HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens Developmental Camp Roster (Camp July 10-14)

Old
07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Insomnia sucks, but I got this done. Day 5 Scrimmage report here: http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=75

Thanks for letting me poke my head in and visit, and thanks for reading my drivel.
Thank you so much, netwolf. Very useful, as always.

And post here more often! HF is where it's at.

Uemoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Yes. If he is going to have a chance to be an NHL player this season, as some people including Bylsma have alluded to the possibility of such, you'd hope he can produce at the prospect level.

Someone else deal with this.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Let's not get too excited. He was the most physically mature player among a lot of 17 & 18 year old's.
Well just counting defense the only 17 & 18 year olds were Pouliot and Määttä. Dumoulin is 20, a year older than Morrow but also younger than Despres, Samuelsson, D'Agostino and Velischek. Not saying he'll be a top 4 D this season or next but I think he's a legit talent with size and hockey smarts.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Don't forget the hand-wringing when Morrow was picked over Grimaldi, Puempel etc.
Yep. BPA, even when the sternest advocates here get a little antsy with all the defensemen we acquired at the draft, haha.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Well just counting defense the only 17 & 18 year olds were Pouliot and Määttä. Dumoulin is 20, a year older than Morrow but also younger than Despres, Samuelsson, D'Agostino and Velischek. Not saying he'll be a top 4 D this season or next but I think he's a legit talent with size and hockey smarts.
A physical defenseman with legitimate hockey IQ?

Peg him in Orpik's slot.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Yes. If he is going to have a chance to be an NHL player this season, as some people including Bylsma have alluded to the possibility of such, you'd hope he can produce at the prospect level.
You seem to have a very rudimentary understanding of the game. To even suggest a stat sheet for a prospects game you didn't even watch is the tell all is just asinine.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
You sound like all the people that thought Neal would only score two goals last season, because he didn't score in any pre-season games.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
1) Bennett is NOT going to play in the NHL this season, even though he has a theoretical shot at it, which is what Bylsma elluded to. That kind of statement, if nothing else, can help motivate a player, which it did in Bennett's case. It was great to hear him say after the game that he wants to ramp up his training even more and work out 2 times per day instead of just once. That shows he knows what he has to do to take his game to another level if he wants even a remote chance of seeing some NHL time next year, and in general.

2) Bennett hasn't played a hockey game since December. Hopefully you understand what that means for a player and how it may impact their performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I really can't wait to see Dumoulin play. He sounds exactly like what our D prospect pool needed.

He is EXACTLY what our prospect pool has needed. I have been saying for a while that although we needed another blue-chip forward prospect in addition to Bennett (which we may actually have now if guys like Blueger & Marcantuoni can develop as hoped) and some depth at the goaltending position, the 2 things we REALLY needed was (A) some big-bodies Dmen who could play in our top-4/top-6 to help compliment our smaller or "average sized" Dmen, and (B) a legit high-end offensive & PP QB type of Dman. We have filled both of those needs with Dumoulin, Maatta & Ruopp filling the former, & Pouliot filling the latter need (though Maatta & Dumoulin have significant offensive upside, as well). I couldn't be happier with our defensive pool right now...unless of course we sign Sustr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
I apologize if I missed people, these are the guys I can recall from memory at 2 AM and being drunk...hopefully it gives you guys a bit of an idea.

Don't worry. That's exactly how the professional scouts do it -- especially the Pens' scouts under the Craig Patrick regime!

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
You sound like all the people that thought Neal would only score two goals last season, because he didn't score in any pre-season games.
But dude if Neal cant even score at the preseason level...

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
But dude if Neal cant even score at the preseason level...
Then how can he even compare to Jon Sim, King of the Preseason?

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Bennett is NOT going to play in the NHL this season....

Agree to disagree.

I'm being glass half-full. Screw it.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Agree to disagree.

Are you? you are assuming Tangradi isn't good enough to play

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Are you? you are assuming Tangradi isn't good enough to play
Never said that.

Like, ever.

I think Tangradi will spend time between the 3rd and 2nd lines. I don't think he's a longterm 2nd-liner, although I could be wrong. He's not bad, by any stretch. Bennett is just more appealing, to me, as a top-6 option. Things can change, however.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Never said that.

Like, ever.

I think Tangradi will spend time between the 3rd and 2nd lines. I don't think he's a longterm 2nd-liner, although I could be wrong. He's not bad, by any stretch. Bennett is just more appealing, to me, as a top-6 option. Things can change, however.
sorry I swear I've had that argument with you but I guess it was someone else.

Who said it would be embarrassing if Bennett can't beat out Tangradi and TK for that spot?

nope,it was you
Quote:
Have a chance?

If Bennett doesn't get that spot, I would feel embarassed for him.

TK sucks in top-6. Tangradi has sucked in top-6. They really are giving him every chance to succeed, even if he has an "average" camp.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
sorry I swear I've had that argument with you but I guess it was someone else.

Who said it would be embarrassing if Bennett can't beat out Tangradi and TK for that spot?

nope,it was you
I said that I believed Tangradi is not the best top-6 option, based on his past performance. I said that (to me) Bennett was far more appealing going forward.

Where, exactly, did I say that Tangradi was not good enough to play? I'm not seeing that excerpt.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Agree to disagree.

I do like the optimism Ominous Grey. But I agree with jmelm's assessment. That the Bylsma talk on BB was mainly for inspiration sake. I don't think there is chance that he makes the NHL this season. I personally think he is 2 years away. 1 if he lights up the AHL this year. And I am a big BB fan.

