08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
1) we are not getting an arena for 30+ years
2) it wont be any bigger then it is now
while i dont think its happening any time soon, it could happen in as little as 10 to 20 years..

where it would go, i dunno. but itll happen eventually.

I wonder if True North would operate two arenas at the same time. Could be cool. The MTS Centre is very well designed for concerts and such. They could even keep it operating, remove some of the seats and increase legroom, and use it for smaller concerts and events, and push bigger events to a new arena elsewhere.

Obviously if they did build a new arena down the line, they should increase legroom and washrooms at the least. would it be 22,000? Unlikely, unless something happens and Winnipeg experiences a ridiculous large boom.. which would be neat. But 16-18,000 might be more plausible. While David Thompson thinks 15K is a bit higher than he likes, and I get where they're coming from with supply and demand and the like, sooner or later it's going to become an issue. Capacity won't be the only reason for a new arena, though. And the fact that True North owns it outright will make any new arena plans down the line easier to manage. Unlike the old days when we had to deal with Winnipeg enterprises and the like. It's good to have one person spearheading things.

Do the old arenas almost always get torn down?

Last edited by Reed Solomon: 08-25-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: firefox mobile deletes when you press save
Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
while i dont think its happening any time soon, ot could happen in as little as 10 to 20 years..

where it would go, i dunno. but itll happen eventually.

re built?
The U of M like everything else of course

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
DancesWithWookies

they could put it were the bomber statium is now

DancesWithWookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
You know.. wouldn't that be amusing?

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:24 AM
KingSalamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Nope... that's Target's new site. But I agree, it would be amusing!

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Honestly not sure how i feel about a new arena being built, especially somewhere else (dear god NOT U OF M). Considering we are FINALLY moving people downtown and generating foot traffic i would hate to see it get axed due to an arena move.

I think your more likely to see updates made to MTSC then a new arena in the future. A New arena i feel really would likely be 30+ years away, when you consider how long arenas generally stay operational for.

I also think they have a great thing going with a "low" capacity arena, drives demand way up and allows you to charge more for tickets.

Also, the small size = a better "entry level" then in a huge arena. Your product quality is higher in a small arena as the "worst" tier of seats in MTSC are as good (if not better) then 3-4th worst tier of seats at a larger arena. All of this makes for good business and higher prices. Sure, you may not cash in quite as much, but you deliver a better product in lower supply to keep the price high.

Also with all the investment TN and others are putting downtown, it's pretty heavily tied to the Jets being resident. If they move, whoever has money in those hotels/developments at the time of the move is going to take a pretty scary hit on their investment.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
s1g

Well, if the Jets are going to get a new arena 30-40 years down the road, I too would prefer it to be downtown. Just demolish Portage Place and build the arena over top of it.

s1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
JMT21

My buddy & I have season tickets in Section 216 Row 7 Seats 22-23. The seat immediately to my right (216-7-21) was a single ticket (walk-up) all last season.

The seat immediately to my buddy's left (215-7-1) was also a single walkup seat all season. Every game these seats were purchased by 2 people going to the game together. It always ended with us letting them sit together in (216-7-21 & 216-7-22).

We sat in 216-7-23 & 215-7-1. The people who bought the singles were usually annoyed as 215-7-1 is the first P3 sit and priced accordingly.

Call us ****** but if the 2 singles wanted to sit together we wouldn't give up our seats as we'd always move 1 seat closer to center ice.

We contacted TNSE to see if they wanted to adjust the seating so that the singles could get season tickets together.

Only if my buddy and I wanted to pay the P3 cost of the single seat... not happening.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
blues10

I can see how an increased arena size appeals to those on the wait list hoping to get tickets. However, it is not happening anytime in the near future.

When the current facility has reached its life expectancy I would be shocked if it was not bulit downtown. Longboat Development has its fingerprints all over downtown Winnipeg and the arena will not be far from those developments.

I believe the current arena has a 40 year life expectancy from the day it opened.

http://www.stevenson.mb.ca/longboat/

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...139077909.html

http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/18...town-winnipeg/

Large arenas can create many issues. Here is but one.

Quote:
It was True North's idea to sell 13,000 season tickets, with commitments of three to five years from buyers, before the NHL's board of governors votes to approve the sale on June 21. This was not a condition demanded by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, even though he warned Winnipeggers: "This thing isn't going to work very well if this building isn't sold out every night."

A look at the NHL collective agreement shows this was a canny move by True North. There are two conditions in the agreement for a team to qualify for a full share of the league's revenue-sharing plan: revenue growth in the current season above the league average from the previous season, and ticket sales of at least 80 per cent of your arena's capacity.

There is no doubt True North will sell 13,000 of the arena's 15,000 seats. The first three days of the ticket campaign saw 7,158 sold by Friday night to Moose subscribers, before the public gets a crack at them on Saturday.

Those 13,000 seats represent 87 per cent of the MTS Centre's capacity. So Chipman and his partners will know that for the next three years they have a great chance of getting a full share from the revenue pie, which could be $15-million (all currency U.S.) or more a year.

One thing that will not happen is raising the MTS roof to add another 2,000 or 3,000 seats. Brown says True North's market studies show adding that many seats would outstrip demand.

"There are no plans to build another 2,000 or 3,000 seats," he said
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...article582167/

It would be realistic to think in 30 years Winnipeg will build an 18 000 seat arena. Most on the wait list could have tickets by then.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Hockey Fan #751

^ That article is interesting to read today, knowing that the Jets didn't even qualify for revenue sharing due to their profit level in year one.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
JetsHomer

I live right near U of M so I fully support moving the stadium out there. I don't care if its inconvienant for most of the city, **** you got mine!

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
My buddy & I have season tickets in Section 216 Row 7 Seats 22-23. The seat immediately to my right (216-7-21) was a single ticket (walk-up) all last season.

The seat immediately to my buddy's left (215-7-1) was also a single walkup seat all season. Every game these seats were purchased by 2 people going to the game together. It always ended with us letting them sit together in (216-7-21 & 216-7-22).

We sat in 216-7-23 & 215-7-1. The people who bought the singles were usually annoyed as 215-7-1 is the first P3 sit and priced accordingly.

Call us ****** but if the 2 singles wanted to sit together we wouldn't give up our seats as we'd always move 1 seat closer to center ice.

We contacted TNSE to see if they wanted to adjust the seating so that the singles could get season tickets together.

Only if my buddy and I wanted to pay the P3 cost of the single seat... not happening.
I guess it's no skin off TNSE's back to sell that P3 single seat every game for face value. Were you not interested in picking up the P4 single to give you 3 seats to each game?

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Sabadecade
Sec304 STH & WL#1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post

Well, they have to draw the line somewhere, and, hey, now they make even more money by keeping them at for sale at the non-season ticket prices. (DOH, Gm0ney said it already as I was typing this post) But I get your point. Perhaps TN offered these to someone on the wait list stating that they are 3 seats apart.

Hypothetically, let's say TN successfully sold to someone willing to pay the P3 and P4 price for the seats that are 3 seats away from each other in two different sections at two different price points. When they met you at the games, would you still move over for them? If so, which way?

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:27 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadecade View Post
Well, they have to draw the line somewhere, and, hey, now they make even more money by keeping them at for sale at the non-season ticket prices. But I get your point. Perhaps TN offered these to someone on the wait list stating that they are 3 seats apart.

Hypothetically, let's say TN successfully sold to someone willing to pay the P3 and P4 price for the seats that are 3 seats away from each other in two different sections at two different price points. When they met you at the games, would you still move over for them? If so, which way?
TN could have just sold the P3 seats to the STH and got another pair of them into the building.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
shaunhil

It might be a bit early but I am incredibly excited for the season. I am a new wait list member and wanting to get tickets. What exactly do you get for being on the wait list. Do you get the left over seats after the lottery people pick each month? Also is that open practice any good? Is there a meet and greet after?

shaunhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Sabadecade
Sec304 STH & WL#1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunhil View Post
It might be a bit early but I am incredibly excited for the season. I am a new wait list member and wanting to get tickets. What exactly do you get for being on the wait list. Do you get the left over seats after the lottery people pick each month? Also is that open practice any good? Is there a meet and greet after?
You get a 15% discount at any of the Jets Gear stores

Yes, you get 1st dibs at the left over seats after the lottery people pick each month.

You also get notification (on game day) of any last minute leftover seats.

I've got seats for games via both of those, some side by side pairs, some singles, some some upper bowl, some lower bowl and even some club seats!

Enjoy, The Wait List is the next best thing!

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm wondering how much the wait list will move thanks to the lockout.

I'm guessing not much

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post

I'm guessing not much
An article that came out a few weeks back the Jets said they had received zero season tickets cancellations to that point....

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
sting13

Quote:

I'm guessing not much
It would be none as people signed contracts for their seats. They would lose the
deposit money for opting out.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
It would be none as people signed contracts for their seats. They would lose the
I wasn't really referring to season tickets being cancelled, I was more referring to people currently in higher spots on the wait list who drop off.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
That didn't stop the wait list from moving this past summer...it's possible people/groups that came together quickly in the rush of June 2011 could have fallen apart, particularly with the lockout, and now have no money for tickets so they just sacrifice the deposit money. I made the comments to my buddies when we committed about how the 5 of us could have bought 2 cars for the money we committed on that Saturday afternoon...

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:04 AM
dhfromkw

Can't wait to put my wait list benefits to good use this season. I went to 20 home games last year, I figure I could make about the same number this season with fewer dates.

dhfromkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
An article that came out a few weeks back the Jets said they had received zero season tickets cancellations to that point....
It was mentioned on one of the sports shows that there were only ~25 ST cancellations due to the lockout... Canada wide.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That didn't stop the wait list from moving this past summer...it's possible people/groups that came together quickly in the rush of June 2011 could have fallen apart, particularly with the lockout, and now have no money for tickets so they just sacrifice the deposit money. I made the comments to my buddies when we committed about how the 5 of us could have bought 2 cars for the money we committed on that Saturday afternoon...
Actually from what I understand the seats that were offered as season tickets
to wait list members were mostly seats that were not side-by-side and some as
a result of scalpers losing seats. So very little or any from people not renewing.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
sting13

Quote:
I wasn't really referring to season tickets being cancelled, I was more referring to people currently in higher spots on the wait list who drop off.
Again they paid back in the summer and it would be for second year in a row and a
loss of money. So not likely.