HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens Developmental Camp Roster (Camp July 10-14)

Old
07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
If Bennet has a solid camp I have no problem with giving him the "9 game" kick the tires test. I have very little faith in the fact that he will be good enough in camp to get that 9 game test though. I really just don't get the hype about him. I don't think Tangradi will ever be effective in a bottom 6 role. He seems to be a top 6 or bust sort of guy.
no way you waive somebody else to give Bennett a 9 game chance when he's going to the AHL anyway. The 9 game thing only ever happens with kids in Juniors because once they get sent down you can't call them back up. If we have an injury open up a spot, sure give him a chance.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
And you seem to round-up every prospects talent level to furthest and least realistic superstar. All I asked was if a prospect that you claimed "could create offense on his own" actually scored any points in a prospects game against junior & other mostly non-pro players. He'll have plenty of time in AHL or ECHL to refine his game.
he did not score, despite by most accounts being one of the best forwards in the game.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
And you seem to round-up every prospects talent level to furthest and least realistic superstar. All I asked was if a prospect that you claimed "could create offense on his own" actually scored any points in a prospects game against junior & other mostly non-pro players. He'll have plenty of time in AHL or ECHL to refine his game.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Jacob

9 games doesn't have any meaning for non-junior eligible players.

I'm in favor of sending Bennett to the AHL unless he is absolutely, positively lights-out through camp and pre-season.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
9 games doesn't have any meaning for non-junior eligible players.

I'm in favor of sending Bennett to the AHL unless he is absolutely, positively lights-out through camp and pre-season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
no way you waive somebody else to give Bennett a 9 game chance when he's going to the AHL anyway. The 9 game thing only ever happens with kids in Juniors because once they get sent down you can't call them back up. If we have an injury open up a spot, sure give him a chance.

Yes, I am well aware of this as not only was this disscused earlier, it's common sense. Hence the " "

I was mearly insinuating that he'd be given a few games to show him self. Ogrezilla you make a perfectly good point about him taking a roster spot - And of course he would never be allowed to do so on the cost of an actual NHL player.

Again, im not high on BB and i don't think he has a snowballs chance in hell of making the team. Tangradi is a different matter.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Well there's all the proof I needed. Bennett in the ECHL. You seem very new to the game so I would suggest some more experience before you start arguing with posters who do have knowledge of the game.

Anyways....I think Shero has shown he will no hurry prospects. In fact at times he & Bylsma are afraid to give them responsibility. I just think some are really under estimating the amount of talent Bennett possesses. He is very much a high reward/high bust prospect that some people having been asking Shero to take for some time. He will be a great player in this league or not one at all.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Well there's all the proof I needed. Bennett in the ECHL. You seem very new to the game so I would suggest some more experience before you start arguing with posters who do have knowledge of the game.

Anyways....I think Shero has shown he will no hurry prospects. In fact at times he & Bylsma are afraid to give them responsibility. I just think some are really under estimating the amount of talent Bennett possesses. He is very much a high reward/high bust prospect that some people having been asking Shero to take for some time. He will be a great player in this league or not one at all.
Thanks for the advice/insight.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
You're welcome. If you want I could take you under my wing. Lesson 1, stats from one meaningless game don't mean anything. Maybe tomorrow I can explain how they move on the ice. We call it skating.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
I don't know if you are new or not and I don't care. You have excellent taste in avatars and on a message board, that is always the most important thing.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
I don't know if you are new or not and I don't care. You have excellent taste in avatars and on a message board, that is always the most important thing.
Remember these words.

Great avatars trumps everything.

Mine is only great if you know what it's about. If not, you probably think I'm a little crazy.

It's a difficult game, young padawan.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:31 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Finally, someone gets me

Old
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 0
this guy is a sucker. why are you all giving him an even break. W.C. Fields disapproves.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:18 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Finally, someone gets me
I like Kurt Hennig. You are just a stat reader who doesn't watch them game & that irritates me. This isn't baseball. The stats don't tell the entire story.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:28 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Agreed, as an 80's/90's wrestling fan I LOVE Mr Perfect! Great choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Remember these words.