I know we could use talented wingers, like yesterday, but I would hate to see his development stunted. And he really does need games played to grow. A handful of games last year has him behind a bit, imo.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I said that I believed Tangradi is not the best top-6 option, based on his past performance. I said that (to me) Bennett was far more appealing going forward.

Where, exactly, did I say that Tangradi was not good enough to play? I'm not seeing that excerpt.
No, you said Tangradi sucked and that it would be embarrassing for Bennett if he didn't take the spot over him. How is that not implying that Tangradi isn't good enough for that spot?

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 07-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I do like the optimism Ominous Grey. But I agree with jmelm's assessment. That the Bylsma talk on BB was mainly for inspiration sake. I don't think there is chance that he makes the NHL this season. I personally think he is 2 years away. 1 if he lights up the AHL this year. And I am a big BB fan.

I know we could use talented wingers, like yesterday, but I would hate to see his development stunted. And he really does need games played to grow. A handful of games last year has him behind a bit, imo.
That's a valid point.

Maybe Chris Kredier's season just has me gunning for the moon, here. But I have hope. He has the talent and the maturity. He just could really use seasoning. I'm hoping he can bypass that last requirement.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
you said Tangradi sucked and that it would be embarrassing for Bennett if he didn't take the spot over him. How is that not implying that Tangradi isn't good enough to take the spot?
I said that Tangradi has sucked in the top-6. Which he has. I never said that Tangradi sucks as a player, or that he is a bust, or that he isn't first in line.

He played with Malkin for a stretch, and in 40 games (granted, many of which were in the bottom-six), has 1 goal. If I'm Beau, I would truly believe that I could win that spot from him. Bennett's a first-rounder and the best winger we have in the pipeline. Would you be intimidated in his shoes?

Tangradi could easily fill in top-6 duty. Perhaps he can do it full-time. I just don't think it's overly preferrable to Bennett.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I said that Tangradi has sucked in the top-6. Which he has. I never said that Tangradi sucks as a player, or that he is a bust, or that he isn't first in line.

He played with Malkin for a stretch, and in 40 games (granted, many of which were in the bottom-six), has 1 goal. If I'm Beau, I would truly believe that I could win that spot from him. Bennett's a first-rounder and the best winger we have in the pipeline. Would you be intimidated in his shoes?

Tangradi could easily fill in top-6 duty. Perhaps he can do it full-time. I just don't think it's overly preferrable to Bennett.
First of all, the bolded absolutely hasn't happened outside of pre-season two years ago. Tangradi has never played more than a shift or two with Sid, Geno or Staal in the same game. And they were almost all Sid or Geno double shifting on the 4th line. He has never had a chance to show anything in the top 6. He hasn't sucked there or been good there because he hasn't played there.

And for the rest, I have little doubt that Tangradi is currently a better NHL player than Bennett. Call me a half glass full optimist. I would be embarrassed for Tangradi if Bennett took the spot over him. Especially since the spot open will most likely be the third wheel on Geno and Neal's line.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
First of all, the bolded absolutely hasn't happened outside of pre-season two years ago. Tangradi has never played more than a shift or two with Sid, Geno or Staal in the same game. And they were almost all Sid or Geno double shifting on the 4th line. He has never had a chance to show anything in the top 6. He hasn't sucked there or been good there because he hasn't played there.

And for the rest, I have little doubt that Tangradi is currently a better NHL player than Bennett. Call me a half glass full optimist.

I've personally never been impressed with BB and I'm really excited about what Tangradi will bring to camp this season. If he can continue to develop what he had going in late season / PO's we've got something good going. He seemed to have some interesting chemistry with Crosby.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
First of all, the bolded absolutely hasn't happened outside of pre-season two years ago.

And for the rest, I have little doubt that Tangradi is currently a better NHL player than Bennett. Call me a half glass full optimist.
No disagreement. But I think we can learn something from Couturier, Read, Kreder, etc. and give a talented young player a spot.

Tangradi is a solid NHLer. (That's more praise than he will get from many on this board) However, he is not, at this time, a top-sixer. Neither, at this time, is Bennett.

Considering that Bennett has a better chance to play those minutes going forward, why not give him a shot for a few games? What is to lose, exactly?

Old
07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
You seem to have a very rudimentary understanding of the game. To even suggest a stat sheet for a prospects game you didn't even watch is the tell all is just asinine.
And you seem to round-up every prospects talent level to furthest and least realistic superstar. All I asked was if a prospect that you claimed "could create offense on his own" actually scored any points in a prospects game against junior & other mostly non-pro players. He'll have plenty of time in AHL or ECHL to refine his game.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
No disagreement. But I think we can learn something from Couturier, Read, Kreder, etc. and give a talented young player a spot.

Tangradi is a solid NHLer. (That's more praise than he will get from many on this board) However, he is not, at this time, a top-sixer. Neither, at this time, is Bennett.

Considering that Bennett has a better chance to play those minutes going forward, why not give him a shot for a few games? What is to lose, exactly?
for what we need on Geno and Neal's LW, I disagree. He would be a great fit there. Big body that can win battles in the corners, go to the net and pass the puck. Bennett's only chance is to earn a spot on Sid's line. He'll need to be good enough to justify keeping Kunitz with Geno and Neal while Sid plays with Dupuis and a rookie.

and what is there to lose? Well we'd have to waive somebody to keep him up on the big club.

Old
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

If Bennet has a solid camp I have no problem with giving him the "9 game" kick the tires test. I have very little faith in the fact that he will be good enough in camp to get that 9 game test though. I really just don't get the hype about him. I don't think Tangradi will ever be effective in a bottom 6 role. He seems to be a top 6 or bust sort of guy.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote