HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best NHL/Sports City

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
  #1
FuriousSenator
Registered User
 
FuriousSenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
Best NHL/Sports City

Boring summer days, no trade news, no Quebec news...so which city is your favourite in terms of both NHL specifically and sports in general?

And I don't just mean like homerism, no "I love the Wings so Detroit is clearly the best", I'm talking sports infrastructure (best stadiums, arenas, venue locations, representation etc...).

For example, I live in Ottawa (unfortunately), but I've been to Buffalo, Toronto, Washington DC, and Montreal (and explored their respective sports spaces, seen an Impact game, been to Rogers Center, Bell Center, ACC, what have you).

Ottawa to me is a decent NHL city, its the city's only pro sports draw so it has to be. As I alluded to above though, the venue (Scotiabank Place) is in a bad location (far west end suburb), the city suffers from poor transportation (no subway, LRT, or major rapid transit outside the highway); the only other main sports stadia (Frank Clair Stadium, a CFL/soccer stadium) is in perpetual disrepair and disuse because any attempt to rebuild or renovate it has met with immense local resistance and legal wrangling (causing a delay of nearly 8 years now ).

So I would classify Ottawa as an above average NHL city due to representation, support, and fan activity, but a bad overall sports town due to lack of venues, bad infrastructure supporting a fanbase (accessibility etc...), and a single pro sports team with little seeming drive to acquire others.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
  #2
Black and Gold
Registered User
 
Black and Gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Boston- Fenway Park is the best thing on the face of this earth, besides guacamole.

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
  #3
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Montreal. Those are some ****ing passionate hockey fans.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
  #4
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Boring summer days, no trade news, no Quebec news...so which city is your favourite in terms of both NHL specifically and sports in general?

And I don't just mean like homerism, no "I love the Wings so Detroit is clearly the best", I'm talking sports infrastructure (best stadiums, arenas, venue locations, representation etc...).

For example, I live in Ottawa (unfortunately), but I've been to Buffalo, Toronto, Washington DC, and Montreal (and explored their respective sports spaces, seen an Impact game, been to Rogers Center, Bell Center, ACC, what have you).

Ottawa to me is a decent NHL city, its the city's only pro sports draw so it has to be. As I alluded to above though, the venue (Scotiabank Place) is in a bad location (far west end suburb), the city suffers from poor transportation (no subway, LRT, or major rapid transit outside the highway); the only other main sports stadia (Frank Clair Stadium, a CFL/soccer stadium) is in perpetual disrepair and disuse because any attempt to rebuild or renovate it has met with immense local resistance and legal wrangling (causing a delay of nearly 8 years now ).

So I would classify Ottawa as an above average NHL city due to representation, support, and fan activity, but a bad overall sports town due to lack of venues, bad infrastructure supporting a fanbase (accessibility etc...), and a single pro sports team with little seeming drive to acquire others.
New York City. puts shame on all these other large cities. Only city that sells out even during terrible years. FOR ALL SPORTS.


Last edited by Melrose Munch: 07-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
  #5
FuriousSenator
Registered User
 
FuriousSenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,345
vCash: 500
To be fair I find New York a bit of an overload.

What is it now, 11 pro teams? 2, sometimes 3 teams for each pro league? I'd lose my mind hahaha.

I think I prefer just having a strong following for a single team or two, with maybe another team in a lesser league which still tugs the heart strings.

I find Toronto and Montreal ideal in this regard; huge front runners (Jays, Habs, Leafs), then a few other teams to keep you occupied during the offseason (Argos, Alouettes, Impact, TFC etc...)

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:14 PM
  #6
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
New York City. puts shame on all these other large cities. Only city that sells out even during terrible years.
Do the Islanders not count? Since the lockout, they've been the last or 2nd last team in attendance (except for 1 year where they were 3rd last).

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
  #7
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Boston- Fenway Park is the best thing on the face of this earth, besides guacamole.
Fenway Park is revered for being old. That's it.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
  #8
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
To be fair I find New York a bit of an overload.

What is it now, 11 pro teams? 2, sometimes 3 teams for each pro league? I'd lose my mind hahaha.

I think I prefer just having a strong following for a single team or two, with maybe another team in a lesser league which still tugs the heart strings.

I find Toronto and Montreal ideal in this regard; huge front runners (Jays, Habs, Leafs), then a few other teams to keep you occupied during the offseason (Argos, Alouettes, Impact, TFC etc...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Do the Islanders not count? Since the lockout, they've been the last or 2nd last team in attendance (except for 1 year where they were 3rd last).
To be fair, the Islanders have been run into the ground. NYC is an overload, but I guess it's NYC. I think you are a more Philly or Boston guy OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Fenway Park is revered for being old. That's it.
True. Hows the San Jose Athletic with Lew Wolff going, will they move soon?

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
  #9
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,103
vCash: 780
The best sports city is Boston. The best NHL city is Montreal. The best city in general has to be NYC.

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:57 PM
  #10
Black and Gold
Registered User
 
Black and Gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Fenway Park is revered for being old. That's it.
And also having the most consecutive sellouts of any of the four major professional sports in North America.

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
  #11
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 35,625
vCash: 500
best sports city is Philly.

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:04 PM
  #12
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
best sports city is Philly.
Philly definitely has insane fans (mostly in a good way, though Eagles fans kind of terrify me).

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM
  #13
DarzipanMildo
Registered User
 
DarzipanMildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: THE ZONE
Country: Angola
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
New York City. puts shame on all these other large cities. Only city that sells out even during terrible years.
Yep. This is accurate. Toronto has had really poor attendance over the past two decades.

DarzipanMildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:09 PM
  #14
crt
Registered User
 
crt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
My team's city. Duh.

crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
  #15
Jaydepps
Registered User
 
Jaydepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Greenfield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
best sports city is Philly.
I love the complex in Philly, but I am biased as well. All four major teams in one small area.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  #16
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
New York City. puts shame on all these other large cities. Only city that sells out even during terrible years.
Have you not paid attention to Toronto for 5+ years?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:14 PM
  #17
RaskY
GLG
 
RaskY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Toronto. After all, it is the Mecca of Hockey. It is the Center of the Universe.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:15 PM
  #18
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Chicago is my favourite sports city. Wrigley is one of those places that every dedicated sports fan has to experience at least once in their lifetime. United Centre is a massive arena as far as NHL and NBA buildings go, and its packed. Soldier field also has a throwback feeling. Its simply a great sports town, made for sports fans and history buffs.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:17 PM
  #19
DarzipanMildo
Registered User
 
DarzipanMildo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: THE ZONE
Country: Angola
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Toronto. After all, it is the Mecca of Hockey. It is the Centre of the Universe.
Fixed it for you.

DarzipanMildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
  #20
Zombotron
WD-58
 
Zombotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
I figure Edmonton's high up on the list with regards to the NHL (not sports in general, though).

Quote:
The City of Champions is now fully seeing the after-effects of the great Oiler teams of the 1980s. Edmonton ranks first in terms of producing NHLers thanks to a rich tradition of success at the pro level, plus 47 rinks in the surrounding area and some top-flight hockey schools highlighted by one run by current Oiler Jason Strudwick. Jarome Iginla, Jay Bouwmeester, Dion Phaneuf and nearby Sherwood Park native Cam Ward, headline the impressive list of Edmonton-born NHLers.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
  #21
Azkals
Registered User
 
Azkals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Philippine
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Best NHL city in America is a toss up between Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

Best sports city has to be the LA area. Two NBA teams, two NHL teams, two MLB teams, and two MLS teams plus UCLA and USC for the NCAA fans.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
  #22
Angelus*
Smile Time!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
I figure Edmonton's high up on the list with regards to the NHL (not sports in general, though).
Oilers have also sold out every game since 2005.

That's incredible imo. I'm actually surprised, all things considered.

Angelus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
  #23
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,005
vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Fenway Park is revered for being old. That's it.
No, it is the most wonderfully asymmetrical, quirky and intimate park in the game.

Boston has great teams and great traditions, as does Philadelphia.

NY would get my vote if they'd kept the Dodgers and Giants. Most of their franchises are meh.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:24 PM
  #24
Azkals
Registered User
 
Azkals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Philippine
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
best sports city is Philly.
No way. The Flyers, Union, and Sixers aren't represented well. They only care about the Phillies when they're good and the Iggles.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:26 PM
  #25
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 11,605
vCash: 500
NHL? Montreal bar none. Sports in general? NYC or Boston

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.