HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jets Moving Forward

View Poll Results: In your opinion what should the Jets do at this moment
Compete Now, trade prospects/picks away for big impact now. 0 0%
Married approach, between young/older core (keep core assets) 5 6.41%
Balanced approach, add assets via D/D (primarily), Smart FA, Smart Trades (1 core) 43 55.13%
Soft Tank, trade a few major assets (for prospects/picks) keep us somewhat competitive 20 25.64%
Total Tank approach (see Flames & Sabres) 7 8.97%
Other (please explain) 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

vCash: 500
The Jets Moving Forward

I would like to hear and see (poll) what everyone thinks is the best option for the Jets at this very moment (feel free to explain your position as well). See poll for your options, if you choose "other" please explain. Thanks in advance.

Hunter368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 50
Trust in the process!

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Jetabre
Here we come

-Trade Buff and Ladd for picks/prospects

-Trade Kane if we must for a similar valued young talent, or again picks/prospects

-Be worse for the next couple seasons, get higher draft picks, top 5 hopefully from our own pick ontop of other picks we accumulated from trading off players

-Sprinkle these new draft picked players + other solid prospects from earlier trades ontop of our already in progress young core with the few veterans we kept for flavour.

-Magic happens

(Or you can go with all the new players bust and we're stuck in bottom-feeding hell, but I prefer magic happens as the ending)

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:04 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 134
Soft tank.
There are players on the team I think make sense to move. I don't want to sell the farm but a player like Dustin Byfuglien I strongly believe should be dealt for a player(s) that can help us going forward.

08-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Jeez I wonder which one the OP favours? Might it be the only one suggesting long term success and smart moves while the rest "don't".

Very poorly worded poll options designed to skew the answers to where they are wanted.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Jeez I wonder which one the OP favours? Might it be the only one suggesting long term success and smart moves while the rest "don't".

Very poorly worded poll options designed to skew the answers to where they are wanted.
My humble apologize, not meant to skew anything please feel free to change the wording but keep the intent.

I haven't voted yet b/c I haven't made up my mind, personally I'm leaning toward several choices.

Old
08-25-2014, 11:14 PM
boanst

Well obviously the first choice is the way to go

I read the 2nd choice as stand pat, so I think they can do that for 1 more year before they finally decide what it is they are doing here.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter368 View Post
My humble apologize, not meant to skew anything please feel free to change the wording but keep the intent.

I haven't voted yet b/c I haven't made up my mind, personally I'm leaning toward several choices.
Your poll, your rules. Meh whatever, just seems quite clear to me which one it's biased towards.

Old
08-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
Your poll, your rules. Meh whatever, just seems quite clear to me which one it's biased towards.
Let me change the wording by all means, what wording don't u like?

So far tanking it is the favorite.

Old
08-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Whileee

Quote:

... and yet nobody has voted for that option yet.

I think the "tank" options will get plenty of play.

The most effective "tank" in recent memory was probably the Avs, who parlayed one year of bad goaltending into MacKinnon to join the rest of their strong forward core. I'm pretty sure Pavs can equal Varlamov's .903 in 2012/13.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:18 PM
meedle

I'm so happy, lots of people are voting tank!!!!! Might be abit late but the sooner the better.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Jetabre
Here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
I'm so happy, lots of people are voting tank!!!!! Might be abit late but the sooner the better.
Like I've said in other threads, the reason why Jets are in a good position for a tank of sorts is exactly because we do have prime pieces that compete now teams would really want, we can move for more picks and prospects, as opposed to teams that had nothing to trade and just tried to bank on their one high pick year after year.

Jetabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:36 PM
meedle

I would like the Jets to figure out what they want to do with Ladd/Buff/Kane. Let's not wait til its the trade deadline next season to figure out they want out or the return is low because we wait too long to make decisions.

Old
08-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Whileee

Quote:
I would like the Jets to figure out what they want to do with Ladd/Buff/Kane. Let's not wait til its the trade deadline next season to figure out they want out or the return is low because we wait too long to make decisions.
I think that they need to make a decision on Buff and Ladd this trade deadline. If the team becomes a strong contender and is solidly in the playoff picture, they might re-assess how quickly they can contend. I doubt that will happen, in which case I think we'll see at least one core player, and maybe more moved at the trade deadline to a playoff contender. Cap space won't be as much of an issue then, and there should be good competition in the "arms race", and the Jets will have some very attractive talent that should garner a nice haul in terms of picks and prospects or young players.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:08 AM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think that they need to make a decision on Buff and Ladd this trade deadline. If the team becomes a strong contender and is solidly in the playoff picture, they might re-assess how quickly they can contend. I doubt that will happen, in which case I think we'll see at least one core player, and maybe more moved at the trade deadline to a playoff contender. Cap space won't be as much of an issue then, and there should be good competition in the "arms race", and the Jets will have some very attractive talent that should garner a nice haul in terms of picks and prospects or young players.
I don't like how the Jets do business. The Mark Stuart signing yells there is no plan in place to me. I don't care that they signed him, if that's their decision. I care that they talked to him basically on trade deadline day and signed him that day, if I recall correctly, or maybe it was the day before. Anyways just feels like they are doing everything by the seat of their pants.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I don't like how the Jets do business. The Mark Stuart signing yells there is no plan in place to me. I don't care that they signed him, if that's their decision. I care that they talked to him basically on trade deadline day and signed him that day, if I recall correctly, or maybe it was the day before. Anyways just feels like they are doing everything by the seat of their pants.
Exactly. I honestly don't care at ALL which plan the Jets choose. If they could only CHOOSE one. Any one. Something with a clear goal in mind. Create something instead of sitting back and reacting last minute to everything.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
Exactly. I honestly don't care at ALL which plan the Jets choose. If they could only CHOOSE one. Any one. Something with a clear goal in mind. Create something instead of sitting back and reacting last minute to everything.
Interesting I haven't seen that concern stated before that I recall from anyone until this thread. I haven't ever gotten the impression they leave things to the last second before starting......sure maybe doing 11th hour negotiating but that often happens. Never realized people thought they are just leaving things until last sec.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:28 AM
troubabooster
We're in - woo hoo!!

Quote:
For me the Stuart signing was only a whisper, but keeping Pavs, declaring him this year's starter, and then resigning Thorbs and Halischuk was really yelling imcompetence/total confusion.

troubabooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I believe there will be some major decisions made this TD and off season if the Jets aren't in a close playoff battle come TD.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:31 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I believe there will be some major decisions made this TD and off season if the Jets aren't in a close playoff battle come TD.
This has been said in each of the past 3 seasons. Nothing yet.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
For me the Stuart signing was only a whisper, but keeping Pavs, declaring him this year's starter, and then resigning Thorbs and Halischuk was really yelling imcompetence/total confusion.
Thor and Hal didn't impress me either but really depends on how (and how much) their used. If Hal is just a 13-14th forward who cares really. If Thor is played only on the 4th in a very limited way or only in games they need muscle I can live with it.

Pavs - Tired on beating that horse. Contract was unwarranted to begin with, no buyout will never be understood or explained to the public and once that was decided Chevy had really no option to say anything but what he did. Paul will determine who is the starter through the season based off performance not Chevy. See how much rope Pavs got at the end of the season, not much I expect that to continue unless Hutch sucks even worse.

I just want to see the season finally start, way too much debating and going in circles on this forum. Haha Let's drop the puck!

Old
08-26-2014, 12:40 AM
meedle

Quote:
Interesting I haven't seen that concern stated before that I recall from anyone until this thread. I haven't ever gotten the impression they leave things to the last second before starting......sure maybe doing 11th hour negotiating but that often happens. Never realized people thought they are just leaving things until last sec.
I don't think it's leaving things til the last second. I think they don't have a plan. To me, it felt like, someone offered something for Stuart at the deadline, then they talked to stuart to see if he wanted to re-sign. And if he didn't they would have taken that deal. Do you see a problem with that? Just no plan at all.

How about the Noel/Maurice situation. Ok, Noel didn't work out. How about going thru the process, you know, do some interviews. Choose a proper guy. Usually coaches like to play a certain way. So wouldn't you do some player movement to find players that play the way a coach wants? Wouldn't you surround assistants the coach wants so the message is the same and the coach/team could succeed?

Like I said. Just feels like this is not a multimillion dollar company to me.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
This has been said in each of the past 3 seasons. Nothing yet.
True but I think with Paul on board now I think management believes in Paul to advise them on which players are keepers vs not and how close are we. Trade the non keepers and if we are too far away from our goal time to soft tank perhaps.

I think Paul is the difference vs the first three seasons. Just my $0.02

Old
08-26-2014, 12:45 AM
meedle

Quote:
True but I think with Paul on board now I think management believes in Paul to advise them on which players are keepers vs not and how close are we. Trade the non keepers and if we are too far away from our goal time to soft tank perhaps.

I think Paul is the difference vs the first three seasons. Just my $0.02
Really? Cause so far the team is basically the same team.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:47 AM
Hunter368
Winnipeg Jets

Quote:
I don't think it's leaving things til the last second. I think they don't have a plan. To me, it felt like, someone offered something for Stuart at the deadline, then they talked to stuart to see if he wanted to re-sign. And if he didn't they would have taken that deal. Do you see a problem with that? Just no plan at all.

How about the Noel/Maurice situation. Ok, Noel didn't work out. How about going thru the process, you know, do some interviews. Choose a proper guy. Usually coaches like to play a certain way. So wouldn't you do some player movement to find players that play the way a coach wants? Wouldn't you surround assistants the coach wants so the message is the same and the coach/team could succeed?

Like I said. Just feels like this is not a multimillion dollar company to me.
Maybe that was the plan with Stu, see what the offers we're and see what Stu wanted. If Stu's demands we're too high bye bye Stu.

Can't remember did Chevy say he had been thinking about replacing NoŽl for a few weeks, if I recall he said something like that. I remember him saying he got the guy he wanted but I don't think he interviewed anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong. That being said I like Paul and think he's a good fit. Not saying saying he's the best coach out there but still a pretty good one. I'm not unhappy with Paul's hiring at this point.