HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 07:58 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
He was consistently bringing the hits in the cup run; he finished 3rd in the playoffs with 78 hits, ten behind Bieksa (#1). Lucic had 71 hits in as many games.
Hits don't mean anything when you fold like a cheap tent when challenged in front of the net.

Edler hits and when he does it hurts, but he consistently allows the opposition to dictate.

Until that mentality changes I don't want to give him sedin money.

I don't care what comparables around the league make. His two best comps are Seabrook and Enstrom, should come in around them tops.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Hits don't mean anything when you fold like a cheap tent when challenged in front of the net.

Edler hits and when he does it hurts, but he consistently allows the opposition to dictate.

Until that mentality changes I don't want to give him sedin money.

I don't care what comparables around the league make. His two best comps are Seabrook and Enstrom, should come in around them tops.
I agree that he's still too hesitant and needs to initiate more. That hesitancy matched with (and likely feeds into) his inconsistency is holding him back from being a truly fantastic, franchise defenceman.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Chairman Maouth

vCash: 50
Regarding the latest trials and tribulations of T. Thomas.

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie? Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one.

07-28-2012, 12:58 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post

Strombone ‏@strombone1
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie? Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one.
Can't believe we lost to an ***hole like that.

I thought he was still trying to deny his identity on twitter though?

Old
07-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Can't believe we lost to an ***hole like that.

I thought he was still trying to deny his identity on twitter though?
He alternates between admitting he's Luongo, and claiming he's someone else. He could clear it all up for anyone who still doesn't believe it's him if he posted a pic of himself holding a sign that says "Strombone1". I don't think he wants to do that though. He'd have to obey the NHL's social media policy, and I think he just wants to have fun with it.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Latest?

Or are you referring to the whole sitting out for a year thing?

Old
07-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Latest?

Or are you referring to the whole sitting out for a year thing?
They're referring to him coming out (pun intended) in ardent support of Chik-Fil-A, a fried chicken branch in the United States that is run by a bunch of bigots who spend millions of dollars trying to squash the "gay agenda" (scare quotes!).

Thomas got involved again, because he's a raving lunatic. I wonder if his home in Colorado is a "compound"...

Old
07-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I'm still not sure what deep frying chicken parts for money and being biblically correct have to do with one another.. but perhaps we should keep this off political topics.

Old
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
They're referring to him coming out (pun intended) in ardent support of Chik-Fil-A, a fried chicken branch in the United States that is run by a bunch of bigots who spend millions of dollars trying to squash the "gay agenda" (scare quotes!).

Thomas got involved again, because he's a raving lunatic. I wonder if his home in Colorado is a "compound"...
Why does fried chicken keep getting wrapped up in political agendas? Decades ago it was the Church's Chicken franchise that was accused of adding an "ingredient" to their product that made men impotent..... and then strategically placing their restaurants in predominantly black neighbourhoods.

Photoshop homework for someone:

Take a photo of Thomas hoisting (preferably kissing) the cup and replace the trophy with a bucket of KFC; but change the letters to KKK...... (y'know, just to honour the names of his three daughters )

Old
07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Why does fried chicken keep getting wrapped up in political agendas? Decades ago it was the Church's Chicken franchise that was accused of adding an "ingredient" to their product that made men impotent..... and then strategically placing their restaurants in predominantly black neighbourhoods.

Photoshop homework for someone:

Take a photo of Thomas hoisting (preferably kissing) the cup and replace the trophy with a bucket of KFC; but change the letters to KKK...... (y'know, just to honour the names of his three daughters )
Yeah we don't want to go there.

Here's what he said.

http://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOfficialPage

Old
07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Is there anyone here that will actually be surprised if Detroit misses the playoffs this year without significant improvements to their defense?

Howard is going to have to be amazing if the Wings are going to get in. The loss of Lidstrom without even ccoming close to replacing him is going to sink them in my eyes. Their defense just isn't good as it stands now and their forward core, while still good, isn't amazing.

