HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
mriswith

vCash: 500
I also think the trade was quite fair, although I'm not nearly as high on Nash as it seems most people are.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
^ I think Nash is a bit overrated too, but he simply is an unique offensive talent who is hard to knock off the puck and has silk hands - getting to be with an elite playmaker (Richards) and speedy sniper (Gaborik), he has a good shot at potting 40+.

But then again, some have pointed out that his floating in CBJ could put him in bad terms with Torts. It'll depend whether if he adjusts now that he's playing for a contender or keeps doing the same **** because he's getting paid anyway.
I seem to remember Hitchcock getting the best out of Nash, Hitch ain't no shrinking violet so I think he'll do fine.

Under Hitchcock in 08-09 Nash scored 40 goals and averaged 2:13/game on the PK.

If he can do that under Hitch, I think Torts can get a similar performance out of him.

Edit: As an aside, I think the Rangers may consider putting Gaborik on the block. I wonder what his NTC looks like...

Old
07-23-2012, 05:11 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I guess I'm the only one who thinks that Columbus did well in this trade. Nash is still super overrated. People like to point to his international numbers, but if you exclude games against France, Ukraine, Slovenia, Latvia, Norway, and Belarus, he's still only scored 32 points in 40 games (stolen from mc79 on Twitter). I'd say the over/under on his point production next season is still around 65.

Columbus just traded a guy who is going to produce at market value at best for a few very good cost-controlled pieces. Erixon is a defense first defenceman who just scored at a better pace than Jordan Schroeder in the AHL (same draft year). Anisimov is also terribly underrated - he's already a good puck possession player who just turned 24. His career trajectory looks a lot like Ryan Kesler's (or any other player that gets plugged in a defensive role to start his career) - he destroyed the AHL at 20 and has three seasons of very good even strength production playing reasonably tough minutes for a player of his age. I wouldn't be surprised to see him break out into a quality second line centre as early as next season.

I don't think Columbus made out like bandits either, but I think this this trade is more fair than people are perceiving it to be.
Completely agree. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 6.8million for Nash..

Old
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Completely agree. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 6.8million for Nash..
7.8 million.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
I seem to remember Hitchcock getting the best out of Nash, Hitch ain't no shrinking violet so I think he'll do fine.

Under Hitchcock in 08-09 Nash scored 40 goals and averaged 2:13/game on the PK.

If he can do that under Hitch, I think Torts can get a similar performance out of him.

Edit: As an aside, I think the Rangers may consider putting Gaborik on the block. I wonder what his NTC looks like...
He did buy a place in Van didn't he?

I doubt it. At least not yet. They need O, I think Gabby stays at least for this season.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
7.8 million.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
gurfling

I think its an okay deal for CBS. But my thing is that Howson was talking about hitting a home run with this deal, and waiting for the right deal, it just seems like he realized that deal was never coming and gave in/up.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
look at the flurry of semin proposals when people were panicking around july 1st. suddenly he became "very good" defensively.
No kidding that a player's stock and value plateaus each time they hit July 1.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Solidius

Stupid question but what does the depth chart on NY look like now? I'm reevaluating my keepers for another league.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
digger18

Lol howsen got completely fleeced. It can't believe he hummed and hawed for 6 months only to settle for a package like that!

Old
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I guess I'm the only one who thinks that Columbus did well in this trade. Nash is still super overrated. People like to point to his international numbers, but if you exclude games against France, Ukraine, Slovenia, Latvia, Norway, and Belarus, he's still only scored 32 points in 40 games (stolen from mc79 on Twitter). I'd say the over/under on his point production next season is still around 65.

Columbus just traded a guy who is going to produce at market value at best for a few very good cost-controlled pieces. Erixon is a defense first defenceman who just scored at a better pace than Jordan Schroeder in the AHL (same draft year). Anisimov is also terribly underrated - he's already a good puck possession player who just turned 24. His career trajectory looks a lot like Ryan Kesler's (or any other player that gets plugged in a defensive role to start his career) - he destroyed the AHL at 20 and has three seasons of very good even strength production playing reasonably tough minutes for a player of his age. I wouldn't be surprised to see him break out into a quality second line centre as early as next season.

I don't think Columbus made out like bandits either, but I think this this trade is more fair than people are perceiving it to be.
I disagree that Nash is overrated but I agree that Columbus did well. You have to take on potential in a trade like this and Columbus did the right thing taking on players that are closer to their potential rather than younger prospects. Anisimov and Erixon offer nice potential and more importantly for Columbus, they're already NHL players. They couldn't afford to whiff on this completely.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
wierd trade

Howson got fleeced (Dubinsky, Kreider and Erixon should have been the deal - easier sell anyway)
and yet
CBJ got better on the ice anyway.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:53 PM
HankieDankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
wierd trade

Howson got fleeced (Dubinsky, Kreider and Erixon should have been the deal - easier sell anyway)
and yet
CBJ got better on the ice anyway.
I think it has to do with how over rated Nash is. And this coming from a guy who owns a Nash team Canada tee

Old
07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
arsmaster

I think Columbus has a really solid base. I agree wit everything pitseleh posted.

