HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2012, 09:14 AM
  #651
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 17,496
vCash: 500
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/..._the_standard/


Sure would have been nice to have these "talks" prior to our Cup Finals...but as long as they fix their issues it'll at least make hockey somewhat more watchable without pulling your hair out.

Canucker is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
  #652
trytobe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Guess the time for officiating reform is after his dearly beloved son won a Cup.

trytobe is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 02:28 PM
  #653
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,918
vCash: 500
Apparently the Oilers are close to extending Hall, and working on Eberle.

Fans are speculating/hoping that it is going to be a six year, $36m contract.

Maybe I'm underestimating them but I'd love to see that team lock up their big four to that exact contract, they are great young players but that'd mean the team would have nearly $12m more in cap commitments than they've got now and they'd still have the same brutal supporting cast they've had these last few years.

They'd probably have enough space to build a playoff team but not enough to bring in the kind of player that would put them over the top.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 03:06 PM
  #654
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Apparently the Oilers are close to extending Hall, and working on Eberle.

Fans are speculating/hoping that it is going to be a six year, $36m contract.

Maybe I'm underestimating them but I'd love to see that team lock up their big four to that exact contract, they are great young players but that'd mean the team would have nearly $12m more in cap commitments than they've got now and they'd still have the same brutal supporting cast they've had these last few years.

They'd probably have enough space to build a playoff team but not enough to bring in the kind of player that would put them over the top.
Doesn't seem to be much sentiment to take less to play in Edmonton so they can win a cup.

ddawg1950 is online now  
Old
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
  #655
Bougieman
Registered User
 
Bougieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Doesn't seem to be much sentiment to take less to play in Edmonton so they can win a cup.
Or make the playoffs, for that matter.

Bougieman is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  #656
Tim Calhoun
Genius
 
Tim Calhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,746
vCash: 325
Taylor Hall signs 7 year extension at 6m per year. Pretty decent deal.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...26640357277696

Tim Calhoun is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
  #657
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,801
vCash: 500
So on TSN's transaction page which goes back to August 7th, the Hurricanes, Flyers(x2), and Habs have all signed players to contracts longer than the owners proposed 5 year limit (which was proposed in July). And now you can add the Oilers to that list of teams. I'm sure Gary loves that...

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 12:48 PM
  #658
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Taylor Hall signs 7 year extension at 6m per year. Pretty decent deal.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...26640357277696
Takes Hall right up to UFA, in all likelihood.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
  #659
Socratic Method Man
Registered User
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 622
All right guys, I'm back from my week and a half camping trip. I had no computer, no radio, no technology. So then, now that I'm back... Where has Doan signed and who was Luongo traded to?

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
  #660
Socratic Method Man
Registered User
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Takes Hall right up to UFA, in all likelihood.
I believe 4 years would have taken him to UFA?

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
  #661
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
All right guys, I'm back from my week and a half camping trip. I had no computer, no radio, no technology. So then, now that I'm back... Where has Doan signed and who was Luongo traded to?
Doan is a Leaf, Luongo is a Hawk.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
  #662
trytobe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Doan is a Leaf, Luongo is a Hawk.
You sadist.

trytobe is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
  #663
Socratic Method Man
Registered User
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Doan is a Leaf, Luongo is a Hawk.
I'm going back camping... I might not be coming back.

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
  #664
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I believe 4 years would have taken him to UFA?
Well who knows what's in the upcoming CBA.

As it stands now it's either the age of 27 (which this deal takes him to) or seven years in the league (which a five year deal would take him to).

So if nothing changes, the Oilers got two UFA years in the bargain. If UFA is pushed back in this CBA, which some of the league's posturing suggests it might, then it could end up right around the end of this deal for Hall.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
  #665
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Taylor Hall signs 7 year extension at 6m per year. Pretty decent deal.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...26640357277696
Overpaying for 4 or 5 RFA years to get 2 or 3 UFA years that might end up being a bargain is a bad contract for the Oil. Good for Hall though.

Scurr is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
  #666
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,664
vCash: 500
Hall's got to learn to 'protect himself more' (and I don't mean by fighting but not putting himself into positions where he gets hurt like Hemsky is known for) else his body will just get worn down.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  #667
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Hall's got to learn to 'protect himself more' (and I don't mean by fighting but not putting himself into positions where he gets hurt like Hemsky is known for) else his body will just get worn down.
Just don't think that's going to happen just yet. Like Kesler, I admire the balls to the wall style, but that style takes it's toll.

I expect continued trips to the medical room for Hall.

ddawg1950 is online now  
Old
08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
  #668
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26,020
vCash: 500
Anyone else have a laugh @ Yakupov catching an 'infection' in his leg training in Edmonton when he 'fell off a treadmill'?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403689

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
  #669
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Anyone else have a laugh @ Yakupov catching an 'infection' in his leg training in Edmonton when he 'fell off a treadmill'?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403689
Should always wash your hands (and legs) after using the treadmill.

And if you are travelling to Edmonton, make sure to wear clean underwear.

ddawg1950 is online now  
Old
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
  #670
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Anyone else have a laugh @ Yakupov catching an 'infection' in his leg training in Edmonton when he 'fell off a treadmill'?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403689
prospect hurt in training camp?

RIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

me2 is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
  #671
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Overpaying for 4 or 5 RFA years to get 2 or 3 UFA years that might end up being a bargain is a bad contract for the Oil. Good for Hall though.
I'm going to disagree.

a) It's Edmonton and they can't get decent, proven UFAs. The closest they have gotten recently is Schultz, and they got him precisely because of that reason (ie no competition).

b) $6m is going rate for a guy like Hall

c) $6m sets a nice cap for negotiating with Eberle and RNH etc

d) $6m is affordable. when all of their big 4 are on $6m, that's only $24m total for Hall-Eblerle-RNH-Yak. You can build a team around that.

me2 is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 05:42 PM
  #672
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It's Edmonton and they can't get decent, proven UFAs.
That's why I would have tried to get more UFA years out of him. I just don't see the motivation for the team to sign that deal now. It's not a big bargain, they didn't get many UFA years and he still has a year left on his deal. What's the rush?

Scurr is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
  #673
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That's why I would have tried to get more UFA years out of him. I just don't see the motivation for the team to sign that deal now. It's not a big bargain, they didn't get many UFA years and he still has a year left on his deal. What's the rush?
7 years anyway isn't it???? I don't see how the Oilers could get a better deal than 6m@7y.

Hall probably said no to more years at $6m. Oilers probably said no to more years at $7-8m (injury and salary structure issues). OTOH $5m for 4 years screws Edmonton horribly.

me2 is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
  #674
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
7 years anyway isn't it???? I don't see how the Oilers could get a better deal than 6m@7y.
Maybe not, but I doubt they couldn't have signed that deal next offseason. IMO Hall's potential is limited because of their lack of defensemen. I just don't see him being able to put up a season that would greatly impact his value. On the other hand, if he gets injured again or has an off year, it could weaken his position.

Scurr is offline  
Old
08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
  #675
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Maybe not, but I doubt they couldn't have signed that deal next offseason. IMO Hall's potential is limited because of their lack of defensemen. I just don't see him being able to put up a season that would greatly impact his value. On the other hand, if he gets injured again or has an off year, it could weaken his position.
If they wait a year they
a) risk tempting him to push for a short contract which leads to UFA status (Weber/Suter)

b) open themselves up to an offsheet. Worst case = $7.5m and shorter 3-4 year term which ends in UFA year). Now they have to use $7.5m when negotiating the Eberle, RNH etc or risk p***ing them off. If they don't match they risk losing their stars motivation to stay there.

It's Edmonton and until it can prove it's not seen as poison by UFAs they don't hold many cards.

me2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.