HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 03:27 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Sure, Bure was shutdown a bit in the Finals...you know who was as well? Jonathan Toews, Evgeni Malkin off the top of my head recently. Yet, they both won the Conn Smythe.
Malkin got 8 points in 7 games during the finals and was even...that's pretty solid. Maybe you were thinking of Crosby who had 3 points in 7 games and was -3.

The Sedins are the benchmark for being shutdown in the finals - Henirk: 1 point, -7 in 7 games; Daniel was a bit better, 4 points, -5 in 7 games...both were injured and have never brought it up as an excuse.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Malkin got 8 points in 7 games during the finals and was even...that's pretty solid. Maybe you were thinking of Crosby who had 3 points in 7 games and was -3.

The Sedins are the benchmark for being shutdown in the finals - Henirk: 1 point, -7 in 7 games; Daniel was a bit better, 4 points, -5 in 7 games...both were injured and have never brought it up as an excuse.
Yeah, I was wrong on Malkin. I stand by my Toews statement though.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^ Kind of telling that the brother who was injured less did better and produced more in the final. For all those "injuries are not an excuse" guys...

Old
08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

I just checked out the goalie scouting site "goalie guild". I thought it was interesting that they had this to say about Toronto:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
COACH: Francois Allaire, Jean-Ian Filiatrault
Inexperienced prospects like James Reimer and Ben Scrivens can’t manage the extreme pressure that goalies face in a market like Toronto, and no matter how good of a goalie coach Francois Allaire is, he’s not capable of leading by example. J-S Giguere filled that leadership and “mentor” role perfectly since he was a master of the Allaire style, but without his positive influence, I suspect the Leafs will struggle between the pipes again this season.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Allaire's teachings are not for everyone. In fact, they're somewhat dated. There is more of an emphasis now on athleticism and movement, and if the Leafs try and force their prospects to be drop and block goalies they're going to mess them up.

Hopefully.

Some, including me, believe that Lu's slow starts were in part because Working with Allaire was messing up the the more agile movements he was doing under Clark and Melanson.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I just checked out the goalie scouting site "goalie guild". I thought it was interesting that they had this to say about Toronto:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
COACH: Francois Allaire, Jean-Ian Filiatrault
Inexperienced prospects like James Reimer and Ben Scrivens can’t manage the extreme pressure that goalies face in a market like Toronto, and no matter how good of a goalie coach Francois Allaire is, he’s not capable of leading by example. J-S Giguere filled that leadership and “mentor” role perfectly since he was a master of the Allaire style, but without his positive influence, I suspect the Leafs will struggle between the pipes again this season.
Saw this on the TML board as well. The fans are slowly getting clued into the fact that they are heading into the season with no #1 goalie, no #1 center and no #1 D man (apparently they realize that Dion Phaneufis not the stud they hoped for).

Still can't see Lu agreeing to go into that mess.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Saw this on the TML board as well. The fans are slowly getting clued into the fact that they are heading into the season with no #1 goalie, no #1 center and no #1 D man (apparently they realize that Dion Phaneufis not the stud they hoped for).

Still can't see Lu agreeing to go into that mess.
No, no, no silly. Brian Burke said he will fix the problems so he will! He never tells lies!

"Prices were too high"

"Not gutting this amazing team to get one player".

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Allaire's teachings are not for everyone. In fact, they're somewhat dated. There is more of an emphasis now on athleticism and movement, and if the Leafs try and force their prospects to be drop and block goalies they're going to mess them up.

Hopefully.

Some, including me, believe that Lu's slow starts were in part because Working with Allaire was messing up the the more agile movements he was doing under Clark and Melanson.
Wouldn't Lou know this then, and stop going to his summer camps? Why not just work with Melanson year-round? Almost every year he's struggled early in the season...