Anisimov is going to thrive in a bigger role.

Dubinsky is a solid player who a ton of posters on here wanted.

Erixon is basically a young Ohlund.

And now they have 3 - 1st round picks in what looks like an excellent draft.

I'd like to see them package Brassard for a top 6 winger.

With a goalie they don't look much worse on paper than the Coyotes have the past few years.

Coaching and goaltending, along with the shift to a more blue collar 'team' than one built around a star will serve them well IMO.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
jigsaw99

Looks like Christian Thomas might make the team for NY.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I think if Nash didn't have his NTC, he might've fetched marginally better return.

However, if Nash was signed to a more reasonable deal, say $5.5m~$6m cap hit, he'd be much more appealing.

Drop his cap hit by $1.5m and take out the NTC, I think he would cost a similar package centered around one of Kreider, MDZ or MCD.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Looks like Christian Thomas might make the team for NY.
his tweet after the deal was done ?

Christian Thomas ‏@cpt27
Safe. #phew. @dylan_mcilrath

Old
07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
his tweet after the deal was done ?

Christian Thomas ‏@cpt27
Safe. #phew. @dylan_mcilrath
Woah, no one wants to go there.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:45 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I wouldn't want to work for any franchise who lets a guy like Howson runs wild.

Columbus is a good city and they're (still) the only major league franchise there. CBJ could easily be a huge deal but mismanagement gallore keeps everything horrible. Eek.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:44 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
the other picks are likely gonna be low, possibly 25-30. doesn't matter really, cbj's track record isn't exactly the best.
Multiple 1st rounders lets you take a gamble on high risk high reward players. Worked out for the Caps in 2004 they gambled late on Mike Green

Old
07-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

If Columbus can get solid goaltending for the next 3-4 years they could start making some noise.

But I still think Howson will screw it up somehow.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Maybe Thomas should worry more about making the NHL then where
He would play. Think it is good trade for both teams. Nash is good complimentary player. If he was more Columbus would not be the worse team in the league. Also what does Columbus have to lose, they were the worse team in the league with him. Nash could put NYR over the top, but he never carried a bad team to the middle.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Reign Nateo

I don't know I kind of like it for Columbus. Also like it for NYR as I think Nash will flourish there.

Dubinsky is a heart and soul guy, could get 50-60 points and be an important player for them from day one. Not far removed from a 24 goal season and at 26 will just be entering his prime. Will drop them or whatever else it takes to stand up for his teammates, which is exactly what Columbus needs.

Anisimov is barely 24 and has evolved into a towering 2-way winger, he'll have nothing but opportunity in Columbus with their best players, could see him netting 25 goals if everything goes right.

Erixon is the wild card, people don't realize just how good this guy was in the AHL last year was very solid and played top minutes in every situation. And is just 21. Not very physical but imposing at 6-3 and skates well. He'll likely step right into the Jackets' top 4.

Plus a 1st round pick.

Columbus adds 3 young roster players that will contribute right away and give their team a fresh direction. I know everyone around here loves picks and prospects, but sometimes it's better to get guys that can help you now. In the real world they can even have higher value! (Hard to fathom I know). Howson did that and the future is still bright for all of these assets.

After all that fanbase has been through, getting guys they won't see for 2 years would be hard to take. They need a new direction and they need it now.

For a guy with a huge contract that wanted out? I'd say they made out pretty good...

Old
07-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

With the group of forwards they have (a bunch of second-liners, no true first-line players), Columbus can only succeed if they get great goaltending and play a suffocating defensive style. Just looking at a depth chart, their defense might be passable, and their goalies are mediocre at best (not counting Mason, who's barely even an NHL goalie at this point). They're not going to get lucky like Florida, who only made the playoffs because the Southeast division was absolutely atrocious last year.

I think you'll see Anisimov and Dubinsky struggle to reach last year's numbers. They went from playing on an already-stacked team with good coaching to, well, Columbus. Neither of them will be able to produce like even second-line forwards imo.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
With the group of forwards they have (a bunch of second-liners, no true first-line players), Columbus can only succeed if they get great goaltending and play a suffocating defensive style. Just looking at a depth chart, their defense might be passable, and their goalies are mediocre at best (not counting Mason, who's barely even an NHL goalie at this point). They're not going to get lucky like Florida, who only made the playoffs because the Southeast division was absolutely atrocious last year.

I think you'll see Anisimov and Dubinsky struggle to reach last year's numbers. They went from playing on an already-stacked team with good coaching to, well, Columbus. Neither of them will be able to produce like even second-line forwards imo.
Regardless of what they do or don't do this year in Columbus (and who really knows in the age of parity) the point is they got good value right now and showed their fanbase they weren't giving up for the next 4-5 years. Personally I'm not betting against them to rebound a bit. They're literally a completley different team than they were the majority of last season...

Closed Thread