Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Copp

Old
12-29-2013, 08:32 PM
John Agar

vCash: 499
Andrew Copp

Only been able to read about him previously and see his stats with the NCAA.

Finally have seen him in this WJ's. Looks to be a real keeper as a Centerman. Just what the Jets need.

Good size. Very athletic. Very balanced player. Better than average wheels.

Stats at WJ's so far 5pts, near 70% on faceoffs and plus 4 being used in all situations.

His history is that of Football star 1st and recently commited to hockey as #1.

Sure looks like a great pick that might be here within 2 years by Chevy.

Does anyone have more info/insight on him?

John Agar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:40 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

vCash: 500
He looks like he could be quite the diamond in the rough find...apperantly only took up hockey quite recently...some NCAA plus AHL...could be highly valuable in 2017...worth the wait..

VictoriaJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Bristo

vCash: 3425
If he comes from a football background, he must know how to throw a pretty whopping hit...

Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Repoman

Thought I was in the GDT

Last edited by Repoman: 12-29-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Wrong thread...
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristo View Post
If he comes from a football background, he must know how to throw a pretty whopping hit...
He was a QB, so hitting wasn't really part of hus game. He isn't really a physically dominating hockey player either.

I really like him though. Very smart. Very versatile and the points just keep coming and coming.

I am also a big fan of Jimmy Lodge. Both have some nice upside. If either guy can top out as a top 6 forward me thinks the Jets will look back at this draft as a big big win.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:16 PM
rguy56

vCash: 1165
I put this on the prospects thread with respect to his football.

Impressive QB.

http://youtu.be/8qoQf0VuajE

rguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Savagestevo

If he doesn't make the Jets maybe he can play for the Bombers instead.

Savagestevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:46 AM
jetkarma

He isn't playing for the Bombers and has no future football in his plans.

I may be his biggest proponent here , know a fair bit about him and really really am optimistic about him playing for the Jets. I think he does play tough , not overtly physical , like his good friend Trouba was at Michigan , but very gritty and gets to tough and dirty areas easily.

He has good instincts , processes information quickly as you would expect a QB in a football state like Michigan would. I have to admit on the big ice his skating has been more of a plus than I thought . This is a really nice bonus for me . Getting lots of accolades from hockey people as he has really pieced together a very strong last 12 months ( not calender months ) . Started slow in his freshman year but played well and scored consistently the last half and has continued that to date this year.

I said in another thread, I can easily see in a couple years that he could center a line with Lowry ( if he doesn't stay at C ) and maybe Lipon or Kosmachuk on RW. At worse they could be a very good 4th line and maybe in time a solid 3rd.

Solid looking future 2 way NHL C , he is a bit sneaky offensively , not flashy , but makes nice passes and produces. I'll say this , he has really progressed since he was passed over initially in the draft and because of the dual sports and the injuries , his development was delayed and if he improves as much from this point in the next year as he did the past one , we have legitimate B+ level prospect.

Like I said , I probably am his biggest fan and have some people I know in the business that are very impressed with him . I am too.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:56 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
He looks like he could be quite the diamond in the rough find...apperantly only took up hockey quite recently...some NCAA plus AHL...could be highly valuable in 2017...worth the wait..
He's always been a hockey player, just want that clear , he only recently devoted all his athletic desires to hockey. he's been a teamate off and on with Trouba for 9 or so years, so he isn't new to hockey.

He is a native of Ann Arbor where the US national development program is and also University of Michigan. That program typically has a small roster, most players and parents don't want to commit and be the 13 , 14th forward , get little ice time etc. The players are away from home etc. but since he lived there and was also committed to football , he was ok with the role and the program allowed him play both sports which they don't otherwise.

Let's say having Trouba at UM during a lockout was an advantage. Just saying.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:29 AM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
The kid is alright!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagestevo View Post
If he doesn't make the Jets maybe he can play for the Bombers instead.
Ah ya beat me to it

Jets forward for the NHL season and QB for the bombers until the NHL starts again. He should get almost a week off as the Stanley cup playoffs end roughly 3rd week of June and CFL starts last week of June

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:04 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Copps name comes up a few times in this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?t=1568875#

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:16 AM
meedle

This is the type of pick we need every year. I really like his game. I'm higher on this kid than Petan. Looks like a 2/3 center and has good defensive awareness.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:01 AM
JetsFan815

I think Copp will be "policing" the faceoff circle in the NHL for years to come

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Aavco Cup

I watched a few Michigan games last year and 1 game this year. Of course I paid more attention to his play this year. He seems to have an ice presence out there. He demonstrates the poise and decision making of a quarterback. It's a very interesting transition for an athlete and it will be fun to watch his development.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:03 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Such timing

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=698144
Quote:
Speaking with Andrew Copp, you would be forgiven for assuming he's a grizzled NHL veteran or at the very least a longtime coach. He speaks with a confidence and assuredness well beyond his 19 years, tossing out hard-won aphorisms -- "Consistency will come if your effort where it needs to be" -- as if they were afterthoughts.

With this maturity in mind, it's easy to see why University of Michigan coach Red Berenson named Copp, a sophomore, an alternate captain over the summer. Berenson described his sophomore center as a "gamer," a "team player" and, appropriately, someone with a "coach-type mentality."

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Huffer

vCash: 758
Thanks Allan5oh.

Really liking TNSE's draft philosophy. Character, Attitude, Work Ethic, Leadership, etc.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Copp is 4th in WJC face off percentage at the moment:

41 wins 18 losses for 69.49%

Old
12-30-2013, 08:34 PM
EastRiver

Was Copp passed over in one draft? Because I noticed that he is a sophomore at Michigan.

EastRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastRiver View Post
Was Copp passed over in one draft? Because I noticed that he is a sophomore at Michigan.
I believe he was.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
while this isnt the exact reason for it (many many players play a year of college before being eligible for draft) in copps particular case yes he was passed over in 2012

on the michigan article i cant read while on phone at airport, berenson is a bit of a tool. lak now shy well away from michigan players since they dislike berenson.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
He was. He compares very favorably to other 2012 draft picks too though. There are a bunch of them on his team in Michigan and on his junior squad.

Old
12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
while this isnt the exact reason for it (many many players play a year of college before being eligible for draft) in copps particular case yes he was passed over in 2012

on the michigan article i cant read while on phone at airport, berenson is a bit of a tool. lak now shy well away from michigan players since they dislike berenson.
Are flights coming into Winnipeg Holden? On H & L Ed Tait was stranded in the Denver airport and his airline was saying it was too cold to fly into Winnipeg???? I assume the airline was lying to Tait?m

Old
12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Are flights coming into Winnipeg Holden? On H & L Ed Tait was stranded in the Denver airport and his airline was saying it was too cold to fly into Winnipeg???? I assume the airline was lying to Tait?m
seems to be. the westjet flight to wpg that was scheduled to take off 45 mins after me is boarding now. air canada sucks. still delayed so im getting drunk at montanas bar.

were well ot tho

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:29 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
seems to be. the westjet flight to wpg that was scheduled to take off 45 mins after me is boarding now. air canada sucks. still delayed so im getting drunk at montanas bar.

were well ot tho
I sensed you might be dipping into it a bit....either that or you have borrowed Grinds phone which seemed like a long shot

Old
12-30-2013, 09:53 PM
jetkarma

Quote:

Think his best days are behind him as a coach. I do think though that Copp has that LA KING look , and I quite like that.