Old
08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

You would think, but he's gone to Allaire camps for a long time now. Allaire by no means sucks, but I miss the Luongo we saw earlier in his career. Injuries are a factor, certainly, but not the whole story.
Look at the change is glove placement last year. That's contrary to what Allaire teaches, yet the change to a more active placement made a significant impact on getting back what was once a dominant part of Lu's game.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Quote:
Saw this on the TML board as well.
I'd be interested to know in what section they are discussing this?

Old
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
I'd be interested to know in what section they are discussing this?
I just went back over there to find it and could not. I'm not sure where I saw it earlier. I've been looking all over today looking for anything interesting and this caught my eye...somewhere...didn't mean to jump on your post, btw, because I do think it speaks volmes to the mess Burke is creating.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Quote:
I just went back over there to find it and could not. I'm not sure where I saw it earlier. I've been looking all over today looking for anything interesting and this caught my eye...somewhere...didn't mean to jump on your post, btw, because I do think it speaks volmes to the mess Burke is creating.
Hey, no worries. And yeah, I just don't understand why he isn't willing to add a legit NHL starter. It's Baffling. (not adding the #1 center I somewhat understand as it is difficult to aquire one... although that kid Seguin would look good for them right now...)

Old
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

Quote:
Hey, no worries. And yeah, I just don't understand why he isn't willing to add a legit NHL starter. It's Baffling. (not adding the #1 center I somewhat understand as it is difficult to aquire one... although that kid Seguin would look good for them right now...)
Why is it baffling? Burke can't judge goalies. He's just ******** that way. He wouldn't know a good goalie if Patrick Roy walked up and bit him on the ass. I have to admit, I love Burke being in Toronto. It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Toronto getting a #1 centre is a soap opera that's always good for a laugh seeing the plots and mental contortions Leafs fans come up with. IMHO, to get a real, proven #1C they'd have to lose Kessel in the deal, who's the player they're trying to get a #1C to play with.

Ahhh...it's a good time to hate the Leafs and the Alberta teams.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostheticconscience View Post
why is it baffling? Burke can't judge goalies. He's just ******** that way. He wouldn't know a good goalie if patrick roy walked up and bit him on the ass. I have to admit, i love burke being in toronto. It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Toronto getting a #1 centre is a soap opera that's always good for a laugh seeing the plots and mental contortions leafs fans come up with. Imho, to get a real, proven #1c they'd have to lose kessel in the deal, who's the player they're trying to get a #1c to play with.

Ahhh...it's a good time to hate the leafs and the alberta teams.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Hielo Grande

this struck me as funny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leafberg.jpg‎ (32.6 KB, 28 views)

Old
08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
xtr3m

Steady Eddy at the NHLPA meeting in Barcelona.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:49 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post

He looks good.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:53 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Quote:

who the guy to the right of him..........

Old
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Is it just me or is that room full of Swedes?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Schneider should be there too right? And is anyone else from the Canucks there - maybe Malhotra?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Is it just me or is that room full of Swedes?
totally

Old
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
\\
Good on the PA. Not many places you could take a person to inspire them into job action other than Barcelona!

Para Cataluña y para Barcelona y para la República!

Old
08-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

Quote:
Schneider should be there too right? And is anyone else from the Canucks there - maybe Malhotra?
It's probably a meeting for NHLPA members who spend their summers in Europe. Everyone there looks far too European.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Good on the PA. Not many places you could take a person to inspire them into job action other than Barcelona!

Para Cataluña y para Barcelona y para la República!
I've been thinking the same thing, is that intentional?? More likely it's just easier for euro players on vacation to travel to Barcelona rather than coming back to NA. Hence the grip of Swedes in that photo.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
IMO Luongo is more of a franchise player than the Sedins.

The Sedins have had a year each at an elite level. Luongo has played at an elite level consistently for over a decade.

The Sedins got the hardware in each of their high preforming seasons but Luongo has been at a similar level for a much longer period of time.
I am a Sedin fan, so I was quite prepared to disagree.

But your last sentence clinches your argument. Good point, good post.

Closed Thread