If Howard isn't in the conversation for the Vezina at year end, Detroit misses the playoffs (barring a major trade to bring in an impact D man or two).

Old
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM
pahlsson

it'll def be interesting how babcock's gonna handle losing lidstrom, continue to enforce good team hockey or completely fall apart

Old
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Is there anyone here that will actually be surprised if Detroit misses the playoffs this year without significant improvements to their defense?

Howard is going to have to be amazing if the Wings are going to get in. The loss of Lidstrom without even ccoming close to replacing him is going to sink them in my eyes. Their defense just isn't good as it stands now and their forward core, while still good, isn't amazing.

If Howard isn't in the conversation for the Vezina at year end, Detroit misses the playoffs (barring a major trade to bring in an impact D man or two).
Add in the fact that Brad Stuart has gone to SJ and suddenly Howard could be left exposed more than he's used to. Plus this was not a young team to begin with. They have talent, but it is ageing.

Old
07-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Derp Kassian

Nyquist will put up a healthy amount of points. I think Babs will implement a fire drill system and take the reigns off Z and Dats, the only way i see that they'll conquer their D losses.

Old
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Nyquist will put up a healthy amount of points. I think Babs will implement a fire drill system and take the reigns off Z and Dats, the only way i see that they'll conquer their D losses.
i'd like to see that. less boring hockey but not exactly a system that the canucks wouldn't be able to beat should they meet in the playoffs.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:07 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:

there's no one left in free agency that can get detroit into the playoffs imo. their defense is going to be mediocre and thin and they didn't improve up front either. if they would have landed suter i would have picked them to hang on to a bottom 4 spot but now i think they're a bubble team at best.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
there's no one left in free agency that can get detroit into the playoffs imo. their defense is going to be mediocre and thin and they didn't improve up front either. if they would have landed suter i would have picked them to hang on to a bottom 4 spot but now i think they're a bubble team at best.
A trade for someone like Yandle would help a lot, but they'd likely lose a key piece or two. You have to think they were banking on at least one of Suter, Garrison, or Carle.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
aandbreatheme

I'm having trouble placing Detroit's top six: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson (?), Bertuzzi (?)....?

I thought Suter would have signed there, and it looks like DET was betting on that as well. Too bad.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:04 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Not only would I not be surprised....I expect Detroit not to make the playoffs this year.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:38 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Not only would I not be surprised....I expect Detroit not to make the playoffs this year.
It's hard to say because I don't see the West as strong this year as it was last year as a whole. It has been non playoff teams improving for the most part. I think there's going to be more of a divide between the top teams and the 6-8 seeds in the West this year. I think it'll be more like the East of last year where there are 5 or 6 teams comfortably in and then a dog fight 10 or so points below that.

Right now I think it stacks up like this:

Surefire playoff teams:
Vancouver, LA, St. Louis

Probable playoff teams:
Chicago, Nashville

Bubble teams:
San Jose, Detroit, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota, Phoenix

Non-playoff teams:
Calgary, Anaheim, Edmonton, Columbus

Old
07-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Proto

I dunno if Nashville is a probable playoff team. I think they'll take a pretty significant step back if they don't make a few pretty big moves.

Old
07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
CCF23

Never doubt Barry Trotz.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Doubt it. Babcock has successfully coached lesser talented teams in Anaheim, but relied on a very strong trap defence and solid goaltending to do it.

I wouldnt be surprised to see some of the stingiest hockey in the West being played out of Detroit this season.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
arsmaster

Expecting Detroit to suck seems like a really stupid thing to do.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:45 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Expecting Detroit to suck seems like a really stupid thing to do.
Not really suck as I expect them to make the playoffs, but as a 7 or 8 seed and I wouldn't be surprised if they miss. Look at their D and tell me you have that much faith in Jimmy Howard. As much as Lidstrom wasn't the guy he was in his prime, you can't just replace that, and not only have they not replaced him, they've done NOTHING.

Closed Thread