Great avatars trumps everything.

Mine is only great if you know what it's about. If not, you probably think I'm a little crazy.

It's a difficult game, young padawan.
And of course this is the Summer of the Red Panda and we all have you to thank for it!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

I'm getting a deliverance vibe up in here.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I like Kurt Hennig. You are just a stat reader who doesn't watch them game & that irritates me. This isn't baseball. The stats don't tell the entire story.
I'm not really interested in exchanging insults and or pissing contests as to who has a greater knowledge of the game. You are bent out of shape because we have a different opinion of a prospect. Get over it.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
JTG

The thing with Sustr is that he has no reason to sign here. He sees what's on the blueline and what's coming. He'd be silly to sign here.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:36 PM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing with Sustr is that he has no reason to sign here. He sees what's on the blueline and what's coming. He'd be silly to sign here.
I think he has EVERY reason to sign here. Competition breeds excellence. In 5 to 7 years, whether he's playing here or somewhere else in the league, they'll talk about him as one of the members or former-members of that 'talented Penguins defensive pipeline'. I initially thought GMRS was bringing in all these talented young blueliners to trade them all off for wingers up top. But I think they're looking to reprogram the WHOLE group. Letang aside....maybe. Probably. But I think Sustr sees what's going on here as an enticement to sign. Just my 2 cents.

SCPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:45 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Well the organization certainly wanted to make a good impression on Sustr. They paired in camp with the best d partner available in Despres. Showed that they had more than a passing interest in him. Or that he was camp fodder.

But lots of guys would jump at a chance to play where the opportunity is greatest. However, the situation here must have intrigued him, or he would have never expected the invitation. Will be interesting to see where he goes. At least we have a foot in the door.

Last edited by td_ice: 07-15-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
I think he has EVERY reason to sign here. Competition breeds excellence. In 5 to 7 years, whether he's playing here or somewhere else in the league, they'll talk about him as one of the members or former-members of that 'talented Penguins defensive pipeline'. I initially thought GMRS was bringing in all these talented young blueliners to trade them all off for wingers up top. But I think they're looking to reprogram the WHOLE group. Letang aside....maybe. Probably. But I think Sustr sees what's going on here as an enticement to sign. Just my 2 cents.
No offense, dude, but this post is just filled with insane overrating of the NHL to foreign nationals and the prestige of being a prospect.

If Sustr is smart, there's NO reason he'd sign with us. Not that I wouldn't want him on the club, but there's really no reason for him to forgo a free education to play for us for very little money, comparatively speaking. Sustr is the very definition of a player that could do much better back home than on this club-- the KHL and the Extraliga both pay fairly well in comparison to the AHL with more room for advancement and less problems with immigration. Also, nobody in Europe gives a **** if some player played for WB/S-- your average Czech doesn't even know what country that club is in or who it's affiliated with. Unless Sustr is assured of a spot in the organization within a year or two, why wouldn't he go somewhere that can at least give him an NHL paycheck? Or, barring that, go home with a free degree and fluency in English?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Never said that.

Like, ever.

I think Tangradi will spend time between the 3rd and 2nd lines. I don't think he's a longterm 2nd-liner, although I could be wrong. He's not bad, by any stretch. Bennett is just more appealing, to me, as a top-6 option. Things can change, however.

Indeed, and let's not forget about Dustin Jeffrey either. As it stands now, we will have both Tangradi & Jeffrey all competing for top-6 spots, along with Kennedy & Dupuis. The thing about both Tangradi & Jeffrey is I think they can be really good 3rd/4th line players, even if they don't crack the top-6 initially. Tangradi can play a good grinding game and see 2nd unit PP duty, while Jeffrey can play centre or LW, and play on both special teams. Those guys are not "top-6 or bust" players.

Bennett, however, has no chance of being a 3rd or 4th liner on this team. And I don't think Shero is done making moves this summer either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
No disagreement. But I think we can learn something from Couturier, Read, Kreder, etc. and give a talented young player a spot.

Tangradi is a solid NHLer. (That's more praise than he will get from many on this board) However, he is not, at this time, a top-sixer. Neither, at this time, is Bennett.

Considering that Bennett has a better chance to play those minutes going forward, why not give him a shot for a few games? What is to lose, exactly?

No offense, but you sound like someone who has no idea what you're talking about here (even though you have intelligent posts elsewhere). Couturier is essentially the same age as guys from the 2010 draft, and was a very mature player who was the best forward in the Q for two years running. Kreider is also a year ahead of Bennett and played 3 full years in college; and Matt Read is a TWENTY-FIVE year old rookie who played a full 4 years in College!

I don't see how these players have ANY relevance on Beau Bennett, the late bloomer who essentially played one season in college + 10 games, and hasn't played a real game in about 7 months. There is virtually zero similarity to any of those guys. Perhaps you should try picking examples that are better comparables, or just be realistic and give the guy the time he needs to develop before handing him a spot he isn't ready for.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

In a few years we could have the best and deepest blue line in the league, plus Sid, Geno, and Neal. Scary to think about. Haha

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Well the organization certainly wanted to make a good impression on Sustr. They paired in camp with the best d partner available in Despres. Showed that they had more than a passing interest in him. Or that he was camp fodder.

But lots of guys would jump at a chance to play where the opportunity is greatest. However, the situation here most have intrigued him, or he would have never expected the invitation. Will be interesting to see where he goes. At least we have a foot in the door.
I think this is likely. I think Shero and company realize that he'd be a long shot to sign with us, but it's a relatively cheap way to get some good PR and make a good impression with a potential asset.

I also suspect that Sustr is going to seek other offers as well (wasn't a poster talking about how he had been offered an invitation to someone's actual training camp?) In the end, it's going to come down to two factors (none of which anyone in this organization can really do anything about): the ability for a club to outbid against another foreign league and the depth of the club in question.

But I like that we're being proactive regardless. I just don't think a Sustr non-signing is any fault of the organizations, like some people think.

(You go two years without winning the Cup and it's like people think the Nuttings are running the show here...)

Last edited by HandshakeLine: 07-15-2012 at 09:57 PM.
HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
Right...and that's coming from a point of view of a GM or coach. Players don't like competition for a job, and Sustr has a ton of it here.

I also don't think he'll sign this year. He very obviously wants to stay in school.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

But lots of guys would jump at a chance to play where the opportunity is greatest. However, the situation here most have intrigued him, or he would have never expected the invitation. Will be interesting to see where he goes. At least we have a foot in the door.
Yep, making a great impression is what these invites are all about. Mike Colligan had a good article about the process and how it ended up being a factor in landing Gibbons and Thompson, two previous camp invitees:

Quote:
Both players had a year of college eligibility left but accepted the camp invite from Shero’s player personnel assistant Tom Fitzgerald to get a sense for what the organization was all about.

In essence, the ultimate soft sell to a college free agent. No commitment necessary, just a chance to look around.

Meanwhile the Penguins get a chance to see how the undrafted players fit into their system and also expose them to all the amenities, coaches, and opportunities the team has to offer. If the experience is a positive one, the player suddenly wants to be a part of the team.

He thinks ‘If only I didn’t have to play another year in college I could meet up with the guys again at training camp a few months from now.’ He no longer dreams about what a professional career might be like…he knows. And every image in his memory bank has a skating penguin logo associated with it.

No commitment necessary, just a chance to look around. Shero, Fitzgerald, and Botterill are confident that once a player looks around, he’ll probably like what he see’s.
You can argue that too much competition would cause Sustr to choose another team, but you never know what can happen a year down the road. For all we know, by then we could've moved Martin, Morrow could've made the team, and two of our higher end defense prospects could be shipped off in a deal for a scoring winger.

All of a sudden, there's a lot more opportunity available.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote