HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 09:46 AM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
@James Mirtle tweeting that Daniel Alfredson back for another year with Sens.

Dreams die hard.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Team1040:
Quote:
rt @nhl_sens: Breaking news: #sens captain daniel alfredsson to return for the 2012-13 season. http://t.co/tqicraht #alfie

Old
07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Team1040:
Is he not one of the best Swedes to play the game ever? Where does he rank alongside Naslund, Forsberg, and Sundin?

Almost a point a game over his 1100 game career all with one team. Don't see that much anymore, hope he has a good season and retires after the '14 Olympics.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Is he not one of the best Swedes to play the game ever? Where does he rank alongside Naslund, Forsberg, and Sundin?

Almost a point a game over his 1100 game career all with one team. Don't see that much anymore, hope he has a good season and retires after the '14 Olympics.
Forsberg and Sundin seem to be on a God-like level in Sweden for their respective roles in the 1994 and 2006 Olympic Gold wins. I think Alfredsson is just one step down from that, and Naslund probably one step further below that. (reason being that Alfie was a member of the 2006 Olympic squad and the 2005 WHC squad, whereas Naslund's international resume was unfortunately bereft of Golds).

Old
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
KISSland

Quote:

I'm hoping Sens falter and Alfie gets traded to Van.

Let him ride shot gun with the Sedins.

Flawless victory.

And IMO Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredson, Naslund.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Team1040:
Was there ever any doubt, though? Not for me.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I'm hoping Sens falter and Alfie gets traded to Van.

Let him ride shot gun with the Sedins.

Flawless victory.

And IMO Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredson, Naslund.
I love Naslund, but the Sedins are already better than him.

I don't know if you were just listing forwards, but if not you forgot Lidstrom who is far and away the best Swede ever.

Old
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post

I don't know if you were just listing forwards, but if not you forgot Lidstrom who is far and away the best Swede ever.
Heh for sure. I was listing from the ones he wrote down.

It's

Lidstrom

Forsberg etc etc .

And I agree Sedins are better than Naslund. Really though Naslund was never a "franchise" winger, IMO. He just had insane chemistry with Tuzzi. Still wish we got Nieds though.. sigh.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Heh for sure. I was listing from the ones he wrote down.

It's

Lidstrom

Forsberg etc etc .

And I agree Sedins are better than Naslund. Really though Naslund was never a "franchise" winger, IMO. He just had insane chemistry with Tuzzi. Still wish we got Nieds though.. sigh.
I wouldn't say Naslund was a "franchise" player, but he was elite for a few years. I think the only "franchise" player we've ever had is Bure. The Sedins are close.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:14 PM
KISSland

Quote:
I wouldn't say Naslund was a "franchise" player, but he was elite for a few years. I think the only "franchise" player we've ever had is Bure. The Sedins are close.
I'd say Sedins are Elite as well.

From everything I've read Bure was definitely a franchise player. PPG in the regular season, PPG in the playoffs. Calder trophy, Rocket Richard trophy x 2, All star, and would've probably won the Conn Smythe had we won the cup in 94.

I hope I get the chance to watch a player like that live one day..

Old
07-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Certainly below Salming. He opened the door (paid for it with the scars on his body) for others to follow.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Fedz

Quote:

I don't know if you were just listing forwards, but if not you forgot Lidstrom who is far and away the best Swede ever
Was just listing forwards. Lidstrom is on his own level but Forsberg isn't as far off as some would suggest. He did everything he could in the time he had. With good health he'd be considered one of the all time greats.

Quote:
Certainly below Salming. He opened the door (paid for it with the scars on his body) for others to follow.
The scary thing is Salming could have been a whole heck of a lot better. My Dad worked with one of his former teammates and he said he was drunk every time he laced the skates, said it was incredible watching him. Though this was towards the end of his career.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I was just going to mention Salming the trail blazer before you stole my thunder.

btw- how does such a youngin' like you know so much about the NHL from the 70's? First the St. Louis Blues making the finals thing and now this. Step away from the computer and go outside and kick a ball or something..... maybe roll a tire down a lane with a stick.

Old
07-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
I'd say Sedins are Elite as well.

From everything I've read Bure was definitely a franchise player. PPG in the regular season, PPG in the playoffs. Calder trophy, Rocket Richard trophy x 2, All star, and would've probably won the Conn Smythe had we won the cup in 94.

I hope I get the chance to watch a player like that live one day..

Old
07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Richter had the same playoffs as Kirk and didn't win the Conn so maybe Kirk wouldn't have.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Did you watch 94 series live?

Old
07-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Hammer79

McLean definitely had his moments in the '94 run, but had Vancouver won, I think the Conn Smyth should have gone to either Bure or Linden. Those two put the team on their backs, and compelling arguments could be made for either of them winning it.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:29 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Mike Richter would've won the Conn Smythe if he'd guaranteed something.
Nothing in sports I hate more than the meaningless guarantee. Unless you're HUGE underdogs, or you promise to retire if you're wrong, what does it do in a team sport?

Joe Namath studied film and found holes in Baltimore's defense. He ran the offense and made the guarantee good. Messier's Rangers were down in the series against the Devils, but hardly underdogs.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:12 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

For every successful sports guarantee, there are many empty ones that have been forgotten. Players make guarantees all the time when the team is in a rut, "we'll get out of this slump", "we'll take it one at a time and win the next one", etc. It's a 50/50 proposition, really.

The only difference with Messier's was that the NY media took what he said and blew it out of proportion in anticipation of the game.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
For every successful sports guarantee, there are many empty ones that have been forgotten. Players make guarantees all the time when the team is in a rut, "we'll get out of this slump", "we'll take it one at a time and win the next one", etc. It's a 50/50 proposition, really.

The only difference with Messier's was that the NY media took what he said and blew it out of proportion in anticipation of the game.
http://www.thefastertimes.com/hockey...up-game-seven/

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 08-01-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old
08-01-2012, 01:29 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I was thinking about that one as I typed my post. See? No one gives a crap because it wasn't on the 24 Hours' or Metro's front page on the day of the Stanley Cup Finals even though it could've been very easy pickings for the tabloid media.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Did you watch 94 series live?
Yeah but I wasn't conscious enough of what was going on. But if they won game 7 and Mclean had the 50 save OT wins plus his performances in round 1 and # of shutouts? I think you'd have to give it to him. Bure had the points but was getting shutdown, Linden would be the closest player imo.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Sure, Bure was shutdown a bit in the Finals...you know who was as well? Jonathan Toews, Evgeni Malkin off the top of my head recently. Yet, they both won the Conn Smythe.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:19 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
IMO Luongo is more of a franchise player than the Sedins.

The Sedins have had a year each at an elite level. Luongo has played at an elite level consistently for over a decade.

The Sedins got the hardware in each of their high preforming seasons but Luongo has been at a similar level for a much longer period of time.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Sure, Bure was shutdown a bit in the Finals...you know who was as well? Jonathan Toews, Evgeni Malkin off the top of my head recently. Yet, they both won the Conn Smythe.
Bure was also shutdown in the first round too then exploded in Game 7 and ripped up Dallas and Toronto, then got shutdown abit in the Finals with Tikkannen shadowing him. Toews was a monster for 3 rounds, Malkin was not shutdown at all imo Det had to focus solely on him and Talbot benefited. And it was Crosby who was shutdown like 2 straight years by Zetterberg/Lidstrom and it cost him the Conn Smythe.

Last edited by Derp Kassian: 08-01-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Closed Thread