holder), and elbow pads. For me, I made sure to get a helmet with face shield/visor. Taking an ice puck in the face isn't worth the marginally better vision. For the stick, if applicable for you, don't use an ABS stick on ice.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:57 AM
ginblossoms

(addressing your questions specifically...)
Quote:
In Richardson, yes, they'll do some skating drills in practice. As far as "teaching" how to skate, the coach (and other more advanced players) could give some advice, but as mentioned before by LT, going to public skates and just getting out on the ice works best.

Skates (~200-400)... don't go cheap here. Pucks hit your skate. You want good protection there.

Hockey pants (~50)

Shoulder pads (~50)

Hockey socks (~5-10)

Girdle/Suspenders/Cup (~25)

Quote:
Well... a while ago, there WAS a thread here trying to set up a pickup session of some sort...

Old
07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
As far as ice goes, I've been playing in an "I" (Instructional) league in Richardson for the last few months.
Interesting. What team are you on? I finished up a stint with the Panthers in the spring.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
ginblossoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
Interesting. What team are you on? I finished up a stint with the Panthers in the spring.
Punishers. Knew somebody on the team already. Went to a practice and ultimately joined as a sub. Panthers were tough, but it looks like they're in a world of hurt so far this summer session. Goalie's kid had a serious concussion apparently.