HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

C'mon folks... all is not lost.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
C'mon folks... all is not lost.

So let's say that this is the lineup we go into next season with. Reimer and Scrivens. Bozak as our #1C. Maybe we get lucky and add Winnik to the bottom 6. No change to the defence, eventually get Franson on board, Holzer plays in our bottom pair.

Maybe we'll finish dead last. Maybe we'll sneak into the playoffs.

I just have a crazy hunch we won't go the way that we went in 2005-2006-2007... I don't see us finishing in that nether region where we pick between 10-15. We seem a polarizing bunch, if nothing else.

Perhaps we should approach this season as the same as a student first stepping into university. Let's reboot. Take a step forward.... we have some great building blocks, some great prospects, and I will admit that I believe that if we bomb out again this season, Kessel will be traded for a very solid return at the deadline.

All is not lost. It is very likely we are in the same place at next years draft. It could also happen that we've gone through a playoff war. From where i sit, this is a pivotal year to either tank and sell (aka MacKinnon, Jones) to make a strong step forward, or our existing corps pushes forward... Kadri makes the move, Connolly recovers, Komi becomes the d-man he CAN be under Carlyle, etc, etc.

Don't lose hope. Good things are on the rise!

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me EIGHT times, what the **** am I still doing here!

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Count Von Grabo*

vCash: 500
Either playoffs or tank for Mackinnon is what I want to see. Seeing Mackinnon play in Halifax on a daily basis was awesome.

I think tbh they have a shot at the playoffs. They looked like a playoff caliber team for most of the 2011/2012 season. So it's not a stretch imo.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:24 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me EIGHT times, what the **** am I still doing here!
You tell us, you signed up here after the 5th time they 'fooled' you...

Really pleased with the direction of the club, though. Very excited to see how the prospects develop over the next couple years, and the impact it has on the big club as the first wave of Burke's draft picks start making the jump.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
You tell us, you signed up here after the 5th time they 'fooled' you...
So did you.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
So did you.
Haha, I'm not here complaining about the playoff drought

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Sweet lord can we not start talking tank already?

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
MiniMoose

Tbh, I would rather tank this year. We waited for 8 years so why not wait for one more year for the playoffs especially if we can get the next Crosby in MacKinnon

MiniMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Rusty545

I don't see the current roster making the playoffs, still too many holes and question marks. Burke claims he is not finished for the offseason yet, so the most we can do is wait and see what is to happen...

Rusty545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
number72

To make the playoffs we need a few teams to collpase (for example the Habs disastrous start or Tampa zombie goaltending or Sabres concussed goalie or WSH russian collapse) that kept the leafs in the playoff bubble. However, the leafs themselves had their collapse at that points.

So long story short, playoffs are possible but things we probably won't be able get a playoff spots if the other teams are healthy or do not have a setback.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I would agree. The way I look at it, prior to falling completely apart (which started with goaltending IMO) the Leafs were a playoff team. I don't think we are that far from playoffs. If we acquired a goaltender we would make it (I know, they don't grow on trees).

The other option would be Reimer returning to his rookie season form and stealing us some games.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
I actually agree. I'm thinking we either squeak in or just finish with a top 5-7 pick.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Donmega

Top 3 draft pick with the pylons in net

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
DionPhaneuf3

If we go into next season with our current roster, i don't think there's a shot at all of making the playoffs.

I see these teams as playoff locks for next year

Boston
New York Rangers
Pittsburgh
Washington
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay ( upgraded defence and goaltending)

That only leaves 2 spots in the east with 3 other solid playoff contenders, Florida, Carolina, New jersey

I really believe we have to make a huge move before next season, acquiring either a top Center or Goalie or were gonna see this team come up short again.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:50 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoose View Post
Tbh, I would rather tank this year. We waited for 8 years so why not wait for one more year for the playoffs especially if we can get the next Crosby in MacKinnon
maybe reilly will play well enuff to allow them to trade gardiner ......i mean our best prospect is one of our top 4 defenceman too.lets see how many prospects we have in the next futures watch before we gush over blacker .percy .mckegg or biggs
we have no choice but to tank .....we cant lure true stars here ,especially with a lightning rod gm
burke couldnt even get a sniff from two of his HOCKEY USA guys
so that card is done too

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:50 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

If we are a bubble team by the trade deadline, we should sell.

Lots of UFA's: Lupul, MacArthur, Bozak, Connolly, Steckel, Orr, Lombardi.

That should net us some picks and land us a top 5 spot in the draft.

Tons of cap space gone, get a franchise player in the draft and spend some cake on July 1st 2013.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Rinzler

This place has been such a downer the last 4 days. I hate free agency, you either overpay or you have hordes of whining fans that you didn't overpay. Sucks either way.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
markh100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
I actually agree. I'm thinking we either squeak in or just finish with a top 5-7 pick.
I'm going into this season with an expectation of finishing tied for the final playoff spot, tied in head-to-head matchups, but losing out on the final playoff spot by one goal against in goal differential, therefore ending up with the 14th overall pick. That way, no matter what happens, I can't be disappointed

markh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
maybe reilly will play well enuff to allow them to trade gardiner ......i mean our best prospect is one of our top 4 defenceman too.lets see how many prospects we have in the next futures watch before we gush over blacker .percy .mckegg or biggs
we have no choice but to tank .....we cant lure true stars here ,especially with a lightning rod gm
burke couldnt even get a sniff from two of his HOCKEY USA guys
so that card is done too
I think you are correct about tanking being the most reliable option to acquire elite talent. It is just no one wants to tank. The other option is trading but unless there is overpayment (kessel) than it is hit or miss as well (giggy vs lupul).

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
To make the playoffs we need a few teams to collpase (for example the Habs disastrous start or Tampa zombie goaltending or Sabres concussed goalie or WSH russian collapse) that kept the leafs in the playoff bubble. However, the leafs themselves had their collapse at that points.

So long story short, playoffs are possible but things we probably won't be able get a playoff spots if the other teams are healthy or do not have a setback.
We said the same things last year about the Habs improving, the Sabres adding tons of firepower, etc. They didn't turn out so well.

I'm just illustrating that, in my own opinion, we'll either face plant, or hit the next level. Dats all.

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
At this point you can't tell. Not even non-fans can tell.
I think the Leafs, are probably the most wild and unpredictable team
in the NHL right now.

Most would have us, out of the playoffs, due to reputation, but I have
faith that we can build on the 1st 60 games of the last season.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:06 AM
MorriPage

The problem I have with the Leafs, as they're currently constructed, is this: there are way too many variables and "if's" with this team right now. IF Reimer can return to his pre-injury form and IF Bozak can maintain a high level (or even elevate) of play, and IF Kessel and Lupul can pick up where they left off and IF the MacArthur/Grabovski/Kulemin line can return to the level they showed two years ago and IF Gardiner doesn't experience the dreaded sophomore slump then maybe this team will squeak into the playoffs. As it stands right now, barring any trades Burke makes, I fully expect this team to pick in the top five of next year's draft again. But like I said, too many variables. I could be completely wrong in the opposite direction. But when there are this many variables, it's not a good sign. Good teams and great teams have very few variables. You look at their rosters and you know what you're getting. The Leafs don't have that.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ya, I feel the same way. Sneak in or bottom 5 pick. I have no problem with another top 5-7 pick, wouldn't mind one the forwards at the top of the draft or even a black D man (Seth Jones or Jordan Subban).

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Without a goalie this is another lottery season.

At least Burke stopped trading those picks away.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:16 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

It's July 4th

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote