HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN The Season: Colorado Avalanche 2003-04

Old
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
MADGREEK*

vCash: 500
I was always Aebischers biggest supporter, I wish we would have kept him. He was pretty good in 03-04. We absolutely ruined his development shipping him to that French cesspool. Like Jose Theodore was going t

Sorry bros just threw up in my mouth a little bit

MADGREEK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
I think signing Jose Theodore was an attempt to get that big time goalie after Aebischer and Denis failed. Unfortunately it turned out to bear very disappointing results. Coaching...I have no idea what to say, except...haven't learned much.
With goalies it takes so much luck to succeed. They are so unpredictable. You can have some bluechip goalie and find out he is injured 24/7 (Rick DiPietro) or someone who doesn't get to play even in domestic league, but is finally a top NHLer (Pekka Rinne). Even worse it is when you can't really "just use them in a smaller role" like d-men or forwards - either a goalie plays or then he doesn't.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Well, I obviously meant without Roy. Nordiques made Conference Finals in 1985 and since that, it has taken Roy to be that far.
Couldn't you say that about Sakic as well? If he retired before Roy, there's a decent chance we wouldn't make it to the finals as well, especially with a gutted team. It's not like Roy ended his career with a cup either, it was an early first round exit.

I agree that Roy was an important piece, I just think the Avs had a lot of important pieces. For instance, the Avs haven't been to a Conference Final since Stephane Yelle left (2001-2002 was his last year, I think, not including the few games he played to finish his career).

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
With goalies it takes so much luck to succeed. They are so unpredictable. You can have some bluechip goalie and find out he is injured 24/7 (Rick DiPietro) or someone who doesn't get to play even in domestic league, but is finally a top NHLer (Pekka Rinne). Even worse it is when you can't really "just use them in a smaller role" like d-men or forwards - either a goalie plays or then he doesn't.
Completely agree. I expected Tim Thomas in your Pekka Rinne parenthesis before I got there, but I'm with you either way. I don't think I can blame them for the Theodore signing, especially after a Vezina and Hart trophy he should have been money in the bank. I was pretty pumped when we signed him, but what a turd it turned out to be. For christsake, Budaj beat him out for #1 for a while. That's bad.

SuperTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:29 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
Couldn't you say that about Sakic as well? If he retired before Roy, there's a decent chance we wouldn't make it to the finals as well, especially with a gutted team. It's not like Roy ended his career with a cup either, it was an early first round exit.

I agree that Roy was an important piece, I just think the Avs had a lot of important pieces. For instance, the Avs haven't been to a Conference Final since Stephane Yelle left (2001-2002 was his last year, I think, not including the few games he played to finish his career).
And Yelle "took" the Flamers to game 7 of the finals.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Ceremony
maybe it's time

vCash: 240
It still baffles me to this day that Granato got the coaching job again. And then with even worse goalies than he had the last time, or at least bigger question marks over the two goalies. Budaj was seen then as a perrenial back-up and Raycroft was a long-shot at best.

Still, at least the goalie combination has improved for now...

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post

Sakic played with Avs/Nordiques from 1989 to 2008. He only got to Conference Finals between 1996 and 2002, so his percentage of getting in Conference Finals (not to mention playoffs) was way smaller. No matter how many teemuselannes he had around him.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
And Yelle "took" the Flamers to game 7 of the finals.
Yelle got there once in his five seasons. But I think we can agree that a starting goalie is more important than a 4th line center anyway - have a failing 4th line center, you still have a chance. Have a failing starting goalie, you're done.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Completely agree. I expected Tim Thomas in your Pekka Rinne parenthesis before I got there, but I'm with you either way. I don't think I can blame them for the Theodore signing, especially after a Vezina and Hart trophy he should have been money in the bank. I was pretty pumped when we signed him, but what a turd it turned out to be. For christsake, Budaj beat him out for #1 for a while. That's bad.
The trade for Theodore was good in my opinion. It was basically like buying a lottery ticket. Wasn't a winning ticket, but chances were in my opinion very good.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Yelle got there once in his five seasons. But I think we can agree that a starting goalie is more important than a 4th line center anyway - have a failing 4th line center, you still have a chance. Have a failing starting goalie, you're done.
I agree starting goalies are important, especially if he can get hot during playoffs. If you look at the year after Roy's retirement, Aebischer put up pretty good numbers and led the team to the semi's. The next year was the lockout and the team got gutted. Aebischer is no where near the level Roy was, but I wonder how he would have done if a got a few years playing behind players like Foote, Blake, Bourque, Gusarov, Yelle, etc. I think he could have led us to a few conference finals at least. Detroit has managed to do fairly well with mediocre goaltending.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Despite that season being a huge disappointment I had not seen the 2nd part of that and I love watching old Avs stuff especially during the off-season.

All I can say is that video really made me miss Danny Hinote

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Xgp

vCash: 50
Relive the entire Avalanche 2003-04 season here, with ESPN's "The Season." Great behind the scenes look at a full ... http://t.co/05XO3ykH -- adater (@adater)

He really does lurk these boards.

Xgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgp View Post
Relive the entire Avalanche 2003-04 season here, with ESPN's "The Season." Great behind the scenes look at a full ... http://t.co/05XO3ykH -- adater (@adater)

He really does lurk these boards.
To be fair again, Mile High Hockey, which he follows, tweeted it, and he picked up on it and gave credit where credit was due in the blog post

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Xgp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
To be fair again, Mile High Hockey, which he follows, tweeted it, and he picked up on it and gave credit where credit was due in the blog post
Ah ha, fair enough I don't didn't catch that.

Xgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgp View Post
Ah ha, fair enough I don't didn't catch that.
Well, like I've stated before, AD does find himself in situations where his foot is in his mouth, metaphorically speaking, and when that happens, he deserves the flak that we give him.

And I do believe he lurks here still, maybe not as much w/ all of the Dater Hate that goes on.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
I'm with you, man...I was just kidding. I was sad to see Yelle go when he did, though. Also glad we brought him back, though I'd have liked it to happen a little sooner.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Spleenless Wonder21

Quote:
Not the worst for me, but it's up there. Worst for me is the Statue of Liberty by Roy in the '02 WCF game 6. Forsberg was Conn Smythe for sure that year and we never recovered after that play.
This. Closely followed by Brunette's OT game winner in '03 capping Colorado's choke job vs Minisoda, spurring Roy's retirement, signaling the beginning of the end. Had they won that series I believe we'd've been treated to an '01 Finals rematch.

Spleenless Wonder21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:50 AM
zech
@zech_de

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Except he didn't. He gave credit to Ryan Boudling, who did absolutely nothing. I wasted my time cutting the video and uploading that **** to YouTube, but everyone's crediting MHH and Boulding. Ridiculous.

zech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:53 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech View Post
Except he didn't. He gave credit to Ryan Boudling, who did absolutely nothing. I wasted my time cutting the video and uploading that **** to YouTube, but everyone's crediting MHH and Boulding. Ridiculous.
Hmm, then I give you my apologies, I just had assumed that he gave credit to whomever uploaded it

Old
07-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Barklez

Was anybody else surprised by how hot Barnaby's wife/SO was?

Barklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Selanne was such a carpet bagger.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:16 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

I remember that San Jose series well. Joe's uncle promised me Joe would bring the cup to my hometown if they won it all that year (This was right after Joe scored in overtime). He had been drinking quite a bit of wine though.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil One View Post
I'm not sure part 2 was ever produced. I believe it would have included the Bertuzzi hit on Moore, who was mic'd that night in Vancouver for the show.
It was. The doc gave the whole incident little regard.

There was a Discovery Channel or something documentary that featured the 1995-96 Avs that had decent access (the team was under the impression that they had to sell themselves then).I'd love to see that again.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Leizi

I'm in total ****ing awe how this team did not win the Stanley Cup (Sakic, Selanne, Kariya, Forsberg, Blake) could someone pleeeease do a tl;dr version for me? I have this faint idea that Selanne was injured and had his worst season, but I'd like a tl;dr. Oh and hey Patrick, you retired a few years too early

Last edited by Leizi: 07-14-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Leizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Ceremony
maybe it's time

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leizi View Post
I'm in total ****ing awe how this team did not win the Stanley Cup (Sakic, Selanne, Kariya, Forsberg, Blake) could someone pleeeease do a tl;dr version for me? I have this faint idea that Selanne was injured and had his worst season, but I'd like a tl;dr. Oh and hey Patrick, you retired a few years too early
Reasons the 03-04 Avs failed:

Kariya got injured.
Selanne's kees were just about non-functional by this point.
The coach was beyond sueless (Barnaby/Gratton/Kariya is a line pairing combination mentioned).
Patrick Roy retired the year before.
For all the stars, here's some players from that season off the top of my head: David Aebischer, Phillipe Sauve, Chris McAllister, Martin Skoula, Travis Brigley, Peter Worrell, Jim Cummins, Ossi Vaanaanen, Chris Gratton, Matthew Barnaby. A lot of crap to go with the stars.

I personally think the Bertuzzi/Moore thing was another reason for the collapse at the end too... it would have knocked the stuffing out of the team.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote